Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I played a few rounds of Vermintide 2, and it kind of made me realise how boring the set pieces in Darktide demos were.

Hopefully they can reach something similar in Darktide. I do not miss the non-Chaos Wastes gameplay though. With those tomes and grimoires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah the tomes and grims were not a welcome part of the formula.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did we ever find out if the tomes/grims were in set locations in Darktide or were they random loot?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know that they're random mission mutators rather than guaranteed, but don't know if you start a mission with them active whether or not they're always in the same spots

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I didn't play enough of them to compare locations tbh

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
They are not fixed iirc, but [citation needed]

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I hope they're less of a thing in general because they are such a bad mechanic when playing with randoms and are are mostly a chore when playing with friends.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh right, also tomes/grims in darktide demo were all or nothing; you didn't get partial credit for only getting some of them. I really hope they don't keep this or pub runs are gonna be insufferable when we start getting people who insist on grabbing all of them.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Should have just let you optionally choose to not have a slot 3/4 usable for a points boost

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Should have just thrown that mechanic in the trash can forever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand it. Just really ruins the flow of the game and adds something for people to rage about.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I like tomes and grims. Tomes never made the game harder to grab and if you were with pubs and didn't want a grim you could pick it up yourself then destroy it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd prefer that the tomes and grims got replaced with something a bit more engaging. A side mission or something like an optional combat arena. Maybe randomise the location of the side mission mcguffin idk.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The worst thing about grims was always the handful that were annoying fiddly jumping puzzles where the platforms would just slide you off half the time even if you hit them perfectly and yes I am looking at you Empire in Flames.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JBP posted:

I'd prefer that the tomes and grims got replaced with something a bit more engaging. A side mission or something like an optional combat arena. Maybe randomise the location of the side mission mcguffin idk.

Kinda like how they do this sort of thing in DRG

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bussamove posted:

The worst thing about grims was always the handful that were annoying fiddly jumping puzzles where the platforms would just slide you off half the time even if you hit them perfectly and yes I am looking at you Empire in Flames.

They should expand these and you should have to do a surf map to get a grim

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Bussamove posted:

That one wasnt so bad. I always had trouble with the one in the swamp though

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Does anyone know if the early play period if you buy the game now will reset progress on actual release?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
no idea but it shouldn't be a huge issue either way?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

TescoBag posted:

Does anyone know if the early play period if you buy the game now will reset progress on actual release?

Nobody really knows, but it seems the intention is to keep progress if they can, but reserve the right to reset if they need to. Vermintide (1? 2?) apparently did something similar and kept progress.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TescoBag posted:

The plan is yes to keeping progress but no guarantee, in case something goes sideways.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Bussamove posted:

That first grim in War Camp.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Bussamove posted:

Love to interrupt a good mission flow to spend 2 minutes cursing and jumping on little pillars to grab a book, or worse, sit there and watch 3 other people try to do it because I'm already carrying one

Gunfire Reborn has some of these too and it pisses me off everytime I random into one.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Grims and tomes as implemented in vermintide were not one of their better ideas for replayability, would of worked better as random challenges in-mission to increase the end reward or have them as random spawns that increased the end reward at a lower rate, or just something that you could choose as a hard mode at the start without having to do those dumb pixel jump puzzles.

And to not have curse-resist gear be almost mandatory for grabbing 2 of them if you wanted to take a hit.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: nm, misunderstood

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I think throwing them in random spots could be potentially worse. All of these types of games get ruined when one person goes too fast, running off ahead to die alone, or by bringing the pace of the run to a crawl as they inspect every corner overworking. I can see the second one being a problem if people are always hanging behind, looking for books. Hopefully that's just me overworrying, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah something that they apparently really tried to encourage through the morale system (or whatever it was called, it's been a minute since the stress test) was everyone sticking together and with that in mind it was even more amazing that everyone would scattered to the four corners of the earth within nanoseconds of starting a mission

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently we aren't the only ones wondering about this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/ymum3s/anyone_know_if_the_grimsrelicstomes_are_in_static/

Pennsylvanian posted:

I think throwing them in random spots could be potentially worse. All of these types of games get ruined when one person goes too fast, running off ahead to die alone, or by bringing the pace of the run to a crawl as they inspect every corner overworking. I can see the second one being a problem if people are always hanging behind, looking for books. Hopefully that's just me overworrying, though.

