Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when puzzles are unfaqable, like the clock puzzles in FF13-2 that only are beatable with online algorithms because they have exponential complexity. It's dumb, but hilarious. I also like Gamefaqs for certain niche guides, like one 100% guide for Xenoblade Chronicles X where a huge section is fleeing enemies to find a bunch of discoveries in areas you aren't meant to be in yet. "Run to the left, then hook right around the tree and sprint past the level 80 dragonfly. Then you will find the Nopon Ropeway" etc. That's a fun one to try to follow. THis was the FAQ btw, it's ridiculously comprehensive. It's not just 100%, it's trying to be an efficient run: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/wii-u/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/faqs/73370

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a famously well-writen Super Metroid guide on GameFAQs. Not so much because of the prose, or clarity or thoroughness of the guide, no. It's well-written because every line is exactly the same width, done in a monospaced font entirely via word choice.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a famously well-writen Super Metroid guide on GameFAQs. Not so much because of the prose, or clarity or thoroughness of the guide, no. It's well-written because every line is exactly the same width, done in a monospaced font entirely via word choice.

It's beautiful

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:perfect:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I remember when it was Sega Sages.

Man I'm really really enjoying Vampyr, but what I really like about it is that I thought it was going to be a game about being a vampire but it is actually a game about being a little gossip bitch

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something fun with the early optional objectives in Olli Olli World is that they require you to master certain techniques, like after learning to grind there is an objective to collect starfish that I didn't do my first run of that level, but on returning to it I figured out the trick - you can jump off a grind rail slightly late and have a tiny bit of coyote time, and doing that gives you the right horizontal motion to grab the starfish instead of sailing right over them. Also I'm getting better at stringing manuals and grinds and spins into combos, which is surprisingly tricky because of the simple control scheme.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vandar posted:

Still not as bad as the official guide for Final Fantasy IX, where every other paragraph told you to go to the PlayOnline website to find the information you wanted!

https://kotaku.com/the-worst-strategy-guide-ever-made-1702827492

I feel like they're bad in different ways. But everyone knows about the FFIX one, I feel the need to really shout out just how terrible the MK9 one was whenever we can, we need new blood in the 'lovely official guide' space!

EDIT: ...what other game series have a numbered ninth installment? Maybe there's a pattern and every official guide for a ninth installment of a series is just gonna be an entirely new flavor of absolute dogshit.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Nov 5, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

credburn posted:

I remember when it was Sega Sages.

Man I'm really really enjoying Vampyr, but what I really like about it is that I thought it was going to be a game about being a vampire but it is actually a game about being a little gossip bitch

Are there any particular tips for enjoying it? I have it on my ps4 but haven't started yet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I feel like they're bad in different ways. But everyone knows about the FFIX one, I feel the need to really shout out just how terrible the MK9 one was whenever we can, we need new blood in the 'lovely official guide' space!

EDIT: ...what other game series have a numbered ninth installment? Maybe there's a pattern and every official guide for a ninth installment of a series is just gonna be an entirely new flavor of absolute dogshit.

There was Megaman 9. Did that have an official guide?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Vandar posted:

Still not as bad as the official guide for Final Fantasy IX, where every other paragraph told you to go to the PlayOnline website to find the information you wanted!

https://kotaku.com/the-worst-strategy-guide-ever-made-1702827492

That guide has apparently become a small collector's item now. I found my old copy and decided to put it up on eBay starting at $15 and I immediately got someone offering $25. I almost took it but then realized that guy probably knows something I didn't. I let the auction play out and sold it for $80.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

QUICK SOMEONE FIND THE OFFICIAL DRAGON QUEST IX GUIDE!

DQIX was loving rad. I'd love for it get a port to a modern system.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I appreciate that Metroid: Dread has an option to just toggle your boosters for the super speed run move, and has a clear explanation/activation for Shinespark. Also like that they just said “gently caress it” and had sections of the map with secrets glowing instead of compulsively bombing/beaming every area.

Oh, and I can’t remember for sure how it worked in other games, but it’s a great UI thing that you can see what doors are on the map have what locks on them so you can remember to go back to old areas easier with new powerups. I feel like Dread does a good job at not handholding too much wrt explanation in general, ADAM explains mechanics like EMMI evasion which are basically all new but basic game stuff how to do X is just a little blurb since it could be someone’s first Metroid.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

sebmojo posted:

Are there any particular tips for enjoying it? I have it on my ps4 but haven't started yet.

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Vampyr

One tip that isn't on there is that the ending differences are just 2 minutes at the very end. More reason to not do a "best" ending run where you don't drain anyone dry. Denying yourself blood (= XP) makes things needlessly harder at times and near the end there's one prick in particular who just deserves to be emptied.

That page also isn't lying about the Abyss skill being good. Any fight that is proving too tough can basicaly become Abyss > dodge a minute until cooldown > repeat. It's pretty miserable, but at least you won't be stuck.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I was going to ask eventually if sparing everyone had any actual difference, since it is getting kind of difficult. So far I've not killed anyone, and I wish I'd read that beforeiplay because I did go out and explore and I did encounter a person in distress, but because I was like level 5 and the bad guys were level 16, I couldn't do anything about it and now that person is dead. Which would feel very satisfying in one sense because it's kind of immersive, it's consistent with the world and themes and atmosphere, but it pisses me the hell off because I know about scripted events and game mechanics.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I liked the guidebooks that were like 1/3 regurgitating info already in the game, 1/3 deeper lore, and 1/3 actual tips.

