Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

Is Philippine/non US Opus Dei anything like US Opus Dei, which seems to be "gently caress you we wanna stay in 1950"

that's exactly it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
say what you will about Robert mugabe but ending rodesia is an all timer G move

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Critical support for Robert Mugabe

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I miss classic poster Mugabe Glasses' av. All-time S-tier av.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

say what you will about Robert mugabe but ending rodesia is an all timer G move

ending Rhodesia by blowing up their whole strategic fuel reserve

Major W

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

the "let's retake crimea" position was until relatively recently a weirdo fringe position. sure, it's our formal goal, but nobody really thinks that the people who live there want to go back to ukraine and honestly we're not that sad to see them gone, they were strange assholes anyway

once the war starts, however, the principle becomes ukrainian territorial sovereignty - so you sort of have to go for crimea as well. that means that when people ask, you have to answer that yes, we also mean crimea when we say "restore our borders". this means that people take you seriously, and builds a mainstream polity for what used to be a non-mainstream position. if zelensky accepted a peace deal without restoring the pre-2014 borders, he could and probably would be accused of treason by very strong elements within the military, police and clandestine services. that would effectviely mean a coup. nobody wants that, but it's a real risk if he started walking back the claim to crimea.
Lol he signed the presidential directive about it in 2019 though

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
nvm

Throatwarbler has issued a correction as of 04:58 on Nov 6, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

riveting Pyro airblast gameplay.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

even though this guy doesn't appear to get injured you might wanna unembed and spoiler it anyways since it's a video of a dude getting grenades dropped on him.

pretty lucky / good reflexes though, drat.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Nov 6, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

wow this guy is a survivor, completely calm under pressure

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

big whoop i've done that 100 times in Wolfenstein new order

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The trick is not to have your wireless noise cancelling IEMs in with rock playing at high volume. That way you can hear where the grenade lands. Probably.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Back in the 50s the US, hot off of WW2, was getting its rear end kicked by the starving war-torn pre-industrial post-colonial countries of China and Korea so I don't know what this is supposed to mean

Like, say what you will about post-Soviet Russia, but it was still in a far better state than post-WW2 China and Korea

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Back in the 50s the US, hot off of WW2, was getting its rear end kicked by the starving war-torn pre-industrial post-colonial countries of China and Korea so I don't know what this is supposed to mean

Picket fences, painted white. Small towns. Gingham dresses for the ladies. Loads of hair gel and slicked comb overs for the men. Suits 7 days a week unless wearing overalls.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

We can go back to the 50s, idgaf. Powerful people like me thrive in every age

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind either way. 50s, 90s, current or gently caress it, the 1300s. I'll make it work.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

speng31b posted:

ex cathedra right that's it

this is unrelated, but i knew a guy who got an official letter of excommunication from the bishop because he made microwave nachos with the communion wafers

As the Catholic Church becomes more and more dependent on Third World support, the war against microwave nachos will become a more and more important part of its catechism, and rightly so. Bing Liberation Theology for more info.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

wow so the post nuke future really is going to be beehive hairdos and power armor

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1589111159504146434

"making up weird territorial claims against other countries is generally pretty based" lmao

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

give me a kiss to build a dream on
and my imagination will thrive upon that kiss
putin, i ask no more than this
a kiss to build a dream on

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NieblaGuerra/status/1588909971965906944

good north korean train news

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

Cool, cool.

Can we reimplement the 1950s tax brackets, then? If I have to start digging a bomb shelter in my back yard, I at least want the satisfaction of knowing that some motherfuckers are being levied at 91%.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

speng31b posted:

I don't think they were consecrated but they made an exception because he was such an extreme dick about it

he warmed them up in the cafeteria microwave and pretended they were a new cafeteria menu item called jesus nachos

Alright speaking again ex cathedra by the power of my office to say, any cafeteria serving you microwaved nachos is of the Antichrist.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Quotey posted:

reddit is low hanging fruit but

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/ympz68/ukrainian_soldier_wearing_rhodesian_flag_and/

this guy is a rhodesian historian! also italian

might take him up on the offer.

e:

if anyone wants to learn about the fine state of rhodesia i guppose

e2: the comments were quite against him

Rhodesia nerds really are that very, very special type of fascist, like the kind of history nerds who fantasise about Germany getting its WW1 colonies back and ruling a joint White Supremacist world with the Brits. Always the same kind of people who will tell you that the Apartheid South African army was the only true inheritor of the Wehrmacht (not inaccurate of course, in terms of their political aims, still got beat by Angola and Cuba)

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Critical support for Robert Mugabe

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

We can go back to the 50s, idgaf. Powerful people like me thrive in every age

You might be alright, but you'd suffer from a dearth of worthy opponents; China was just coming out of decades of civil war and Japan was still recovering from being nuked. Very little fresh work was being done with developing technique. Honestly a Tang dynasty era Shaolin monk could probably dominate the period.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

speng31b posted:

"making up weird territorial claims against other countries is generally pretty based" lmao

Its a phrase that sounds like it could have come from a thread here

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

speng31b posted:

At the end of the day it was an uninhabited marginal arctic territory, America's claim was a facile as that of any other colonial empire of the period (loving Canada tried to tag it), so to claim as the WSJ piece did that there were was some actual population of "American settlers" who were forcibly relocated is nonsense, but of course the reason it was written that way was to create a fantastical claim that Lenin was genociding Americans in 1922, to once again go back to that well and cheapen all actually existing genocides for your cheap political points about grabbing arctic oil resources.

