Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ponzicar posted:

Well, I just found the absolute worst thing about Cultic. The default keyboard layout has quicksave right next to quickload.
Yeah I hosed that up a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ponzicar posted:

Well, I just found the absolute worst thing about Cultic. The default keyboard layout has quicksave right next to quickload.

Worst thing is there isn't more of it available to buy right now imo

More CULTIC for a hundred years, we need dozens of sequels, a miniature figure range, also an authentically dithered cultist dressing gown with some special soap. CULTIC fuckin rules

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

F6 quick save, F9 quick load
Half-Life 2 style for life.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The soap in Cultic one shotting all enemies is so silly and broken I love it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's a tribute to Dusk, which has a hidden soap in every level and it behaves the same way.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Angryhead posted:

Preach.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you gib something and it leaves behind eyes? They do the same.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally got around to trying TIME TRIPPER circuit_01 abyssal since it got a callout in the cacowards and I loved the soundtrack and oh my god it is just absolutely destroying me even on the easiest difficulty, I cannot get to grips with it whatsoever. I probably should have expected this when it opened up with two viles and a bunch of chaingunners but ow.

catlord posted:

Yeah, I didn't have consoles growing up, so my childhood platformer was Commander Keen 1 from a CGW disk. There's a project for Keen called Commander Genius that's neat.

For me it was like the entire Apogee shareware collection. Most of our games were standard UNIX fare but I don't remember that including any platformers except for (eventually) xevil (which was PvP only), but we could also run DOS games, so Cosmo, Duke Nukem, and Bio Menace got a shitload of playtime.

Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage can eat a box of dicks though. :argh:

Angryhead posted:

KP+ for save and KP/ for load, for me, and I operate them with my mouse hand.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

F5 (quicksave)and F9(quickload). None of this F6 business. Outta here with that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has anyone been able to get the “Plug up a toilet with body parts” achievement? I succeeded in just breaking the toilets I tried it on.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Has anyone been able to get the “Plug up a toilet with body parts” achievement? I succeeded in just breaking the toilets I tried it on.

I actually just got it. I found I had to stand on the toilet, and look forward, so I could drop the body part without flushing the toilet. Then flushing it. I think it only needed a couple of body parts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pope Guilty posted:

If you gib something and it leaves behind eyes? They do the same.

Does it work against harvesters? They are so tough in extreme. I have no idea how much lead I sank into them. Even dynamite feels weak

e: yeah, drop it with use, don't attack it

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

manero posted:

I actually just got it. I found I had to stand on the toilet, and look forward, so I could drop the body part without flushing the toilet. Then flushing it. I think it only needed a couple of body parts.
Yeah I had to do this with a few arms and eyeballs then the achievement popped up once I tried flushing it a couple times

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does it work against harvesters? They are so tough in extreme. I have no idea how much lead I sank into them. Even dynamite feels weak

e: yeah, drop it with use, don't attack it

Anything bigger a cultist/skeleton, the secret sauce is setting it on fire and keeping it in the fire for a few seconds.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's one or two times where you can sneak up on a Harvester without getting it's attention, best thing to do is toss a couple unlit sticks of dynamite their way and then set them off to atomize it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does the third fire mode for the dynamite have any actual use? Also, anything else have a third fire mode

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does the third fire mode for the dynamite have any actual use? Also, anything else have a third fire mode

Presumably it covers a larger area than a regular dynamite bundle would, though I imagine it probably does less damage that way too

I think the Molotov is the only other weapon with more than a primary or secondary fire mode, though I ended up barely using those between them being less common than dynamite, how common lanterns are in most levels, and by the later parts of the game having the flamethrower in your arsenal

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've been using the cluster bomb for small groups of lower-level mooks or if I know there are some guys I can't exactly see. The individual sticks will still properly gently caress up a cultist.

