Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

post itt if you’re quarantined in The Happiest Place in Shanghai

https://www.twitter.com/WANIMAL912/status/1586965308530515968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Something that occurred to me last night while trick-or-treating with my kids - obviously since everything is now manufactured in China, do the makers of ghost and skeleton decorations there have to get special approval from the government? Is it hard to get workers there due to superstitions?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

sticksy posted:

Something that occurred to me last night while trick-or-treating with my kids - obviously since everything is now manufactured in China, do the makers of ghost and skeleton decorations there have to get special approval from the government? Is it hard to get workers there due to superstitions?

Skeletons show up all the time in mainland-made games. "sorry, we can't let you sell your game here due to... Er... Skeletons, yeah, sure, skeletons" is code for "you didn't bribe the right official enough", as far as I can tell.

Cheap chotskies probably don't have the same issue.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

LashLightning posted:

Skeletons show up all the time in mainland-made games. "sorry, we can't let you sell your game here due to... Er... Skeletons, yeah, sure, skeletons" is code for "you didn't bribe the right official enough", as far as I can tell.

Cheap chotskies probably don't have the same issue.

We have huge problems ordering books for the library, anything with a spooky word in the title gets blocked if we try to import it, but them we can just go on JD and buy it there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I have an unrelated question about China and potentially "inter-racial" marriages.

What is the general opinion on 'inter-provincial' marriages/relationships, and the kids that result from them?

I ask, because in my experience, if an Indian from say Karnartaka were to marry an Indian from say Bengal, (to name two states at random), to a certain type of traditional grandmother this is seen as scandalous/offensive as if they had married a foreigner.

So knowing that China is also less a unified country and more a union of disparate states each with it's own culture, and in some cases language), would there be the same scandal amongst your "traditional" families is someone from Sichuan married someone from Fuzhou, (again naming provinces at random)? How about if they married someone from Xinjiang or Tibet, which have even more pronounced cultural/racial differences, yet would still be considered "Chinese" by the state.

And how do these inter-provincial families deal with the Hukou? I.E. man from Chongqiing marries woman from Fujian, but them move to Guangzhou and have a baby girl. Where does her hukou officially think she is from?

Sorry for the silly question.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Isn’t India ridiculously ethnically diverse? Doesn’t that play into it?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrigadierSensible posted:

and the kids that result from them?

In my experience, good in a way that makes me uncomfortable for a reason I cant put my finger on. I probably mentioned it before, but there was this whole thing not too long ago with my cousin in law deciding to have a kid through IVF. She is from Henan but went to Shanghai for this, and decided that she wanted the kid to be half white because she just likes the way half-white kids look and this was the only easy way to do it, spent a bunch of extra money on getting a white guy's sperm, which is apparently a normal thing to do that costs extra. So I think that's gonna be a weird childhood for them in a place that's not really all that ethnically diverse.

We always get comments about if we had kids they'd be so amazing etc etc, which I think is normal for any white guy married to a Chinese woman here.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I have an unrelated question about China and potentially "inter-racial" marriages.

What is the general opinion on 'inter-provincial' marriages/relationships, and the kids that result from them?

I ask, because in my experience, if an Indian from say Karnartaka were to marry an Indian from say Bengal, (to name two states at random), to a certain type of traditional grandmother this is seen as scandalous/offensive as if they had married a foreigner.

So knowing that China is also less a unified country and more a union of disparate states each with it's own culture, and in some cases language), would there be the same scandal amongst your "traditional" families is someone from Sichuan married someone from Fuzhou, (again naming provinces at random)? How about if they married someone from Xinjiang or Tibet, which have even more pronounced cultural/racial differences, yet would still be considered "Chinese" by the state.

And how do these inter-provincial families deal with the Hukou? I.E. man from Chongqiing marries woman from Fujian, but them move to Guangzhou and have a baby girl. Where does her hukou officially think she is from?

Sorry for the silly question.

