Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

cool av posted:

lol man if you're reading this thread and watching videos about vicky3 for fun, go ahead and get the game you're gonna like it

For real. There are definitely some issues but people talking as though you’re gonna be miserable dodging constant bugs must be playing a different game from me, it’s definitely worth the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If there's two things I'd like to see changed, it's that bureaucrats should not get dividends from command economy and that extremely well off workers in workers cooperatives should gravitate towards the petite bourgeoisie more, to simulate the rise of reactionary 'NEP men' and the like.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also the Scramble for Africa is happening too fast, it historically only started in 1885 and if you wait that long the whole continent will be gobbled up by France and Britain before any of the second rate powers like Belgium, Portugal or even Germany get a chance. You basically need to beeline the tech if you want to participate at all.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AnEdgelord posted:

Also the Scramble for Africa is happening too fast, it historically only started in 1885 and if you wait that long the whole continent will be gobbled up by France and Britain before any of the second rate powers like Belgium, Portugal or even Germany get a chance. You basically need to beeline the tech if you want to participate at all.

As Japan, I immediately research Colonization and beeline a colonial law change ASAP, which means by 1840 or so I can usually start colonizing the rest of Hokkaido

in three tries until now, Russia always manages to grab half of it at least anyway.

Nevermind trying to colonize anywhere else in the world if you're not already a big colonizer, lol. That kinda sucks because it makes it EVEN HARDER to get rubber, oil and other exotic stuff :argh:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

In my first playthrough, AI France controlled like 90% of the continent and had racked up like 1200 badboy by 1920

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

if you got the disposition for it the game is fun af already, jank and all

(though I'm definitely avoiding any of the bigger countries as it is because it can get seriously wonky)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If there's two things I'd like to see changed, it's that bureaucrats should not get dividends from command economy and that extremely well off workers in workers cooperatives should gravitate towards the petite bourgeoisie more, to simulate the rise of reactionary 'NEP men' and the like.

what

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TorakFade posted:

As Japan, I immediately research Colonization and beeline a colonial law change ASAP, which means by 1840 or so I can usually start colonizing the rest of Hokkaido

in three tries until now, Russia always manages to grab half of it at least anyway.

Nevermind trying to colonize anywhere else in the world if you're not already a big colonizer, lol. That kinda sucks because it makes it EVEN HARDER to get rubber, oil and other exotic stuff :argh:

japan's big enough at the start that if you build a navy you can go gunboat diplomacy dahomey/ashanti/oyo/benin/sokoto and puppet them, they'll load you up with rubber after you annex them. go hit the two baluchistan tags too and you'll have an opium supply. oil's a little trickier but you can just snipe iraq from the ottomans once they're dying, no rush. if the shogunate invading nigeria is just too offensive to your historical sensibilities you could hit tidore for part of papua, which also gets rubber.

these are basically the "correct" opening moves for any tag that is strong enough to do them, which is part of v2 i could have done without having in v3. not sure how you avoid player foreknowledge being a thing though

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jazerus posted:

these are basically the "correct" opening moves for any tag that is strong enough to do them, which is part of v2 i could have done without having in v3. not sure how you avoid player foreknowledge being a thing though

Fully randomizing discoverable resources?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jazerus posted:

japan's big enough at the start that if you build a navy you can go gunboat diplomacy dahomey/ashanti/oyo/benin/sokoto and puppet them, they'll load you up with rubber after you annex them. go hit the two baluchistan tags too and you'll have an opium supply. oil's a little trickier but you can just snipe iraq from the ottomans once they're dying, no rush. if the shogunate invading nigeria is just too offensive to your historical sensibilities you could hit tidore for part of papua, which also gets rubber.

Indonesia not on this list? They've got oil AND tropical resources like rubber and mostly consist of small unrecognized minors. Granted the Dutch or Qing might involve themselves, but still, it's good stuff worth grabbing.

Edit: And gold too, lots of it!

