Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

AdGuard is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I use Wipr because it's fairly hands-off but it doesn't seem to be blocking YouTube ads anymore, at least not on the weird ancient/modern combination of OS and Safari I'm running.

Not a huge issue though because I don't watch enough YT for it to be annoying.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I use AdGuard too but it seems like Wipr might be just as good from all the responses here?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

Preview/quicklook in Ventura no longer supports PS/PDF files. RIP (heh) to a real one. However, you can still conevrt PS to PDF using /usr/bin/pstopdf.

whaaaat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, why on earth would they do that.

You're telling me macOS can't open Photoshop files natively anymore? And PDFs require Acrobat?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm guessing that just refers to Postscript PDFs

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, why on earth would they do that.

You're telling me macOS can't open Photoshop files natively anymore? And PDFs require Acrobat?

No, PS is not PSD (neither is EPS). It means that you can’t open up PostScript or Encapsulated PostScript files in preview or quicklook.

The reason they took postscript out of quicklook/preview is obvious (postscript interp is a gigantic security hole).

Since PStoPDF converts PostScript/EPS to PDF, you can still open your PS/EPS files, just after converting to PDF. Which people should be doing anyway, postscript as a working file format has been obsolete for 15 years and almost all actual interps in print workflows are converting it to PDF behind the scenes anyway.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm guessing that just refers to Postscript PDFs

No, it’s specifically .ps (raw postsscript) or .eps (encapsulated postscript). PDF is unaffected.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 27, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh. Well good, that is an important distinction

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I realize now that I wrote PDF and not EPS after PS. Whoops.

Yesterday was not my day. Multiple PEBCAKs. Sorry for the confusion.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 27, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

macOS Finder is one of those apps that I really miss when I'm forced into using Windows for any meaningful amount of time. It baffles me that Windows Explorer can't....

1) Show files in MB/GB instead of KB (seriously?)
2) Show folder sizes
3) Let you preview a file without opening it
4) Tabbed windows

It does look like Microsoft is currently previewing a new version of Explorer with tabs: https://pureinfotech.com/file-explorer-new-features-windows-11-22h2/

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The .zip situation is pretty dire as well. Also no selecting a series of files and making a directory for them. Let me keep thinking…

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's such a thing as fine-tuning the Finder experience so obsessively you never leave it alone version to version, like oh the last 20 years of the Mac, but I'll take it over just giving you the XP "here's some things that may or may not be folders with real paths to your home dir (wherever the gently caress that is) or just mystery shortcuts and might also be the unextracted contents of zip files or whatever, suck it morons" and then going on vacation for a decade and a half

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just click on the files and folders I want to access OP.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Gay Retard posted:

macOS Finder is one of those apps that I really miss when I'm forced into using Windows for any meaningful amount of time. It baffles me that Windows Explorer can't....

1) Show files in MB/GB instead of KB (seriously?)
2) Show folder sizes
4) Tabbed windows

It does look like Microsoft is currently previewing a new version of Explorer with tabs: https://pureinfotech.com/file-explorer-new-features-windows-11-22h2/

5) Show goddamn files and folders together in a list HOW IS THIS HARD WINDOWS

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Open Core Legacy Patcher has been updated to 0.5.1; you can now install Ventura on the Trash Cans (MacPro 6,1)

Dortania posted:

Partially resolve MacPro6,1 support

Allows for install and usage of 2013 Mac Pros on Ventura

Currently CPU Power Management is not supported

2008 - 2012 Mac Pros and other Non Metal GPU machines are still unsupported for Ventura but are being worked on.

I'm running OCLP 0.4.11 on a Mac 5,1 with Monterey without problem.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
While we’re on the subject, I have a follow-up question to something I asked about earlier. It seems that installing a new(er) version of macOS is doable even for amateurs. Is there any point though, except for wanting to use a new macOS, if your current version is still getting security updates? What I’m trying to say is: I am lazy, should I do it anyway?

Is the newer versions of macOS “safer” than older versions with security updates? I guess you also get some new features but I’m not sure if Apple has brought anything new lately that is a definitive must have (except maybe some things that require an Apple chip?) but I might be wrong.

Violator
May 15, 2003

This has actually come up recently and I saw this today:

Apple confirms older operating system patches aren't as comprehensive as latest updates
https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/10/27/apple-confirms-older-operating-system-patches-arent-as-comprehensive-as-latest-updates

quote:

Old Apple operating systems receive periodic updates to patch security vulnerabilities, but Apple says only the latest OS updates are fully protected.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

I realize now that I wrote PDF and not EPS after PS. Whoops.

Yesterday was not my day. Multiple PEBCAKs. Sorry for the confusion.

Hahah I cancelled a Ventura update on a machine here because I thought I wouldn't be able to preview PDFs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

There's a UWP called QuickLook or something similar that kinda works

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Resident Evil: Village now available for Apple Silicon Macs at the App Store!

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/resident-evil-village/id1640627334?mt=12

$40 bux, and you'll need about 27.4 GB of drive space to download it.

Quick preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY6ZmNYcJNY

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Having had a change to experiment with Stage Manager a bit now, I feel like either there's some of it I haven't figured out or it's a bit unfinished? Like, if I have a stage containing a few windows, how do I move another window into that stage? And if I'm dragging a window out of another stage, how do I control which of the several windows I grab?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just got a 4k monitor, though I usually scale it to 1440p. When I connected to one of my work machines using citrix, the text is just a tad blurred - not enough to prevent me from doing what I need to do, but still annoying. The only way I can get it to look clearer is to run my 4k monitor at.... well 4k, which is annoying as then I would need to switch back to 1440p when I want to use that machine.

