Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TGLT posted:

Also the SH2 letter is real, or is at least based on a real one Mary wrote for James. You get to hear the rest of it in the epilogue and it's her farewell letter. While I remember there being stuff about people being drawn to Silent Hill, the letter wasn't created (specifically) to do that.

It's very subtle, but one of the things that stuck with me about SH2 is that after your fight with Eddie, the writing on the letter in your inventory quietly disappears. That letter is not real. James doesn't get it at all until the ending, when it says something entirely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Wanderer posted:

It's very subtle, but one of the things that stuck with me about SH2 is that after your fight with Eddie, the writing on the letter in your inventory quietly disappears. That letter is not real. James doesn't get it at all until the ending, when it says something entirely different.

It actually says the same stuff in the ending, you just get to read the full letter. While it's possible the letter at the start is in fact a counterfeit created by Silent Hill it's just as possible that it was always the full letter and James refuses to read past "Waiting for you..." in the same way he can't (or refuses to) acknowledge he killed Mary.

Really the best indication that the letter was copied by Silent Hill and sent to James is that it just disappears completely after the last Pyramid Head fight. But also by that point he's jumped down like sixty nine different holes to end up above where he started so physical reality's a bit tenuous.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 5, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the real answer is the town is punishing James for being circumcised

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

You have to reach out to the truth instead of accepting life in the fog. Huh, that wannabe pithy P4 reference is actually very fitting here, isn't it.

There are so many stories where the big moral is "Pursue Truth No Matter What" even when everybody, including our heroes, would be happier without it. The Truth is said to heal in our fiction, which is probably the biggest fiction of them all.

Nonsense, James is obviously happier knowing the truth than he is living how he was before his soujourn into the silent hills.

TGLT posted:

I think the point of the Maria ending is that James doesn't move on. (edit: Like he's basically just pointing at a woman and saying "you're Mary now," and trying to relive that relationship through Maria)
Quite, but think of it from Maria's view. She is not some woman who looks like Mary, she is Mary made remanifest. She's someone with actual emotions and behaviours whose only goal in life was to be a partner to James, but can only truly make him happy by letting herself be sacrificed to the memory of mary. A truly pitiable creature

TGLT posted:

Silent Hill is a cruel place that hates people. It's not trying to punish people for their sins, it just wants to hurt people and seeks out the most vulnerable people to hurt. Making life just so that it can suffer is well within its wheelhouse - that's basically Lisa in SH1.

This is clearly not true in either one or two. One it was a reflection of the inner pain and turmoil of Alessa brought into the "real" world. It does not torture Lisa because it wants to hurt her, but because of what she did to Alessa by helping to keep her alive. Her own guilt keeps her tied to the hospital just like the classical ghost.

For 2 it's clear that Silent Hill is almost a Shutter Island style extreme therapy session. Of the three who were drawn to it, each is allowed to find their own solace in confronting their demons. Eddie runs from his and jumps down Jame's hole, because his unwillingness to reckon with what he has done he is eventually killed.

The town doesn't torture people or drat them. It always offers you a path even if it's occluded, consider no matter how far James falls into the holes he always manages to find a way forward, or more obviously the well where he must physically chip away at the stone just as he has to mentally chip away at the guilt that's keeping him trapped.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I'm about to play Silent Hill 2 for the first time. Anything I should know before I start?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Run away as much as you can, maybe

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Run away as much as you can, maybe

Okay so it's more like RE1 than RE2? Meaning, ammo is gonna be super limited?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

Okay so it's more like RE1 than RE2? Meaning, ammo is gonna be super limited?

It's not so much that, because melee is a perfectly valid option in SH2, as that fighting doesn't really get you anywhere most of the time, especially outdoors.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

I'm about to play Silent Hill 2 for the first time. Anything I should know before I start?

