Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

RIP like half the hunter exam contestants in the forest who got clown murder hoboed

Yeah, Hisoka does his share of random-ish killing. He's just less indiscriminate about it that the Phantom Troupe, who in turn are less indiscriminate about it than the Heil-Ly Mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nonexistence posted:

RIP like half the hunter exam contestants in the forest who got clown murder hoboed

He wanted to thin down the heard of unworthy Hunters cause he felt the first exam was too easy, and also find out if their was some people with good potential in the groups he attacked.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They attacked him first

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Posters ITT be like murder clown who gets tracked by butterflies smelling the blood of his victims is actually quite prudent and judicious lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hisoka loves murder, he just lets people live if he thinks he'll orgasm harder by murdering them later.

If he doesn't think you'll make his murderboner harder later then you die.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

Posters ITT be like murder clown who gets tracked by butterflies smelling the blood of his victims is actually quite prudent and judicious lmao

They all bumped into him. They should've apologized.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I wonder if Togashi will have someone on the Hei-Ly mafia turbo level by killing the other members. It's a simple way to thin their numbers for the story, and also to mirror the situation with the princes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Scallop Eyes posted:

I wonder if Togashi will have someone on the Hei-Ly mafia turbo level by killing the other members. It's a simple way to thin their numbers for the story, and also to mirror the situation with the princes.

It's my hope that quantity is its own quality, in the sense that one or two of the random people getting powers will luck out in something really useful. Maybe one is specialization with a weird power. Although it seems the Hei-ly subplot could end soon? if the room they discovered goes directly to their lair where Morena and the rest are. No time for sub level 20 people getting new powers.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wonder what happens if an already strong nen user gets a smooch from morena, if hisoka steals a kiss will he be able to get supercharged

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

Since some are aware that it will be harder to get civilian kills and we don't know how much more pressure the combined forces of the Cha-R and Xi-Yu families will present, they will absolutely implode on each other at some point.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of, what Togashi is doing in general in HxH, is reinterpreting lots of known supernatural events as 'actually, in this setting is nen!'

Ghosts? Nen (we had an example on the girl who dispossess corpses, normal people can't see her, but if some rando genius has a weird affinity with nen or is 'nen awakened' without knowing, he/she will see the 'ghost'.
Curses beyond the grave? Powerful, dangerous post-death nen, as we have been told many times. An example, Camilla's curse users.
Hypnosis? Nen (manipulator powers, obviously)
Fortune telling? Nen (Neon)
Objects with seemingly magical powers? Nen (any conjuration poo poo).
Etc

Oh yeah Nen is 100% a cryptid/paranormal catch-all applied to the Shonen artform. It's "What if punchmans was real, but engineers knew it and used it and everyone was still pretty much as miserable, anyway?" It's a zero-sum game.

HxH is Fullmetal Alchemist but it started earlier and also takes longer (This is not a bad thing. FMA and HxH both rule).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hisoka doesn't usually go on random killing sprees because he usually has better things to do. hisoka was bored and mildly pissed off about having to follow directions from the exam proctors, most of whom were weaker than him. then some pathetically weak dudes crossed his path during this pathetically easy test and off he went.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I also like how this chapter confirms that most if not all of Morena's people are on the same mental level as Cheetu. The two that didn't die to pigeons are so fixated on just that one expression they haven't even considered that Hinrigh's power is more complex and will absolutely die to some other animal in the future because they either hyper focus on any birds or fail to see them and assume the coast is clear. So like how Cheetu tried to emulate Knuckle's ability and it backfired, these guys are going to have some hatsu born from reacting to the changing landscape and fail spectacularly. I suspect only 1 or two of them will actually be a legitimate threat in the end and the rest will be honest dumb luck if they get a significant kill.

The pro gamer having some kind of HUD power that lets her see someone's health or whatnot might actually be a good though. It's a shame Morena isn't more involved with her groups development for nen. Her power is just Pouf's own nen acceleration power on steroids and she clearly has the basics of nen theory down herself. But her crew are pissing in the wind and not united on what their goals actually are since everyone is a deranged killer with their own ideas and fetishes for murder.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's a very interesting shotgun approach where almost all of the pellets are rubber bullets that'll kill someone unarmored and equipped but utterly worthless against anyone with actual natural/cultivated skill and honestly I'm certain this is just leading up to the one or two competent people just murdering the rest for points

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I cant figure out what the Heil-Ly people having random rear end jobs is supposed to mean, how did they even get recruited into this deadly rear end mafia, a loving Gamestop employee?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

frajaq posted:

I cant figure out what the Heil-Ly people having random rear end jobs is supposed to mean, how did they even get recruited into this deadly rear end mafia, a loving Gamestop employee?

