Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I selected the same PSU for my build earlier in the thread, and I found some positive reviews for it. Example:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-2021-power-supply-review

So yeah, seems like a solid pick. Neither of us probably needs a full 750w, but it's always good to future-proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beast posted:

Not really sure about coolers. Last time I built a pc I used a cooler master hyper 212, which I believe you can still buy for AM4 but I’m sure I read somewhere it isn’t as good value anymore? Picked a noctua because I like the brown fans… is there an alternative cooler I should be using? Scan has some be quiet, deep cool, arctic freezer, but I’m very unfamiliar with them.

As for cpu, lol, a 5800x3d is about an extra £200 currently, and whilst it would be fun I don’t think I’d see the benefit given I’m only using it for 1080p gaming and internet browsing / office type work. Am aiming to update my existing system with a view to playing some recent AAA games next year. Normal 5700x is an extra £80 and seems to be same price as 5700x?

That's just not a particularly hot CPU and there's a a whole bunch of commodity tower coolers that are basically identical, like the Thermalright Assassin X 120 which is $20 flat here, or the ID-COOLING SE-214-XT. The Noctua ones are incrementally quieter, but those low-end Noctuas aren't anything special either. Anything that looks like a Hyper-212 clone will perform pretty similarly.

I just brought it up because in the US, that 60 pound difference in cost would cover moving up to a 5700X, but I guess not in your market. If you have the Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE V2 at Scan for £20, that'd be basically the same as the Noctua you chose for cheaper. It's a way to save a few bucks, not to make the build better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of coolers, I was searching for thermal pads on aliexpress and this came up

:hmmyes:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Beast posted:

Quick sanity check on this build - was looking at either 5600 or 12400 build and it appears in the UK that Zen 3 prices are dropping quite a bit, so now a 5600X can be had for about £170 vs £220 for a 12400...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£164.75 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler (£60.31 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£169.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£101.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Light Tint ATX Mid Tower Case (£135.49 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£100.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £867.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-03 19:05 GMT+0000

Planning on using my existing RX480 and monitor for now and probably getting a new GPU in 2023. Replacing a venerable 2500K system...

the 5600 non-X is barely any worse than the 5600X but a bit cheaper so you can save a little that way

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, I've ordered my PC. Should be fine, right?

I'm having them assemble it for me, so I figure they'll be able to warn me if I've hosed up too badly.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Yep, should be totally fine :thumbsup:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Local CC did more sales and I was able to pick up a Gigabyte EAGLE RX6700XT for $500 (about US$370) and swapped it into my desktop last night. Didn't have a lot of gaming time but I fired up Stray for a bit and got 60fps across the board at max settings, where before it was struggling to hit 20fps at medium. It's quieter than the two-fan MSI it replaced, too. Thanks for all the advice in the thread! I'll probably be back sometime in 2026.

Now I just need to figure out where the hell I left my nullmodem cable...

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I'm advising my buddy on an upcoming gaming build that he's mulling. He's got a 1440p widescreen monitor that he'd like to hit 60 frames on, and I'm thinking he'll be fine with a 3070. I told him to keep an eye on 3070 and 3080 prices (and steer clear of the 3070 ti) to see if they trend down a little now that the 4000 series is out.

As for his CPU, I think I'm gonna steer him toward an intel 13600K. There doesn't seem to be much reason to buy 12th gen since the 12600k is only $30 cheaper right now. I also want to live vicariously through him and get him on board with DDR5, which I just missed since I built my current PC like six months ago, just before DDR5 became affordable and sensible.

The only thing I'm a little doubtful on is judging whether a motherboard is good enough to handle the thermals. Dr Video Games sometimes points out that the VRMs on a certain board aren't going to cut it with a given CPU. My friend is probably never going to OC and I don't think there's any chance he'll want a 13700 or 13900, so he's not going to need anything crazy. But do we steer clear of the bottom-shelf asrock boards? Any rule of thumb to follow here?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

From what I've seen, B660 is a minefield of garbage VRMs which will bottleneck a CPU at stock settings but you can't really go wrong with Z690 even at the cheap end as long as you're not planning to go crazy with overclocking

Hardware Unboxed on YouTube has roundups of motherboard VRM performance

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just bear in mind a Z690 board will need a BIOS update to support a 13th gen CPU, so look for one that supports headless flashing

Z790 supports 13th gen out of the box but it's significantly more expensive for not much benefit

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Awesome, that’s very helpful.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Got a question about power. I have been building pc's since the 90's (Celeron 300a days, still have my gorb) so know my way around a build.
My current primary box:
Intel i9-9900kf/MSI MPG Z390M board/32gb Corsair Dominator DDR4 (2x16)
MSI 2070 Super video/4tb WD Green drive/1tb Samsung Pro M2
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 Platinum (SSR-650PD2 rev.1a) power supply (Picked that as it was the quietest at the time and always wanted a Seasonic)

