Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I had a chance to buy an entire dining set of those plates at an estate sale for $200 and I really regret not getting them.

That gelatin is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Growing up my mom went ape poo poo for some recipe she got from Mormons called "party chicken."

You take a bunch of chicken breasts, some sliced swiss cheese and bacon, layer them as such in a baking dish, and dump a bunch of cream of mushroom on it until you can't see what's underneath. Then cook until the chicken breasts are overdone. I think my mom liked it because there was no effort involved.

my only reference for mormon party food has led me to believe that mormon parties are not very good.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

hallo spacedog posted:

I suppose this isn't totally incorrect, but there's a surprisingly big difference between adding oil and egg separately at different steps or together, as mayo.

my lemon mayorengue pie disagrees

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Pookah posted:

A much loved childhood recipe in our house was "chicken and broccoli"
Basically, you poach some skin-on chicken legs, skin them and strip off the meat in chunks.
Mix said meat with a can of condensed mushroom soup plus 1 big tablespoon of mayo.
Cook a head of broccoli, broken down into big florets.
Take 1 Dutch oven - make a layer of broccoli at the bottom, top with your chicken goop, top that with cheesy breadcrumbs, or a much better option, mashed potatoes topped with cheese.
Bake til golden
Eat.

I haven't had it in 20 years, but I bet its still pretty tasty.

(My mother was not a good cook, why do you ask?)

we had something similar and it was delicious. i still have the 30+ year old community cookbook from my childhood that has the recipe, complete with mystery splatter

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm the delicately measured half-teaspoon of curry powder mixed in with more than a pound of broccoli and multiple cans of soup.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i knew the contributor of that one. she was born in Indiana and considered ketchup "too spicy". nice lady though

i just add more when i make it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1517933824906346497
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1520100608102912000
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1579632875099623424

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
drat I want some of that adult baby food

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Your beef burgundy, sir *unscrews lid from jar and dips spoon in*

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Your beef burgundy, sir *unscrews lid from jar and dips spoon in*

here comes the airplane

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Doesn't seem bad, although I'm going to assume they used lovely chocolate for it.

That was a weird time for condiments in general.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Haifisch posted:

Doesn't seem bad, although I'm going to assume they used lovely chocolate for it.

Yeah those just sound like Hershey's Hugs but in a novelty shape, I'd give it a shot

Tbh the colored ketchup always felt "wrong" to me even when it came out (despite me ostensibly being in the target demo at the time of release)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Haifisch posted:

That was a weird time for condiments in general.

The only use I ever found for green tomato sauce was to create blood effects for a high school stop-motion army men film project. We had green sauce, red sauce and mustard for the three armies. It was disgusting.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

On top of it loving up your lungs, you'll look completely loving ridiculous using it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0YdqFPbSpc

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I remember the colored ketchup as having a slightly gritty texture, like what was giving it the color was a fine sand mixed in.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

City of Glompton posted:

we had something similar and it was delicious. i still have the 30+ year old community cookbook from my childhood that has the recipe, complete with mystery splatter

Amazing!
I remember that our version arrived as a handwritten note from my Aunt. Never knew where she got it. (This was in Ireland, in the early '90s)

edit: I just did a little googling, and the original dish was called "Chicken Divan", and was a signature dish in the Divan Parisienne Restaurant, in new York in the 1940's. It was considered a fancy, dinner-party dish well into the 1970's.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Nov 5, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Man I could really go for that fine Colombian cheese, that smooth white creamyness gets me going every time!
LET'S PARTY

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Shaped chocolate stapled to the top of a piping hot pizza box? When these were taken out of their package they can’t have been anything other than a soft chocolate mess.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Porfiriato posted:

I'm the delicately measured half-teaspoon of curry powder mixed in with more than a pound of broccoli and multiple cans of soup.
I'm not sure what the point is.

"Cream cheese" is a new slang term, but sure.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Nov 5, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Shaped chocolate stapled to the top of a piping hot pizza box? When these were taken out of their package they can’t have been anything other than a soft chocolate mess.
Who wants to eat cold ravioli, ew

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

put it all over my pizza:

e,c:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Nov 5, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oddly colored condiments just remind me of this oddity I remember from my childhood:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

LifeSunDeath posted:

put it all over my pizza:

e,c:

Lidl had something like this and we tried it.

It wasn't good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I could see pumpkin adding some nice background to a tomato pasta sauce, I've done that a couple times with grated carrots. But yeah, full-on pumpkin sauce sounds weird.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Pasta sauce needs to have a sharp flavour because you pour it on bland cooked dough, pumpkin is almost as bland as the pasta.
Pureed pumpkin is great for soups and quiche and such but I guess they figured people won't buy it for those.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I made a pasta with a pumpkin sauce a couple weeks ago and it was delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNqEzMyMXA

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The problem was it was made way too sweet honestly. My mom makes a pumpkin lasagna some years for Thanksgiving and it's great

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So your sauce is reinforced with plenty of sausage meat, that sounds tasty but it's quite different from trying to flavour stuff with just pumpkin and some spices.
Tomato paste OTOH works quite well with some just spices and a bit of vingre because it's packed with flavour.

Not saying you need to cook like that, just making the point that pumpkin by itself is not very flavourful.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Just today I made some delicious pumpkin soup that had pasta in it, I can see something similar working as a normal pasta sauce. It's even spiced similarly to sweet pumpkin applications, since I used cloves, star anise, and cinnamon (along with bay leaves, cumin, onion, garlic, and fresh chilis). Obviously you wouldn't want something super sweet on your pasta so leave out the sugar, but they've definitely got the start of a decent idea there.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Pumpkin ravioli is already a thing, so just turn one inside out. Bam, pasta in a pumpkin sauce.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I make vegan pumpkin sauce macaroni and cheese. It’s good but it needs a bit of chili to cut through the sweetness and a ton of nutritional yeast for the umami. Otherwise it would taste like pasta with jelly I guess.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

City of Glompton posted:

"Cook broccoli according to package directions" is unreasonably upsetting me. Why is your broccoli in a package.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

LOL if Enrique doesn't harvest the broccoli himself before cooking it to perfection and serving it to you on a silver platter.

Homemakers sometimes have busy schedules is what I'm saying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Butterfly Valley posted:

"Cook broccoli according to package directions" is unreasonably upsetting me. Why is your broccoli in a package.
A variety of produce related developments never really took hold till the 80s or some places maybe the 90s: transport resilient cultivars, convincing the 3rd world to willingly turn themselves back to plantations, irrigating California to the point of affordability, hooking that all up to the global supply chain etc. Your broccoli came from a garden or a farmers market for a few weeks a year but really you're eating it out of a can or maybe a frozen bag if you're fortunate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

God I will never get the taste of frozen carrot chunks out of my mouth. Not even dick can wipe out that horror

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I will never stop being grateful that I can get a giant head of fresh broccoli all year round for 99c. That's not per lb/kg; my big ol broccoli costs that much per unit.
Unless I want to buy a "broccoli crown", then it costs an extra 50% for someone to cut off the stem for me. It costs a lot more and I get less broccoli, its the perfect scam.

Edit: frozen peas are usually better than fresh, frozen Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots... pretty much everything else, is extremely nasty.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Pictured: demonstrably not a great pizza.