Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
On Halloween I went to the WI State Historical Society and had my friend take some pictures of me in my ghostbusters uniform.

I tried to tell a visual story of me, arriving, searching for, finding, and busting the ghost. I was worried about getting past security, but the guard LOVED my costume. I edited out my face and custom name plate so as not to dox myself, there are lots of weirdos on the internet.

This one is my favorite, you can see the light of proton pack on the shelves behing me, which is nice. But the real clincher is the light reflecting in one lense of the goggles...

Because that shows up in the movies.

"Wow, it's real." I chose this aisle because the lights were burnt out and it would make for better contrast with the purple light I brought, I didn't notice until later that it was the section on New York City.

"We came, we saw, we kicked it's rear end!" I took some pictures of me pretending to actually bust the ghost, but they didn't turn out at all. Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Great pictures! Your outfit and props are awesome too. It looks like it was a fun shoot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This should be a new winking smilie.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks. :)

I had lots of fun.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

deoju posted:

Thanks. :)

I had lots of fun.

That's a good post. Nice get up too. I feel a really strong urge to shush you though.

gregday
May 23, 2003

If anyone else is putting together an outfit or just wants a cool toy, I have a mostly new-in-box Matty Collector Ghost Trap for sale. I got it last year to potentially use for spare parts, but ended up not needing it. If you check eBay these go for a fortune. I'm mostly just trying to make space.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

gregday posted:

If anyone else is putting together an outfit or just wants a cool toy, I have a mostly new-in-box Matty Collector Ghost Trap for sale. I got it last year to potentially use for spare parts, but ended up not needing it. If you check eBay these go for a fortune. I'm mostly just trying to make space.

Well how much are you looking for for it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, lookie here, more yet unseen footage and alternate takes. Still no GB2 possessed Ray or GB2 ending scene, but hey, it's something.

I really dig the remixed music they used here, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DCiTkkfqtw

Edit: well, poo poo, it doesn't embed. Anyway, pro click for anyone pathologically obsessed with new GB/GB2 footage.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, lookie here, more yet unseen footage and alternate takes. Still no GB2 possessed Ray or GB2 ending scene, but hey, it's something.

I really dig the remixed music they used here, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DCiTkkfqtw

Edit: well, poo poo, it doesn't embed. Anyway, pro click for anyone pathologically obsessed with new GB/GB2 footage.

You're doing Zuul's work.

I can't wait to take a look at this thing!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks for sharing that. There's some good stuff in there. I especially like Egon on the microscope.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man all that unseen footage is wonderful. It's like Ghostbusters is real and we're seeing documentary footage!

I would love to see an extended Ghostbusters cut with all these weird additions/longer scenes put in. It wouldn't be better but drat I'm so curious.

It really goes to show how important an editor is in crafting a movie, and as far as I know no one ever talks about the editor of GB.

Anyway why are they drip feeding us, they have all the footage, released the fort/possessed Ray scenes!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Man all that unseen footage is wonderful. It's like Ghostbusters is real and we're seeing documentary footage!

I would love to see an extended Ghostbusters cut with all these weird additions/longer scenes put in. It wouldn't be better but drat I'm so curious.

It really goes to show how important an editor is in crafting a movie, and as far as I know no one ever talks about the editor of GB.

Anyway why are they drip feeding us, they have all the footage, released the fort/possessed Ray scenes!

Fort Detmerring has pretty much been released, at least within the last one or two Blu-ray releases (heh... blew Ray). That was kind of my white whale of deleted scenes, and then we got it.

Now, I want to see stuff from GB2. What we have is nice, especially Sherman Tully, but my new hope is that with the next release, which will probably coincide with whenever Firehouse (whatever it'll actually be called) is out, we get the following:

- extended ghost runner
- extended jewellery store
- possessed Ray driving
- keys to the city / ending scene

That footage exists, and dammit, I wanna see it. GB2 was the first movie I saw in theatres when I was 6, so it holds a really special place with me. I love it for entirely different reasons than why I love the first one. Aside from the soundtrack which I listened to endlessly, I had the big picture novelization, I had the colouring book, both of which were based off of earlier script drafts. I remember colouring in Louis' "side-view mirror glasses" that he used in the scene where he hunts Slimer in the firehouse, and I was curious as to why that part wasn't in the movie that I knew so wrll. I didn't even know there were deleted scenes until much much later, and I've wanted to see them ever since. It was a treat to watch Louis hunt Slimer recently, even if the vfx were missing.

The iconography, the score, the soundtrack, the movie itself... all of that stuff is forever bound, in my head, to being 6 in grade 1, and like this movie and Nintendo being the most important thing in my little world. I'm sure I'm not alone with all of this, even on these forums, even ITT. People can poo poo all over 2, and I certainly can see and understand the critical response; I don't fault Siskel and Ebert for disliking it.

