Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Fil5000 posted:

Well she HAS done this.

I wish I was as confident stating my name and accomplishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Captain Monkey posted:

Works better as a True Fae from Changeling the Lost. Strange puzzle being solved means you get stolen from the world, and remade.

Yeah, that was what I meant, not Dreaming, though with the newer edition of Lost they probably work better as Huntsmen for a True Fae Leviathan (converted from less fortunate changelings who didn’t escape).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Who exactly is the audience for Netflix's Wendell and Wild? Too dark for a kid centered movie, and too childish for adults, so...Hot Topic teens? The story and characters seem all over the drat place, and I usually love this kind of animation but drat is it odd.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Batman’s always like “I’m Batman” but how does he know?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Batman’s always like “I’m Batman” but how does he know?

he saw bats as a child

if he saw cats, he would sleep a lot, if he saw dogs he would run a lot. its how superheroes hero i think

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carthag Tuek posted:

he saw bats as a child

if he saw cats, he would sleep a lot, if he saw dogs he would run a lot. its how superheroes hero i think

Basically.

There's a canonical Catman and he's literally a rich rear end in a top hat who became a Batman knockoff because he was bored, and semi pulled it off, because he's almost as crazy.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities, episode "The Autopsy".
Every episode before this has been kinda campy, so it's easier not to nitpick. I think this is still the best episode, but one thing really IIMM'd me: the alien goes on about how long they have secretly been hiding among humans, without anyone knowing...but that's surpising considering how bad it is at its job...
- it causes a massive serial killer hunt by killing 6 people in the same area;
- it leaves a partially eaten victim on top of a tree where it is immediately found;
- all of its recovered victims show such unique wounds/conditions that the coroner immediately points them out as weird;
- it takes over a new "shell", then starts calling itself with a different name for no apparent reason, then he picks up a victim its shell knew in a crowded place, raising suspicion;
- at the same time, it keeps living in its current shell's home, causing his ship to be immediately seized by the police when they follow up on said suspicions;
- not to mention the ship - which has to immediately be destroyed if noticed - is not even hidden, althouhg I guess this could play into the hubrys element of the plot.

What I'm saying is that, if this is a typical specimen of this alien race, Fox Mulder would be on top of their game in about 4h.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Nov 5, 2022

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
100% of my knowledge of Hellraiser comes from reading this thread, never seen it or read it or anything.

As far as I can tell the story is 'theres some sort of puzzle box, which if you have enough desire to open, pops out demons who go "hey do you wanna feel ultimate pleasure?' and when you go 'oh hell yea sounds great' they go 'psych lmao heres torture idiot'

i have no idea what a third act could be.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The third act is the entirety of Event Horizon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just watch Event Horizon

Actually that advice works for a lot of situations

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Capital Letdown posted:

100% of my knowledge of Hellraiser comes from reading this thread, never seen it or read it or anything.

As far as I can tell the story is 'theres some sort of puzzle box, which if you have enough desire to open, pops out demons who go "hey do you wanna feel ultimate pleasure?' and when you go 'oh hell yea sounds great' they go 'psych lmao heres torture idiot'

Actually that sounds fairly accurate.

The first one is a little more nuanced involving the villain being someone who actually escape from the cenobites, but then they leaned into those leather fetishists for the rest of the series.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Candyman (1987) (another Clive Barker short story-adapted film) is so full of pain is the ultimate form of pleasure that Candyman could just be a rogue Cenobite.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

credburn posted:

Candyman (1987) (another Clive Barker short story-adapted film) is so full of pain is the ultimate form of pleasure that Candyman could just be a rogue Cenobite.

Anyone seen the Candyman reboot? Worth checking out?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought it was alright. It did a neat job being a reboot and sequel and expanding on ideas from the first that I didn't think felt especially forced, though I know a lot of others sure did (specifically racism, which I keep reading about people saying wasn't a big factor in the original while also acknowledging, Candyman is an incarnation of a guy who was brutally murdered for having an affair with a white girl.) I think it also references or incorporates somehow things from Candyman 2 and 3, which I have not seen and of which I have never heard anything positive.

