Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Endorph posted:

its bizarre because twitter is huge in japan, its not like thats some region where they barely get any traffic. half the population uses it. facebook never took off there and tiktok is even more exclusively high school girls than it is in the west, and unlike, say, china, japan has no real equivalent region-specific social media site. the only jp-exclusive social media service is line, which is more of a messenger app.

and unlike the us where the twitter userbase is aging, teenagers use twitter a lot in japan. baffling decision, its the one region where theres potential for growth.

*sees posters av/title*

*adds this piece of information to my 'things to share about the twitter shitshow' repo*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
December 26, 2022. I think he sells it at a horrendous loss before the year is out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

Yeah, I'm not expecting Twitter to actually shut down anytime in the next few years, maybe not even in the next decade. Even Livejournal is still technically alive even though most of its users left for greener pastures in the 2010s because of either bad coding decisions or the new owners saying users must follow Russian obscenity laws (aka no gay stuff). My old e-mail still gets the occasional "Today is your friend's birthday! Go tell them hi even though you haven't logged in since 2009 and your friend died in 2011!" message.
myspace still technically exists. its just a music news site where people can post their own songs/what theyre listening to but it still functions and still has the branding.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Feb 24 2023 to overshadow from a significant anniversary.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/gerardkcohen/status/1588584461398347777?s=20&t=8g0uMqaBaKurrI-jNPGbjQ

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
March 30 2023.

I wonder how things are looking behind closed doors at the companies that are bailing on Twitter advertising right now. Are they laughing their asses off around the boardroom table, or sitting in slack jawed disbelief at the sheer incompetence of the Musk rat?

Edit because I can't numbers

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

MrQwerty posted:

yeah lol trump is only sticking to truth because he's gonna grift hundreds of millions of dollars out of it from idiots, there's nothing in twitter for him at this point

cults are loving wild

I can't find it because searching for either of these dweebs is impossible, but didn't Trump call him an rear end kissing loser or something in one of his books?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MiracleFlare posted:

Yeah, I'm not expecting Twitter to actually shut down anytime in the next few years, maybe not even in the next decade. Even Livejournal is still technically alive even though most of its users left for greener pastures in the 2010s because of either bad coding decisions or the new owners saying users must follow Russian obscenity laws (aka no gay stuff). My old e-mail still gets the occasional "Today is your friend's birthday! Go tell them hi even though you haven't logged in in a decade!" message.

Last year I got an automated “congrats on 20 years of having a Livejournal account” email and my bones turned to dust which scattered in the wind.

Really I think the main thing that will keep Twitter going for years and years is the lack of an alternative with equivalent functionality. There’s lots of platforms like discord and Reddit which work for community groups centered on specific interests, but nothing really matches the public-square aspect of Twitter which is what makes it so addictive to journalists, pundits, politics junkies and culture warriors. There’s attempts like Mastodon but they’re terrible.

Unless something like co-host somehow catches on and is able to scale up massively, there’s no clear destination for a hypothetical Twitter exodus right now.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have June 9, 2023 yet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im on a train in Japan sitting next to two australians who wont stop talking about how awesome Elon Musk is. Help me.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
july 5th, 2025 based on how tumblr went.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

January 19, 2038.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Much like Slashdot, it will probably pass through 2 or 3 different bag-holders, and stick around as a slowly shrinking cesspool of aging, bitter right-wingers. Until some subsystem that still depends on 32-bit UNIX time craps out, and the whole thing falls over because all the admin staff who actually gave a poo poo left ~15 years prior.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Entropic posted:

nothing really matches the public-square aspect of Twitter which is what makes it so addictive to journalists, pundits, politics junkies and culture warriors.

twitter as a "public square" isn't the right metaphor no matter how many time elon says it. it's more like a public bulletin board. it's great for broadcasting your message, and absolutely terrible for conversations or social interactions. nobody is going to hash out ideas on twitter or arrive at some kind of understanding or consensus.

it's true that there's no mainstream alternative, but that's really just a matter of whether an organized campaign to migrate occurs. social media sites dying and being replaced is not unprecedented, and it doesn't take long once the tipping point is reached. whatever comes next may not even exist yet.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

So handsome and so cool. We still believe in you Ms. Musk. Who cares about Elon?!? We want you to succeed!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

MiracleFlare posted:

Yeah, I'm not expecting Twitter to actually shut down anytime in the next few years, maybe not even in the next decade. Even Livejournal is still technically alive even though most of its users left for greener pastures in the 2010s because of either bad coding decisions or the new owners saying users must follow Russian obscenity laws (aka no gay stuff). My old e-mail still gets the occasional "Today is your friend's birthday! Go tell them hi even though you haven't logged in since 2009 and your friend died in 2011!" message.

Every few years for the last 12 years I pop in to see who's alive and almost every time out of the most recent times I've gone back my account gets hacked and my password for the site ends up on a pastebin somewhere.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Holy balls he fired the twitter people in Japan. That is staggeringly stupid. Twitter is the extremely popular, cool, young people thing in Japan and something basically every advertiser uses (I don't, although Elon is dumb enough to fire his legal team thats stopping me) and theres no meaningful competition.

gently caress you Elon for making LINE even more entrenched in the market, I hate working with them.

