Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t you still buy the game for your phone? Or is it iOS only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

User scores? Loser scores

are you implying the distinguished userbase of metacritic dot com is wrogn?

and also that ghost trick is not indeed the greatest of all time??

rox
Sep 7, 2016

one of these statements i am deadly serious abt

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one asked but imo ghost trick is not the best game ever (if it was, it would be my favourite game, but it ISNT)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hatty posted:

Can’t you still buy the game for your phone? Or is it iOS only?

Last time i checked (five years ago) it was trapped on ds and iOS

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman
Superliminal
Crystar
Tengami
Metal Torrent

Serious question: what are these games? They’re in the top 10 in user score metacritic and I’ve never heard of them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zhp was a PSP roguelike made by the disgea crew.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They must have very hardcore dedicated communities who rate every game 10 en masse

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman
Superliminal
Crystar
Tengami
Metal Torrent

Serious question: what are these games? They’re in the top 10 in user score metacritic and I’ve never heard of them

crystar is pretty alright. i played it because of its metacritic ranking and it looking pretty decent

it's simultaneously pretty good and pretty bad. both the critic and user rankings are correct, at the same time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

crystar is pretty alright. i played it because of its metacritic ranking and it looking pretty decent

it's simultaneously pretty good and pretty bad. both the critic and user rankings are correct, at the same time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lol

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I finished Superliminal this morning and honestly I kind of disliked most of the game because it seemed like a lot of really good ideas in a not that fun game, but man the ending in the context of it all was pretty good as a closing statement.

I think it was just disappointing because it rarely felt challenging. I almost kind of felt like the challenge mode that opens up after you beat it should have been an optional difficulty seeing as it added extra hurdles like jump and grab limits for all the puzzles.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The metacritic top 20 best games ever by critic score is a sea of grand thefts autos and a few nintendos, it is time for me to completely ignore metacritic (unless I agree with a particular score ofc, in which case it’s a decent-enough metric)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Beat the first chapter of Psychonauts 2 and I have to say again, the game simply slaps.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I want all men and women in my video games jiggling from all angles like they're melting jello people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope everyone was nice to the buddy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
finished castlevania lament of innocence. i was annoyed at how empty every room was at first but later levels get better about that and it does manage to be a pretty solid interpretation of 2d igavania into 3d, minus the interconnected levels and rpg mechanics. pretty cool overall and really nice to look at, nobody does goth like castlevania

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

this is the ideal body, etc etc

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for the earlier well wishes by the way, I'm through the worst of it now and recovering. Which means I can hold a train of though long enough to play games again and enjoy it!

I've started on Yakuza 7, the culmination of my slow like....2.5 year journey through all the mainline Yakuza games starting from 0.

Random, unfocused thoughts:
  • It's pretty remarkable how smoothly the aesthetics of the beat 'em up combat map over to turn based RPG combat. I thought I'd miss it but I dunno, the JRPG stuff seems to slot in just fine.
  • The end of Chapter Two where you get shot by Arakawa is a pretty goddamned effective way to hook me in to the story. Eighteen years, you bastard. :smith:
  • Ichiban is a fun protagonist, distinct from Kiryu (passionate idiocy instead of Kiryu's stoic idiocy) while not feeling too far removed in that he's also a hotheaded idiot with zero sense of self preservation.
  • Speaking of Kiryu it's a bit of a bummer that the sense at the moment seems to be that it's only taken two years after the ending of Yakuza 6 for (spoilers for Y7 chapter 2-ish?) the Tojo Clan to have fallen apart in Kamurocho, feels bad given how much Kiryu sacrificed for that lovely crime syndicate

It's a slow start, there's been a hell of a lot of talking and it feels like any sort of complexity to the battle system is being doled out very slowly. I don't mind the pacing too much but I can see it beginning to grate if it does the whole Final Fantasy XIII "20 hours of tutorial" thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

this is the ideal buddy, etc etc

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I need to play the Yakuza games. I have 0, played five hours into it and loved it but Other poo poo came out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

quote:

IGN: In regards to diversity in the game, can we expect to see Black characters in Final Fantasy XVI, or people of color (non-white characters) in general? To clarify a bit more, there’s been discussion around the trailers to date featuring mostly white characters, and I wanted to get clarity on whether we can expect the final game to be more diverse.

Naoki Yoshida, Producer: This is a difficult question, but not one that was unexpected, seeing as diversity in entertainment media has become a much-discussed topic as of late. The answer I have, however, may end up being disappointing to some depending on individual expectations.

Our design concept from the earliest stages of development has always heavily featured medieval Europe, incorporating historical, cultural, political, and anthropological standards that were prevalent at the time. When deciding on a setting that was best suited to the story we wanted to tell — the story of a land beset by the Blight — we felt that rather than create something on a global scale, it was necessary to limit the scope to a single landmass — one geographically and culturally isolated from the rest of the world in an age without airplanes, television, or telephones.

Due to the underlying geographical, technological, and geopolitical constraints of this setting, Valisthea was never going to realistically be as diverse as say a modern-day Earth...or even Final Fantasy XIV that has an entire planet (and moon) worth of nations, races, and cultures at its disposal. The isolated nature of this realm, however, does end up playing a large part in the story and is one of the reasons Valisthea’s fate is tied to the rest of the world.