Just got a great deal on a used EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 ti for $600 cash from a coworker. Will the Seasonic 650w Platinum run the 3080ti? I am willing to undervolt. Or just bite the bullet and get a gold/platinum 850w?
I was hoping to run the 650 for longer than 3 yrs, but I did not plan on a 3080. Of course I did not have my LG 35 wide then also.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think you could make it work for now, but I'd have an eye on a new PSU especially if you have a CPU upgrade in the future.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I do have an i9-12900k on my desk that I got from retail edge. Debating on if I wanted to build with that because then I would have to go ddr5/z790/etc. Explaining the 3080 to the wife was fun already.
Sigh, I don't need a new build but... have I ever?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Meydey posted:

I do have an i9-12900k on my desk that I got from retail edge. Debating on if I wanted to build with that because then I would have to go ddr5/z790/etc. Explaining the 3080 to the wife was fun already.

Nobody's making you use DDR5, and fast nice DDR4 is cheap as chips right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's also no real reason to go Z790. Z690 is cheaper and generally has everything you want anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How is the evga B stock? I found a nice 1000w PS for a significant price break.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MarcusSA posted:

How is the evga B stock? I found a nice 1000w PS for a significant price break.

Generally good. I've only bought a GTX 970 from B-Stock like, years ago, but it's still running in a friend's PC last time I checked in with him. The main caveat is a one year warranty. If you want a little more security you might want to wait for a black friday deal and a model that has a 10 year warranty, but I've got 4 or 5 EVGA PSUs now and they've all had no problems so far.

There is the one caveat that people are predicting the death of EVGA due to stopping their GPU business, but a B-Stock purchase usually only gets a year anyway and I expect them to continue to exist for a while yet.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

repiv posted:

From what I've seen, B660 is a minefield of garbage VRMs which will bottleneck a CPU at stock settings but you can't really go wrong with Z690 even at the cheap end as long as you're not planning to go crazy with overclocking

Hardware Unboxed on YouTube has roundups of motherboard VRM performance
amongst all the garbage there are some good cheaper B660s, like the MSI Pro B660M-A has very solid VRMs that can handle a 12900K (maybe not 13900K though idk), but the issue for Raptor Lake is that barely any B660 boards have BIOS flashback at all (only most of Gigabyte's and a few high-end Asus ones do iirc) so you can't update the BIOS to support Raptor Lake without already having an Alder Lake CPU. at the price of the Gigabyte B660s that aren't terrible & have BIOS flashback, you're already starting to get into Z690 territory. B660 DDR5 boards also generally have much worse DDR5 overclocking support

Meydey posted:

you don't need a Z790 unless you want like 5 M.2 slots or something silly like that

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Meydey posted:

Got a question about power. I have been building pc's since the 90's (Celeron 300a days, still have my gorb) so know my way around a build.
My current primary box:
Intel i9-9900kf/MSI MPG Z390M board/32gb Corsair Dominator DDR4 (2x16)
MSI 2070 Super video/4tb WD Green drive/1tb Samsung Pro M2
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 Platinum (SSR-650PD2 rev.1a) power supply (Picked that as it was the quietest at the time and always wanted a Seasonic)

Just got a great deal on a used EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 ti for $600 cash from a coworker. Will the Seasonic 650w Platinum run the 3080ti? I am willing to undervolt. Or just bite the bullet and get a gold/platinum 850w?
I was hoping to run the 650 for longer than 3 yrs, but I did not plan on a 3080. Of course I did not have my LG 35 wide then also.

That card pulls 400W at stock, and that CPU may pull ~100W when gaming too. Transients are the 30-series' biggest problem, though. The high-end cards tend to have very brief spikes in their power draw that can trip many PSUs' overcurrent protection. Undervolting the card and enforcing an ~85% power limit may get around the issue, though.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That card pulls 400W at stock, and that CPU may pull ~100W when gaming too. Transients are the 30-series' biggest problem, though. The high-end cards tend to have very brief spikes in their power draw that can trip many PSUs' overcurrent protection. Undervolting the card and enforcing an ~85% power limit may get around the issue, though.

Twerk from Home posted:

Nobody's making you use DDR5, and fast nice DDR4 is cheap as chips right now.

lih posted:

you don't need a Z790 unless you want like 5 M.2 slots or something silly like that

Thanks everyone. I'll mount the 3080 and see how stable it is undervolted. Supposedly this one is a binned chip since it is the FTW3, so might be a little more stable. I don't tend to push too hard, but my main game is War Thunder and its mighty pretty on Ultra settings on a 35. If there are any hiccups I'll just plan in moving to a bigger ps, and the 12900/z690 board. Staying at ddr4 would let me keep my ram also. Half the fun is researching parts tho and not sure I want to fall down the rabbit hole right now.

