Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Adolf Glitter posted:

gently caress all donuts tho

This is why we need a god drat mod around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pumpkin spice refers to the things you add to pumpkin to produce pumpkin pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger)

It doesn't include pumpkin because it's a mix you add to pumpkin

But if you're eating a "pumpkin spice _______" it will often have a little pumpkin added too to get the whole experience

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

yeah can i get a pumpkin spice soup bowl served in a pumpkin tia

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Ah, it sounds like the taste of the smell they spray in shops at Christmas time

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Adolf Glitter posted:

Ah, it sounds like the taste of the smell they spray in shops at Christmas time

Basically. It's something that is pretty nice when done correctly and in moderation, but people ran it into the loving ground and/or created disgusting artificial versions that suck beyond belief.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pumpkin spice should be called "pumpkin pie spice" but yeah, it's just warming spices. White people garam masala.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eh. It goes by both names all the time. Sauces or spices can be like "fry sauce" where it's made for the thing, or it can be like fish, soy, and buffalo sauce where it's made OF the thing. Nobody gets a side of fry sauce and expects fried potato as an ingredient

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Op your donuts should have an only fans.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/OmBEBoP

I worked last night and I woke up too late to do anything cool so I did ten cups of self rising flour and five cups of buttermilk which conveniently fills a half pan to the brim which makes rolling a uniform thickness much easier. I also scored the donuts to make them craggy and crunchy this time and hit them with a milk and sugar glaze which was a nice balance to the buttermilk funk. I shook the holes up with some cinnamon sugar because I fried them last.

There was a double rainbow when I got there and zero donuts when I left and the whole time in between everyone told me how great they were.

So my quickest dirtiest recipe gets rave reviews I’m excited to see the reception for the really meticulous bullshit.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
God they look like garbage

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Those look delicious, now get a license to sell tobacco and lotto tickets. Maybe even have some video poker machines off in the corner with all the derelict equipment you are accumulating.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

God they look like garbage

I hope you feel better soon

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Those look delicious, now get a license to sell tobacco and lotto tickets. Maybe even have some video poker machines off in the corner with all the derelict equipment you are accumulating.

Why not just an opium den

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

with the enormous caveat that ive never baked anything more complicated than out of the box recipes in my life and therefore don't really know how to identify good baked goods: i would probably eat those, unless the first bite tasted bad, then i woudl not

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You've made donuts for people and they all got eaten, that's progress. What's your next step? Maybe selling at a market?

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Rationale posted:

Why not just an opium den

Repeat customers wouldn't be much of a problem.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Those donuts look fine, they just look like your typical homemade donuts which won't win a beauty contest but are perfectly fine. So, thanks for making me hungry for fresh donuts at 8PM on a Saturday night :arghfist:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tarnop posted:

You've made donuts for people and they all got eaten, that's progress. What's your next step? Maybe selling at a market?

Perhaps the Toronto Underground Food Market along with thrice-cooked English chips?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rationale posted:

Why not just a fentanyl den

You are in Ohio, this is the best idea you've had yet

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Those look inconsistently fried and over-iced to me. Not as bad as I expected, certainly not as bad as they could have been.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Also does anyone younger then 50 buy donuts?

Someone is always leaving piles of them around every office in the country.

"I have a few extra minutes and people at work would like a box of donuts" has to be what's keeping most donut shops afloat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s good people liked them. You are gonna have to practice a whole lot before they get to the point where they look good enough to pay for.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rationale posted:

https://imgur.com/a/OmBEBoP

I worked last night and I woke up too late to do anything cool so I did ten cups of self rising flour and five cups of buttermilk which conveniently fills a half pan to the brim which makes rolling a uniform thickness much easier. I also scored the donuts to make them craggy and crunchy this time and hit them with a milk and sugar glaze which was a nice balance to the buttermilk funk. I shook the holes up with some cinnamon sugar because I fried them last.

There was a double rainbow when I got there and zero donuts when I left and the whole time in between everyone told me how great they were.

So my quickest dirtiest recipe gets rave reviews I’m excited to see the reception for the really meticulous bullshit.

I think those look fine, honestly; one place I used to go to would just not make buttermilk donuts in donut shape, they would make them as little buttermilk bars (rectangles roughly the same or slightly smaller in length than the diameter of the rest of their donuts)

this is basically what they sold, looked more or less like this picture with the same variance between donuts:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Donuggets. Look good tbh

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just be sure not to offer any "Original Glazed" flavor as Krispy Kreme holds the trademark for that

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj9E4cIs3uQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Speaking of this place, they too are going for the "upscale boutique donut experience" rather than a greasy spoon Dozen-for-five-bucks kinda deal. Here's how they did their buildout, if you want to draw any inspiration, since they've been crushing it for years now and even expanded to a few locations

They only put out ~1-3 of each flavor on the display, so they can use the ones that turned out the nicest & make it look like they only craft a select few artisanal donuts each day. You get to the front of the LONG rear end line

And you'll be pumped to see there's exactly one of your favorite flavor left so you slam that $4.50 button, wait for your donut to be brought out on a plate and take a quick selfie before chowing down (there are QR codes at each table which launch Instagram w/ front-facing camera active and auto-tag the business in the post)

It's quite a lavish affair. They have 2-3 cashiers working at a time but they also have customer experience coordinators who come to you while you're waiting in line and ask what sort of Experience you're looking for today, what type of donuts you've enjoyed in the past, etc to ensure you get the right fit.