It looks like this is only something that can be dealt with in windows, not mac?

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX230017/configuration-of-dpi-matching-and-clientside-scaling-with-citrix-workspace-app-for-windows

I found this but it doesn't seem to do anything from the terminal

quote:

defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas EnableHighDPI -bool YES

edit: in workspace, there is an "enable and match client DPI settings" which I selected. So workspace is at the right DPI, but the windows machine I connect to remotely is still just a tad blurred.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 31, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe my google fu is weak but is there a way to customize the touchbar when certain applications launch to have specific buttons?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
BetterTouchTool is what you want.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
So, is it officially the case that if one owns an i(pad)OS version of an app AND the same app has a MacOS version, one CANNOT download the iPad version on their Apple Silicon device?

I can see this behavior with both Paprika 3 and Jump Desktop (I own both for iOS and neither for MacOS). Has Apple ever explained their rationale for this?

Violator
May 15, 2003

bobfather posted:

So, is it officially the case that if one owns an i(pad)OS version of an app AND the same app has a MacOS version, one CANNOT download the iPad version on their Apple Silicon device?

I can see this behavior with both Paprika 3 and Jump Desktop (I own both for iOS and neither for MacOS). Has Apple ever explained their rationale for this?

I’m pretty sure developers have a setting in the App Store to disable the iOS versions from running on a Mac. Those particular developers must set that to make people buy the separate macOS versions.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Violator posted:

I’m pretty sure developers have a setting in the App Store to disable the iOS versions from running on a Mac. Those particular developers must set that to make people buy the separate macOS versions.

That makes sense, thanks. I think I read that it used to be possible to extract .ipa versions of i(pad)OS apps while jailbroken or by using iMazing and to then install the .ipa version on Apple Silicon, but apparently Apple did away with sideloading apps this way, even if the .ipas are correctly signed to your Apple account. Sad for users, but I guess $$ for everyone else!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wow, if you are a designer who uses Pantone colors in Adobe Creative Cloud, you now have to pay Pantone $15 a month for the privilege of using their colors.

If you don't, your Pantone colors get converted to black and you don't get to add the colors back in until you pay!

Apparently there's workarounds but LOL at the designers coming back from vacation who load up their project in PhotoShop CC and see everything turned to black!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Binary Badger posted:

Wow, if you are a designer who uses Pantone colors in Adobe Creative Cloud, you now have to pay Pantone $15 a month for the privilege of using their colors.

If you don't, your Pantone colors get converted to black and you don't get to add the colors back in until you pay!

Apparently there's workarounds but LOL at the designers coming back from vacation who load up their project in PhotoShop CC and see everything turned to black!

After watching this, I can't say Pantone charging a lot of money surprises me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marco Arment has announced that the Overcast web app is soon to be retired.
I'm not on an AS Mac so does anyone have any recommendations for a very light MacOS podcast app that isn't stock Podcast.app?
Thanks!

e: should note I'm subbed to some paid podcasts so a few of the web apps I've tried don't support this

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 1, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm not on an AS Mac so does anyone have any recommendations for a very light MacOS podcast app that isn't stock Podcast.app?
Thanks!

e: should note I'm subbed to some paid podcasts so a few of the web apps I've tried don't support this

Pocket Casts has a web player and a Mac app and recently went open source so hopefully that means no platform unsupported

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks!

e: missed the key "not" in there

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Having had a change to experiment with Stage Manager a bit now, I feel like either there's some of it I haven't figured out or it's a bit unfinished? Like, if I have a stage containing a few windows, how do I move another window into that stage? And if I'm dragging a window out of another stage, how do I control which of the several windows I grab?

Yeah I’m in the same boat here.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I tried stage manager for a bit but i immediately missed having my clutter (i call it "organized chaos") of windows in the background ready to be clicked at a moment's notice.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Say I want to put a headless Mac in my house and connect to it with another Mac...

When I use the built in mac screen sharing options, which use VNC code I believe, there is no way to get audio over the screen share.

Is there an easy way to screen at that same high quality AND get audio?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

Say I want to put a headless Mac in my house and connect to it with another Mac...

When I use the built in mac screen sharing options, which use VNC code I believe, there is no way to get audio over the screen share.

Parsec works on osx now, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Maybe Apple Remote Desktop?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I can’t believe Shortcuts doesn’t have a “show photos” action? I can find photos by any filtering I want but I can’t actually view those photos in the Photos app?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Last Chance posted:

I tried stage manager for a bit but i immediately missed having my clutter (i call it "organized chaos") of windows in the background ready to be clicked at a moment's notice.

i'm not sure what utility it offers on the mac versus spaces/virtual desktop/mission control/whatever the gently caress it's called now. i guess it's good if you're the kind of person who gets intimidated and lost when you have more than a couple of windows open, which constitutes a not inconsiderable portion of computer users tbf

i quite like spaces especially on laptops, although i kind of hate being shot over to another space when you accidentally click on an app that's open in a different space. feels viscerally unappealing somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Generic Monk posted:

i quite like spaces especially on laptops, although i kind of hate being shot over to another space when you accidentally click on an app that's open in a different space. feels viscerally unappealing somehow

Pretty sure there's a setting to turn that off