Hey, side note, I can only think of two black Jason or Michael Meyers-level serial killers, and that's Candyman and that guy from I Know What You Did Last Summer, and both have hooks for hands.

credburn has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Nov 5, 2022

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

credburn posted:

I thought it was alright. It did a neat job being a reboot and sequel and expanding on ideas from the first that I didn't think felt especially forced, though I know a lot of others sure did (specifically racism, which I keep reading about people saying wasn't a big factor in the original while also acknowledging, Candyman is an incarnation of a guy who was brutally murdered for having an affair with a white girl.) I think it also references or incorporates somehow things from Candyman 2 and 3, which I have not seen and of which I have never heard anything positive.

Hey, side note, I can only think of two black Jason or Michael Meyers-level serial killers, and that's Candyman and that guy from I Know What You Did Last Summer, and both have hooks for hands.

Yeah, the new Candyman has a lot of cool ideas to it, and I felt like it doesn't quite stick the landing in matching the tone or atmosphere of the original, but it's much more thematically consistent. The original Candyman flicks have some mixed messages wrt race. Goddamn did I miss the original's oppressive, choral soundtrack though.

credburn posted:

Hate to tell ya, but hooking is about the only thing those dudes have in common.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Capital Letdown posted:

I’ve only seen the first one but they’re actually secondary antagonists in it. A hedonist guy having an affair with his sister-in-law gets killed by Cenobites in the opening scene but is revived as a fleshless ghoul by a drop of his brother’s blood. He then has said sister-in-law bring him various men to kill and restore him further. His niece finds out about this and gets her hands on the puzzle box and winds up promising the Cenobites that she will lead them back to him. They do not actually appear on screen in the first half of the movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They're in maybe four scenes in the entire film and similarly sparingly used in the book.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wait people are out there saying the original Candyman wasn't about racism? How??

e: also the Cenobites aren't trying to *trick* people into being tortured. They genuinely believe the pain=pleasure thing. Usually, anyway. Their level of maliciousness varies widely.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HopperUK posted:

Wait people are out there saying the original Candyman wasn't about racism? How??

e: also the Cenobites aren't trying to *trick* people into being tortured. They genuinely believe the pain=pleasure thing. Usually, anyway. Their level of maliciousness varies widely.

Look, any film I saw when I was too young or stupid to understand nuance, allegory or film criticism is clearly a film without politics in it. Racism is politics therefore..

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also politics are bad, but this movie I like is good, so it can't possibly have politics in it

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
"I think Starship Troopers makes a good point about having to join the military in order to have the right to vote!"
"Well, it pretty blatantly equates the whole thing to fascism..."
"Why do you have to make everything political?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
There are people who are saying RoboCop is not a political movie. Media literacy for them is acknowledging that the pictures they see on screen are moving.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Wait people are out there saying the original Candyman wasn't about racism?

Charlie gets excluded from the candy party because he's poor, not because of race.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I binged through all of the Hellraisers just before Halloween, watching all of them for the first time.

Event Horizon is a better take on the torture dimension, but also it had a way bigger budget and was released like a year after the 4th Hellraiser which was partially set in outer space

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a large set of people to whom "political" means "espousing a belief or opinion I don't share, and which might make me look bad if people knew." My wife had an issue at her school where she wanted to have a book outlining the basics of gender identity - when a baby is born they can't say what they feel like inside, so the parents and the doctors look at the baby and make a guess, sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. This is because this little school had a trans student last year (who my wife was the only teacher supportive of for several months), has at least one NB student right now, and had a kid that's AMAB telling a friend that they "feel like a girl in their heart." One of her boomer-rear end motherfucker coworkers said "you're making it political." What's political about it? No one talked about elected officials, laws, regulations, elections, anything political. It was just "I don't like this so it's political."

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I've only seen parts of Candyman on TV but it was the part where they talk about redlining. Also I'm now learning that that movie used the same bee guy as My Girl. Man, gently caress those bees.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a large set of people to whom "political" means "espousing a belief or opinion I don't share, and which might make me look bad if people knew." My wife had an issue at her school where she wanted to have a book outlining the basics of gender identity - when a baby is born they can't say what they feel like inside, so the parents and the doctors look at the baby and make a guess, sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. This is because this little school had a trans student last year (who my wife was the only teacher supportive of for several months), has at least one NB student right now, and had a kid that's AMAB telling a friend that they "feel like a girl in their heart." One of her boomer-rear end motherfucker coworkers said "you're making it political." What's political about it? No one talked about elected officials, laws, regulations, elections, anything political. It was just "I don't like this so it's political."