Edit: I can see that useless loving LINE reps stupid loving face grinning as he offers me a plate of nothing at higher prices.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

youd think hed keep the twitter japan team based solely on liking anime

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Analog posted:

So handsome and so cool. We still believe in you Ms. Musk. Who cares about Elon?!? We want you to succeed!

I’ve been hearing this

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
that reminds me, i gotta add squid girl and tub girl to my shitpost lineup

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

youd think hed keep the twitter japan team based solely on liking anime

The Twitter Reps probably tried explaining he likes shows for children and he flipped his poo poo.

Visa's global head for digital years ago had to be explained what Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball were when they visited Japan and that job fell to me and it sucked

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bad Purchase posted:

twitter as a "public square" isn't the right metaphor no matter how many time elon says it. it's more like a public bulletin board. it's great for broadcasting your message, and absolutely terrible for conversations or social interactions. nobody is going to hash out ideas on twitter or arrive at some kind of understanding or consensus.

it's true that there's no mainstream alternative, but that's really just a matter of whether an organized campaign to migrate occurs. social media sites dying and being replaced is not unprecedented, and it doesn't take long once the tipping point is reached. whatever comes next may not even exist yet.

I've done more thinking shitposting on this website than I ever have posting a tweet, and there is no mainstream alternative to that at all.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Entropic posted:

Last year I got an automated “congrats on 20 years of having a Livejournal account” email and my bones turned to dust which scattered in the wind.

Every couple of years I'll log back in to my Livejournal. More recently I read through all my posts from high school which turned out to be...enlighteningly cringy.

I do genuinely miss Livejournal, though. I found some good communities and I'll always miss Cleolinda Jones pop culture takes. I'm honestly more baffled to see FandomSecrets still going, although they redirect to their DreamWidth page instead of posting it there on LJ. I miss FandomWank, too, back when fandom drama could be written off as "wank" instead of everything having to be discourse nowadays.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah, the public nature of it where everything is easily visible to everyone in bite sized pieces, so stuff can go viral easily, is what draws people in but it’s also what’s terrible about it.

Small easily shareable posts are great for engagement and terrible for any kind of nuance or real conversation. The quote-tweet feature in particular is probably the most toxicity-enabling feature the site ever devised.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lmao I just found out he fired everyone except a single rep servicing one of their largest clients in China.

Fukken incredible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, Elon :allears: *audience laughter*

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Barudak posted:

The Twitter Reps probably tried explaining he likes shows for children and he flipped his poo poo.

Visa's global head for digital years ago had to be explained what Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball were when they visited Japan and that job fell to me and it sucked

I want to hear how that conversation went.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not joking that Im pretty sure one of my competitors will jump on Elon Musks desperation to make money and fire everyone with any legal knowledge in Japan and commit some rich people crimes with Twitter for Musk to find out there are devestating penalties for being the facilitator.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Endorph posted:

myspace still technically exists. its just a music news site where people can post their own songs/what theyre listening to but it still functions and still has the branding.

there's a site called spacehey that is basically just a recreated version of 2007 myspace, it has a small but dedicated userbase

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/HiMyNameisChair/status/1588629352757231616

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm feeling optimistic, bird death on may 15th, '23.

Since I'm such an optimist: this should be a serious blow to the Cult of Musk, right?
Obviously most bazingas are going to keep screaming the Musk is not owned, as they shrink into fascist corncobs, but since he's directly loving with/killing one of journalists' favourite toy this should be an end to the fawning press coverage, right?
Most journalists are not bazingas, just common morons like you* or me, and motherfucker is killing their toy.

*Ok, they're probably dumber than the average goon

I just want to believe.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:sickos:

Please kill anime Leon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

god please help me posted:

I want to hear how that conversation went.

My explanation part went fine, basically "its comics from Japan. Sailor Moon is about a highschool girl and her friends who transform to fight evil"

The bad part is where she got indignant that those stories or manga or anime were culturally relevant because she had never heard of it and started trying to get me to agree it was childish or for people who couldnt hold jobs good enough to be a worthwhile visa member while extremely senior people at Bandai Namco and Shueisha (shonen jumps owners) were in attendance.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Barudak posted:

My explanation part went fine, basically "its comics from Japan. Sailor Moon is about a highschool girl and her friends who transform to fight evil"

The bad part is where she got indignant that those stories or manga or anime were culturally relevant because she had never heard of it and started trying to get me to agree it was childish or for people who couldnt hold jobs good enough to be a worthwhile visa member while extremely senior people at Bandai Namco and Shueisha (shonen jumps owners) were in attendance.
Ouch.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Barudak posted:

:catstare:

Does she badmouth Disney back in the States too?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Barudak posted:

Oh my god that sounds insufferable. And yet at least she probably has better acumen than elon.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Sept 29, 2023.

(the day before end of Q3 FY)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Omobono posted:

:catstare:

Does she badmouth Disney back in the States too?

She was from France(?) so, presumably yes

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
October 8, 2023

281st day of next year

the mike jones number

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
July 19th 2023

Also so much of the cspam archives (and honestly this whole forum and every discord) are going to be unreadable once Twitter dies and takes the embeds with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Barudak posted:

How can you climb this high in the corporate ladder without learning that 'people in other countries like different things, even things that seem odd to you'?