Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Aramis posted:

The worst part is, it "could" work if the fee was non-recurring. Pay :10bux: for the privilege of your tweets being visible, and lose that privilege if you spout garbage, forcing you to shell out another :10bux: before you can start posting again. Keep tweeting like an rear end in a top hat and lose the right right to pay at all.

If only there was a precedent of such a model working...

getting users to pay monthly/annually for service probably could've worked, similar to discord, but the key thing is that it relies on some actual good will from your users so they feel ok about chipping in for non-essential perks. all of the goodwill twitter had was burned up in an instant. the only option left is to extort users by ruining the free experience.

there's no way that this won't kill twitter within months. most people aren't going to pay $100/year to use twitter, and the service won't work if all the people who don't pay leave because it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/sferik/status/1588696600440102912?s=46&t=vDPFsMk91d-dBVk_2R9B4w

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This is basically how the premise of Horizon Zero Dawn went down, complete with psycho techbro at the top making dumbass decisions that made everything worse like "lets make all our robots programming completely inaccessible from the outside!"

"Except by other robots, we need to make sure a rogue robot can take over others instantly but it would take 500 years for us to do the same"

Faro and musk definitely have that same savior complex going on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like half of twitter hates seeing verified tweets. people literally use 'checkmark' as an insult. the idea that the site will be saved by burying non-checkmark tweets is incredible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
At but now it’s not for the elites, but the common man.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Endorph posted:

like half of twitter hates seeing verified tweets. people literally use 'checkmark' as an insult. the idea that the site will be saved by burying non-checkmark tweets is incredible.

It will just be a mark to show who was the mark and opens them up to relentless bullying. And because most people are going to stay away from it there will likely only be very limited content that can be "pushed to the front", likely leading to unverified users still dominating the timeline. At least that's what I'm hoping. I'm certainly gonna be blocking anyone with a verified icon, just to keep my timeline fun. Though I expect that'll lead to a $12,- extra charge so you can't be blocked or muted.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

$8 equals one free speech, there will be a clarifying constitutional amendment about this once republicans control enough states

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

jeffrey should add an $8/mo option on the patreon that adds a blue checkmark next to your avatar, i think some people might actually spring for it ironically

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I feel like a large part of Elon's problem is he's trying to do everything immediately. A gradual introduction of fees or subscriptions to twitter might have been more palatable. Reviewing the workforce and slimming down might have cut costs.

But Business Genius decided he had to get everything going to the max within a week. Just total stupidity.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I really wish I could stop reading people saying DID U KNOW ELON COULD LOSE A LOT AND STILL BE RICH?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I really wish I could stop reading people saying DID U KNOW ELON COULD LOSE A LOT AND STILL BE RICH?

you just mad cause you didn't know that and still don't

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Neil Armstrong once made Musk cry. Moon dude saw through his flim-flam over 10 years ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Neil Armstrong once made Musk cry. Moon dude saw through his flim-flam over 10 years ago.

This is a real thing that happened and it's wonderful.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

kazil posted:

I feel like a large part of Elon's problem is he's trying to do everything immediately. A gradual introduction of fees or subscriptions to twitter might have been more palatable. Reviewing the workforce and slimming down might have cut costs.

But Business Genius decided he had to get everything going to the max within a week. Just total stupidity.
saddling twitter with 44 billion in debt that it would never be able to pay off was also a pretty bad business move!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He could win a lot too and he’d still be miserable and trying to get Grimes back

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

donald trump saw through him

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Klyith posted:

1. I have no idea why he started down this road to begin with, but it definitely wasn't the jet thing. Anyone can make elonjetwatch.com to put out his private plane movements, banning a twitter account doesn't fix that. He's a twitter addict in general. Like the dude doesn't just make tweets like most celebs. He reads enough of the rando garbage to reply to people.

He made the offer to *buy* twitter because his initial move -- to buy stock and get on the board of directors -- got shut down. It was a billionaire baby being denied candy and throwing a tantrum.

Why did he want to be on twitter's board? Beats me. The take I saw a long time ago that made sense was that he has been fighting with the SEC about tweets for years, such that the SEC had told him "don't tweet about your companies without legal approval". And he hated that, because twitter addict. So the idea on this blog was that buying twitter would be an end-around for that: if he owns twitter, telling him not to tweet would be directly harmful to his ownership of twitter. He'd tell the SEC to gently caress off, and then go back to pumping his tesla stocks via legally-questionable tweets. Big win for Elon!

tl;dr it's not about getting owned on twitter, or at least not just about that

this is a great take, thanks for posting. it makes the initial motivation really clear. his whole thing, the thing he is actually good at, is mythologising himself, and stock manipulation.

so the twitter ‘plan’ has at least some rational basis. but being a moron, he is loving up as usual and letting it spiral way out of control

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/hellocullen/status/1588932781769654272?s=46&t=vDPFsMk91d-dBVk_2R9B4w

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Trump has one skill and it’s that he knows exactly How to poo poo talk.

