Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Dug up a 500gb SSD I had and put it in a matchy $12 enclosure and got a small travel router to hook it up to.

This thing is more accessory than console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I don't trust that left memory card

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I don't trust that left memory card

Yes it is definitely from eBay and came with all the trappings necessary to free me from the bounds of retail discs. Hasn't failed me so far.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Dug up a 500gb SSD I had and put it in a matchy $12 enclosure and got a small travel router to hook it up to.

I really want to set something like this up. I have a 500gb internal in an old 5000 model with a broken disc drive, and a super slim 9000 model that has a modchip.
I can burn DVDs for the super slim if I wanted but I feel like I want to preserve the laser for playing legit games. Need to grab one of those travel routers!
It would be great if OPL had native CHD support or something to really cram the hard-drive full of stuff. I know PS2 has so many licenced games and pachinko releases but I would still love a full set.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I too have a "phat with a busted laser" that I have a giant internal drive (2TB) but this method is way way way faster. You don't even need to use any special applications to put the ISOs on the drive. You just drag and drop. If I had the discretionary money I'd get a giant SSD and only use the router method.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
CHD has too much decompression overhead for OPL to ever support it, I think

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I too have a "phat with a busted laser" that I have a giant internal drive (2TB) but this method is way way way faster. You don't even need to use any special applications to put the ISOs on the drive. You just drag and drop. If I had the discretionary money I'd get a giant SSD and only use the router method.
Man that sounds so good.

kirbysuperstar posted:

CHD has too much decompression overhead for OPL to ever support it, I think
Yes I did read that. Another reason why a proper ODE (with say an FPGA to handle decompression) would be so nice.

Alright one thing I didn't consider is maybe setting up a retroNAS.
Has anyone here done that?
I currently point my MiSTer to my NAS storage on my home network and love it, but it seems that connecting OPL to my home network might expose some security issues.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but could I get a VM of Debian/RetroNAS running on my main gaming PC, give it access to a folder on the gaming PC, and have the MiSTer and OPL point to it?
I assume I'd need a travel router, but I'd probably have to get one with two ports to allow a hardwire connection to the VM and to the PS2 right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah you can do that. OPL only works with SMBv1 which is a security hole nightmare but if you keep that NAS vlan'd off your main home network it's fine. I'm not sure on what retronas is specifically but I assume they have some sort of compensation for that

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah you can do that. OPL only works with SMBv1 which is a security hole nightmare but if you keep that NAS vlan'd off your main home network it's fine. I'm not sure on what retronas is specifically but I assume they have some sort of compensation for that

Yeah I’m just not sure if RetroNAS can do a closed network. I guess since my MiSTer is the only other system I need NAS access to, I can just leave that as it is and use USB storage for the PS2 set up. I just want to avoid buying a USB storage drive if I can but it’s not a huge deal (and keep OPL off my main network).

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
Personally think a ps2 ode would change a lot, could maybe mean ez psx emulation

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Last night I tried to play Fatal Frame 3 because it was a spooky time of year but my wife asked for me to please stop.

Today I played a bunch of Flipnic, Lumines, and Puzzle Quest. Puzzle Quest especially was exactly the kind of game I wanted to play.

Question: do you think it would work if one purchased four of the Brook controller adapters and plugged them into a multitap?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't see why not, the adapter is just passing along the signals.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just wasn't sure if I'd run up against a power draw issue.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Today I played a bunch of Flipnic, Lumines, and Puzzle Quest. Puzzle Quest especially was exactly the kind of game I wanted to play.

Thank you for letting me know Puzzle Quest was ported to the PS2. I thought it was only on portable platforms.

All this talk of loading ISOs by network has me reevaluating my set up. I only have a mac, so I either have to run a VM with WinHiip or HDLdump via CLI. The former is fast but a slog, the latter is easy as pie but the transfer speed is ridiculously slow for some reason. Drag and drop options sound super nice.

I know internal HDD is meant to have the best compatibility, but are there any example of Network loading being worse or is it just a little slower?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Last night I tried to play Fatal Frame 3 because it was a spooky time of year but my wife asked for me to please stop.