Run from everything outside. If you're alert enough to see the ammo containers on the ground you'll have enough to kill everything in the dungeons. I had hundreds of pistol rounds and hundreds of shotgun shells at the end of Normal/Normal.

Write all the puzzles in a notebook, navigating to the memos section is a pain in the rear end

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Awesome, thanks guys!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Enjoy the music!

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I think I'm nearing the end of Signalis and it's one of those games I hate pieces of it, but think it will be in my top 5 games of the year.

Been poking at The Chant. Seems like an alright game, but the combat is poo poo. Gonna knock it down to easy and enjoy the story.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I'm going to nth just shooting everything in the interior locations. I think part of the reason I dislike the second major location in SH2, Brookhaven, from a mechanical standpoint is I tried to melee everything there and it's just so tedious.

Gaius Marius posted:

For 2 it's clear that Silent Hill is almost a Shutter Island style extreme therapy session. Of the three who were drawn to it, each is allowed to find their own solace in confronting their demons. Eddie runs from his and jumps down Jame's hole, because his unwillingness to reckon with what he has done he is eventually killed.

The town doesn't torture people or drat them. It always offers you a path even if it's occluded, consider no matter how far James falls into the holes he always manages to find a way forward, or more obviously the well where he must physically chip away at the stone just as he has to mentally chip away at the guilt that's keeping him trapped.

I do not think putting Angela in a room full of pistons emulating her sexual abuse while confronting her with a monstrous version of her dad who is also twisted to remind her of her sexual abuse counts as "extreme therapy" nor is intended to. Yes the characters can find a way to work through their trauma and move on from Silent Hill, but calling anything Silent Hill the entity does therapy is really stretching it. And the majority of the endings that the town is leading James to end poorly for him - he commits suicide, he restarts this cycle with Maria, or he's on the boat to go maybe revive his wife but the camera cuts with him still in the fog.

Like yes the story is about people working to resolve their trauma, but Silent Hill's behavior always felt best understood to me as that of a malicious stagehand in the narrative's psychodrama. It's a monstrous thing using their trauma to hurt them and to survive they must confront that trauma, but that they can survive doesn't mean the monster is benevolent or even neutral.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 6, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Playing Eternal Evil right now, it’s fun if janky. My big complaint is that the knife feels just slightly too stubby— I feel like it should have just a little longer reach for the animation that it does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TGLT posted:

I do not think putting Angela in a room full of pistons emulating her sexual abuse while confronting her with a monstrous version of her dad who is also twisted to remind her of her sexual abuse counts as "extreme therapy" nor is intended to.

again you're misunderstanding it. angela does not need to be "reminded" of her abuse. it's always at the forefront of her mind. it's the reason she came to silent hill to begin with, because she killed her father over it and chose to return home and kill her mother as well before committing suicide. the town does nothing but reflect the hell that's in her head

your idea that the town somehow created the letter that was sent to james (because i guess it's just so drat evil that it can project its evil powers into another zip code now) is also tied to that same incorrect assumption. the entire cast ended up in there by chance or choice, not coercion - james out of deluded contrition, angela out of self-destructive vengeance, and eddie because he was on the run and gave laura a ride

you basically played a totally different and far less interesting game because you can't get over the town as some wicked mastermind tying everything together

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

(because i guess it's just so drat evil that it can project its evil powers into another zip code now)

Isn't that most of SH4, which is notable as a very VERY partial continuation of 2?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Isn't that most of SH4, which is notable as a very VERY partial continuation of 2?

SH2 really stands as its own thing as to how the setting functions, though either way SH4's scenario doesn't apply since henry had a crucified dead guy in his apartment channeling Spooky Energies to open those passageways. probably not the case for the SH2 trio

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also maybe I'm misunderstanding here but it seems weird to treat the town as not being inherently malicious while also acknowledging that the town has chosen to create and murder a living person numerous times.

Plus the town was still dealing with cult poo poo even in SH2, it's why you can find the metatron symbol during the double pyramid head fight. Just some residual evil cult energy doing this imo.