But as a GB-loving kid at the time, it was AWESOME.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Had the Fort been completely released? I thought it was just a few shots of them arriving. I want that poo poo edited completely into the movie!

And hell yeah GB2 owns. Vividly remember hiding behind the cinema seat when Janosh shows up as a flying nanny. It's still great

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Had the Fort been completely released? I thought it was just a few shots of them arriving. I want that poo poo edited completely into the movie!

And hell yeah GB2 owns. Vividly remember hiding behind the cinema seat when Janosh shows up as a flying nanny. It's still great

The footage hasn't been all edited together into the movie, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1-PZIrCPU4

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think they really made the right call with that footage. Its too crude for the tone of the movie to have a whole scene and works a lot better as a quick gag in the montage of weird poo poo they've been dealing with.

e: oh yeah, I forgot the final movie also wraps it as Ray's dream to give it an extra bit of remove too

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

GB2 has good moments here and there.

But it's a beat-for-beat remake of the first movie that absolutely no one outside of Aykroyd wanted to make, and it shows on screen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I think they really made the right call with that footage. Its too crude for the tone of the movie to have a whole scene and works a lot better as a quick gag in the montage of weird poo poo they've been dealing with.

e: oh yeah, I forgot the final movie also wraps it as Ray's dream to give it an extra bit of remove too

They absolutely did, because the movie is perfect. Still, would be very interesting to see some of the scenes run a bit longer and have some extra stuff put back in.

Timby posted:

GB2 has good moments here and there.

But it's a beat-for-beat remake of the first movie that absolutely no one outside of Aykroyd wanted to make, and it shows on screen.

Agreed! But it's still fun

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m also glad they didn’t use that, it’s very odd and would be incredibly out of place in the finished picture. I do wish we’d seen a first bust for Winston though, getting his boots dirty. I just want more ghostbusting, honestly. :saddowns:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In many important ways, I think GB2 is even better than the original and I absolutely adore it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

LividLiquid posted:

In many important ways, I think GB2 is even better than the original

Go on...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

roffels posted:

Go on...

Yeah, I'd like to legitimately hear this one.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

In many important ways, I think GB2 is even better than the original and I absolutely adore it.

There is not one way.

Not even one!

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alan_Shore posted:

There is not one way.

Not even one!

Best I got is that Ernie got a hero moment saving the other guys from a fire. I really liked that as a kid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m going to guess it’s because it’s less problematic then the first one

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The first one isn't problematic

roffels posted:

Best I got is that Ernie got a hero moment saving the other guys from a fire. I really liked that as a kid.

That was a cool moment.

You could probably say the second one is scarier, too

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

I’m going to guess it’s because it’s less problematic then the first one
You'd think, coming from me, but it's only tangentially related to that.

It's more that Ghostbusters doesn't say anything, really. Least of all anything positive. It's just a perfect movie that, unless you're a rapey creep who's also a libertarian, but I repeat myself, ultimately doesn't attempt to uplift or bring down or comment in its message. It just is.

Ghostbusters 2 has a much stronger narrative throughline tying the whole thing together about everybody losing hope and faith in humankind even to the point of cynically casting aside the heroes who saved them five years ago, so its plot is more in sync with its themes than the first's, even though it's not as good of a film.

1's whole theme of "underdog weirdos fighting The Man" is entirely undercut by the fact that Venkman is a scam artist rear end in a top hat, which works great from a watchability standpoint, but confuses its theme.

All the science in the world wouldn't have stopped Vigo if New York couldn't pull together to remind everybody that, no, we're all struggling, but we'll hug and love and sing auld lang syne because, rear end in a top hat, you badly misjudged the lay of the land. People are basically good, and all that negativity evaporated the moment people had a good excuse to abandon it in favor of hope.

So, I love GB2 rather a lot, even if it's pretty objectively a worse film, but it gets more poo poo than it deserves, 'cause in some ways it's a better attempt at being an actual movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

You'd think, coming from me, but it's only tangentially related to that.

It's more that Ghostbusters doesn't say anything, really. Least of all anything positive. It's just a perfect movie that, unless you're a rapey creep who's also a libertarian, but I repeat myself, ultimately doesn't attempt to uplift or bring down or comment in its message. It just is.

Ghostbusters 2 has a much stronger narrative throughline tying the whole thing together about everybody losing hope and faith in humankind even to the point of cynically casting aside the heroes who saved them five years ago, so its plot is more in sync with its themes than the first's, even though it's not as good of a film.

1's whole theme of "underdog weirdos fighting The Man" is entirely undercut by the fact that Venkman is a scam artist rear end in a top hat, which works great from a watchability standpoint, but confuses its theme.

All the science in the world wouldn't have stopped Vigo if New York couldn't pull together to remind everybody that, no, we're all struggling, but we'll hug and love and sing auld lang syne because, rear end in a top hat, you badly misjudged the lay of the land. People are basically good, and all that negativity evaporated the moment people had a good excuse to abandon it in favor of hope.