For the hukou, it’s specifically a household registration. It doesn’t matter where you were born physically; if your parents had a Beijing hukou so do you, and if they have a rural Henan hukou, tough poo poo, so do you. This is how it works even if you’re born in the US to chinese national parents. I assume it follows the father’s hukou if the mother has a different one somehow, but I don’t know that for sure, and I also don’t know how it works if you get married. There are ways to change it officially such as getting a degree from a top school, buying or in some cases renting an apartment, or getting certain jobs, but they’re all pretty unavailable to rural laborers.

Someone else will have to answer the racism in marriage markets question. What I gist is that Han is Han regardless of where you’re from and the urban-rural divide is what really matters, but I don’t know enough to say what the opinions are about Mongolians, Tibetans, etc. However I can at least say that Chinese people will tell you totally unprompted that Yunnanese and Guangxi women are more attractive than other Han women. They will tell you this is because of mixing in of Vietnamese (yuenan) ancestry. So I agree with Braindance that there’s, uh, some weird poo poo going on under the surface there.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Depends on the specific provinces, and the specific families.

Each province has a bunch of general reputations/stereotypes, and depending on which each family believes, and what their opinion is of them, opinions on a match can vary hugely.
For the most part, though, this stuff is overridden by stuff like urban/rural, wealth level, education level, etc.

Exceptions:

If a family has hukou and houses in one of the major cities, that's always considered a plus.

If a family belongs to one of the minority groups, they quite often don't like their children marrying outside it.

Shanghai people typically disdain non-shanghai people.

It is the national hobby to be shockingly prejudiced against Henan people. Sometimes even in Henan.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Atopian posted:

Shanghai people typically disdain non-shanghai people.

My father (himself Taiwanese) was chatting to a taxi driver in Shanghai and had the following conversation:

"So I heard that Shanghainese women are pretty high-maintenance, is that true?"

"Oh, yes, yes, they want their husbands to own an apartment downtown, have a good car, buy expensive jewelry, all that stuff."

"Then have you ever thought about marrying someone from out of town?"

"Oh God no. My friend did that, married some girl from the sticks somewhere (ed: I don't remember the exact province), and when they had a baby the baby just crapped all over the floor and when my friend complained his wife said "It's just poo poo, just clean it up is all!""

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I've heard Sichuan women are gorgeous.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The stereotypes about women I hear haven’t really changed in 20 years and tend to be:

Yunnan: exotic ethnic minority beauties looking for Han husbands, possibly witches

Sichuan: fierce-tempered women with good figures

Jiangnan region (HZ/SZ): classically beautiful

NE China: tall, leggy women who are basically bros and will drink you under the table slamming baijiu shots

Taiwan: sweet girl next doors

Shanghai: high maintenance mercenary types who would rather cry in the back of a limo than laugh on the back of your bike

HK: snobbish princesses

For dudes the ones I’m aware of are:

Shandong: smart nerdy boys

Shanghai: civilised, well dressed, bit effeminate

NE China: Russian mafia but chinese

Guangdong: hustlers

Beijing: social climbers

Henan: oh god no.

HK: nice boys but dominated by their snobbish princess girlfriends

(To this day I have no idea what the problem is supposed to be with Henan people)

E: I used to have this book 水煮商人 that was purportedly a guide to doing business with people from other provinces but was actually just a list of stereotypes that would have made a 19th century race scientist go “steady on, that’s a bit reductive.”

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 2, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yunnan: exotic ethnic minority beauties looking for Han husbands, possibly witches

Is this considered a downside?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Obviously my true calling in life was to marry a girl from Northeast China.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Beefeater1980 posted:

(To this day I have no idea what the problem is supposed to be with Henan people)

They rule too hard, every Henan guy I know who fits the Henan stereotype is just out there living his best life not giving a gently caress.

It's all bullshit anyway, all those different stereotypes are in every part of China but people go and ignore the 99 "just normal Chinese dude" guys, then they see the one guy who fits the Henan guy stereotype and it's all "Get the manhole covers inside! Lock the doors!"