What they mean is "my political party wants to ban trans people from existing, therefore you are making it political by disagreeing". It is always projection.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just watch Event Horizon

Actually that advice works for a lot of situations

What we're watching, we don't need eyes to see

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The misheard recording of the captain's Latin in Event Horizon is, in itself, an interesting plot point.

However, the fact that to get that plot point you need someone dorky enough to be fluent in Latin, dorkier again to drag Latin into everyday things unnecessarily and finally, such a huge dork that even as they tear their own eyes out as a result of whatever happened in the hell dimension, they record a loving cryptic message in Latin rather than "Argh, the warp drive takes you through a hell dimension, just destroy the ship!"

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Elissimpark posted:

The misheard recording of the captain's Latin in Event Horizon is, in itself, an interesting plot point.

However, the fact that to get that plot point you need someone dorky enough to be fluent in Latin, dorkier again to drag Latin into everyday things unnecessarily and finally, such a huge dork that even as they tear their own eyes out as a result of whatever happened in the hell dimension, they record a loving cryptic message in Latin rather than "Argh, the warp drive takes you through a hell dimension, just destroy the ship!"

But then I'd never have had to wonder what the point of the meat grinder hallway was.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Who exactly is the audience for Netflix's Wendell and Wild? Too dark for a kid centered movie, and too childish for adults, so...Hot Topic teens? The story and characters seem all over the drat place, and I usually love this kind of animation but drat is it odd.

I've wondered this with Big Mouth as well-in fact that have a fourth wall joke about "who exactly is watching this right now". Like in the most recent season they have a subplot about a middle schooler getting a yeast infection, manifested as a cartoon talking vagina having a Jekyll and Hyde type transformation :gonk:. . It's this weird combination of sincere efforts to present genuine factual in information about reproductive health and puberty, done in a really crass and in your face South Park tone.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Somewhat off topic, but I observed this too and made a thread asking what exactly makes a film "woke" or "political" since it's so ridiculously inconsistent. People are really notorious for trying to conflate a bad story with a 'political' one, concern trolling others into thinking that making a story too "political" will take away from the narrative quality of its original concept.

It's also really depressing that we live in a day and age where people like your wife need to tread VERY carefully because the Libsoftiktok crowd love to zero in on teachers like her for that very reason-in trying to raise awareness and show solidarity it also exposes people to retaliation and harassment. Good on your wife for sticking up for her students

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

What we're watching, we don't need eyes to see

We have such sights to not show you :haw:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Hell, ASMR mode.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

old bean factory posted:

Hell, ASMR mode.

The sound of a Cenobite softly blowing on the exposed and overstimulated nerve endings of flayed flesh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah it is kind of weird how the demon stuff is played so goofy while the human bad guys are murdering anyone who gets in their way. Also the stuff about the private prisons being bad is kind of underdeveloped. Like how Siobhan is initially in favor of them but then apparently learns off screen how bad they are.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

old bean factory posted:

Hell, ASMR mode.
Clicking teeth but never consistent enough that you can get into the rhythm

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it is kind of weird how the demon stuff is played so goofy while the human bad guys are murdering anyone who gets in their way. Also the stuff about the private prisons being bad is kind of underdeveloped. Like how Siobhan is initially in favor of them but then apparently learns off screen how bad they are.

oh goddamn that's my first name, I hate it when it's on TV. It happens rarely enough that it's wildly distracting. I wonder if people with more commonly used names just get used to it or if it's annoying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HopperUK posted:

oh goddamn that's my first name, I hate it when it's on TV. It happens rarely enough that it's wildly distracting. I wonder if people with more commonly used names just get used to it or if it's annoying.

I don't care or even notice

But there were also three people with my first name in my graduating class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
My son is also named Bort.