I swear this same exact argument occurred in October too but with the opposite conclusion to the one being drawn here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Also maybe I'm misunderstanding here but it seems weird to treat the town as not being inherently malicious while also acknowledging that the town has chosen to create and murder a living person numerous times.

it repeatedly creates and murders a replica of james's wife because james murdered his wife. again, it doesn't contain anything besides what the visitors take with them. the malice there sprang from james himself, not "residual evil cult energy"

not only that, but the one doing the murdering is pyramid head, the violent representation of james's own frustrated masculinity frankensteined with his desire to be punished for what he's done. pyramid head trying to kill james even matches his own suicidal urges - he's literally being pursued and punished by a twisted representation of himself

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that Tormented Souls game worth playing? Wouldn't mind playing another classic survivor style horror game, but I played the demo a while back and was put off by how ridiculous the main character looks at the cranked up to 11 horniness. But if it actually fun I might give it a shot when it goes on sale.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

veni veni veni posted:

Is that Tormented Souls game worth playing? Wouldn't mind playing another classic survivor style horror game, but I played the demo a while back and was put off by how ridiculous the main character looks at the cranked up to 11 horniness. But if it actually fun I might give it a shot when it goes on sale.

It's fine and there's a secondary costume you start with that's way less horny, and outside of the start I haven't seen anything on that level. That said I did stop playing it because the ink ribbon saving meant I kept losing tons of progress because they are really sparse, they honestly should have just kept to the save rooms as rather only limitation.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

it repeatedly creates and murders a replica of james's wife because james murdered his wife. again, it doesn't contain anything besides what the visitors take with them. the malice there sprang from james himself, not "residual evil cult energy"

not only that, but the one doing the murdering is pyramid head, the violent representation of james's own frustrated masculinity frankensteined with his desire to be punished for what he's done. pyramid head trying to kill james even matches his own suicidal urges - he's literally being pursued and punished by a twisted representation of himself

Yeah, there's a major ingredient to SH2 that doesn't quite get as much attention as it deserves: for Laura, it's just a big empty town with a couple of dumb adults in it. She's in no danger and apparently never sees anything even remotely strange.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Silent Hill does not have a clear and consistent set of "rules" or "motivation" or standard, either as a pure reflection of the people "called" to it, or as an independently malicious force. The place isn't consistently depicted even within the plot of a given game. It's clear that the town reflects some part of some people's minds, and just about everything else about it is deliberately unclear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, there's a major ingredient to SH2 that doesn't quite get as much attention as it deserves: for Laura, it's just a big empty town with a couple of dumb adults in it. She's in no danger and apparently never sees anything even remotely strange.

in fairness to that bit, it's left pretty ambiguous whether laura is just another fabrication, because the one solid piece of evidence that she's from outside, mary's letter, never actually materializes except in voice-over. i wasn't 100% on it myself until i read that she's the reason eddie is in town (due to hitchhiking), hence their chumminess in the bowling alley

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Silent Hill 1 portrays the town as Kindergarten Cop while Silent Hill 4 portrays the town as The Frighteners

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

again you're misunderstanding it. angela does not need to be "reminded" of her abuse. it's always at the forefront of her mind. it's the reason she came to silent hill to begin with, because she killed her father over it and chose to return home and kill her mother as well before committing suicide. the town does nothing but reflect the hell that's in her head

your idea that the town somehow created the letter that was sent to james (because i guess it's just so drat evil that it can project its evil powers into another zip code now) is also tied to that same incorrect assumption. the entire cast ended up in there by chance or choice, not coercion - james out of deluded contrition, angela out of self-destructive vengeance, and eddie because he was on the run and gave laura a ride

you basically played a totally different and far less interesting game because you can't get over the town as some wicked mastermind tying everything together

No, obviously it uses the US postal service.