Their overhead is insane with no fewer than 5 employees at all times, and premier locations near the highest paid employers or most upscale shopping districts, with rents to match! That's important though because they need to be in the right location if they're going to target people who can and will wait 30 minutes to pay $9.25 for a coffee and a donut

You can also nab a half or full dozen for a minor $/donut savings, but that's typically booked out pretty far in advance

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

gently caress all of that

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Speaking of this place, they too are going for the "upscale boutique donut experience" rather than a greasy spoon Dozen-for-five-bucks kinda deal. Here's how they did their buildout, if you want to draw any inspiration, since they've been crushing it for years now and even expanded to a few locations

Lol free shipping for orders over $75 for donuts. Getting Goldbelly vibes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Please don't hire somebody to ask me how my experience is going as I wait in line, OP

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Don't bother making the donuts look better just call the place ugly donuts or something and make that your schtick.

I mean, if they taste good people will talk about it because it has an interesting thing, right?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

This would have been a good post a few years ago but Blue Star went bankrupt, closed many of their locations, and now does most of their business in grocery stores.

You know, like several people here suggested, and would make sense, if you weren't mostly just looking for a problem you could use your empty building as a solution to.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just be sure not to offer any "Original Glazed" flavor as Krispy Kreme holds the trademark for that

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj9E4cIs3uQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

They only put out ~1-3 of each flavor on the display, so they can use the ones that turned out the nicest & make it look like they only craft a select few artisanal donuts each day. You get to the front of the LONG rear end line

And you'll be pumped to see there's exactly one of your favorite flavor left so you slam that $4.50 button, wait for your donut to be brought out on a plate and take a quick selfie before chowing down (there are QR codes at each table which launch Instagram w/ front-facing camera active and auto-tag the business in the post)

It's quite a lavish affair. They have 2-3 cashiers working at a time but they also have customer experience coordinators who come to you while you're waiting in line and ask what sort of Experience you're looking for today, what type of donuts you've enjoyed in the past, etc to ensure you get the right fit.

Their overhead is insane with no fewer than 5 employees at all times, and premier locations near the highest paid employers or most upscale shopping districts, with rents to match! That's important though because they need to be in the right location if they're going to target people who can and will wait 30 minutes to pay $9.25 for a coffee and a donut

You can also nab a half or full dozen for a minor $/donut savings, but that's typically booked out pretty far in advance

I went to a crumbl cookie place for the first time the other week and it reminds me a lot of this. They’ve got the boutique ‘feel’ down without actually providing anything like good service or unique experiences. 20 bucks for 4 cookies is a criminal offense imo.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Now I'm hungry for donuts. When it comes time for you to renovate that shack into something habitable please post a project thread in Haunted Crypts and Horrors.

Seriously. We love underdog stories like fire pit box trucks full of CO.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How did Portland go so incredibly astray? Californians probably

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Keep Portland weird, says a guy who moved there from San Francisco eighteen months ago,

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I've never hated anything more. So thanks for that I guess. $51 a loving dozen.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

How did Portland go so incredibly astray? Californians probably

Bloody posted:

Keep Portland weird, says a guy who moved there from San Francisco eighteen months ago,

Basically. The writing was on the wall the moment the city became "hip" enough to even conceive the concept of the Portlandia show. :v:

Semi-related: Conservatives in red states that I occasionally keep in contact with for god-only-knows-why love to trot out the whole "people are running away from California in droves!" horseshit line, but it usually makes them stop and think when you point out that they're gonna move to the cheaper red states and bring their politics + COL with them. "Do you realize that my town alone could turn your state blue if it relocated there? You might want to reconsider how much you celebrate this."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 6, 2022

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Used to drive by some sanctioned graffiti that said “keep Mirkwood odd” and it pissed me off every time

I thought $20 was too much til I scoped out a shop two towns over that charged 1995 for various cakes with lovely icing jobs. Then this place with the bullshit. Shiny shoe people ruin everything

Rationale fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2022

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When voodoo opened it was like ya this is a bit overpriced and gimmicky, but you were still going to a weird hole in the wall to buy a donut shaped like a dick

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

When voodoo opened it was like ya this is a bit overpriced and gimmicky, but you were still going to a weird hole in the wall to buy a donut shaped like a dick

A coworker of mine here in SF literally flew to Portland to go to Voodoo Donuts, back in like 2016 or 2017. Presumably she did other stuff too, but that was the part she kept telling us about.

I won't walk ten minutes out of my way for a donut, while some people will apparently deal with airport security for them. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Voodoo is fine. There's an extremely low ceiling to how good a donut can be. Flying for it is Goldbelly to me.