Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If you get a chance you should check out the two pilots to Columbo, although they are not normally included in the season 1-7 collection you see streaming. They are recognizable as Columbo episodes but the character dynamics are wildly different. The murderers are far less arrogant and call Columbo out that they see through his act. Also in the first one he is fairly clean cut and his detective work is pretty unsavory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Rian Johnson is making a TV series starring Natasha Lyonne as a Columbo-type, called Poker Face, but it's not coming out for a while.

I will be watching this. I hope it's good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/entertainment/westworld-canceled/index.html

Well poo poo. They had planned on wrapping everything up with season 5. I imagine this is part of the new regime just gutting everything over at Warner Brothers. I imagine other than Game of Thrones properties, HBO is going to go through another era of canceling all the big budget shows and greenlighting a bunch of low budget shows nobody will watch like they did 15 years ago when they canceled Rome and Carnivale and started pushing stuff like John from Cincinnati and Tell Me You Love Me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
John From Cincinnati owned.

Westworld deserved to be cancelled after season two.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
They're going to cancel The Last of Us before it premieres

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hot take: "free with ads" is not fuckin free.

In Europe viewers earn PTO and are paid a living wage during the ads

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

mcmagic posted:

I will be watching this. I hope it's good.

I honestly think it's a combo that even if it's not great will at least have some gems that make it worthwhile. I can't imagine a total dud.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the mass cancellations are specifically for HBO max programming, I think normal HBO/broadcast stuff isn't actually part of that arrangement.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the mass cancellations are specifically for HBO max programming, I think normal HBO/broadcast stuff isn't actually part of that arrangement.

Westworld was one of the premiere HBO shows, it predated HBO Max

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes, which is why its cancellation was not part of the HBO max shenanigans.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We watched the first episode of Columbo and now I want to be Columbo.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Westworld season one and two was an entertaining prestige series that won a lot of awards and had good ratings. Westworld season three and four was none of those things, but it was still really expensive. I remember when it first premiered and it was a huge hit and was obviously HBO’s next big thing. But that was six years ago and it’s not that surprising that it was canceled when you look at the major viewership decline and negative reviews combined with the very large budget.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Roku presents T mobiles ad filled by hobby lobby and cvs free showing of Weird: a Al Yankovik story
It like all Funny or Die presentations, with help from Tango, and the Roku Channel it's got the elements we all love like the newest peewee movie but it's missing the soul and fun of it's standard UHF

It's a solid C movie

Edit:I originally wrote this on the third commercial break now I'm past the halfway point this movie blows, I blame the cowriter/director on this and maybe half the production companies

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 5, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I was totally into Weird. It's a pretty funny take on biopics and pretty funny throughout IMO. Although I also watched it ad free because who the gently caress even has Roku TV?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I did enjoy Weird, but it's definitely more of an extended Funny or Die skit than something on the caliber of Walk Hard. Granted, I'm sure it had 1/20th the budget.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Weird Al was fun enough, I would definitely rank it below Walk Hard and Popstar but it's got some good laughs

Also watching GDT's Cabinet of Curiosities and it's a bit of a mixed bag so far but I love that there are just two straight-up Lovecraft adaptations right in the middle lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Glottis posted:

I did enjoy Weird, but it's definitely more of an extended Funny or Die skit than something on the caliber of Walk Hard. Granted, I'm sure it had 1/20th the budget.

Yea this is fair really. But you can only expect so much from a made for Roku movie. Also I might be biased as I'm a pretty big Weird Al fan... Also as a bonus the 5 of the songs in the movie, Weird Al rerecorded for the movie so the songs are much better quality than the 1980s versions!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

The Modern Leper posted:

Yay! An opportunity to cross post this masterpiece

Top link, thanks!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wolfsheim posted:

there are just two straight-up Lovecraft adaptations right in the middle lol

That's being generous. There's one story that could be called a loose adaptation, and then the director of Twilight made an episode that somehow got mislabeled as "Dreams In The Witch House."

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Weird was great IMO, not on the level of Walk Hard but pretty drat funny throughout.

e: by the time they showed the origins of Eat It I was fully on board

e2: so many great cameos at the Dr. Demento pool party too

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 5, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn’t even realize Westworld season 4 had come out. Was it advertised anywhere? Is it worth watching?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I didn’t even realize Westworld season 4 had come out. Was it advertised anywhere? Is it worth watching?