Look if you disagree with my reading that's fine, although I don't think it's "totally different and far less interesting", but you could at least actually read the things I posted. I did not say Laura "needed to be reminded", I cited the way her trauma gets used as a blunt sledgehammer as a reason I don't think anything about Silent Hill could be described as therapy (e: If it was unclear, the phrase "to remind her" wasn't meant to imply she refused to acknowledged her trauma but rather that Abstract Daddy is very overtly evocative of her abuse). Nor did I say the letter was sent by the town. Some one said it was implied to have never really existed, I said it either was real or was based on a real letter. And as I said before, I feel like the way the text of the letter changes throughout the game could be understood as James's refusal to read the parts of the letter that would hurt him (e: or prolly more correctly, his unwillingness to accept it).

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 6, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hel posted:

It's fine and there's a secondary costume you start with that's way less horny, and outside of the start I haven't seen anything on that level. That said I did stop playing it because the ink ribbon saving meant I kept losing tons of progress because they are really sparse, they honestly should have just kept to the save rooms as rather only limitation.

Yeah I really want to enjoy it but I missed the first save room and died with around an hour and a half of progress and didn't want to start fresh again. It's definitely challenging like original RE1 with save resources, ain't nobody got time for that these days

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I e never played a Silent Hill game out of maybe a hour or two of SH1 which was kinda boring and completed Shattered Memories on Wii. I'd like to get more into the series but can I skip 1 and go right into 2

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah absolutely. SH1 really only has plot relevance for SH3, and even then the important bits that matter get reiterated in SH3. You'll pick up on some stuff a bit faster in SH3 but nothing particularly integral to the plot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you thought SH1 was boring I doubt 2 is going to be much different

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Sweet thanks. Ps2 version of 2 the way to go?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

worms butthole guy posted:

Sweet thanks. Ps2 version of 2 the way to go?

PC version with the Enhanced Edition mod.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
PS2 or PC with the fan made Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition patch.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Silent Hill 1 is good, actually

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Crowetron posted:

Silent Hill 1 is good, actually

i believe it, it was impressive how it was essentially a open world game pre GTA. but it was jsut kinda meh on having to run back and forth or you waste all this time running down a street for there to be no way to cross

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I should give some context: few months ago I asked this thread for games that don't have the lurking enemy like Mr.X in RE2R because I hated that. I ended up beating RE2R (didn't do scenario B) and kinda enjoyed it, so i'm looking for the next thing to try out. Still hate enemies that stalk you

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So as Sakurazuka was (I think?) intimating, if you're primarily looking for combat (or bad combat is a deal breaker for you) then you might not find SH2 a noticeable improvement. I still think it'd be worth checking out to see if the game's overall tone or ideas resonate with you, they are substantially different from SH1. And although the combat is about as tedious as SH1, the overall design and flow of the locations is better and there's less time spent on the overworld sections. SH3 meanwhile does away with the exterior town stuff more or less completely.

Ultimately combat will always be a weakspot of the SH games.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 6, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Medullah posted:

Yeah I really want to enjoy it but I missed the first save room and died with around an hour and a half of progress and didn't want to start fresh again. It's definitely challenging like original RE1 with save resources, ain't nobody got time for that these days

I remember the limited saves ending up not being a big deal. It's mostly a puzzle game. If you remember the solutions, you can catch up to where you died quickly enough. I ended up beating the game with several saves left, but I tend to play those kind of games super safe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

I remember the limited saves ending up not being a big deal. It's mostly a puzzle game. If you remember the solutions, you can catch up to where you died quickly enough. I ended up beating the game with several saves left, but I tend to play those kind of games super safe.

I think what got me was that I usually try to conserve ammo and either run around enemies or melee them in survival horror and the first enemy I ran across killed me because I didn't even realize I was taking damage. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
does the chant get better? I'm like an hour into it and almost to the point where I'm bored enough to refund it. I rarely refund games but I can't really see this one getting better for 5 more hours