But I've been all over and I've seen "Henan guy" in every province and every city I've been in.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i wonder if those vids, pre tiktok days, of girls publicly berating or beating their partner/boyfriend/simp for like not getting them the latest iphone or some dumb poo poo are still floating around

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Booty Pageant posted:

i wonder if those vids, pre tiktok days, of girls publicly berating or beating their partner/boyfriend/simp for like not getting them the latest iphone or some dumb poo poo are still floating around

Floating around and being made anew, if the wechat video groups I am in are any guide.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The Lone Badger posted:

Is this considered a downside?

Only if you ever plan on leaving them, in which case the ancestral poisons they have been feeding you for breakfast for the last decade will kill you when you don’t get the antidote in your evening meal

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That reminds me of the movie Audition, please watch it if you want to enjoy a lovely day!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

jiayou zhengzhou trust the government blahblahblah (don't copy and paste write in your own words)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Atlas Hugged posted:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hell, same.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i dated a girl from shanghai (when i was living in shanghai) for a while and she was nice and not stereotypically high maintenance (had a much better job than i did, really) but she didn't want to leave china and i couldn't stay there anymore without losing my mind

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
To be fair, my wife did introduce me to the retired tile layer who lives next to her mom's grocery store and I slam baijiu with him whenever we're visiting her family.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zarin posted:

Hell, same.

I did it. Some of the stereotypes are true. Mainly the tall, drinking, and temper.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAxHh-mb2Q

Some poo poo started to go down in my community cuz we've been locked down for a while, my videos kinda lovely cuz I wasn't about to go get up in everyone's business as the white guy but some other people were taking other videos that got posted in our community group. There were some other, similar situations in other communities around the city, some were a lot more intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XpF3lS2HU

I haven't been as against covid zero as other people (you don't control covid and tons of people will die, but the arguments always comes down to people acting like there's nothing else besides pretending nothings wrong like Western countries, or going all out like China, and I don't know.) but this does legitimately suck. I'm fine, I don't care I'll sit here rewatching game of thrones and stuff for however long they want me to I got all these dried beans and potatoes and I still get paid but my inlaws are farmers. Not big time farmers, just farmers with a small plot. They cant sell their produce to Zhengzhou cuz of the lock downs and, so, they've only been able to sell stuff at 1/4 the price. That's not hyperbole or a guess that's actually what its come down to, stuff that was 4rmb before they can only sell for 1rmb now roughly, on average.

And that's at a loss, they're getting hosed over right now. And the governments just like "well too bad." They heard from the government once, when those people from Foxconn were walking back someone from the city (Kaifeng) called them to say under no circumstances is their daughter allowed to come back since shes living here in a locked down area.

The hotlines they have to ostensibly help seem kinda unusable to me at least too. Went through the whole thing to try to get a prescription because there's no way to actually go to the hospital and we kept getting sent to a hotline. We tried for 3 days and it was busy/no answer the whole time. Got lucky though and called a pharmacist who wasn't locked down who drove over and tossed it over our gate lol. But I was thinking the whole time "this isn't even a prescription for anything serious what if I had some heart problem or something else where it was a matter of life or death."

I dunno, people are pissed off and it kinda sucks.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Yeah, a lot of stuff is going to poo poo recently.
Similar view on covid zero - a good idea on account of all the potential death otherwise - but the execution has been really off recently.

Not personally, since the worst I had was a week in my apartment from a close encounter at work, but a whole bunch of people are being hit with problems that don't have solutions.

Note, not problems that *can't* be solved - they just *aren't* being.
Unfortunate, because it's going to build popular sentiment to say "gently caress it", and then the death.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Have there been any statements on what the long term goals of the lockdowns are? Like I get zero-covid in the short run but is there a major vaccine program or something back all this up?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

As you'll learn from the GBS covid thread, vaccines only mitigate the harm and so you have to practice zero covid and avoid all public events for several decades until case numbers are low enough you can just squash outbreaks as they appear.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The junk collector posted:

Have there been any statements on what the long term goals of the lockdowns are? Like I get zero-covid in the short run but is there a major vaccine program or something back all this up?

