Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Mantis42 posted:

sure he didn't die and didn't actually stop the tanks from doing their work for more than a moment, but his dissent was powerfully stated. a true hero for liberalism.

Not even a moment, it happened the morning after the square was cleared. Those tanks were leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When will people fully come to terms with the fact that Firefly was bad, actually?

Yes the movie too

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When will people fully come to terms with the fact that Firefly was bad, actually?

Yes the movie too

years ago

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the best space western is Sparks Nevada: Marshal on Mars

RandolphCarter has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Nov 5, 2022

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
it's actually The American Astronaut

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Do we count Outland

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yes the movie too

Reminder that Whedon wanted an episode centered around the courtesan getting kidnapped and raped, and having her poisoned vagina killed her rapists

https://gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

quote:

"he had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

“The way that he talks is based on Dana’s impression of his son,” says Armisen, who kindly gave Carvey a heads up before the sketch debuted: “So I sent him an email before it aired, I was like, ‘Hey, just so you know, we’re gonna do this sketch called ‘The Californians’ and it comes from your impression of your son.’”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1588982927056060416

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/aaroncarter/status/1588372352772976640?s=46&t=Ad0ol2eqP0gLYjMbU3MKQw

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Yes the movie too

You can't take the pie from me ...

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

shaqs revenge...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

shaqs revenge...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dana Carvey seems like the kind of guy who would make a lot of money off making fun of his son

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He had information that would lead to the arrest of Kanye West

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Barnes and noble are doing another 50% off the criterion collection sale. picked up fire walk with me, gonna rewatch twin peaks again.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

Barnes and noble are doing another 50% off the criterion collection sale. picked up fire walk with me, gonna rewatch twin peaks again.

just checked and made a lil gasp. blu-rays are $40 a pop? the discount price is what i thought the MSRP was gonna be

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

McCloud posted:

Reminder that Whedon wanted an episode centered around the courtesan getting kidnapped and raped, and having her poisoned vagina killed her rapists

https://gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

I never would have guessed that Joss Whedon of all people would turn out to be a sex pest. He has such a healthy attitude towards strong women!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/hetherrfortune/status/1589000781365407744?s=20&t=Y8HccO6HxkR9Rms-NF5ifw

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its extremely normal for singers to die young in their bathroom / bathtub

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

i say swears online posted:

just checked and made a lil gasp. blu-rays are $40 a pop? the discount price is what i thought the MSRP was gonna be

criterion collection releases are pricey but they’re worth it. especially when you can get them half off.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Antonymous posted:

its extremely normal for singers to die young in their bathroom / bathtub

This is why I don't bathe.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Whitney Houston died in the bath tub. Dolores O'Riordan died in the bath tub. we must end this scourge.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

uber_stoat posted:

Whitney Houston died in the bath tub. Dolores O'Riordan died in the bath tub. we must end this scourge.
After the Pelosi attack I heard someone say "Just watch, the dems are going to ban hammers now!" and it seems a quaint and old-fashioned joke from another era compared to the things people are saying sincerely now

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
processing this news the only way i truly know how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVKIva2KddY

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Knight posted:

After the Pelosi attack I heard someone say "Just watch, the dems are going to ban hammers now!" and it seems a quaint and old-fashioned joke from another era compared to the things people are saying sincerely now

$10 billion dollar pilot training program in all 50 states to better enable police officers located in the homes of speakers of houses.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Durf posted:

also i started watching Charlie Wilson's War cause it showed up on netflix. is this a good movie or CIA propaganda

cause everyone's in it but i somehow doubt the veracity and intentions of a story that opens with a sexy senator (who surely had all the looks and charm of Tom Hanks and completely consensual non-exploitive relationships with many ladies) getting the idea to fund the Mujahedeen through a Dan Rather broadcast

the latter but the distinction is a subtle one the lynchpin of american propaganda is the need to emphasize that we always mean well movies can depict the american government doing bad things but only due to individual bad actors who have been discredited as political undesirables for the last several years

in the case of charlie wilsons war charlie wilson himself and his various allies including the cia are portrayed as the good guys because theyre fighting against SOVIET OPPRESSION but only fail in the long term because other more short sighted senators refuse to continue funding the operation after the soviets have been kicked in the nuts

this interpretation of events very generously assumes that there was ever a point to the operation aside from just kicking the soviets in the nuts and hinges on both charlie wilson as well as the viewer being too fantastically ignorant about who the mujahedeen are and why theyre fighting against the soviets in the first place to assume that there was anything we could have done in the wake of their victory that would have made them not a pariah state

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also fighting the Soviets is bad, unless you're Mao

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

lol yah these were the ones I was thinkin of, and Elvis's soul leaving his body on the toilet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When I think of famous people dying in a bathtub I think of Marat because of the painting, but that wasn't his fault

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

I saw the midnight premiere of this film in my hometown with an autistic guy who won a bunch of money on who wants to be a millionaire - movie edition. The guy bought me and my friends tickets and he really enjoyed it. I would have been 17 and he was in his 40s. he didnt have sex with me or any of my friends, as far as I know. He spent most of the money on a PT cruiser.

my favorite kind of antonymous post the one that seems to imply they have a completely different gender and sexual orientation compared to the last one they made that had such implications

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Antonymous posted:

who wants to be a millionaire - movie edition
Misreading of this post has me thinking about a reality tv show venturing into theatrical release.

"This Friday - the Winner of Survivor 2039 will be revealed only a theaters and please don't tell anyone or people won't pay to see this tomorrow or ever again"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

my favorite kind of antonymous post the one that seems to imply they have a completely different gender and sexual orientation compared to the last one they made that had such implications

who's keeping track

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Antonymous posted:

who's keeping track

i am

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

im sorry man if youre a billionaire and getting bullied by your personal trainer then youre a loving pussy

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

who

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

white guy with face tattoos. he was beloved by millions

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i had the same thought but i didnt want to come off as an old man yells at clouds goon

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RIP to a man who was used and abused by hollywood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao why is Andor so good? The ending has to be a wet fart.