Tomn fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 5, 2022

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sindh is a great colonial target too, probably the "easiest" place to set up opium production if you aren't Britain/Qing. Gives a good springboard into Pakistan/Afghanistan which gives you a good amount of silk and lead.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tomn posted:

Indonesia not on this list? They've got oil AND tropical resources like rubber and mostly consist of small unrecognized minors. Granted the Dutch or Qing might involve themselves, but still, it's good stuff worth grabbing.

yeah eating borneo is a good idea, but the dutch are a bit touchy about it. i wouldn't call it an opening move, more something you do when you can punch the dutch in the nose

Pakled posted:

Sindh is a great colonial target too, probably the "easiest" place to set up opium production if you aren't Britain/Qing.

sindh is also excellent, the only disadvantage compared to baluchistan is that baluchistan provides a corridor to the sikh empire and afghanistan so you can expand opium production easily later on, if you need to

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any tips on how to build nations in closed markets? It was pretty easy to tailor Brazil as an export economy for the US within their market, but it’s much harder to do so as Qing or Japan. Am I *supposed* to join a market as the optimal play or is it possible to be an economic powerhouse alone?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

He's not wrong, bureaucrats pocketing the dividends doesn't make any sense at all. All the profit of a state owned building should go to the state

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

buglord posted:

Any tips on how to build nations in closed markets? It was pretty easy to tailor Brazil as an export economy for the US within their market, but it’s much harder to do so as Qing or Japan. Am I *supposed* to join a market as the optimal play or is it possible to be an economic powerhouse alone?

Trading is not joining another market.

The game is difficult if you want to play through as an isolationist, but Japan and China have big enough populations that you can produce all your domestic needs and do a little conquering for natural resources.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

buglord posted:

depends how much slack ur nation has, but id say focus on getting construction and high profit margin stuff up at a nice hum, with sidegrades on mil poo poo to protect ur sovereignty

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

buglord posted:

Qing is the market. I usually open by enacting a bunch of consumption taxes, jacking up normal taxes, putting tariffs in place for things like opium, and then building 25ish construction buildings (wood frame construction), some lumber mills, some paper factories (and by some I mean like 20-30), then repeat with more construction buildings and more lumber mills to keep government goods costs down. It can help to shut off luxury furniture production and hardwood production in the beginning as well, at least until you transition into iron.

Then you start building shittons of iron mines and lumber mills and tool factories and paper mills, and coal mines, and lead mines, and....

You will never employ every peasant. Ever. I sort provinces by peasants and concentrate my industry and construction in the first 20 on the list. The more peasants you employ, the more money you make, which means you can build more, which means you make more money faster, which means you can build more, etc. Getting central planning (the government building upgrade), and then railroads is a pretty good idea for opening as well - you need the admin capacity, and you need more infrastructure. Build universities as you can afford them as well - getting 5-10 universities in each industrial province is a great goal, as it will massively improve your tech spread as well as allow you to research what you're focusing on more quickly.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I do want to know if people with more powerful CPUs are able to do endgame faster lol, I know stux says it's a pipe dream but how can more FLOPS not be better

It's 1904 in my Gran Columbia game and I haven't noticed any slowdown yet on a 5950x, so more CPU probably does help.

*Edit * Running at speed 5 uses 40% of my CPU, the game seems optimized for an 8 core, 16 thread processor.

The weekly ticks noticeably create a spike of usage up to 60%, so those would hitch if I didn't have the extra cores.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 5, 2022

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

It's also important to not miss the little tiny upgrades and virtuous circles the game has to support industries when you don't have another market you can use to cover gaps.

Wood and fabric into construction is obvious.

Then tools with the wood serving as initial demand. Then tools let you do iron.

Then if you spread out your initial construction you can turn it into iron one by one as your mines come online. Adding in extra tools as needed and turning them over to iron tools.

Then once you have the tech coal makes more iron, usually before you convert all your construction so this pushes you over the edge.

Then you get steel, changing tools to steel for initial demand.

Somewhere in here you throw in an arms industry or two.

Then railways and an engine factory, which might need to be subsidised to start off.

Then your well placed to go back and fill any economy gaps and you start to make money.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

war is also very good for financing your early construction if you can handle it. puppets generally pay you a pittance, but in the 1830s 99% of the world's economies are operating on margins where a pittance actually makes a difference. sokoto in particular is a good combination of relatively easy to conquer and relatively wealthy; they start out paying you like 6k/week and since being plugged into your market is generally advantageous for them and they're big enough to do something about it, they'll grow their economy a bit too and pay you more over time. then just annex them when your budget allows for it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

fuf posted:

"popular playwright" is such a powerful event if you get it early as a small country. The third option is a permanent +20 to prestige. I jumped from rank 55 to 28.