By murdering other people in the org

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

frajaq posted:

From a writing perspective it gives us an easy way to guess and then correlate their nen ability to who they are since these guys are as shallow as a puddle. In-universe this is probably just what they did before Morena convinced them that a purge was a good idea and all we know is that these people were willing to sign up with her extremely suicidal murder spree on a boat in the middle of nowhere. Like MonsterEnvy says, I think these guys killed their way into the mafia or at least weren't the respectable members of the Hei-Ly group before Morena took over.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I like the mob guy who's just like "wow, the troupe is sick. I gotta get their autographs"

lol

wild that hxh is back and it feels like togashi hasn't missed a step at all. just as good as it ever was. still bursting with fresh ideas all the time.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What’s most surprising (concerning?) is that the art is extremely good. You’d think he’d be taking it easier but nope.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think he's relying on his assistants more than he used to, and recently hired more too

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yeah the art has been phenomenal, I'm rereading the rest of hxh currently and it's really impressive at times, and that seems to be back.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lih posted:

i think he's relying on his assistants more than he used to, and recently hired more too

I'm pretty sure, yep.

Son of Rodney posted:

Yeah the art has been phenomenal, I'm rereading the rest of hxh currently and it's really impressive at times, and that seems to be back.

Rereading the first four volumes can get a bit surprising. In comparison they look a bit cheap (backgrounds, what's that?). It was his shortcut to have a weekly release (and that's being decades younger and not having the current health issues)

(literally 0 backgrounds in the last one, despite being a full page)

I could put more but you get the idea. And not only the backgrounds, the characters and ink work are also more detailed:

edit: fun comparison

vs

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 5, 2022

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yeah just reading the entire York shin arc you notice how it gets more detailed as it goes on, for example feitan looks very simple at the beginning and gets closer to the current look as it goes on. Similar with the backgrounds.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m reading Yorknew as an anime watcher (who jumped into the manga at the Chrollo/Hisoka fight) and I can’t really articulate it, but the way Togashi draws is really striking sometimes, like Chrollo’s face in some panels perfectly conveys the “I’ll kill a tribe for their cool sharingan eyes without batting an eye and sell them a month later” brand of amoral psycho he is better than the anime did, and also sells the lowkey sorrow Chrollo felt at Uvogin’s death. Conversely, the anime really did Uvo’s requiem justice, not that the manga was bad or even mediocre in that regard but still.

Also, man, “chain dude” is a really, really stupid thing to call Kurapika, lol.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

I’m reading Yorknew as an anime watcher (who jumped into the manga at the Chrollo/Hisoka fight) and I can’t really articulate it, but the way Togashi draws is really striking sometimes, like Chrollo’s face in some panels perfectly conveys the “I’ll kill a tribe for their cool sharingan eyes without batting an eye and sell them a month later” brand of amoral psycho he is better than the anime did, and also sells the lowkey sorrow Chrollo felt at Uvogin’s death. Conversely, the anime really did Uvo’s requiem justice, not that the manga was bad or even mediocre in that regard but still.

Also, man, “chain dude” is a really, really stupid thing to call Kurapika, lol.

You should post some panels of Chrollo's face for us anime watchers who only read the manga from after the anime cuts off onward

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I would but as a mobile user idk how the gently caress to go about that,

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I have some stupid hope that we're going to get regular releases for the forseeable future. Seems like Togashi has changed things up enough to allow a normal production schedule. Why hire more assistants for just 10 chapters?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

I have some stupid hope that we're going to get regular releases for the forseeable future. Seems like Togashi has changed things up enough to allow a normal production schedule. Why hire more assistants for just 10 chapters?

I have the stupid hope of the next hiatus being short (3-4 months?) and they will continue doing chapters after that.

Brought To You By posted:

I also like how this chapter confirms that most if not all of Morena's people are on the same mental level as Cheetu. The two that didn't die to pigeons are so fixated on just that one expression they haven't even considered that Hinrigh's power is more complex and will absolutely die to some other animal in the future because they either hyper focus on any birds or fail to see them and assume the coast is clear. So like how Cheetu tried to emulate Knuckle's ability and it backfired, these guys are going to have some hatsu born from reacting to the changing landscape and fail spectacularly. I suspect only 1 or two of them will actually be a legitimate threat in the end and the rest will be honest dumb luck if they get a significant kill.

The pro gamer having some kind of HUD power that lets her see someone's health or whatnot might actually be a good though. It's a shame Morena isn't more involved with her groups development for nen. Her power is just Pouf's own nen acceleration power on steroids and she clearly has the basics of nen theory down herself. But her crew are pissing in the wind and not united on what their goals actually are since everyone is a deranged killer with their own ideas and fetishes for murder.

Morena's people aren't good, as expected of some randos who has been given hatsu without proper previous nen training, nor have experience with nen combat. But at least they were collaborating, with Luini using his ability to abduct people and make the others level up safely. That's already above what I expected, I thought it was more a 'everyone for themselves' situation where each member was going to go into individual killing all over the boat to try to reach level 21. However it seems they weren't actively controlling who get the kill each time so now they have a bunch of level 17-20, while the threshold to gain the ability is level 21. That's their big mistake. Because it would have been much better for them to have already 3 more nen users than have 6 people close to the threshold.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hisoka was so chaotic before he was about to be ended by Netero by his own wishes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not sure if there's a good word for it, but there's a difference between someone who will kill you for almost any reason and someone who'll kill you for no reason.

