Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

the entirety of university of california graduate student workers have voted to authorize a strike. student researchers got recognized last year and had no contract, grad teachers are under uaw and had their contract run out on halloween. union ask is 54k from 34k, university offered 7% this year (lol) and 3% after. if its anything like the uc santa cruz wildcat, the ucs are going to be lunatics about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

vyelkin posted:

yeah it's really atrocious, the unions so far are basically ignoring it and hoping that a big enough labour action will force the government back to the table and probably make them retroactively waive fines like that, but technically speaking the way Canadian law works if the government wants to just enforce the law as they passed it with the massive fines or firing all the striking workers or beating their heads in with police clubs there's nothing stopping them, which means we may be entering a new era of labour militancy where the unions have to pay less attention to what the law permits them to do and more attention to what they can actually extract by force of withholding labour whether currently considered legal or not. At this point it's either that or capitulate completely to anti-union provincial leaders who smell blood in the water

It's an open-and-shut repeat of Bill 115 and will end the exact same way (Doug Ford crucified in court, ideally humiliated out of politics forever, banished to a dungheap in Sarnia).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bleu posted:

It's an open-and-shut repeat of Bill 115 and will end the exact same way (Doug Ford crucified in court, ideally humiliated out of politics forever, banished to a dungheap in Sarnia).

they lost the court case over Bill 115 because the court found that it violated the constitutional right to collective bargaining.

The new bill invokes the notwithstanding clause so that that constitutional right doesn't apply.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ScarecrowIntel posted:

I was a union worker for many years. I was a steward, chief steward, served on multiple committees including the bargaining committee and bargaining 2 contracts, and served on the executive board for three terms. I watched a strong national union slowly degrade and become a business. I bought into 100% of it. Unity. Solidarity. I bled red.

When union leadership says "the membership are the union" it is an absolute lie. The union leaders at the top have no issue taking your money but are stingy when it comes to spending it on things that do not include a trip for them, extra pay, milage reimbursement, and meals. If the case is not lock down win forget about arbitration.

Education is the key to improving your life and earning more money. Unions are dying and will continue to die. Union leaders live by greed which is what they are allegedly fighting. And don't think there aren't backroom deals. "We want to terminate Joe. Don't push grievances hard on his termination and we will drop our investigation against Sara" Or from the union side "Give us MLK day off with pay and we will drop our NLRB charges based on your manager punishing union members and letting everyone else do the own thing" So much wrong quid pro quo.

I started a union job with a college education. My mistake was staying there. I work a non-union job now and make much more money, great benefits, and zero drama in the workplace. No more "Us vs Them" mentality,

Get an education in a needed field if you want a better life. A NEEDED FIELD. Not what you like. Unless you can make a business that makes money from your hobbies you need an education in a field in demand. For the majority of the world the things we like to do are hobbies. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy your work but you may not love it. And thats perfectly OK! That why we have hobbies!

There will always be those who have much more and much less than everyone else. Its been that way since the beginning of time. It will always be that way. Union jobs, as a whole, have more people with stress related issues and out on FMLA. Its common sense you are not going to live large working at McDonald or Starbucks. Those jobs are for college kids and teenagers not for supporting yourself and a family.

I am not trying to sound cold or cold hearted but some people seem to think they are worth more than they are and have no real education. And these same people, many times, have bad credit and extreme debt. And typically it is not medical bills. Get an education and live responsibly and you will have everything you need and most of what you want!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mods...... good?!?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

vyelkin posted:

for anybody in the US who hasn't seen it, there's a new front in anti-union warfare in Canada: the government of Ontario has passed legislation that overrules the constitutionally-protected right to strike to force a dogshit contract on already-severely-underpaid unionized education workers. This has never been done before and a whole lot of the province's unions are declaring sympathy strikes and other labour actions to try and oppose it. I haven't seen any numbers on it yet because it's all happened over the last few days, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's Canada's biggest coordinated labour action in decades. We'll see if it works, the government was reelected with a majority earlier this year and much of their base are rabidly anti-union so they may not think they have much to lose politically from taking as hard a line as possible against striking workers

i hope it works comrade, sympathy strikes are beautiful. with enough unions, its possible to shut a place down entirely, just nothing doing in any field until they cede

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was at the picket line today and there were people out from at least 5 different unions. It's a good start at least.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
hope this happens

https://twitter.com/fuckyouiquit/status/1588292311405895680

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
gonna go to the local bank wearing sunglasses and a trenchcoat and quietly slip the teller a note (with a link to some good unionization resources)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

some sort of fish posted:

the entirety of university of california graduate student workers have voted to authorize a strike. student researchers got recognized last year and had no contract, grad teachers are under uaw and had their contract run out on halloween. union ask is 54k from 34k, university offered 7% this year (lol) and 3% after. if its anything like the uc santa cruz wildcat, the ucs are going to be lunatics about this.

the strike begins november 14

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

the strike begins november 14

yep. itll be an interesting time for sure. looking forward to yelling on the picket line again (the wildcat at ucsc would have been way more successful if it wasn't for covid)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll believe a UAW higher Ed strike when I see it, they have threatened these kinds of actions a lot and then leadership calls it off at the last second

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
nuked from orbit

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1589262933393305601

well, better luck next time

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

In Training posted:

I'll believe a UAW higher Ed strike when I see it, they have threatened these kinds of actions a lot and then leadership calls it off at the last second

The uc folks seem a lot more militant than others

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tom Smykowski posted:

The uc folks seem a lot more militant than others

Here's hoping! It would be amazing to see, especially if this is happening alongside rail struggles

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ooofffff that’s a brutal result

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Amazon failed before it succeeded too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Amazon failed before it succeeded too.
well it has still failures after one succeeded too. but yes. that's life, there's going to be more failures than wins. that's okay.

that is a brutal result though, like not even "well maybe a little bit more work and organizing would have pushed it over the line"-level. organizers can learn from it though and hopefully the next one will go better; however, i think there's still evidence material conditions still have a lot more to fall before people start seriously looking at collective action on a wider scale.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Xaris posted:

well it has still failures after one succeeded too. but yes. that's life, there's going to be more failures than wins. that's okay.

that is a brutal result though, like not even "well maybe a little bit more work and organizing would have pushed it over the line"-level. organizers can learn from it though and hopefully the next one will go better; however, i think there's still evidence material conditions still have a lot more to fall before people start seriously looking at collective action on a wider scale.

it was an attempt at a new indie union so this seems like a case where they… needed the guidance of an experienced union

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

kingcobweb posted:

it was an attempt at a new indie union so this seems like a case where they… needed the guidance of an experienced union
that's true too. not sure why they were trying to start a new one?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

that's true too. not sure why they were trying to start a new one?

its an important question, especially for the existing unions to reflect on. The biggest organizational drive in 50 years was an independent union, which is going to color action for the foreseeable future. business unionism is waning as a strategy, as conditions worsen the idea of concessionary 6 year contracts bottom lined by antidemocratic bureaucracies just won't be inspiring for people. Independent unions might be seen as inherently more militant or radical than the AFL-CIO affiliates. It's not inherently true, but it's a more blank slate structure for radical memebrs of the working class to push for collective action that's fairly distinct than the unions their parents and friends are members of.

It has its shortcomings, mainly a lack of resources and experience, but that experience will be born from coming struggles and I would probably, at this point, put more faith in someone who has fought and met with mixed results in the independent space than like. A Yale grad legal staffer who has "negotiated" dozens of contracts arm-in-arm with management.

No easy answers but independent unions aren't going away anytime soon, and poo poo, there's echoes of this from US history as smaller industrial unions in the 1910s and 20s had to fight for a couple decades to find a path distinct from conservative company & trade unions.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

its an important question, especially for the existing unions to reflect on. The biggest organizational drive in 50 years was an independent union, which is going to color action for the foreseeable future. business unionism is waning as a strategy, as conditions worsen the idea of concessionary 6 year contracts bottom lined by antidemocratic bureaucracies just won't be inspiring for people. Independent unions might be seen as inherently more militant or radical than the AFL-CIO affiliates. It's not inherently true, but it's a more blank slate structure for radical memebrs of the working class to push for collective action that's fairly distinct than the unions their parents and friends are members of.

It has its shortcomings, mainly a lack of resources and experience, but that experience will be born from coming struggles and I would probably, at this point, put more faith in someone who has fought and met with mixed results in the independent space than like. A Yale grad legal staffer who has "negotiated" dozens of contracts arm-in-arm with management.

No easy answers but independent unions aren't going away anytime soon, and poo poo, there's echoes of this from US history as smaller industrial unions in the 1910s and 20s had to fight for a couple decades to find a path distinct from conservative company & trade unions.

yale grad negotiator-types don't come into the picture until long after the election, it's a completely separate team than the organizing department. in my case, i was (and still am) working with an organizer who's been doing external organizing for like 20 years.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ScarecrowIntel posted:

lmao

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
While all that is true, it is also the case that established unions have limited resources and can't help every group that approaches them. A lot of the time those resources are allocated ahead of time by leadership, and if you aren't in one of their priority areas then they don't want you.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
it's difficult to paint in broad strokes about new, independent unions, because there will be both people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing, and people who know enough to know how to run an indie union. it's like if someone says on Kickstarter that they're a small team making a new game with a built-from-scratch game engine.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Konstantin posted:

While all that is true, it is also the case that established unions have limited resources and can't help every group that approaches them. A lot of the time those resources are allocated ahead of time by leadership, and if you aren't in one of their priority areas then they don't want you.

i think if you're larger than ~12 people and actively looking for someone to represent you, you're going to find a union to do it. i can't think of a workplace where there's no national union that would want to represent them. CWA is representing ski patrollers now!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i'm gonna start working full-time for my AFSCME council after next week. excited to work with the like +1,000 folks in my local alone.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

i think if you're larger than ~12 people and actively looking for someone to represent you, you're going to find a union to do it. i can't think of a workplace where there's no national union that would want to represent them. CWA is representing ski patrollers now!

CWA seems to have a surprisingly large footprint. My non-profit-servicing computer toucher job is under CWA as well as workers at America's Test Kitchen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

yale grad negotiator-types don't come into the picture until long after the election, it's a completely separate team than the organizing department. in my case, i was (and still am) working with an organizer who's been doing external organizing for like 20 years.

its different in different unions. in my area I know that those people are present from day 1 and actively undermine militancy if it appears. You're right that nothing can be painted in broad strokes, but it's a reality that has probably influenced people in some capacity that may explain why independent unions are cropping up more frequently lately (although is this a new trend? Would be curious to know how common it's been in the last 20-odd years)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

its different in different unions. in my area I know that those people are present from day 1 and actively undermine militancy if it appears. You're right that nothing can be painted in broad strokes, but it's a reality that has probably influenced people in some capacity that may explain why independent unions are cropping up more frequently lately (although is this a new trend? Would be curious to know how common it's been in the last 20-odd years)

unless there's some big ones i'm forgetting, it seems less of a "trend" and more that ALU won the one really big election.

if someone came to me and asked me about whether they should go indie or stick with a big established union, i'd tell them it depends on how much employer resistance they expect. if you're making one at Elliott Bay Books in seattle, who's gonna voluntarily recognize the union for sure, yeah indie makes sense. if you try to start a new indie union at Wal-Mart without massive backing from established unions i think you've lost your mind.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

unless there's some big ones i'm forgetting, it seems less of a "trend" and more that ALU won the one really big election.

if someone came to me and asked me about whether they should go indie or stick with a big established union, i'd tell them it depends on how much employer resistance they expect. if you're making one at Elliott Bay Books in seattle, who's gonna voluntarily recognize the union for sure, yeah indie makes sense. if you try to start a new indie union at Wal-Mart without massive backing from established unions i think you've lost your mind.

the trend im thinking of is some of recent losses, like home Depot and trader Joe's that have been independent attempts. Time will tell on ALU too, I wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately affiliated with like, the teamsters or some of the other established unions that are actively trying to organize amazon workplaces in different US regions.

And def, no strategy is ever universally applicable, helpful for workers to know exactly what different routes entail and what kind of work it means for people in the long term. When we were going through the unionizatjon process at my job we didn't even consider independent, but we did talk about like, would it be possible to forcibly turn our workplace into a coop? Still not even sure if that happens, would be curious to see if it could be done

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
most pro-union president blah blah blah

https://twitter.com/TeamsterRnF/status/1589270802926796801

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pinned tweet:
https://twitter.com/SecMartyWalsh/status/1560663121823313922

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
"oh of course we're pro-union! of course we support your right to strike! as long as your strike isn't effective. a strike being effective is illegal."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://twitter.com/EclecticHams/status/1589281938530967552#m

this is what the law gets you

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

He...is watching how everyone is responding to the CUPE situation in Canada, right? Or is that why he's doing this: he/big business is starting to get nervous and they're trying to kill the rail strikes before the growing union movement before it grows more powerful?

Either way seems like a good way to make the union more likely to strike.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Afaik some unions are actually big fans of Biden, it's one of the few areas he's actually ok on. I always read this as a sign of how toothless the unions have been. Which is to say, Biden was fine with the unions because they couldn't really threaten him.

So this development feels like someone is very scared.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they strike. Would be inspirational to everyone in the US

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Afaik some unions are actually big fans of Biden, it's one of the few areas he's actually ok on. I always read this as a sign of how toothless the unions have been. Which is to say, Biden was fine with the unions because they couldn't really threaten him.

So this development feels like someone is very scared.

Correct. the democrats are friends of labor as long as labor doesn’t actually demand anything that would impact the stock buybacks from democrat donors.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
unions only have so many resources. if you want deeply trained and committed union organizers who can support your organizing for 2-3 years and also your contract negotiations for the next 1-2 years and then also support shop floor actions foreverever then you don't want a union that's promising those things to every tom dick and harry that's unhappy at work

e: i think i phrased this as a morality check of right or wrong, but i don't mean it's bad or foolish for everyone to want and seek union support. it's more like a material constraint. imo of course unions would love to support everyone. but it's simply not realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

unions only have so many resources. if you want deeply trained and committed union organizers who can support your organizing for 2-3 years and also your contract negotiations for the next 1-2 years and then also support shop floor actions foreverever then you don't want a union that's promising those things to every tom dick and harry that's unhappy at work

e: i think i phrased this as a morality check of right or wrong, but i don't mean it's bad or foolish for everyone to want and seek union support. it's more like a material constraint. imo of course unions would love to support everyone. but it's simply not realistic.

this is why CWA will take on anyone, they’re sitting on an enormous bankroll