Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUJil3YRgw

I've always heard Sarada is very popular and hearing Cherami Leigh voice her has me intrigued.

But gently caress, I never even finished Shippuden. I've always wanted to sit down and watch Naruto from start to finish and make up my mind on whether or not it's good. I need to do that before I get into Boruto. But man that's a lot of anime.

EDIT:

Also Adult Sasuke's design is generic as hell. Whatever his other faults, Sasuke never lacked for style. But now, after putting away the edge, he seems to have also put away the cool clothes and hair.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sasuke has been doing better since salad gaiden. but y'know, he's still sasuke.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonna be kinda weird to adapt Sasuke's Story into the anime, given he's currently down a Rinnegan thanks to getting stabbed in the eye
Granted, filler's never cared much for the timeline, but still...

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always heard Sarada is very popular and hearing Cherami Leigh voice her has me intrigued.

But gently caress, I never even finished Shippuden. I've always wanted to sit down and watch Naruto from start to finish and make up my mind on whether or not it's good. I need to do that before I get into Boruto. But man that's a lot of anime.

There's a fanmade Naruto Kai series that truncates the series down to 72 volume-length 1.5/2-hour "movies"

Alternatively, play the Ultimate Ninja Storm games

And...really, the Boruto series is mostly self-contained, so you're really not missing out on much watching it blind as its own thing (granted, 270+ episodes is a massive ask of anyone, and a lot of it isn't manga-related, but gives a lot of focus to the entire new cast to the point the manga feels incomplete without having watched the arcs surrounding the manga chapters)

The manga has 5 arcs
The anime has 23

The manga's first arc gets adapted from episodes 51-66
The manga's second arc gets adapted from episodes 141-151

Delphisage posted:

Haven't been reading or watching Bort. Has Sasuke done anything especially edgy or stupid after Naruto Gaiden?

Nope - he's pretty chilled out nowadays, and honestly the only people getting any focus in the series for a while now has been Boruto and Kawaki; Sarada and Mitsuki have barely been relevant for a while, and the anime's currently giving Himawari, Boruto's sister, the spotlight (although it's still primarily Kawaki-focused)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Delphisage posted:

I don't think "joy" is an emotion Sasuke is capable of. I'm shocked he could even say he has a wife.

There's probably a joke about how it's good Sakura has super strength because she needs it to do the relationship's heavy lifting in there somewhere.

NikkolasKing posted:

Like a lot of women in shonen battle, Sarada is very cool but it's most in potential.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sasuke's "peanut" moment is legendary.

E. Based on the joke that Uchihas communicate best through violence and attempted murder:

Sasuke: stabs sword through Sarada's pillow

Sarada: "Use your words, Papa."

Sasuke: "...sorry. I love you, peanut."

Sarada: "I love you too, Papa. Good night."

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 23, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Suddenly more Naruto manga.
link

Gai and Kakashi road-trip in manga form!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a bunch of short stories about minor characters? well, sign me the heck up.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

It is so goddamned literally "two gay uncles take their closeted lesbian niece on vacation, shenanigans happen" and I couldn't love it more.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. Could have sworn this was an arc in the anime. Still, Guy and Kakashi are always fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Huh. Could have sworn this was an arc in the anime. Still, Guy and Kakashi are always fun.

It was but I believe the arc itself was based on a story from one of the light novels

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mirai's one of those characters who, like a lot of the supporting cast, are cooler in theory than in practice so it's neat to see more of her.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Been awhile since I've read a Naruto story not centered around super human freaks, I almost forgot how questionable the standards for praise are. She basically completely screwed up in every way aside from I guess bravery, but essentially if not for deus ex machina she'd be straight up dead. But of course this shows she's destined to be a great ninja--likely whenever she masters whatever bullshit OP powerups in her bloodline.

And to be clear, I'm having fun with it. Hopefully Kakashi shines and does some really cool hokage poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's a bit of an exaggeration, as the guy(s) noticed her almost as soon as she noticed them. from that moment on, she had no way to win or escape.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's a bit of an exaggeration, as the guy(s) noticed her almost as soon as she noticed them. from that moment on, she had no way to win or escape.

He literally gave her an out, even if it weren't "sincere" she didn't use it for any strategic advantage except to escalate the immediate confrontation.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

She's a shinobi. Capturing or killing bingo book entries is literally in her job description. Was she overmatched and likely to get killed? Sure. But she still intended to do her job. Death in the line of duty is also in the job description.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

She's a shinobi. Capturing or killing bingo book entries is literally in her job description. Was she overmatched and likely to get killed? Sure. But she still intended to do her job. Death in the line of duty is also in the job description.

Except she was explicitly a genin, which means she was not authorized to engage other shinobi specifically due to lack of combat experience, as well as having no backup from the rest of her squad due to disobeying her squad leader's orders. What she should have done was taken the out and detailed the incident in her after-mission report.

Shikamaru saved her rear end in more ways than one on that one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was no out because the dudes were criminals wanted by ninja villages and she was wearing a headband that meant she would immediately report them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there was no out because the dudes were criminals wanted by ninja villages and she was wearing a headband that meant she would immediately report them.
This is as much conjecture as any other opinion about the scenario. He seemed more interested in getting away quickly himself, likely due to her presence indicating other nearby shinobi. There's also no indication that he'd bother with a diabolical fakeout dialogue just to mess with her.

Tree Reformat posted:

Except she was explicitly a genin, which means she was not authorized to engage other shinobi specifically due to lack of combat experience, as well as having no backup from the rest of her squad due to disobeying her squad leader's orders. What she should have done was taken the out and detailed the incident in her after-mission report.

Shikamaru saved her rear end in more ways than one on that one.
This. It's been established in older Naruto stories that there are general expectations and standards that their ninja act somewhat like the sneaky spies and assassins that their titles indicate. She was behaving like a brash rookie beat cop, even announcing the dude's name like she's Robocop making an arrest.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal, I think the writing's just a bit lazy. They're telling us that she's a likable young ninja with a ton of potential, fine. They're showing us something a little clunkier. Whenever Naruto acted like Mirai in this scene, he would've been roasted by his teammates. And after being saved by his own plot armor (Sasuke, Kakashi, or even the 9 tails) it would at least add more to his desire to improve and train harder. The praise she's getting from Shikamaru and Kakashi feels a bit hollow especially considering her mistakes could cost her (or a teammate's) life or interfere with another mission. She's told she's a bit reckless, but it's like smiles all around.

Anyway, if she had done anything a bit strategic, like use her genjutsu trap on him before calling him out (he turned his back to her) or signaling for her team, or whatever else an assassin might do, even if it ultimately failed due to his gimmick and we got the same battle, I'd been good with that.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 30, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Genjutsu doesn't work unless they can see it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sasuke chapter 2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know how many chapters this miniseries is supposed to last out of curiosity?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dexo posted:

Genjutsu doesn't work unless they can see it

Case in point:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Unironically loving this. Sasuke powering through, but foiled by someone who doesn’t have eyes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Do we know how many chapters this miniseries is supposed to last out of curiosity?

The novel is 10 chapters, and we just reached the end of chapter one's events, so probably in the ballpark of 18-25 manga chapters depending on how they pace and show events

Can't wait to see how Sasuke handles everyone being interested in Sakura since they wear rings differently...

"Sasuke no."
"Amaterasu yes."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't know why but I like that there's jutsu that just makes rocks shiny.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

This series is worth it if only because it's already made me like Sasuke a lot more as a character.

I feel like him being in prison is the closest he's ever come to experiencing life as a normal person since he was a child. Dude has been cursed with extremes all his life, from his brother genociding his entire clan to all the sycophants chasing him for his looks, being a super genius, living with Orochimaru, even Naruto's over the top obsession with returning him to Konoha. This is probably the closest thing to a slice of life getaway he can get while it lasts.

It's fun because he hypothetically should've been spamming genjutsus from the start to attain whatever info he needs (even if eventually failed due to glass eyes), but he's deliberately taking his time in actually participating in the prison life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those familiar with the novel this is based on, how involved is Sakura in this arc and at what point does she enter the picture?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

So for those familiar with the novel this is based on, how involved is Sakura in this arc and at what point does she enter the picture?

She debuts in chapter 2 and is present for the rest of the novel

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

She debuts in chapter 2 and is present for the rest of the novel

Does the story poo poo on her like the franchise is known to do or is she actually fairly proactive/competent in this one?

Also we got dinosaur fights in this quicker than I expected

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 5, 2022

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
lol I thought Sasuke realizing meno was a summon meant he was gonna take control of her using the sharingan, but he immediately loving kills her. That's our sasuke!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheHan posted:

lol I thought Sasuke realizing meno was a summon meant he was gonna take control of her using the sharingan, but he immediately loving kills her. That's our sasuke!

She got better somehow so there’s still time, I agree it was a very Sasuke thing to do though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he tried and failed. i get the feeling that he has been leaning real hard on genjutsu during his years of wandering.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I love that someone actually thought of a (mostly) airtight defense against genjutsu. I hope it gets resolved by Sakura smashing his eyes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I love that someone actually thought of a (mostly) airtight defense against genjutsu. I hope it gets resolved by Sakura smashing his eyes

It depends on the type there are sound based Genjutsu too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fine, defense against eye genjutsu then (which is one of the more common types in the series to be fair)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Zensul slowly revealing the weird quirks of his body that make him immune to a very annoyed Sasuke.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Zensul slowly revealing the weird quirks of his body that make him immune to a very annoyed Sasuke.

As I said, it’d be funny if he was ultimately defeated by Sakura beating the poo poo out of him and breaking all of his defenses

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sasuke still has both his eyes at this point, so he's not exactly lacking for options. but he's trying to infiltrate and investigate, which requires a bit more delicacy than simply setting everything on fire.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't watch Boruto so forgive me but it's still wild to me that Itachi wasn't actually lying back in Part 1. Someone you love does in fact have to die to give you the Mangekyo. Maybe Tobirama was right about evil brain chakra.

So I guess, to be relevant to Boruto, Sarada needs to have someone die to be as strong as she can be. Again, very hosed up. Also she'll then have to steal someone's eyes to not go blind. Even more hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't watch Boruto so forgive me but it's still wild to me that Itachi wasn't actually lying back in Part 1. Someone you love does in fact have to die to give you the Mangekyo. Maybe Tobirama was right about evil brain chakra.

So I guess, to be relevant to Boruto, Sarada needs to have someone die to be as strong as she can be. Again, very hosed up. Also she'll then have to steal someone's eyes to not go blind. Even more hosed up.

Very early on in Boruto Sarada activated her sharingan just because she was so happy to see her father, odds are there'll be a less traumatic way to get its upgrades

It's triggered by emotion, and was thought to involve negative emotions due to all the fighting the Uchiha have been subjected to

The Uchiha are capable of the greatest love and the greatest hate, so hopefully we'll see more of the former than the latter