So, I love GB2 rather a lot, even if it's pretty objectively a worse film, but it gets more poo poo than it deserves, 'cause in some ways it's a better attempt at being an actual movie.

You raise some good points actually, regarding the theme, but then go on to to expertly poo poo yourself at the end, there.

"...it's a better attempt at being an actual movie."

You see, you've fallen into the trap that elitists and some directors like Jordan Peele have, which is that THEME is the all-powerful, the alpha and omega. THEME is more important than character, it's more important than story, we must LEARN. This movie must TEACH!

gently caress. That.

You've already admitted that the movie with the great theme is a worse movie, so... what does theme actually do?

The answer: not a lot.

Ghostbusters is the best movie of all time, and it barely has a theme. Would having a strong theme make it the ultra-best movie? Who cares. You've already admitted that GB is incredibly rewatchable, which is one of the highest compliments you can give a movie, but man oh man, if only it tried to SAY SOMETHING while I watch it again and again...

The greatest movies of all time (GB, Big Trouble in Little China) don't concern themselves with themes. They just want to tell a great story. And they do. And that's why they're great. Sometimes a great story is all you need to "uplift" without telling us that LOVE CONQUERS ALL.

And that's my rant about "theme."

EDIT: I mean seriously, saying that Ghostbusters didn't "attempt at being an actual movie". What the hell does that even mean?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alan_Shore posted:

You raise some good points actually, regarding the theme, but then go on to to expertly poo poo yourself at the end, there.

"...it's a better attempt at being an actual movie."

You see, you've fallen into the trap that elitists and some directors like Jordan Peele have, which is that THEME is the all-powerful, the alpha and omega. THEME is more important than character, it's more important than story, we must LEARN. This movie must TEACH!

Hell, I'll go a bit further. Plot isn't the most important thing either. Film is a visual medium. How the story is told is just as important as the story itself. The framing of shots. The pacing, the editing. Use of sound to enhance what you're seeing.

Loved ghostbusters 2 as a kid, but as an adult, it just drags on and on.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I even like GB2! But it's clearly missing that magic. It's the atmosphere, there's just some crucial component that it lacks that GB has. Maybe it's too "clean", I don't know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

roffels posted:

Hell, I'll go a bit further. Plot isn't the most important thing either. Film is a visual medium. How the story is told is just as important as the story itself. The framing of shots. The pacing, the editing. Use of sound to enhance what you're seeing.

Loved ghostbusters 2 as a kid, but as an adult, it just drags on and on.

I remember somebody saying that the worst part of GB2 is you've seen it already.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'd argue Ghostbusters does have many themes. There's a lot going on under the hood. I don't agree with that one video which states it's about nothing which sometimes makes the rounds. What it doesn't have though is a clear controlling idea which all the strands pull toward, but that's not a necessity. It's like Die Hard in that way.

GB II does have that controlling idea, but, I feel is less thematically interesting. The ghosts are a little simpler, the conflicts are a little flatter, the texture of it quite diluted therefore all the spiciness of the first Ghostbusters that leads to those interesting ideas of science vs. spiritualism, the weird libertarian overtones to the slobs vs snobs stuff, lovecraftian beasts contrasted against 80s New York, aren't quite there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As others have mentioned Ghostbusters 2 really works extremely well if you're a kid, because it's legitimately scary and Vigo represents a much more understandable and specific threat that was very easy for a kid to latch onto compared to Gozer. The big showdown at the museum hits totally differently if you're young enough to be terrified of Vigo. When you're that age the comedy becomes necessary comic relief to the tension of not knowing of the Ghostbusters are gonna come out on top, it really becomes a horror movie first and foremost.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The lesson from Ghostbusters 2 is "Be Nice, until it's time not to Be Nice"

Or am I thinking of a different movie?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The lesson from Ghostbusters 2 is "Be Nice, until it's time not to Be Nice"

Or am I thinking of a different movie?

The seeds of Dalton's wisdom finds many fertile fields.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Themes and Jordan Peele kick rear end. What kind of crap was that post homie lmao

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Themes and Jordan Peele kick rear end. What kind of crap was that post homie lmao

You say that themes kick rear end, then said the movie without a theme is objectively better!

You said that Ghostbusters didn't try to be an "actual movie". Are you on glue

Get Out was great, and his other movies get worse and worse. Funnily enough, Get Out was the one with the best story and characters with a cohesive theme!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GB2 has the Louis as a lawyer scene which is one of the best scenes in the franchise

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan_Shore posted:

You say that themes kick rear end, then said the movie without a theme is objectively better!

You said that Ghostbusters didn't try to be an "actual movie". Are you on glue

Get Out was great, and his other movies get worse and worse. Funnily enough, Get Out was the one with the best story and characters with a cohesive theme!

I didn’t say any of this????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I didn’t say any of this????

You are absolutely right.

Since you went straight to themes I assumed you were the same person with the same hopes and dreams