Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/thegabecarey/status/1588991350317645824
Everything on that list of features is stupid. Who was asking for longer videos on Twitter? Is that really a thing? Anything longer than a minute and I'm out, and it'd better be bloody funny to even last that long.

Also notice how, outside of the checkmark, all of those features are still "coming soon". But pay now and you'll be just like those celebrities, brands, and politicians you love so much! Nobody will be able to tell you apart, finally you will matter and have friends and people will like you, you'll be just like Keanu Reeves

holy poo poo that just...reeks of desperation. Thats...not a good deal. Thats a terrible deal. LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1588982316973850625

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

SA basically had this back in the day when people actually cared about reg dates and you could pay $9.11 to change your reg date to 9/11/2001.

Holy poo poo does this still work

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

oh man waiting for this to be real

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

The Moon Monster posted:

SA basically had this back in the day when people actually cared about reg dates and you could pay $9.11 to change your reg date to 9/11/2001.

don't try to pretend reg dates don't matter, noob

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rigel posted:

He couldn't even wait out the rest of 2022 to learn the business from the inside and really get a good feel for the business, he just thought he was the boy genius who had all the answers.
It's clear he's ok being clownshoes on behalf of his investors both because of his vanity and precedent of doing that in the world, but yeah whatever endgame he originally had is clearly muddied up to the point where he's betting on exactly two things:

1. That there isn't a ready-enough substitute for people to migrate to, and for a lot of key Twitter people--celebrities, politicians, news agencies, corporate reps-- that is true. They're not leaving because like it or not, posting Tweets is still the fastest way to do releases they want to do. That tipping point still hasn't been reached, even if he's already burnt a loving ton of goodwill to the ground.

2. Riding out the press cycle and when everyone loses energy/interest for some other shiny thing, the changes will stick. "Yeah sure gripe and snipe at me all day, but you're still here and I know you have nowhere else to go."

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DrPossum posted:

don't try to pretend reg dates don't matter, noob

Yeah, having spent 20 years hanging around on a dead comedy forum is a badge of honor

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

How do I know this is the real Goods Vibes Mommy without the check mark?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I scrolled down a bit further and got to see a good moment where he goes for a big tech/economy statement and it just completely fizzles out

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588944501531643904

did this man just say that the economy is gdp per capita times capita?

quote:

economy = GDP/capita * capita

economy = GDP

ok thanks bro

me trying to explain why deploying code or a feature on friday is bad.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:allears:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
An employee will surely fix this quick.

Unless they were fired.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This wasn't supposed to be turned on until the 7th according to the docs floating around so either this accidentally toggled on early and incomplete because they dev team is just blindly deploying poo poo or they worked the remaining staff/QA all week to get this poo poo out

either option explains why it is not working at all

and what better way to lose goodwill than to sell people a $8 subscription that literally does nothing

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Testing. On. Live.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Last Call posted:

Unless they were fired.

That employee's name? Elon Musk

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

goatface posted:

Testing. On. Live.

I don't always deploy code but when I do, I do so in production

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Imagine having to scramble on a Saturday to deploy poo poo your idiot new boss wants done after he fired half your team.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Musks let’s them beta test his cars, this isn’t nearly as bad

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*phone spontaneously bursts into flames as I check Twitter*

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Last Call posted:

Unless they were fired.

The people that know how to fix problems were fired, they only kept coders that commit their entire venv

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
Turns out that while "poke at it until it explodes, review the data, build a new one, repeat" works reasonably okay for rockets, it's not a great way to upgrade social media.

Who woulda thunk it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Azhais posted:

The people that know how to fix problems were fired, they only kept coders that commit their entire venv

Lmao. drat you .gitignore you cost me this job!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
fortunately the entire customer service team was let go, so broken features are no impact to the company

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
can't fix won't fix

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

Testing. On. Live.

The test environment was among the infrastructure that got nuked for cost reasons

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mal-3 posted:

Turns out that while "poke at it until it explodes, review the data, build a new one, repeat" works reasonably okay for rockets, it's not a great way to upgrade social media.

Who woulda thunk it?

Well it doesn't work if you've only got the one $44b rocket. In which case youd have to be...

MrQwerty posted:

An astonishingly stupid man in every possible way.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lol at the richest man in the world doubling down on “Power to the people” for his subscription icon service

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/esthercrawford/status/1587709705488830464

What an absolute waste.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

mobby_6kl posted:

The test environment was among the infrastructure that got nuked for cost reasons

unironically that is what happened

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Sandboxes are for children.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I wonder if you can just claim you paid and tweet at Elon enough bitching you don't have a checkmark that you just get one... Or world, if the blue checks actually worked now, LMAO

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

how do you even try to put a good face on this abuse when these "deadlines" were pulled out of some cruel dipshit's rear end deeper than most deadlines

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i don't know how true the lines of code thing is, but literally steve balmer back in the 80s recognized that judging a coder or code base by lines of code is a bad way to judge code quality / work (it's from an interview with the pbs doc, "triumph of the nerds" but i can't find a clip of it).

hell there is a story about bill atkinson, the "father" of the modern GUI, writing "-2000" when his managers asked him how much work he had done (by lines of code) during the week.

these are all lessons learned in the 80s and musk apparently still has this thought process even though almost no on else in the tech industry believes lines of code is a good measurement of anything. like he could ask any big tech ceo if that's a good idea and they'd say, "no"

but he obviously hasn't talked to anyone in the tech industry. ceo of microsoft satya nadella? what's his net worth? $800 million? he's not worth enough to listen to.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I know it’s been said, but every single twaet that mentions elong is just flooded with sycophants tripping over each other to suck musks little pecker. It’s tremendously pathetic.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
i've pulled all nighters for work deadlines plenty of times, but i would never publicly tweet it out with a photo for millions to see like that woman did because allowing yourself to be worked like that is absolutely shameful, it's not a badge of honor

here's a photo of me being abused. also i'm posting it to suck up to my boss. :whitewater:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DrPossum posted:

how do you even try to put a good face on this abuse when these "deadlines" were pulled out of some cruel dipshit's rear end deeper than most deadlines

https://twitter.com/esthercrawford/status/1587819919881564166
https://twitter.com/esthercrawford/status/1587820101893378049

oh god they are working over the weekend
https://twitter.com/esthercrawford/status/1588969361976741888

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Move fast, break things

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

e: beaten

Where does “move fast, break things” come from?

Sounds like some dumb slogan a tech dork picked up doing a work retreat weekend “training” with an ex Navy SEAL and decided it sounded cool.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 5, 2022

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

DrPossum posted:

https://twitter.com/shantinix/status/1588512402332848129?s=20&t=s0lbuqiVrT2by1jW2h2fOg

They're holding standup meetings at 9:30 PM. She's a true believer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Given that every other tweet he makes is desperately appeasing advertisers I doubt we will see a trump return, sadly