Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Roblo posted:

I doubt that now. He's fast becoming a laughing stock.

The episode titles have already leaked for the new season, and one of them is called Zap gets cancelled , among other topical stuff that could get bad, so they might do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

explosivo posted:

I work for a credit card processor that works closely with one of Musk's companies and this is becoming a realer sounding scenario every day. The CEO loving loves Musk too of course so I'm sure he'd happily sell to him.

Could he really buy them though? Isn’t the market cap of Mastercard and the others like 300 billion each?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mal-3 posted:

I have an academic interest in it (How in the hell did this man manage to cultivate a rep as a far-seeing philosopher king supergenius when he is so loving bad at communication?) but not enough to click through.

he has a lot of money op, hth

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If anyone was curious like me:

Top row, from left: Kevin Systrom Instagram, Elon Musk Tesla Motors, SpaceX, Steven Levy Backchannel, Elizabeth Holmes Theranos, Maria Shriver NBC News, James Murdoch 21st Century Fox, Jessica Lessin The Information
Bottom row, from left: Mark Zuckerberg Facebook, Michael Abrash Oculus VR, Lena Dunham Girls, Jonathan Ive Apple, J. J. Abrams Bad Robot Productions, Brian Grazer Imagine Entertainment

Lots of stories in that list of names since the photo was taken.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

tech guru lena dunham

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Captain Beans posted:

Could he really buy them though? Isn’t the market cap of Mastercard and the others like 300 billion each?

Credit processors != providers; the company I work for facilitates payments with mastercard/visa/etc for restaurants, online businesses and such. It would still cost him a lot of money but nowhere near the cost of buying a credit card company outright.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

gently caress this loving rear end in a top hat. Seriously, gently caress the rear end in a top hat who made that loving tweet.

This should have been a surprise to everyone, especially Elon, when poo poo hit the fan. Now Twitter might have a chance to fix it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

priznat posted:

Man I really hope musk doesn’t show up on the revived futurama as a head in a jar (he definitely will)

bobjr posted:

The episode titles have already leaked for the new season, and one of them is called Zap gets cancelled , among other topical stuff that could get bad, so they might do it

Oh great, I love Futurama but it was sort of a mercy to keep getting it cut short so it didn't have the chance to do a full turnaround and make me hate it like the Simpsons. What a threat to find this out in, thanks Elon

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Doctor Butts posted:

gently caress this loving rear end in a top hat. Seriously, gently caress the rear end in a top hat who made that loving tweet.

This should have been a surprise to everyone, especially Elon, when poo poo hit the fan. Now Twitter might have a chance to fix it.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" - Napoleon Bonerparty

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sentiments about The 'lon are pretty much exclusively pecunio-centric. I did just portmanteau this word into existence, yes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

That DICK! posted:

tech guru lethal oversharer lena dunham

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

kazil posted:

he has a lot of money op, hth

There's plenty of rich techbro failsons out there who don't have the same reputation, though. Zuckerberg's just as poo poo at talking to people as Musk and he constantly gets poo poo on as a malfunctioning robot or a lizardman who's disguise is slipping.

I just... I don't get it. Why is this guy who can't get through his own tame press events without stumbling awkwardly like a terrified kid in the middle of their first school play treated like he's the modern Aristotle?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i work for a relative large company and let me just say..

about ~3 years ago I noticed one of the intermediate certs for our the main domain was going to expire within 6 months. based on how i understood the policies.. whoever was in charge of renewing them was suppose to do it before 6 months.

so i started writing up an email asking if these certs were going to be updated... except i had no idea who to send this email to. if your answer is, "IT duh" the issue with that is our company had local IT teams that handle IT for that site and there is a group of generic IT people who are contracted out to deal with tech issues like, "my email password expired". none of these people would probably know who to talk to to address this.

i asked my manager, and he took it up the chain and the response i got back was, "they're working on it" which is definitely not reassuring. keep in mind this is one of those, "if this domain is inaccessible or has that click through page we will be losing upwards of millions of dollars per hour" if it did not get fixed. a month out from expiration i got word it was being "fixed" and finally like two weeks before it was set to expire someone finally updated it.

-----

basically what i'm saying is firing half your work force with an expiring certificate in two months... you better hope you didn't fire the guy whose job it is to renew those certs. because even if someone random software developer sees it... they may not know who to alert to get it fixed

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Is anyone on this plane a cert doctor?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I would bet an entire paycheck that Musk knows dick all about renewing website security certificates, or indeed anything about websites beyond "click link to go to it"

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Libra posted:

With all these impostors with blue checkmarks suddenly appearing, I think the real Elon should have to post his weird dick. It's the only way to prove his identity and put a stop to the trolls.
It's a p good verification method. Dicks are like fingerprints.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Xlorp posted:

I know a ton about Certs, as in the mint, that was apparently discontinued in 2018!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Then you're CERTainly the right person for the job!
:dadjoke:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Did someone post Jack Dorsey simping for musk?

"It wasn't Elon musk's fault for being an idiot and laying all you off, it was my fault for hiring too many people!"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/heyrobp/status/1589035301242277888

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That changelog sounds like Musk wrote it himself

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Doctor Butts posted:

idk our company had 1 guy quit and nobody knew how to get our code signing certificate updated. I work for a huge corporation, not a small business

I imagine the knowledge loss that twitter just incurred is unimaginable to the point of being irreparable.

At least I hope

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

It was probably just c&p from an email he sent out

nexous posted:

idk our company had 1 guy quit and nobody knew how to get our code signing certificate updated. I work for a huge corporation, not a small business

I imagine the knowledge loss that twitter just incurred is unimaginable to the point of being irreparable.

At least I hope

He likely just thinks it's all automated and will roll right on over. Assuming he even knows about it or what it is, which is not an assumption I'd be willing to make

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tiny Timbs posted:

he almost assuredly did

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

advertisers very mad that the previous twitter c-suite wasn't making ads relevant. thanks elon!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Xlorp posted:

:smith: I'm sorry, it only has a month or so to live.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I didn’t even know twitter had ads because I only ever see twitter through embeds

Oh no I fear elon just got an idea

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

nexous posted:

I didn’t even know twitter had ads because I only ever see twitter through embeds

From your lips to his hairplugs

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

first review you see in the app store for twitter

ty elon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“I do agree about his mouth comments”

Did a lizard person write that?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Strong Sauce posted:

ty elon.

Lol, oh my god

:911::patriot::911:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Have we seen a verified @realJoeBiden posting some heinous poo poo yet?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Mal-3 posted:

There's plenty of rich techbro failsons out there who don't have the same reputation, though. Zuckerberg's just as poo poo at talking to people as Musk and he constantly gets poo poo on as a malfunctioning robot or a lizardman who's disguise is slipping.

I just... I don't get it. Why is this guy who can't get through his own tame press events without stumbling awkwardly like a terrified kid in the middle of their first school play treated like he's the modern Aristotle?

Very effective PR positioning him as the next great thing which dovetailed nicely with a tech press that treated just about everything with literal childlike wonder and zero critical thinking.

A lot of CEO and entrepreneur worship with a shitload of startup money going around in the 2000’s and 2010’s just vomited out as if it was real press or news really poisoned an entire generation into thinking Tony Stark was real and great

The big difference is that Elmo was treated with kid gloves pretty much nonstop while everyone else started getting the critical lens because that initial PR push was so strong

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 6, 2022

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Very effective PR positioning him as the next great thing which dovetailed nicely with a tech press that treated just about everything with literal childlike wonder and zero critical thinking.

A lot of CEO and entrepreneur worship with a shitload of startup money going around in the 2000’s and 2010’s just vomited out as if it was real press or news really poisoned an entire generation into thinking Tony Stark was real and great

I actually wonder how much the timing played a role there. The first Iron Man movie came out right around the time ol' Muskie was having his first solo fame with Tesla, and it really feels like the movie did a lot to bring the 'rogueish-but-charming billionaire genius inventor' trope into/back into the mainstream.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
From the point of view of someone who isn’t in the technology world, all they’ve seen of Musk is the equivalent of those magazine covers from Iron Man where Tony Stark looks cool as gently caress. That was all intentional.

They didn’t hear about the constant gently caress ups of the company (often without Musk’s name attached) since and many don’t care. It’s a lot easier to mock zuckerberg’s sunscreen covered face and weird video about BBQ sauce than it is to explain why anyone should care about widespread sexual harassment and the X% chance a Tesla might explode as it smashes into a small child of color.

This Twitter story is Elmo’s first major public gently caress up in a way normies might see it in a loud way, if they don’t subscribe too hard to the GOP’s latest culture war.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I think SomethingAwful is the internet's best peanut gallery.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Strong Sauce posted:

ty elon.

Ah, the promise of the internet realized, an educated and well informed electorate

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

nexous posted:

I've kinda been expecting a sudden change in how embeds work, like requiring a click through to see them or something. Who knows if he's even aware of the tweet embedding API though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was listening to the Opening Arguments podcast this morning and they were talking about how bad musk has tanked tesla’s stock to buy a lovely vastly overpriced company that he won’t be able to make the debt payments on and it is just amazing to have all the incredible fuckups laid out so succinctly.

Tesla stock is down more than 30% and almost surely there will be a big shareholder lawsuit to address musk’s dumbfuckery. It’s almost a completely own goal fuckup.

Oh and on top of all that they figure musk has probably shaved about $100billion off his net worth, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Waffle House posted:

I think SomethingAwful is the internet's best peanut gallery.

:emptyquote: