Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

drat, wish FF was here to tell us how the Pope's infallibility applies correctly

I remember something from my old theology lessons about him only being infallible when he speaks with his special "I'm being infallible now" voice, not just whenever

Not a Catholic, but the basic idea is that papal infallibility doesn't mean that the pope cannot make mistakes or say things that are wrong normally, but he has a special way to issue a statement that is referred to as speaking ex cathedra where he starts a special press release / statement with a specific combinations of words that basically mean "okay I am now speaking with the literal force of God's moral correctness so what I say next is objectively theologically correct so take special note".

For example, the pope once issued a statement ex cathedra about how when Mary was close to death, she was bodily taken into heaven and never experienced actual death. That's not anywhere in the Bible but because of being said ex cathedra it means that the Assumption of Mary is considered to be on the same level of Having Happened as the Sermon on the Mount or Jesus walking on the Sea of Galilee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

Majoran beat me black and blue. But I never hated him. I said, 'Thank you for your service.'

Giving you that 6er hurt me than it hurt you.:smith:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
well well well...

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

unlimited shrimp posted:

I don't know what I thought Moscow was like but I started clicking around Street View and apparently its in the middle of a giant forest? What the gently caress

yeah I’ve passed through it’s airport a few times and it’s basically uberwald. just surrounded on all sides by spooky forests.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

As long as it’s a humorless laugh of disapproval it’s allowed.:hai:

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

?? what forest

The orcs expanded into Ashenvale recently.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

recently?? that was eighteen years ago

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

watch garrosh start a loving war

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ex cathedra right that's it

this is unrelated, but i knew a guy who got an official letter of excommunication from the bishop because he made microwave nachos with the communion wafers

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

recently?? that was eighteen years ago

that's recent in night elf years

Azathoth posted:

watch garrosh start a loving war

it's thrall's loving fault they settled in a desert

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

this is unrelated, but i knew a guy who got an official letter of excommunication from the bishop because he made microwave nachos with the communion wafers

Dudes rock.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

speng31b posted:

in fairness, any man who would make nachos from communion wafers has strayed too far from god's light

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

in fairness, any man who would make nachos from communion wafers has strayed too far from god's light

Yeah, it probably needed a poo poo ton of salt to make it palatable at the very least.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i always kinda liked the way communion wafers tasted lol. not enough to keep me going to mass though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

yeah, if they were actually consecrated, that tracks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speng31b posted:

on the flipside, my childhood friend who i got 120 stars with in mario 64 was an anglican priest for a bit until they allowed gay people and now he's in full communion with francis

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

communion wafers not having any salt is a crime against god

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lobster shirt posted:

i always kinda liked the way communion wafers tasted lol. not enough to keep me going to mass though.

you can just buy them on amazon

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Is Philippine/non US Opus Dei anything like US Opus Dei, which seems to be "gently caress you we wanna stay in 1950"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
$20 for 1,000 pieces of christ's flesh right here

https://www.amazon.com/Broadman-Church-Communion-White-Wafers/dp/0805470859

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
i liked keeping them in my mouth then swishing them around with the wine you drink after

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

yeah, if they were actually consecrated, that tracks

I don't think they were consecrated but they made an exception because he was such an extreme dick about it

he warmed them up in the cafeteria microwave and pretended they were a new cafeteria menu item called jesus nachos

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
drat those are some cheap rear end wafers. give me a saltine at least

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

speng31b posted:

catholics go hard

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i say swears online posted:

on the flipside, my childhood friend who i got 120 stars with in mario 64 was an anglican priest for a bit until they allowed gay people and now he's in full cummunion with francis

:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

I don't think they were consecrated but they made an exception because he was such an extreme dick about it

he warmed them up in the cafeteria microwave and pretended they were a new cafeteria menu item called jesus nachos

lmao holy poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It always bugged me that the Last Supper was a feast, but when it's recreated for Communion, the flesh of Christ is some lovely crackers.

Also, I just got caught up with this thread and I wanted to say that Majorian's choice of Swan Lake to close out the last thread was inspired.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

you can buy the unblessed bits from before they punched the circular wafers out of the sheets as a snack, they’re called Ritagli de Ostie in Italy/Vatican City and retailles d’hosties in Quebec

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
reddit is low hanging fruit but

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/ympz68/ukrainian_soldier_wearing_rhodesian_flag_and/

this guy is a rhodesian historian! also italian

quote:

I don't want to argue. I don't want to sound paternalistic either. But you got the story wrong.

Rhodesia became Zimbabwe, but the guy is wearing a Rhodesian flag - the one adopted after it got independence from Britain.

The struggle of the indigenous/Africans was just another operation by the soviets (financing the terrorist group ZAPU) and the Chinese (financing ZANU) - just like in Vietnam, Korea, Nicaragua, Cuba, Cambodia, Mozambique, Angola, Jugoslavia and so on. Russia seized the moment - Rhodesia claiming its independence from the UK as promised in 1923, which was supposed to happen when the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland broke up - to finance ultranationalists like Joshua Nkomo, Ndabaningi Sithole, and Robert Mugabe. Other black politicians, like Abel Muzorewa, were replaced with more "communist-friendly" ones. Immediately after that, Mugabe began a genocide of the Ndebele population (he was a Shona, of the Zezuru clan) and the white farmers who were left in the country.

I'd dispute white supremacy as well - although surely there was an imbalance of power, and surely white rhodesians were often ignorant of African cultures and traditions, and this caused plenty of problems along the way.

If you're interested, I can suggest a few books. If not, no worries.

might take him up on the offer.

e:

quote:

If you care to learn a bit about Rhodesia, I can suggest two books:

- Rhodesia - A complete History by Peter Baxter. By far the most complete book I read. It has plenty of sources, including ones that were inaccessible to me directly.
- The Rhodesia that was my life by Robert Clarkson Tredgold. It describes Rhodesia in its entirety until the year 1968, and is fairly objective though the author was critical of the government - in my mind it's a good book because it keeps things in perspective.

The world has lost its ability to discuss things politely, and to look at things objectively. It's a controversial topic though, so I guess it's to be expected.

if anyone wants to learn about the fine state of rhodesia i guppose

e2: the comments were quite against him

Quotey has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Nov 6, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

"Kept things in perspective" lmfao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
mugabe whipped rear end and anyone who doesnt like him is bad.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

holy poo poo i just saw the title of that reddit thread lmfao

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

holy poo poo i just saw the title of that reddit thread lmfao

the entire rhodesian community. you better loving believe it, and be scared.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chamale posted:

It always bugged me that the Last Supper was a feast, but when it's recreated for Communion, the flesh of Christ is some lovely crackers.

Also, I just got caught up with this thread and I wanted to say that Majorian's choice of Swan Lake to close out the last thread was inspired.

That was actually KitConstantine's idea! But I'm glad you appreciated it.:)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Quotey posted:

reddit is low hanging fruit but

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/ympz68/ukrainian_soldier_wearing_rhodesian_flag_and/

this guy is a rhodesian historian! also italian

might take him up on the offer.

e:

if anyone wants to learn about the fine state of rhodesia i guppose

average Ukraine fan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Quotey posted:

the entire rhodesian community. you better loving believe it, and be scared.

dozens of us. dozens!!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Who says war doesn't bring out the best in men?:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rhodesia is a great country, like the old South Africa, because there's literally no reason to be a fan of those countries except