Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
This thread is so peaceful with everyone on probation... I don't have to listen to tankies, or think about them, or dream about them. This is how Ukraine will be after we (NAFO) win the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In other news, there are also a story on the NYT that Kiev itself may have to be evacuated if Russian attacks persist.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

after hearing this i also want to deport the jews to madagascar. we could have had black israelite wakanda for god sakes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAKANDA FOREVER

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

after hearing this i also want to deport the jews to madagascar. we could have had black israelite wakanda for god sakes

lmfao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tankbuster posted:

WAKANDA FOREVER

slava wakandi

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

I'm guessing mass extermination of ethnic Russians in Ukraine is probably not logistically feasible either, so...

Do you...maybe want to reconsider this post that you just made?:)

Majorian posted:

Cool cool cool.:stare:
Yeah just keep in mind that isn't going to end and it's not going to be a thing that happens all at once either. Ethnic cleansing is a process, not an event.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Wait, Ukraine is going to do ethnic cleansing? Big Israel FTW

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Wait, Ukraine is going to do ethnic cleansing? Big Israel FTW

There's a lot of it going on, on all sides, unfortunately. War is bad.

Orange Devil posted:

I both hope that this is true, and also not the only reason this will not take place.

:same:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah crimea was always (after they completely marginalised the tartars, at least) majority ethnic/linguistic russian by an enormous amount so some kind of cleansing, resettlement or at least permanent martial law would be necessary if ukraine were to reconquer the place

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The plan is to create at the least a group of stateless citizens. Almost a Big Palestine, if you will. Except Palestine doesn't have a nuclear armed friend sitting on the border and a whole lot of reasons to make sure that won't happen

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

In other news, there are also a story on the NYT that Kiev itself may have to be evacuated if Russian attacks persist.

I haven't seen that one. I tried to search it with basic keywords but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Do you have a link?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Isentropy posted:

The plan is to create at the least a group of stateless citizens. Almost a Big Palestine, if you will. Except Palestine doesn't have a nuclear armed friend sitting on the border and a whole lot of reasons to make sure that won't happen

Egypt was this short the nukes until they got beaten to death by Western military aid and then couped repeatedly

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

samogonka posted:

uh, i really wonder what they try to achieve with such statements

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1588823475514314752

https://twitter.com/SarahAshtonLV/status/1588887347990777857?t=7vxXglBJpJp7yNCpp81u7g&s=19

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I always took Zelenskyy's rhetoric about retaking Crimea as a negotiating thing, but at this point who can say

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Homeless Friend posted:

ruth died for this.....

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

speng31b posted:

I always took Zelenskyy's rhetoric about retaking Crimea as a negotiating thing, but at this point who can say

they definitely think they can and should take it back

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Salean posted:

ruth died for this.....

Mansplainers shouldn't have told her to retire so much.:colbert:

CODChimera posted:

they definitely think they can and should take it back

Why do you think it's not just rhetoric? Genuinely asking.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lol isn’t this the one (1) trans woman Azovite? soliciting personal donations so her sisters can continue to be paraded to trick liberals into thinking Ukraine does not have sub-Russian opinions about them?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

Why do you think it's not just rhetoric? Genuinely asking.

Their national politics is dominated by revanchist nationalism and their politicians and state media accounts talk about it constantly. Like, they're literally an entry in the Wikipedia article for Revanchism and it's official state policy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revanchism#Ukraine

Why do you think they don't mean what they say?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tankbuster posted:

lol all this catholic slander while FF is exiled.

they need less pontifex and more poontifex

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Their national politics is dominated by revanchist nationalism and their politicians and state media accounts talk about it constantly. Like, they're literally an entry in the Wikipedia article for Revanchism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revanchism#Ukraine

Why do you think they don't mean what they say?

Because retaking Crimea seems so self-evidently strategically unfeasible from my perspective. The Russian government and media claim they're pursuing a lot of crazy maximalist goals themselves; that doesn't mean they actually, truly believe they can achieve those goals.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
actually, all war propaganda on both sides is true and good and my friend

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i don't like war, and there's no easy way to say this, but darya dugina loved war and really embraced it. that doesn't make killing her right or cool, but it's better to love peace than war.