This is a concern of mine as well. If they are going to be in a bunch of random places, now we are going to have people who take exploring every inch to the logical conclusion and not everyone in the group is going to want to do that.

I'm not sure exactly what their plans are, but I hope they do something that doesn't suck. Or at the very least are more open to changing it, unlike the tone/grim mechanics in Vermintide. Really is my only real complaint about the game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing is they're only interesting the first time you go through the map or watch a youtube video, and then they're just tediousness.

The model Back For Blood had for its campaign of stacking buffs and debuffs that would make each map playthrough slightly different was really good (shame about the rest of the game).

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah tome and grims for advanced players are really just a question of whether you want the slot taken up or the curse; actively hunting for them is just not a consideration because you already looked up on YouTube where to find them.

If tome or grims were in equally out of the way but completely random spots the community would either ignore them or inspect every molecule looking for them and probably both types on the same team.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
It would be hard to put them in truly random spots and still ensure they were always reachable. The best you'd get is probably a random choice of a limited number of spots and then you're back to the "look it up on YouTube" problem, just with more locations to remember.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Could make them part of some kind of pathway split where it's fairly clear which way the grim is, and that way is also explicitly harder and longer. Like, you get to a fork in the road or something and one has some creepy cultists chanting audibly and the other doesn't. First fork is longer, creates extra spawns, and eventually gets you to a grim.

It won't be annoying jumping puzzles, but it will mean going to the extra reward also means more risk and I like that from grims.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The thing is, grims are already supposed to be risk/reward mechanisms. Creating more risk to get the risk is a bit counterintuitive.

Making them actual optional objectives would work in your model though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mendrian posted:

The thing is, grims are already supposed to be risk/reward mechanisms. Creating more risk to get the risk is a bit counterintuitive.

Making them actual optional objectives would work in your model though.

Yeah, I meant ditching the HP loss effect completely and adding optional objectives /recovery items/whatever that are clearly signposted.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's forcing you to spend extra time in a game where health is a finite resource, the game AI might throw a horde at you if you are taking your time (or not) and on a meta level rewards are more based on how quickly you clear levels than anything else.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, the whole thing originated as a nod to left 4 Dead 2 and the gnome you could bring through the carnival. To that end, why not just make them obvious and easy to grab near the top of the map and then the challenge is taking it all the way through the level, rather than making it a scavenger hunt too.

Make it like a single heavy carry-able like a small crate or the like that slowly corrupts just the person carrying it. Then it's a matter of like balancing who's carrying it and taking the corruption at any given time, they aren't as able to effectively fight back while carrying it, ect.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If it was something one person could pick up at the start to make the run more difficult for them, I wouldn't care. It's the fact that people derail the map's forward momentum and go wandering off to search, often taking multiple tries at whatever bullshit jumping puzzle the grimoire is gated behind, that loving sucks. Worse still are the people that do all then and get pissy when you don't do the same thing. It's straight-up the reason why I quit running normal vermintide maps and if it ends up the same in darktide then there's no fuckin' way that I buy the game.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Maps are only as interesting as they are dynamic when playing them over and over again. As such static tome placement is boring.

Apparently game pass and steam store cannot play together. What version of the game are most people playing? Is there a goon discord of PC steam players?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The best part about Chaos Wastes was not having the hyper weirdos explode into massive rants because someone wasn't following the optimal route through the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Maps are only as interesting as they are dynamic when playing them over and over again. As such static tome placement is boring.

Apparently game pass and steam store cannot play together. What version of the game are most people playing? Is there a goon discord of PC steam players?

I will be game pass until it's clear whether the game has legs or not.