Yeah, it's amazing

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jazerus posted:

wiz u told me u wouldn't have correct opening moves that are the same for every country! Wiiiiiz!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

He's not wrong, bureaucrats pocketing the dividends doesn't make any sense at all. All the profit of a state owned building should go to the state

sorry i shsoudlve been more specific, i meant the other part

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

anyone have tips for Brazil start?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Stux posted:

sorry i shsoudlve been more specific, i meant the other part

labour aristocracy. like a machinist at john deere wanting to pay his mexican gardner sub minimum wage.

completely unrelated, being able to keep your military completely loyal while paying them less than the colonial subjects they're brutally oppressing is either a design flaw or decent social commentary.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

fuf posted:

"popular playwright" is such a powerful event if you get it early as a small country. The third option is a permanent +20 to prestige. I jumped from rank 55 to 28.

The ironic thing is I feel like it’s actually appropriate. For a great power it’s a drop in the bucket but for a nothing nation, having a particularly famous name probably would actually make a difference in how well known it was. I’m too lazy to validate that with actual historical examples mind

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Apparently even though my people refuse to even put women in the workplace up for a vote, they're just fine with enlisted generals dueling women:

She's slightly favored! go Carlota!:

RIP

cool av posted:

lol man if you're reading this thread and watching videos about vicky3 for fun, go ahead and get the game you're gonna like it

This. I'm having more fun in this than any new Paradox title since EU4. It has some rough edges (UI annoyances like scrolling lists to the top every time you click a button, occasional crashes and it gets laggy in the late game, and the war AI is infuriating) but still immensely entertaining despite it all.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Koramei posted:

The ironic thing is I feel like it’s actually appropriate. For a great power it’s a drop in the bucket but for a nothing nation, having a particularly famous name probably would actually make a difference in how well known it was. I’m too lazy to validate that with actual historical examples mind

the spirit of José Martí lives on in us all comrade

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

China and Japan are both capable of doing fairly well without opening their market, you just kind of have to treat it like an Anno game where you're building out a production chain starting from the raw materials and working your way up. You probably want to open up eventually to be able to export your surplus and keep prices up (especially for farm goods since you have absolutely ridiculous amounts of arable land), but it's not necessary straight away if you focus more on industrial goods first and try to keep your supply/demand relatively balanced with each other.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

the spirit of José Martí lives on in us all comrade

I thought of another José (Rizal), now perhaps most famous worldwide as the namesake of Tekken's Josie Rizal

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

NEPmen were small business owners not bureaucrats or part of cooperatives.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

boo boo bear posted:

labour aristocracy. like a machinist at john deere wanting to pay his mexican gardner sub minimum wage.

thats not what the nepmen were. they were private traders and business owners in a mixed economy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

shouldve refreshed first lol

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

well, you've looked at a wikipedia article. there's another one about quotation marks that might be useful.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no i just know what the extremely specific term nepmen means

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

but don't understand the concept of analogies.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Welp I think that's it for my Qing game. I got complacent and thought the Heavenly Kingdom would just go away eventually since nothing was happening, but it eventually did rebel and apparently it takes every state the cult has spread to, not just the ones with turmoil. So I should have just tried to spike turmoil once the fourth state got it to get it to fire early, I guess. But the real game-ender was that the Taping Rebellion isn't actually a civil war country. They immediately had a capitalist revolt take almost everything, and those guys were just independent after the original rebellion capitulated to me. And pretty much all of my industry was there, and a lot of mines etc too. Also, 180 infamy from the revolt.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Found a very spicy glitched interaction--if you set transfer subject as a war goal, it sticks even if the suzerain abandons the original war target. So you can i.e. if the Qing are having a bad time demand control over Dai Nam while they're backing Mindanao, they back out, you stomp Mindanao's eight divs and get a free Dai Nam (since it's an active war goal but Mindanao's the only one defending it.)

E: You also don't get a truce with them because they weren't party to the war, so you can kick them down to puppet the next week.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

boo boo bear posted:

but don't understand the concept of analogies.

i think u and the other guy just didnt know whaht u were takling about :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there anything I can build to reduce turmoil in a state? Maine is real mad at me.