Hardac
May 19, 2004

How much does a pirate pay for corn? A buccaneer!
I picked up a 13700k and decided to go with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 for cooling. Anyone have a recommendation for a quality case? I really like the Fractal Torrent but wasn't sure it if it was a good buy for a watercooling setup. Would the Meshify 2 be a better option?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hardac posted:

I picked up a 13700k and decided to go with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 for cooling. Anyone have a recommendation for a quality case? I really like the Fractal Torrent but wasn't sure it if it was a good buy for a watercooling setup. Would the Meshify 2 be a better option?

I went with the LIAN LI Lancool III because gamers nexus gave it a good review and it comes with a bunch of fans already.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
From what I've read it sounds like the Ak620 should be able to handle the 13700K, but a conversation at Microcenter really threw me off. Am I going to have issues? I'm tempted by the deal on the Liquid Freezer II 360, but I wanted to use a Be Quiet 500DX and that's an awkward fit.

I'm stoked for all the parts to show, only have the SSDs and the CPU right now. Just waiting on Newegg and Amazon for the rest. I spent more than I kind of intended, but I'm planning on getting a long time out of it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lih posted:

There are people that don't want that?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That was why I did it. The Z690 boards weren't that much cheaper and I'm planning three gen 4 SSDs ad all my storage to be stupidly extra.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hardac posted:

The Torrent is really only meant for air cooling setups, technically you can put a radiator in the front but you have to remove the 180mm fans (one of the cases main selling points) and if you run it as an intake you're blasting hot air at the GPU

It's generally best to put a CPU AIO in the top of the case, so something like the Meshify 2 or Lancool 3 would be good yeah

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hardac posted:

I like my Corsair 5000D Airflow case, but I am also running all air cooling. It would take a top radiator easily enough, though.

It is a big case, though, in case that influences your decision. I think the 4000D Airflow is similar but smaller.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 5, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

The Torrent is really only meant for air cooling setups, technically you can put a radiator in the front but you have to remove the 180mm fans (one of the cases main selling points) and if you run it as an intake you're blasting hot air at the GPU

It's generally best to put a CPU AIO in the top of the case, so something like the Meshify 2 or Lancool 3 would be good yeah

The torrent comes with three 140mm bottom intake fans as well, and you can swap the front intake and bottom intake if you want so you don't have to remove anything. Mount the radiator in the front with the 140mm case fans on one side and the included AIO fans on the other for a push-pull setup. Front panel intake with an AIO is fine, especially when you're mixing in the fresh air from the bottom intake, which is being blown directly into the GPU fans.

I'll agree that it is pretty pointless though compared to some other alternatives, like the Lancool III or 5000D Airflow.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there any point waiting for Black Friday sales here in the US to build an entirely new computer? Doing a build for a friend, who doesn’t live near micro center but does have a Newegg card. He’s pretty excited to build now but I’m not sure if there’s any big deals to be had by doing it all at that Friday/Monday period? Looks like we’re already saving enough money as it is with Newegg bundles.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean it’s only a few weeks away but you might only be saving $50 or so.

Cyber Monday might be ok but I don’t know how Newegg is with those sales.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

buglord posted:

Is there any point waiting for Black Friday sales here in the US to build an entirely new computer? Doing a build for a friend, who doesn’t live near micro center but does have a Newegg card. He’s pretty excited to build now but I’m not sure if there’s any big deals to be had by doing it all at that Friday/Monday period? Looks like we’re already saving enough money as it is with Newegg bundles.

I haven’t seen chatter so I dunno. There’s plenty of good deals to be hand right now.

I’m guessing we might see some PSU deals. More likely, it’s going to be mainly combos which will force you into specific motherboards/ram or whatever. It’s up to you if you’re picky about that stuff.

Bundles are super popular right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m currently working on my new build and I’m kinda waffling on the cpu cooling solution.

I’m either going with a 13600k , 13700k, or a 5800x3d (depending on a sale). Right now I’m leaning toward an AIO since it’s really only an extra $60.

These are what I’ve got in mind

Vs

Probably not going to overclock anything but I don’t think spending the extra $60 is a huge deal even if it comes with minimal gains.

Thoughts?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I’m currently working on my new build and I’m kinda waffling on the cpu cooling solution.

I’m either going with a 13600k , 13700k, or a 5800x3d (depending on a sale). Right now I’m leaning toward an AIO since it’s really only an extra $60.

360mm AIO liquid cooler
Vs
Scythe Fuma 2 air cooler

Probably not going to overclock anything but I don’t think spending the extra $60 is a huge deal even if it comes with minimal gains.

Thoughts?

For performance, your money would be better spent going up the CPU stack for sure, 13700K, or even some faster RAM than you were getting otherwise.