No. This is just the way it is for the foreseeable future. No indication that zero covid is going away or being reformed into something less stupid, no sign of better/more widespread vaccination.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They just approved Pfizer’s vaccine for foreigners. I don’t think it’ll be long before their approve it for the wider population. They also have a China-brand mRNA vaccine that’s being widely used in other countries. It’s no Pfizer or Moderna but I think it’ll be decent.

Once they get all this poo poo in place and given that the CCP committee meeting is finally over, I think they’ll open up in a very gradual way.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Vegetable posted:

They just approved Pfizer’s vaccine for foreigners. I don’t think it’ll be long before their approve it for the wider population. They also have a China-brand mRNA vaccine that’s being widely used in other countries. It’s no Pfizer or Moderna but I think it’ll be decent.

Once they get all this poo poo in place and given that the CCP committee meeting is finally over, I think they’ll open up in a very gradual way.

The issue never was that Sinovac isn’t effective enough, but instead that people, especially older people, don’t want to take it. I have no idea what the solution to that is. Mix it in with some TCM and re-market it?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

eSports Chaebol posted:

Mix it in with some TCM and re-market it?

RHINO ANTIVIRUS

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Correct me if I am wrong, but, depending on the city, aren't the lockdown enforcement and decisions left to the local governments? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to some of the decisions for locking down, and even the "soft" lockdowns (single apartment buildings or city blocks) are haphazardly done by throwing out random red codes based on GPS data or phone pings on anyone who came through the area. I can just imagine that city officials wanting to boost their careers have to juggle the "it's bad to have more covid cases" and "it's good that we took so many 'precautions.'"

Vegetable posted:

given that the CCP committee meeting is finally over, I think they’ll open up in a very gradual way.
People have been saying/wishing/hoping this for years, but the pandemic is still going on and shows no sign of ending. I am on the side of the doubtful, thinking that China's still years away from making things easier for its people. In my personal China circle, the only people I've heard that are sure about China opening sooner than later are foreigners in China because their companies keep promising them they'll get to go home soon, etc. Most of my Chinese friends are flipping the gently caress out at lost wages and opportunities due to lockdowns (in a tier-1city).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PITY BONER posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but, depending on the city, aren't the lockdown enforcement and decisions left to the local governments?

Yep. Most things in China are local or, at best, province level decisions. The central government makes a decree like COVID Must Be Contained At All Costs and it's left up to local officials to carry it out. Which is part of why everything is so wildly inconsistent in China. Like even the great firewall is, from what I understand, a province-level thing so a VPN blocked in Sichuan may work in Guangxi or whatever.

This is why you talk to two people living in different parts of China and they have such divergent experiences. One person in a weird 1984 nightmare and the other says everything is fine and normal. That guy may be a party bootlicker but also may be telling the truth, it might be completely fine where he is.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no such thing as a nation larger than about japan that doesnt work that way

alabamas a hellhole, manhattan is not. yakutsk is a hellhole, st. petersberg is not. etc.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

alabamas a hellhole, manhattan is not. yakutsk is a hellhole, st. petersberg is not. etc.

japan is huge. like top ten population, #3 gdp. there are only a handful of nations which are larger

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hypnophant posted:

japan is huge. like top ten population, #3 gdp. there are only a handful of nations which are larger
Right but it’s geographically small and culturally / ethnically homogeneous.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

There is a real difference with explicitly federal systems like the U.S. and Germany even if it’s less than it once was. Also China is the opposite of the U.S. where the poor people absolutely want the central government black helicopter NWO troopers to come in and override the local government to fix things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What's it like being LGBTQ+ in China? I'm sure I could Google it but I'd rather have a good opinion as i can't be sure what isn't influenced by one party or another