Which is one more skill than musk has

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

:lol:

forgot about this

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/thegabecarey/status/1588991350317645824
Everything on that list of features is stupid. Who was asking for longer videos on Twitter? Is that really a thing? Anything longer than a minute and I'm out, and it'd better be bloody funny to even last that long.

Also notice how, outside of the checkmark, all of those features are still "coming soon". But pay now and you'll be just like those celebrities, brands, and politicians you love so much! Nobody will be able to tell you apart, finally you will matter and have friends and people will like you, you'll be just like Keanu Reeves

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

:lol:

forgot about this

It's so perfect lol

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Steadiman posted:

Everything on that list of features is stupid. Who was asking for longer videos on Twitter? Is that really a thing? Anything longer than a minute and I'm out, and it'd better be bloody funny to even last that long.

"finally! i am glad i am paying a monthly subscription fee to be better targeted by ads!"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

next prediction, he will do the full self-driving thing and tell everyone to lock in the $7.99/mo rate now because it will be rising to $13.99/mo for new subscribers as soon as the next wave of features go live

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Very first bullet point is about the ads. And about how they are going to be extremely targeted to you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Trump has one skill and it’s that he knows exactly How to poo poo talk.

Which is one more skill than musk has
musk has a face on him in that photo like trump said all of that to his face

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that either means having your payment info gives them better targeted ads by tying into additional ways to spy on you, or they only have so many well-targeted ads they can serve in the first place so getting rid of the lower half will raise the average

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I'm sure advertisers are thrilled to hear that ad relevancy matching, you know, the one single thing that makes these platforms attractive in the first place, will be turned off for the majority of impressions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Endorph posted:

donald trump saw through him

I keep wondering if he's gonna let Donald back on twitter, then I remember this and :laffo: out loud

necroid
May 14, 2009

stratdax posted:

Lots of coping in this thread. Elon's gonna buy twitter, Trump will get re-platformed, the fascists will be doubly emboldened, twitter will push people towards right wing content and completely suppress anything humane or leftist at all, and twitter will look like /pol/ before long. Get ready for a lot more Marjorie Taylor Greene's in public office.

lol just started reading this thread out of curiosity for this dumb gently caress's exploits, this post from april was prophetic

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Wait are they admitting to potential advertisers that their ads are NOT relevantly targeted by default?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is all just so unbelievably stupid on such a fundamental, basic level. Elon obviously does not get Twitter at all.

Blue check marks are useful to let me know who the important, noteworthy people are whether they are celebrities, politicians, comedians, well known scientists, or whoever. If you thought this whole time that the blue check was just a piece of vanity bling, then you are a loving moron. I don't want some random Joe dipshit to have a blue check for $8/month, it completely destroys a very large part of Twitter's value.

And then relaxing moderation standards to let the nazis run wild while saying "we can't depend on Advertisers, blue checks are $8/month", then being completely stunned when the advertisers who you absolutely did, do, and always will depend on for the vast majority of income all start to nope the gently caress out, like God drat Elon is such a dumbass.

He couldn't even wait out the rest of 2022 to learn the business from the inside and really get a good feel for the business, he just thought he was the boy genius who had all the answers.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

xarph posted:

Wait are they admitting to potential advertisers that their ads are NOT relevantly targeted by default?
i think the "twice as relevant metric" comes from the notion that you have a relevancy gradient of ads; if you show someone twice as many ads, you have to go twice as far down that gradient (aka "half as [relatively] relevant")

aka ads will be just as relevant as they were before, just you'll be given half as many

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

xarph posted:

I'm sure the big advertisers that Twitter still has are calling their account managers and...

Oh, wait. There's a slight problem there.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Some good LOLs here

https://twitter.com/theB4NP/status/1588236058877169665?s=20&t=MS7XEg5cyzDTa9mbeATWKQ

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep wondering if he's gonna let Donald back on twitter, then I remember this and :laffo: out loud

He could've done this for a week now and hasn't so it might not happen.

Truth Social led by Trump and Twitter by Musk will be 2 warring factions

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beefed Owl posted:

Some good LOLs here
I think it's time we start using phrases like "significant discounts," "low prices" and "what a savings" instead of good morning, good evening, etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bad Purchase posted:

jeffrey should add an $8/mo option on the patreon that adds a blue checkmark next to your avatar, i think some people might actually spring for it ironically

This would be great and especially funny when the forums are somehow still here 10 years later when Twitter is long dead and no one knows what the blue checks mean any more, it's become deep forums lore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1511371637719015427?s=20&t=OLZA2_MAgki5mTmaUpkuwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

SA basically had this back in the day when people actually cared about reg dates and you could pay $9.11 to change your reg date to 9/11/2001.