The molotov also has a hilarious third fire option.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ToxicFrog posted:

KP+ for save and KP/ for load, for me, and I operate them with my mouse hand.
I did this for awhile (what had this originally? Deus Ex?) but alas I am without a numpad these days

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i don’t have a numpad or f keys so i have them bound to minus and plus in the number row

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Flubby posted:

F5 (quicksave)and F9(quickload). None of this F6 business. Outta here with that.

drat straight

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
f5/f6 saves for me, varies by game. quickload needs to be far away from that though, f9-f12

Thief had a strange quicksave as alt+s which I got a little too comfortable with in my playthroughs. I was saving like every 8 steps and around every guard

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Weedle posted:

i don’t have a numpad or f keys

gross

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Just this October I went through Blood: Death Wish and Ashes 2063 for the first time. Then Incision and Cultic. I'm just completely spoiled right now. It's disgusting and I'm getting away with it. Maybe it's because I just went through so many greats recently, but I'm a little lukewarm on Turbo Overkill. It's ok I guess. Like the busy cyberpunk background and holograms and gibbing. Not so hot on the enemy designs, Borderlands style vendors, or weapons. Maybe it will grow on me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HolyKrap posted:

f5/f6 saves for me, varies by game. quickload needs to be far away from that though, f9-f12

This is me too. I don't care if it's F5 or F6, but it needs to be at least 2 or 3 keys away from quickload.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Holy moly I think The Crypts is where things really start to get impossible on extreme. You get dropped into a very tight fight with those leaping zombies and a gorilla skeleton. There's no room at all to work. I kinda doubt you won't take at least some damage

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Milo and POTUS posted:

Holy moly I think The Crypts is where things really start to get impossible on extreme. You get dropped into a very tight fight with those leaping zombies and a gorilla skeleton. There's no room at all to work. I kinda doubt you won't take at least some damage

You can take them all out fairly easily with a molotov

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

HolyKrap posted:

You can take them all out fairly easily with a molotov

Yeah I've found fire to be great in those situations. A well-placed molotov can kill 4-6 Corpses and serve as area denial for the ones that aren't instantly immolated. While lanterns are less effective, both can be more efficient than trying to dispatch mobs of them with bullets.

On that same note, you can often one-hit-kill a Brute with a molotov. As far as I can tell, they're effectively dead the moment they catch on fire; I've definitely managed to set a few on fire with a single molotov and nothing else (even on Extreme difficulty) which can kind of trivialize them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Idk, they seem pretty content to just charge through it in my experience. All the big squishy enemies don't seem to instantly catch like the cultists et al. And in the tiny area you're liable to find your own flame. I did end up getting him but it cost me 3 rolls of tnt and I'm dreadfully low going into the midgame boss battle. I'm maxed up on armors and health but at this difficulty it doesn't feel like much lol.

Also, those ghosts in the flooded room are horrible; there's really no way to get them without taking some damage.

e: squishy, meant spongy. Woops

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 5, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I almost always start Brutes off with a molotov whenever possible, but I think there's something inconsistent about getting them to rapidly immolate--maybe it has an RNG component. Sometimes you have to do a little fancy circlestrafing to get them to stand in the flame AOE long enough, soften them up with a few shots. I've found it's usually a pretty effective strategy and ends up saving a lump of ammo because of how bulletspongey they can otherwise be.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Is there any way to turn mouselook on in Doom 1 on Steam? The lack of Y axis movement is annoying me

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
No , there isn't.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you're on PC, there's an easy fix. Download GZdoom for free and then either import the WADs from your steam download or if they make that impossible somehow then the WADs are available on archive.org

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can get the WADs off the Steam version but it’s still easier for me to just Google doom.wad and click whatever the first link is

Don’t arrest me I own like 15 copies of Doom

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

GZDoom should automatically detect iwads from Steam/GOG installs

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

All this talk about Cultic and I just realized tonight--after 13(?) hours--that the lever action rifle has an alt-fire. I have NO idea how I managed to be oblivious to this.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Cool, thanks.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Not only did I not see the slam fire option for the lever action, I didn't know about the dynamite/molotov combo til my second playthrough. DOH.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm still not certain what the alt fire for either the lever action rifle or the grenade launcher actually do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The mare's leg levering just doubles the rate of fire, which means you have less time to acquire heads between shots but makes it good up close in situations where you need minimal aim adjustments to keep hitting heads, like big monsters or tight groups of cultists you forgot to pull dynamite out for.

The China Lake slamfire does basically the same thing if you've never purchased it. It's not particularly useful in my experience since most things you shoot will die to a single grenade (especially upgraded) and big monsters are better dealt with with fire, but it is fun.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 5, 2022