It makes me mad for the same reason people claim Russia has a moral responsibility to return some arbitrary amount of Kuril islands to Japan. Those islands were literally being settled by the Russian and Japanese empires of their time at the same time, and of course Japan had as much of an interest in the lives of the Ainu as did America in the West... But colonial claims become reified national projects the moment someone else claims them, and if you're on the right side of history, your side of the colonial drama will be that of righteousness bordering on indigenousness... Which is to say, the general way to launder colonialism.

Perhaps be asked about the status of the Ryukyu islands, because turns out, those were never part of Japan before the advent of imperialism either.

Ultimately Japan has less of a "historical" claim to the Ryukyu islands or Hokkaido than they do to Korea.

We laugh about how anime made Japan White, but in colonial terms, as a "legitimate claimant" of territory to oppose Russian claims, Japan has been pushed into Imperial Whiteness for a very long time...

To summaraize, Japan was designated White because they could server as a useful counterbalance to Russian imperial claims in the eastern Pacific

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Nov 6, 2022

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
The Wrangel Island saga is pretty shameful, but very American:

In 1924, the Soviet Union removed the American and 13 Inuit (one was born on the island) of this settlement aboard the Krasny Oktyabr (Red October). Wells subsequently died of pneumonia in Vladivostok during a diplomatic American-Soviet row about an American boundary marker on the Siberian coast, and so did an Inuit child. The others were deported from Vladivostok to the Chinese border post Suifenhe, but the Chinese government did not want to accept them as the American consul in Harbin told them the Inuit were not American citizens. Later, the American government came up with a statement that the Inuit were 'wards' of the United States, but that there were no funds for returning them. Eventually, the American Red Cross came up with $1600 for their return. They subsequently moved through Dalian, Kobe and Seattle (where another Inuit child drowned during the wait for the return trip to Alaska) back to Nome.[39]

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Rhodesia nerds are so funny because Rhodesia only became this sentimental portrait of a lost world decades after Zimbabwe was formed and the exiles had enough time to stew. The real Rhodesia was much more like an Agrarian Fort MacMurray or Norilsk. The majority of it's noble whites were economic migrants, who were entered the country to earn inflated wages for a few years and then hosed off to do something else. The wages were inflated because Rhodesia's segregated society was designed around simple exploitative principles, the government spent very little servicing the black population, while drawing on them as cheap labour for white-owned farms and industries.

That's it. The reality of the country and the conflict is actually just boring. Rhodesia fought an extended guerilla war and lost, and the death toll was like 20,000 people. In Angola, a country with roughly the same population, over 1 million died. But ofc the post-fascist schizos and hysteric liberals fixate on Rhodesia, precisely because it's leftover material from Soldier of War magazine rather than a conflict with more substance.

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 08:05 on Nov 6, 2022

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

speng31b posted:

I don't think they were consecrated but they made an exception because he was such an extreme dick about it

he warmed them up in the cafeteria microwave and pretended they were a new cafeteria menu item called jesus nachos

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

speng31b posted:

even though this guy doesn't appear to get injured you might wanna unembed and spoiler it anyways since it's a video of a dude getting grenades dropped on him.

pretty lucky / good reflexes though, drat.

it looks like he's already wounded, hence why he's not moving very quickly on the ground.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Like, there's this dumb little song on youtube from the Bush War that was evidently composed by soldiers. It's set the tune of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" but all the lyrics about how the drill sergeant yells alot and how there's a nice club in Bulawayo. It's exactly sort of song that yokels in the most extraneous portion of the British Empire would write, and all the comments underneath it are these 20-something idiots having religious experiences about the Rhodesian dream and how they could see themselves bush warring as they listen in 480p.

The one comment from a real deal Rhodesian is this totally grill-pilled boomer comment where the guy is like "nice song, reminds me of dirty tunes we'd sing barracks. didn't know anyone recorded this stuff!" The little manlings crowded around this guy and tried to ask him what rhodesia was like and where he is now, and the fella didn't respond.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

speng31b posted:

I mean he ain't wrong, "Dokdo is Serbia" is an important part of my personal ideology.

Try it out, pick a place at random on the map and claim it as belonging to another country, it's fun and harmless.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

January 6 Survivor posted:

Try it out, pick a place at random on the map and claim it as belonging to another country, it's fun and harmless.
West Philadelphia is Palestine.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Does the West Philadelphia Liberation Movement have snazzy art posters?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
ffs what is the context behind all these Bernie avatars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MLSM posted:

ffs what is the context behind all these Bernie avatars