If you like the scifi elements of season 3, you'll probably like season 4. I'm just surprised that they ended it as they had definitely set season 5 up as the definite ending. Canceling it, they leave it at humanity is essentially extinct

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

If you like the scifi elements of season 3, you'll probably like season 4. I'm just surprised that they ended it as they had definitely set season 5 up as the definite ending. Canceling it, they leave it at humanity is essentially extinct

I do like it when shows have happy endings

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As a big fan of Weird Al, I absolutely loved Weird. Not sure what the mileage is if you're not a fan though

Edit: Also Radcliffe really got ripped, dang

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, I wouldn't call Weird a total laugh riot all the way through, but I still loved it and I was grinning like a lunatic all the way through. It definitely helps being a longtime Weird Al fan, and at least being somewhat familiar with his life and all that.

Daniel Radcliffe doesn't really sell you on "being" Weird Al, but he sells you on being a character named "Weird Al" in a cheesy Oscar bait-style biopic. Rainn Wilson was phenomenal as Dr. Demento though, I think he was the highlight of the movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Only part that got a laugh out of me is emo Phillips as Dali

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I laughed at several parts, but yeah I was laughing at that Dali bit and I didn't know why it was so naturally funny, and then when it dawned on me who was playing him it was even funnier.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The meta joke of the music studio exec cursing out Radcliffe Al while actual Al is sitting next to him was pretty funny

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

McCloud posted:

The meta joke of the music studio exec cursing out Radcliffe Al while actual Al is sitting next to him was pretty funny

Yeah this slew me. The movie ruled. Gonna go watch UHF again now

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
holy poo poo

HOW DO YOU gently caress UP "ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT" LIKE THAT

HOW

like what in the gently caress, Netflix? Are you guys capable of adapting ANYTHING without it being hosed with and destroyed???!

I'm livid. It was one of my favorite books growing up, and they butchered it. I don't care how great the production values were, I don't care how amazing the industrialist score was, I don't give a gently caress that they did everything they could to make it authentic -- they trimmed the story to the last week of the war, instead of almost the entire war. They even changed Paul's death. Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? God damnit, I hate Netflix.

And they're the ones doing "The Three Body Problem" series next year. Just god loving damnit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well The Three Body Problem is not a good book so the bar should be low!

(I did like some of the ideas behind it but the writing was not great... So I'm still excited for the show).

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Well The Three Body Problem is not a good book so the bar should be low!

(I did like some of the ideas behind it but the writing was not great... So I'm still excited for the show).

Off topic, but Three Body Problem is easily the worst in the book trilogy. It has too many characters and wastes too much time inside the “game” and cultural revolution stuff. Dark Forest and Deaths End are worlds better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are any of the Netflix original comedies actually funny?

Yes, I am watching their new show right now, why do you ask?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Westworld is about Weird A.I.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The wrong missy

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Bojack, Kimmy Schmidt (known quantities)
Ms. Dynamite (maybe little watched)
American Vandal Season 1 (maybe the best pure comedy they've put out)
Grace and Frankie (YMMV, but there are a lot of good actors with a lot of great chemistry)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sock The Great posted:

Off topic, but Three Body Problem is easily the worst in the book trilogy. It has too many characters and wastes too much time inside the “game” and cultural revolution stuff. Dark Forest and Deaths End are worlds better.

Ohh I haven't started those so that's good to hear

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

smackfu posted:

Are any of the Netflix original comedies actually funny?

Yes, I am watching their new show right now, why do you ask?

You mean Blockbuster? I laughed when it showed they have a "White Savior" section with movies like The Blind Side and Freedom Writers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

Bojack, Kimmy Schmidt (known quantities)
Ms. Dynamite (maybe little watched)
American Vandal Season 1 (maybe the best pure comedy they've put out)
Grace and Frankie (YMMV, but there are a lot of good actors with a lot of great chemistry)

Kimmy Schmidt, their funniest comedy IMO, was an acquisition. They didn't make the first season, they just bought it when NBC dropped it.

Same thing's happening with the upcoming third season of Girls5Eva, lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Lot of cameos in Weird! I saw Scott Aukerman!!!