What case are you using and how long do you keep a computer? If you want a small, specific case that doesn't fit a Fuma, then your choice is made. If you have the space for a Fuma 2 and keep your computers a long time, I'd definitely go with the air cooler. Liquid coolers are a bit noiser at idle, quieter under load, and with questionable long-term lifespan.

If you're replacing your PC every 3 years, not a problem. If you're like a lot of us who kept Sandy Bridge, Haswell, or Skylake machines for more than 6 years, realize that the liquid cooler is adding a new exciting point of failure. Much more likely for a pump to die than the fan on a tower cooler, and you can't easily replace just the broken part either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

For performance, your money would be better spent going up the CPU stack for sure, 13700K, or even some faster RAM than you were getting otherwise.

What case are you using and how long do you keep a computer? If you want a small, specific case that doesn't fit a Fuma, then your choice is made. If you have the space for a Fuma 2 and keep your computers a long time, I'd definitely go with the air cooler. Liquid coolers are a bit noiser at idle, quieter under load, and with questionable long-term lifespan.

If you're replacing your PC every 3 years, not a problem. If you're like a lot of us who kept Sandy Bridge, Haswell, or Skylake machines for more than 6 years, realize that the liquid cooler is adding a new exciting point of failure. Much more likely for a pump to die than the fan on a tower cooler, and you can't easily replace just the broken part either.

Good points. I have an 8700k now that I’ve had for at least 5 years now so the intent is to hold on to this machine for a similar time frame.

I’m heavily leaning toward the 13700k unless there is a blowout sale on the 5800x3d.

I’m not in a rush to run out and buy everything yet as my current system works perfectly (just slower obviously) so I have time to stew on it a bit but I do think your points about the tower cooler are probably on the money. I’ve ordered the LIAN LI Lancool III RGB Black so space isn’t an issue.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Vs

Thoughts?

noctua d15 is 99$ and their support for coolers is a bit insane. I bought it back in 2020 and they are sending me a free adapter for the lga 1700. Also the amount of accessories it comes with, i have used the y-splitters, extenders, clips, anti vibrations mounts on two PCs for HDDs and fans. Its quite and you wont have to worry about anything in the near future or any leaks. The only problem i can foresee is compatibility with the new motherboards with ridiculous cooling solutions.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 5, 2022

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Meydey posted:

Thanks everyone. I'll mount the 3080 and see how stable it is undervolted. Supposedly this one is a binned chip since it is the FTW3, so might be a little more stable. I don't tend to push too hard, but my main game is War Thunder and its mighty pretty on Ultra settings on a 35. If there are any hiccups I'll just plan in moving to a bigger ps, and the 12900/z690 board. Staying at ddr4 would let me keep my ram also. Half the fun is researching parts tho and not sure I want to fall down the rabbit hole right now.

Update: Mounted the 3080 ti undervolted to 900mv at 1990 Mhz (not optimized yet). Rock solid so far. Passmark went from 15518 graphics/6713 overall to 19463 graphics/6810 overall. AS Valhalla benchmark run 5x in a row, Ultra everything at 1440p got 94fps and peak temp was 69c briefly. System seems to be holding fine. Guess I will run long term but I think the Seasonic 650w Platinum is up to the task. Seems quieter overall than the 2070 also. Very satisfied.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Meydey posted:

Update: Mounted the 3080 ti undervolted to 900mv at 1990 Mhz (not optimized yet). Rock solid so far. Passmark went from 15518 graphics/6713 overall to 19463 graphics/6810 overall. AS Valhalla benchmark run 5x in a row, Ultra everything at 1440p got 94fps and peak temp was 69c briefly. System seems to be holding fine. Guess I will run long term but I think the Seasonic 650w Platinum is up to the task. Seems quieter overall than the 2070 also. Very satisfied.

Not all games are the same. Probably the most brutal game to undervolted GPUs I've seen is Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition. That config will probably be fine, but you may have to drop the clock speed down 45 - 60hz if other games start crashing. On my 3080 Ti FTW3, I ended up running 850mV @ 1895 MHz (which was actually just 1 or 2% slower than 1990), though I think with ME:EE I ended up going up to 875mV.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Question - will my i5-12600K processor be suitable for gaming? I'm playing on a 1080p/144Hz monitor. I don't have any specific current-gen titles in mind, just wondering if I shouldn't have gone for an i5-13600K instead, or even an i7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Phlegmish posted:

Question - will my i5-12600K processor be suitable for gaming? I'm playing on a 1080p/144Hz monitor. I don't have any specific current-gen titles in mind, just wondering if I shouldn't have gone for an i5-13600K instead, or even an i7.

Yes. A 13600 would be better but not nearly enough to be worth a single generation upgrade and beyond the 600 CPUs from both Intel and AMD you're getting into CPUs that are meant more for work stuff than gaming.