Question: do you think it would work if one purchased four of the Brook controller adapters and plugged them into a multitap?

I haven’t gotten to use one of their new ones, but the older model can be powered via USB so you can just run them all into a powered usb hub if they take too much juice

Mine barely work if they’re not plugged into usb for more power anyway

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Oh cool, I forget sometimes that there's a Retro Games forum. I actually finally upgraded to Win10 recently, partially because the newer, prettier version of PCSX2 with cover art didnt work on Win7 (that I could tell atleast):

Feel like games lose a lot of their flavor when you don't see their cover art/promo material/manuals.

I really enjoy curating my ROM/ISO collections specifically for good or unique games, with a bias towards the best available versions (or sequels that out-do the originals) & a softness for nostalgia (Duelists of the Roses is not a good game, MMXC is outdone by the more recent collections, but I grew up with both).

If anyone has any suggestions for unique, exclusive (or best-version) gems that tend to get passed by, I'd be very interested in hearing them! Some games I'm aware of and just haven't gotten around to picking up (the Shadow Hearts series), or have already played before & so haven't been a big priority (Persona games, Front Mission 4, Clock Tower 3, etc.).

One game that I'm fond of that's not in the folder yet is Scaler; near the tail-end of the console's lifespan stores were bundling the poo poo out of remaining stock and throwing them at people, we were cash-strapped and so gravitated towards a bundle of three games; a trash 4-wheeler racing game, a heinous hoverbike racing game, and Scaler. It's an unapologetic Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter clone, but executed competently. Less appealing these days now that there are like, thirty R&C games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnIPcyK2kLE

I'm also partial towards Alter Echo, a Soul Reaver clone that doesn't really reach greatness, but has some interesting visual design. Notable for being one of Brad Miur's first projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpl2OxXnXAY

Whizzing Wizard posted:

But it's cool to have two new to me games in the same style.

They actually use the exact same engine, if I remember right.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 2, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Daddys hot grill posted:

Thank you for letting me know Puzzle Quest was ported to the PS2. I thought it was only on portable platforms.

It's one of the PSP to PS2 ports that happened around 2007-8. It's weird that there are so many of them...

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Random Stranger posted:

It's one of the PSP to PS2 ports that happened around 2007-8. It's weird that there are so many of them...

They had to recoup development cost somehow.
The PSP has to be on the list of lowest software to hardware sales, or maybe that's just how it seemed at the time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The Automator posted:

I haven’t gotten to use one of their new ones, but the older model can be powered via USB so you can just run them all into a powered usb hub if they take too much juice

Mine barely work if they’re not plugged into usb for more power anyway

Ok I'm gonna do this just for the picture of the setup now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

They had to recoup development cost somehow.
The PSP has to be on the list of lowest software to hardware sales, or maybe that's just how it seemed at the time.

I think the PSP did okay, definitely better than the Vita, but it was okay while the DS was becoming the second best selling game platform of all time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I believe the PSP is the best selling non Nintendo handheld of all time, it's just that the DS sold like hotcakes.

PSP has a great library though, much stronger than the DS

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PSP was also astoundingly easy to pirate games for.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

AngryRobotsInc posted:

PSP was also astoundingly easy to pirate games for.

Yes, that's what I meant. I know the console itself was very popular, but I don't think games for it sold very well on account of piracy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm setting up a new 2TB sata drive in the phat ps2 and I can't get it to format and stay formatted.

If I launch hddmanager in uLaunch 4.43a it formats it and everything looks like it should (exactly as it does in this* tutorial even) but if I leave uLaunch to launch OPL or do anything else, hddmanager will show the drive as unformatted when I come back to it.

What am I doing wrong?

*inline link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXCrRFQSZI

Edit: I've decided that it's probably the model of drive I chose and so I'm going to get something off of this list and hope it'll work: https://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list...or=&v_postedby=

edit 2: Nevermind, formatting it first as fat32 and THEN putting it inside the ps2 was the mojo it needed to get going.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 2, 2022

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Random Stranger posted:

It's one of the PSP to PS2 ports that happened around 2007-8. It's weird great that there are so many of them...

Fixed that for you :wink:

Looking a bit more into the SMB share seems theres still the FAT32 issue of not supporting files over 4GB, so those need to be split. Most sources recommend USBUtil which is a windows tool. However I found an archived page that mentions iso2opl. Going to see if I can compile on macos or, looking into docker because lol.

Edit: As an aside, I saw the archive for puzzle quest was only 85MB and thought that it would be a nice CD game to load of USB, no need to open up the phat. However it expanded out to 1GB+, nice padding. Anyway, it's the perfect test for iso2opl.

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 3, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

For the SMB share you can just use NTFS and the 4gb file limit disappears.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
One thing about the PS2 "scene" is that information is spread out in old forums and youtube video. It can be hard to tell what is new and what's out of date.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

For the SMB share you can just use NTFS and the 4gb file limit disappears.

That sounds cool, let me just look up NTFS

wikipedia posted:

New Technology File System (NTFS) is a proprietary journaling file system developed by Microsoft.
oh.

wikipedia posted:

Supported operating systems Mac OS X 10.3 and later (read-only)
oh.

I really need to get myself a little windows/linux box or something.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I still use Windows 7 on my desktop, which also handles all PS2 stuff. I'm sure you could get an old 7 laptop for nothing (or close to) and do just fine.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I want to write this down and post it so that if there's someone else out there who comes upon a free PS2 and they think "oh neat i wonder if i can put games on this thing?", they won't spend hours loving with stupid applications that don't work.

If you want to put a 2TB SATA hard drive inside of a phat PS2, these are the ONLY software packages you will need on a Windows machine:

GUIFormat - to initially format the drive in fat32
HDLBatch - to install games
OPL Manager - to download artwork/cheats/etc
OPL Batch - to transfer the files that OPL Manager downloads over to the PS2 drive

There are other tools you may need like winbin2iso if you stumble upon a bin/cue situation, but those four applications are literally all you need on your computer to put ISOs onto the drive.

Also: Remember that the only version of uLaunch.elf that works with drives this size is v4.43a. If it's not on your FMCB memory card you can just launch it off of a USB stick.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I know we're in the retro forum but please upgrade from windows 7

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I know we're in the retro forum but please upgrade from windows 7

One of my two gaming rigs is still Windows 7 (it's a 2010 PC). Best OS Microsoft ever made bar none and everything after has been a downgrade in one way or another. Windows 7 forever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It stopped getting security updates over two years ago ffs

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Is there a way to play mkv files or similar on a PS2?
I have a strange desire to watch some garbage on a CRT television and dvd movies are all green tinted on account of some RGB weirdness.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I have a strange desire to watch some garbage on a CRT television and dvd movies are all green tinted on account of some RGB weirdness.

Switch the output mode and the green will go away. It's probably in YPbPr mode when you want RGB (or vice versa).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
When I was SCARTing it up, DVDs were always green when games looked just fine. I think the DVD player is just stuck in YPbPr no matter mode you have the output set to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Whizzing Wizard posted:

https://github.com/ps2homebrew/SMS

But it won't do MKV, only like..xvid AVIs.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
There's an elf file, or such, floating around that can be used to update the PS2 DVD firmware to region free, which may or may not help. 3.11J_PROGRESSIVE3_FINAL.7z is the name.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
It would be cool if there was a way to use OPL to load DVD ISO images for old TV shows.
IIRC dvd playback doesn’t work over RGB on PS2 but I forget why.

Oh wait maybe ModMan or Webman can load DVD ISOs on a PS3, I should try that.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Daddys hot grill posted:

There's an elf file, or such, floating around that can be used to update the PS2 DVD firmware to region free, which may or may not help. 3.11J_PROGRESSIVE3_FINAL.7z is the name.

Well, this fixed the DVD player issue. Had to follow some machine translated instructions in a pdf from some weird forum, but I eventually got there.

Too bad the only DVDs I didn't throw away were the Simpsons boxsets and the Matrix