Ultimately, we felt that while incorporating ethnic diversity into Valisthea was important, an over-incorporation into this single corner of a much larger world could end up causing a violation of those narrative boundaries we originally set for ourselves. The story we are telling is fantasy, yes, but it is also rooted in reality.

Conversely, the Final Fantasy series of games have always inherently dealt with conflict and struggle, especially between the empowered and those used and/or exploited by those privileged few — a prominent trend in human history. In a game that, by design, allows players to experience that conflict and struggle first- hand through dynamic, realistic battles, it can be challenging to assign distinctive ethnicities to either antagonist or protagonist without triggering audience preconceptions, inviting unwarranted speculation, and ultimately stoking flames of controversy. The best part of pulling inspiration directly from history, however, is that it allows us to revisit and re-examine our own pasts, while also allowing us to create something new.

In the end, we simply want the focus to be less on the outward appearance of our characters and more on who they are as people — people who are complex and diverse in their natures, backgrounds, beliefs, personalities, and motivations. People whose stories we can resonate with. There is diversity in Valisthea. Diversity that, while not all-encompassing, is synergistic with the setting we’ve created and is true to the inspirations from which we are drawing.

You coulda just said no

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's not so hard Yoshida

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Rarity posted:

You coulda just said no

lol i read that in another thread and it really sounds like the kind of answer you give when you're doing a essay on something and you're bluffing your way through it mondo hard

maybe in game the main kingdom will just be a xenophobic racist place tho and other places will be more diverse?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waffleman_ posted:

Beat the first chapter of Psychonauts 2 and I have to say again, the game simply slaps.

Still can't believe how strongly they nailed the sequel after all this time away, just a wonderful, wonderful game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really hope FF16 is good. From the trailers it does look really great! But like, there's no party this time? Final Fantasy has been getting further and further away from having a party of complex characters for quite awhile now and it's a little depressing because that was always a defining feature of the series.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I said come in! posted:

I really hope FF16 is good. From the trailers it does look really great! But like, there's no party this time? Final Fantasy has been getting further and further away from having a party of complex characters for quite awhile now and it's a little depressing because that was always a defining feature of the series.

Not gonna lie, as much of a yoship fan and ffxiv fan as I am, I want a turn based final fantasy again. Fuckin' 10 was the last one

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Not gonna lie, as much of a yoship fan and ffxiv fan as I am, I want a turn based final fantasy again. Fuckin' 10 was the last one

I've long since accepted that Final Fantasy isn't gonna return to being turn based anytime soon, if ever.

At least Square Enix has been pumping out jrpgs like mad over the past few years so by law of averages they've put out some real good turn based ones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/shinohara_kenta/status/1588534091540230144?s=20&t=w32BnYdFBGWdgObleOVGxQ

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I listened to a few tracks in the Sekiro OST and I don’t think I really realized how much that OST slaps while playing aside from a few parts like the phase 2-3 transition in bottom-tier Souls Boss Demon of Hatred. Like goddamn it’s not common that I can listen to some tracks and be right back in the boss fight but it’s weird because I wasn’t that pumped while most of them played, maybe because Sekiro is so much more demanding.

Anyone ever have that happen with a game OST?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I had to check who is the composer for Sekiro and sure enough its the same person who did music for Tenchu series. Those games had amazing boss themes that you barely remember at this point but listening them now they are really drat good.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

WaltherFeng posted:

I had to check who is the composer for Sekiro and sure enough its the same person who did music for Tenchu series. Those games had amazing boss themes that you barely remember at this point but listening them now they are really drat good.

This is my favorite one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU6odaJDpkM

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Srice posted:

I've long since accepted that Final Fantasy isn't gonna return to being turn based anytime soon, if ever.

At least Square Enix has been pumping out jrpgs like mad over the past few years so by law of averages they've put out some real good turn based ones.

Yeah they've firmly made turn based something for smaller projects, FF is never going back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And Dragon Quest will probably stay turn based until the heat death of the universe.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is DQXII confirmed to be turn based? They seem to be changing things up and I thought it was still up in the air

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They haven't really confirmed anything about it yet.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What makes turn-based better for you guys? Is there something that you prefer about it? I think turn-based feels kinda boring now tbh, and I used to love them back in the SNES days. Feels like there's more interesting gameplay stuff you can do with a real-time combat system.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Big Scary Owl posted:

What makes turn-based better for you guys? Is there something that you prefer about it? I think turn-based feels kinda boring now tbh, and I used to love them back in the SNES days. Feels like there's more interesting gameplay stuff you can do with a real-time combat system.

I dont know how to put it really. I can enjoy the fight at a casual pace, especially if the boss has awesome music you can vibe to or just pay more attention in general to smaller things, like enemy models.

A (horrible) simile is to me turn based combat is like a book, the page turns when you're ready. Real time combat is like seeing a movie in the theater.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Some people just don't like real time systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Turn based JRPGs are for middle management brained people who are more comfortable telling someone else to do something then just doing it themselves.