Incredible.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A game guide should be like a really good TTRPG splatbook.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was on the translating team for Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, and I like that the official strategy guide included a screenshot with my Planet of the Apes reference that got cut in the final game. :kiddo:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

credburn posted:

I was going to ask eventually if sparing everyone had any actual difference, since it is getting kind of difficult. So far I've not killed anyone, and I wish I'd read that beforeiplay because I did go out and explore and I did encounter a person in distress, but because I was like level 5 and the bad guys were level 16, I couldn't do anything about it and now that person is dead. Which would feel very satisfying in one sense because it's kind of immersive, it's consistent with the world and themes and atmosphere, but it pisses me the hell off because I know about scripted events and game mechanics.

I am guessing it was the old man behind the gate, right? Because that tip is my sole contribution to that page. I frequent the Before I play thread and used that page when I started playing Vampyr, but it did not have that tidbit yet. When it happened I just loaded an older save and replayed an half hour or so. Immersion be damned, I wanted to keep every citizen safe!
(again, not worth the hassle, save it for a second playthrough or such)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beaten Olli Olli world, I like the postgame challenges. It's not just something boring like a high score, it's a more specific thing like "Get through the level without hitting a kicker ramp" which is far more interesting to practice.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

There's even a question in the faq section addressing this. Excellent dedication

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Death Stranding has ramps you can set up to let people do jumps from in their vehicles. I only just now realized you can just run up to them on foot, and it'll still go into radical slow motion mode as you jump off the ramp. Sorry, person I'm carrying on my back, we're gonna be doing some sweet tricks here :getin:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The janky janky janky vehicle mechanics in Death Stranding made traversing over rocky craggy broken earth hilarious on the motorcycle. Just constantly defying physics, this bike thrusting and lunging, somehow getting over seemingly impossible obstacles through jank

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Skyrim Horse of the Future!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

The janky janky janky vehicle mechanics in Death Stranding made traversing over rocky craggy broken earth hilarious on the motorcycle. Just constantly defying physics, this bike thrusting and lunging, somehow getting over seemingly impossible obstacles through jank

It is pretty funny that the first main mission you get after being able to construct a motorbike takes you through a giant field of boulders and rock outcroppings. Really gives you a feel for what you're capable of traversing by slowly bumping and bouncing your way through.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Skyrim Horse of the Future!

I was thinking the Mako was back

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Death Stranding has ramps you can set up to let people do jumps from in their vehicles. I only just now realized you can just run up to them on foot, and it'll still go into radical slow motion mode as you jump off the ramp. Sorry, person I'm carrying on my back, we're gonna be doing some sweet tricks here :getin:

Floating carrier skateboard is one of my favorite things, and the ramps make them even better.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was thinking the Mako was back

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
mass effect four will have the mako death stranding be a thing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grognan posted:

mass effect four will have the mako death stranding be a thing

Five. You forgot Andromeda exists, and quite frankly I apologize for reminding you it does.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Andromeda was the fourth mass effect but it wasn’t mass effect 4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
m4ss effect

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
they called the third Xbox the Xbox 1

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sally posted:

they called the third Xbox the Xbox 1

Which blows me away because I and most people I know call the Playstations, Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. We still call them XBox 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Since nobody cares about the XBox 3 (XBox One) anyway, it doesn't really matter. I don't even know what the newest XBox is called because it's similar to the weird re-release of the XBox 3? It's like the XBox Series X or something. I call it XBox 4 and people know what I'm talking about. What a loving awful job. Nintendo is the only one that evaded a sequence.

Battlefield 1 is the sequel to Battlefield 4

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

Wasn't that one at least set during WW 1? At least it has some logic behind calling it 1 (I'm honestly confused about what the current Xboxs are called, and have no idea if there's any rhyme or reason behind their names)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

Which blows me away because I and most people I know call the Playstations, Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. We still call them XBox 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Since nobody cares about the XBox 3 (XBox One) anyway, it doesn't really matter. I don't even know what the newest XBox is called because it's similar to the weird re-release of the XBox 3? It's like the XBox Series X or something. I call it XBox 4 and people know what I'm talking about. What a loving awful job. Nintendo is the only one that evaded a sequence.

I've never heard anyone call them by Xbox 1 2 3 or 4 but maybe I'm in the minority on this one

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Randalor posted:

Wasn't that one at least set during WW 1? At least it has some logic behind calling it 1 (I'm honestly confused about what the current Xboxs are called, and have no idea if there's any rhyme or reason behind their names)

The reason they're not called XBox 1/2/3 etc is, and this may be apocryphal so feel free to correct me, because it would mean that the Xbox 4 would be on shelves next to the PS5 and they think a lot of consumers would look at that and want to get the console with the larger number.

Then again they came out with the Xbox One so who the gently caress knows

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just think where Nintendo would be if they'd followed the numbering convention. The NES4 would've dominated the PS2 by sheer number power.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Xbox's deranged naming scheme has made it harder than ever to be a clueless old lady trying to buy a nice Christmas present for her gamer grandson

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is the same company that skipped "Windows 9" because it would screw with old code that referred to Windows 95 and Windows 98.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
You have the
Xbox, which was probably a shortening of the DirectX Box
Xbox 360, probably to not be the Xbox 2 against the Playstation 3
Xbox 360 Elite, bigger HD, hdmi port
Xbox One, because it was meant to be your all in one TV, movies, streaming, games device
Xbox One S, I think this added 4k or HDR or something but otherwise kept the rest of the specs
Xbox One X, more powerful Xbox One spec, like the Playstation 4 Pro

The current two are
Xbox Series S, less powerful of the two, digital only
Xbox Series X, more powerful of the two, has a disc drive

Shiroc has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Nov 8, 2022