I was just thinking the other day that Zenos Finalfantasy XIV, in spite of being renowned as a completely batshit murderhobo who thinks only of killing, is actually a pretty safe person to be standing next to if you have no desire to fight him, because he only wants to fight things that might be interesting, and is actually willing to put up with a surprising level of bullshit from other people because even someone deliberately trying to wind him up doesn't irritate him any more than his own ennui does.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not sure if there's a good word for it, but there's a difference between someone who will kill you for almost any reason and someone who'll kill you for no reason.

I was just thinking the other day that Zenos Finalfantasy XIV, in spite of being renowned as a completely batshit murderhobo who thinks only of killing, is actually a pretty safe person to be standing next to if you have no desire to fight him, because he only wants to fight things that might be interesting, and is actually willing to put up with a surprising level of bullshit from other people because even someone deliberately trying to wind him up doesn't irritate him any more than his own ennui does.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Specifically, Hisoka will kill you for almost any reason, but seemingly only if you’ve “assumed the risk” to some degree (Hunter Exam examinees, Heaven’s Arena fighters, Blacklist Hunters, etc.). The Phantom Troupe will kill you for almost any reason, even if you’re a civilian. The Heil-Ly Mafia will kill you for no reason.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Those mafia guys would kill you if they think they could get away with it. The Phantom Troupe and Hisoka know they can get away with it so they barely bother.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

bees x1000 posted:

he's aiming for at least 20 chapters this time, whether we get more is just going to depend on his health.

also remember he started working on this batch way earlier in the year, so it's not exactly any sort of normal production schedule and he'll catch up to his backlog before too long. but i'd certainly hope that his health doesn't get any worse and having more assistants means the process goes quicker or at least is possible to maintain

lih fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 6, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I have the stupid hope of the next hiatus being short (3-4 months?) and they will continue doing chapters after that.

Morena's people aren't good, as expected of some randos who has been given hatsu without proper previous nen training, nor have experience with nen combat. But at least they were collaborating, with Luini using his ability to abduct people and make the others level up safely. That's already above what I expected, I thought it was more a 'everyone for themselves' situation where each member was going to go into individual killing all over the boat to try to reach level 21. However it seems they weren't actively controlling who get the kill each time so now they have a bunch of level 17-20, while the threshold to gain the ability is level 21. That's their big mistake. Because it would have been much better for them to have already 3 more nen users than have 6 people close to the threshold.

Four years of sitting on the Cha-R statements that their own family had lost something like 300 workers. And Luini's initial killings being very meticulous given he disguised himself like a soldier, killed quickly, and then raised the alarm himself with Cashew as his "witness". And finally the haphazard but still sensical attempt to pit the Cha-R and Troupe against each other gave me the impression that while some of her people would be whimsical and potentially too unhinged to function, they would be at least more individually competent when it came to killing.

Had we gotten a normal release schedule, Luini would have tipped his hand at being too much of a fanatic and died like a chump and Morena's faction being far more unskilled and prepped for this kind of warfare than I'd previously assumed. And this is by no means a bad thing to see what they actually are, because we'll get to see some really desperate serial killers start figuring things out and coordinating more effectively and eventually a couple standouts will arise from the ranks. The real terror of Morena's power is three-fold in my mind now. One is that any of these guys makes it off the boat as without a doubt this power will remain even if Morena dies. Two is that Morena has been likened to a game master multiple times and she has levels herself which can mean a number of things. And three is that if one of these guys makes it to level 100 then it all will start over again with the rubber shotgun effect.

I also just really enjoy how refreshingly amateur these guys are. They are fun in how they interact with each other.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
A few random things that I’ve been noticing in my reread (now on the Yorknew arc):

• Leorio has more dignity in the manga than he does in the 2011 anime, but less than I’d remembered him having.
  • I’d forgotten Kurapica’s claim, during his fight with Uvogin, to feel a degree of visceral disgust with the violence he’s engaging in. I guess that makes the 1999 anime addition of Kurapica praying and vomiting after killing Uvogin more defensible than I’d thought, especially because Kurapica does seem a bit under the weather afterwards in the manga. Of course we now know that Kurapica was under the weather mostly from the effects of Emperor Time, but this was less obvious in 1999.
  • The whole subplot about forging antiques is the sort of trivia-about-something-the-author-just-read-about tangent I associate more with JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure than Hunter x Hunter. It is technically foreshadowing for the way Gon and Killua escape Nobunaga, and it does touch on the amoral side of Gon’s personality, but the detail here is clearly more a reflection of the author’s interests than of its plot or even character importance - and that’s OK!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Yorknew) God, either I never noticed or the anime missed it but lol at Chrollo running on the side of a building with his hands in his pockets.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Official release
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015130

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So the real question i have:

What kind of movie is hisoka watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011