She died doing what she loved.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Tankbuster posted:

lol all this catholic slander while FF is exiled.

It's more fun doing it to his face.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

Because retaking Crimea seems so self-evidently strategically unfeasible from my perspective. The Russian government and media claim they're pursuing a lot of crazy maximalist goals themselves; that doesn't mean they actually, truly believe they can achieve those goals.

there are some things that put me at unease, such as: they don't seem to be operating with a realistic capacity to negotiate when it makes sense, based on things like multiple opportunities for that coming and going, the one guy in lil Z's government who tried to openly push for it getting straight up murdered by the nationalist intelligence apparatus awhile back, and probably seeing this perfect storm of western backing and a once in history chance to achieve goals that would otherwise be untenable

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

speng31b posted:

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1588650833268334594

i think the rwa guys are done with war and just really like old timey trains now. probably a fond reminder of the monarchy

Thus reminds me that I need to finish playing Red Dead Redemption 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

crimea is legally part of the russian federation (from their perspective). i'm pretty sure they would treat as an invasion of russia, with all that entails

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Majorian posted:

I'm guessing mass extermination of ethnic Russians in Ukraine is probably not logistically feasible either, so...

I mean we're starting from the assumption that they take Crimea

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

there are some things that put me at unease, such as: they don't seem to be operating with a realistic capacity to negotiate when it makes sense, based on things like multiple opportunities for that coming and going, the one guy in lil Z's government who tried to openly push for it getting straight up murdered by the nationalist intelligence apparatus awhile back, and probably seeing this perfect storm of western backing and a once in history chance to achieve goals that would otherwise be untenable

I don't disagree with any of this, but I also expect it will be a long time before an offensive on Crimea could conceivably be on the table, and that's assuming that everything goes right for the Ukrainians between now and then. Hopefully by that point both sides will have tired each other out and will be ready to negotiate, if not before then.

genericnick posted:

I mean we're starting from the assumption that they take Crimea

Yeah, that too, I don't think that's gonna happen anyway.

\/\/\/well-put:hai:\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Nov 5, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

I don't disagree with any of this, but I also expect it will be a long time before an offensive on Crimea could conceivably be on the table, and that's assuming that everything goes right for the Ukrainians between now and then. Hopefully by that point both sides will have tired each other out and will be ready to negotiate, if not before then.

yeah, it's totally unrealistic, but as an opening point to negotiations it would be great to feel that the Ukrainians actually know it's unrealistic and aren't amping themselves up (with a healthy dose of western cheerleading) for insane unachievable hyper nationalistic goals of ethnic cleansing that will make it even harder to actually achieve something like peace

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

speng31b posted:

I haven't seen that one. I tried to search it with basic keywords but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Do you have a link?

I found it. It's from their live update thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/11/05/world/ukraine-war-news-russia-updates

quote:

KYIV, Ukraine — As they struggle to maintain what remains of an electricity grid heavily damaged by Russian missiles, officials in Ukraine’s capital say they have begun planning for a once unthinkable possibility: a complete blackout that would require the evacuation of the city’s approximately three million remaining residents.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

What sort of non-nuclear escalation does Russia have left other than more mobilization?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

risking a probe for this but Crimea is also historically Russian, at least according to the majority of the people who live there and also history as well as Russia itself

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CODChimera posted:

What sort of non-nuclear escalation does Russia have left other than more mobilization?

not answering your question, but keep in mind only 15% of mobilized forced are deployed currently according to various sources quoted by Al Jazeera yesterday

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

risking a probe for this but Crimea is also historically Russian, at least according to the majority of the people who live there and also history as well as Russia itself

Nah, that's a perfectly valid position to take IMO. Others may disagree and are free to argue against it, but it's not a particularly hot take.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah lucky for me “pro-Russia” is meaningless and impossible to define (good work admins!)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

they could go full USA on the cities of ukraine with normal bombs

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

CODChimera posted:

war economy

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
that would be pretty loving dire if they had to evacuate three million people out of Kiev, not even the Iraqis evacuated Baghdad when the Americans knocked out the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
oh also i think russia has chemical weapons. those are theoretically "less bad" than nuclear? :shrug: