Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Diplomat posted:

I've never played, but I'm looking to start. After doing some minor research it appears that the starter sets offered by the big manufacturers seem to be a great value. However I was reading in some places to largely avoid base plastic discs as they fly worse? I see that starter sets with a more premium plastic are available. Would going the premium route allow me to 'grow into' thos discs? Is that preferable? Does it even matter as a complete novice? I don't mind paying a little extra for a 'nicer/better' set of discs. Any advice is welcome.

It doesnt matter imo. If you bought harder plastic, they will hold their consistency longer. Otherwise buy what you think looks cool.

My personal two cents would be to get a set of putters and mids (6 speed and lower) or just throw those, because beginners tend to throw drivers in big hooks that dont go very far and get frustrated. If they’d disc down they’d enjoy straighter throws. Bonus points because later in the game, you use drivers less and less off the tee depending on your local courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My personal experience leads me to 2 answers:

Option 1:

The starter set is fine, and is the most cost effective way to see if you like what this is all about. You might outgrow it very quickly and start fine tuning your discs, but that is part of the fun. You will learn what you need or want to try next. The end.

option 2:

On the flip side, if you already think you are going to stick with it, you could get better discs and plastic. I can almost guarantee you that whichever starter discs you decide on, they will be replaced in short order. It is also very likely that you buy the wrong discs and have a bad experience because you are trying to throw a 13 speed. Don't buy a 13 speed 175g disc.

My recommended "starter set" would be a cryztal buzzz, a base plastic putter (aviar, roach, judge, etc), and a 168g teebird or leopard in star or gstar. Factory Seconds are great.

Some people say you shouldn't touch a driver for a while, but I think you should see what they do and immediately find out how wrong your form is.

I am not an expert. I started about a year ago. Others probably have better advice. Get a Buzzz they make the game fun and approachable.

headcase fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 15, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Base plastic is as good or even better than premium plastic out of the box. Base plastic wears faster which some people like and others dislike. When a disc wears it changes flight paths. This can be useful and top pros will generally have many copies of the same disc in different wear states to give them slightly different flights.

Personally I recommend base plastic for starting out. Having discs that slowly change over time helps build an understanding of disc stability and shot shapes (imo). I personally throw base plastic for putters and then premium plastic for drivers. The reason being, I throw drivers really hard into trees and roads and so being more durable is more of an advantage.

Starter packs kick rear end because the discs are generally the manufacturers highest utility discs and they're pretty heavily discounted, about 25 bucks gets you 3 discs, which is about the price of 1 super-premium disc.

Overall though, you can't go wrong. Get some friends, hit the course and throw whatever you got really hard it will be a good time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait I forgot to shill for innova here is what you do, get yourself a factory 2nd star animal $7, a factory 2nd gstar teebird for $10, and a factory 2nd champion mako3 for $6, and then use this coupon to get a free champion mamba factory 2nd:

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-animal-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/gstar-teebird-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-mako3-factory-second/

That's a all premium plastic starter set for $23 with only moderate cosmetic defects.

https://twitter.com/InnovaProShop/status/1580950337879302145

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
To the guy wanting starter set advice, do the Innova F2 thing Salt Fish said, and get a Leopard, a Mako3, and an Aviar in Star plastic.

Played my first ever event tonight: a MVP Space Ace Race. A glow hex and glow pilot were provided and the only discs allowed. It was SO much fun! My friend hit an ace and I brushed the chains twice. So close…next time.

Btw, if you’re wanting to get glow plastic, this MVP glow is no joke. It held very visible luminescence for drat near 20 minutes.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NickRoweFillea posted:

To the guy wanting starter set advice, do the Innova F2 thing Salt Fish said, and get a Leopard, a Mako3, and an Aviar in Star plastic.

Played my first ever event tonight: a MVP Space Ace Race. A glow hex and glow pilot were provided and the only discs allowed. It was SO much fun! My friend hit an ace and I brushed the chains twice. So close…next time.

Btw, if you’re wanting to get glow plastic, this MVP glow is no joke. It held very visible luminescence for drat near 20 minutes.

I’m doing a Space Race in a month and I hope my UV flashlight from AliExpress is here in time. I’m very excited to go play it, I’ve never played a glow round before.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My friend handed me a fully charged MVP glow disc and it was blindingly bright. The UV flashlight thing as well was extremely cool. Way better than taping a fishing lure LED to your disc like back in the day.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Fully charged, it was drat near too bright to throw in the dark of the woods. I wound up tracing shapes in it with the UV light. A star, a smiley face, a “A” for ace, a crescent moon, etc. lol

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

That's awesome to hear the space race was fun, I'm registered for one later this month and cant wait! For those that can't make one, some TOs are willing to ship the disc to those who can't attend if you're willing to pay for shipping.

I set up my own glow round last night for the first time. Just a simple setup at the local nine hole course, walked it backwards setting lights up first. I used dollar lights from Harbor Freight on top of each baskets which worked out perfectly. Their cheap UV flashlight worked out okay with my Glo ESP Buzzz from OTB Discs also. Having to recharge it every few holes is a bummer but I can't wait to get my hands on a couple Eclipse 2.0 discs to see what all the hype is about.

It's pretty drat cool seeing a glowing saucer fly through a dark forest and land softly on the fairway.

links for those curious:
https://mvpcircuitevents.com/
https://www.harborfreight.com/144-lumen-ultra-bright-led-portable-worklightflashlight-63878.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/uv-blacklight-flashlight-63931.html
https://otbdiscs.com/product/glo-esp-buzzz-otb-space-stamp/

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A good buddy of mine took a small Left Hand single shoulder disc bag, lined it with a reflective interior padding, and got a little battery powered UV tape light attached inside. It's fuckin great.

We played a 6 person glow rounds for our local League on Thursday and not a single one of us got a double bogey, and all of us ended in the money :krad:

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.

Diplomat posted:

I've never played, but I'm looking to start. After doing some minor research it appears that the starter sets offered by the big manufacturers seem to be a great value. However I was reading in some places to largely avoid base plastic discs as they fly worse? I see that starter sets with a more premium plastic are available. Would going the premium route allow me to 'grow into' thos discs? Is that preferable? Does it even matter as a complete novice? I don't mind paying a little extra for a 'nicer/better' set of discs. Any advice is welcome.

You are very likely to lose several discs early in your career to water or tall grass, get some cheap ones to start. Base plastic discs have less "fade" as they slow down compared to the same model in more durable plastics and most beginners struggle with too much fade. Start with a starter set and by the time you wear them out you'll have a better idea of what you should spend money on. If you want a shiny expensive disc right now, the Discraft Buzzz is a safe choice and if you don't like it you can just trade it to another disc golfer.

DO NOT BUY 80 DIFFERENT DISCS TO START, LEARN THE ONES YOU HAVE FIRST. “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, etc”

I'm going to start asking people at my Space Race if they have stairs in their house at this rate.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks for all the help everyone. Factory seconds was an awesome way to build my starter set, I wasn't aware of them previously. I grabbed six discs (what was recommended here) and a new Buzzz from Amazon. Also the free disc from the promo, so 8 in total. Looking forward to getting out on the course as soon as they arrive.

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 17, 2022

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

Wait I forgot to shill for innova here is what you do, get yourself a factory 2nd star animal $7, a factory 2nd gstar teebird for $10, and a factory 2nd champion mako3 for $6, and then use this coupon to get a free champion mamba factory 2nd:

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-animal-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/gstar-teebird-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-mako3-factory-second/

That's a all premium plastic starter set for $23 with only moderate cosmetic defects.

https://twitter.com/InnovaProShop/status/1580950337879302145

This is an incredible deal and that starter set is perfect. the mako, mamba and tee bird are used by most people I play with every time we play.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Played my first round yesterday. Used the Buzzz off the tee and my Aviar for most other shots. Although I may as well just used the putter for every shot as I throw them both the same distance. Didn't really keep score but I'd say I was 2-3 over par on each hole.

The park I went to has two 18 hole courses, and one of them was full of serious players (I assume, saw a couple rolling bags) practicing for some event this weekend. Luckily I didn't inconvenience anyone as the other course was empty and I had it to myself. Overall I had fun. I'm going to find an open field this week to practice throwing before heading to a proper course again.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yo I finally got a pair of star vikings. I had heard about this disc when it came out and I ignored it because the marketing was "a straighter more stable valkyrie", and basically the valkyrie was already perfect so why bother.

First, the star plastic on these is excellent, its swirly, shiny, just premium as all hell. I've been a big fan of star and especially gstar; I think its flatly better than champion, but everyone knows it looks bad, champion plastic looks so much better, but these vikings are super nice. They remind me a lot of the quality swirly L64 plastic, not lucid, the other one.

I went and threw these things and I'm hooked. They're so straight and so torque resistant. They're straighter than straight teebirds, and the harder you throw them the straighter they go. It's like instead of anhyzering they just stretch out and go farther. The disc it reminds me of the most is a aviar as weird as that is. You just throw it as hard as you want and it goes completely straight and has a teeny tiny hyzer right at the end. I was getting them out to 360-390 so it might end up making my bag between teebirds and destroyers.

Speaking of the bag:

Fierce, 2x aviar, zone
Roc, Wasp
Leopard, teebird, teebird3
2x Firebird
tern, 2x destroyer, boss

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

quote:

Fierce, 2x aviar, zone
Roc, Wasp
Leopard, teebird, teebird3
2x Firebird
tern, 2x destroyer, boss

Are you forehand-dominant? Because I am, and our bags are quite similar (although I bag several TLs and Thunderbirds)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I throw ambidextrous backhand, so my bag skews overstable. I've never thrown a TL or a thunderbird but I've only heard good things about them, especially forehand.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Disc Golf: full of serious players (I assume, saw a couple rolling bags)

Is this too long for a thread title

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Been playing for about a year and finally threw an even round. Bought myself a G2 as a present to replace my big bag. Realizing that I usually only throw 4 or 5 discs when I play, the G2 made sense.

Fierce, Mako, Crave and Virus make up 90% of my throws. Pretty stoked to see some real progress quickly. Very unlike real golf which I’ve been playing for 15 years and am still dogshit at.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How is that discraft prototype putter plastic holding up? I have a fierce in that plastic and I loved the feel and flight but it was getting chewed up just from regular putting. Although it fairness one course here has really sharp edges on the catchers.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

How is that discraft prototype putter plastic holding up? I have a fierce in that plastic and I loved the feel and flight but it was getting chewed up just from regular putting. Although it fairness one course here has really sharp edges on the catchers.

It’s not good. I’d love a fierce in Westside BT Soft and I’ll probably go back to the swan in a bit, the fierce just feels better in the hand. I’d be stoked if all discs were that Westside soft plastic, it’s perfect.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Interesting topic of discussion: which plastics do y’all prefer? I know a lot of manufacturers share plastic blends, but I’m not entirely sure what all the connections are.

I love Innova Star and TSA Aura. Grippy and durable.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah I like the shiny rubberized stuff. I guess the only problem with it is sometimes you lose a sizeable chunk if you hit metal or the right tree.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Im no Discmania fanboy but their meta plastic is pretty fantastic. I had a meta Origin that just absolutely :discourse: and was my only ace disc. Until it treedirected into a foul creek…

All TSA plastics are great (as is all MVP plastic). The only major brand that I have issues with is Discraft, some of their stuff doesn’t last for the price.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I wouldn't write home about any discraft plastic except for the metal Z flex stuff. I got a zone in that plastic and it is so nice.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

the majority of my drivers and mids is Z/Champ-like plastic. i like the feeling and clearness.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In fairness - the bar is so unbelievably high for plastic. Take Z plastic for example. It's pretty unremarkable in my mind, its premium, durable, sorta okay grip, very usable plastic. But I have a Z wasp that I use heavily in the woods and its been in my bag for more than a decade. It's still as stable as the day I bought it, barely a scratch on it. Pretty incredible stuff in a vacuum. But there are plastics that have all of those features and look cooler or are gummy, or super tacky etc.

You could almost flip the question and ask what plastic is actually bad plastic. I think my least favorite right now is kc pro. It's very usable (obviously) but the technology has moved on I think. I still putt with kc-aviars, but mostly because I already have a stack of them and deep down I know I'm missing because I don't practice enough.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Salt Fish posted:

I wouldn't write home about any discraft plastic except for the metal Z flex stuff. I got a zone in that plastic and it is so nice.

That reminds me. My color shift Zone is an amazing disc and the plastic is perfect.

Unrelated but everyone should bag an AGL Baobab :piaa:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Aperture Priority posted:

Unrelated but everyone should bag an AGL Baobab :piaa:

Fun disc from a great family-owned company, and their plastic is 100% recycled. My soft woodland Baobab is great when I can't risk a roll away.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~

Muir posted:

Fun disc from a great family-owned company, and their plastic is 100% recycled. My soft woodland Baobab is great when I can't risk a roll away.

I stopped by their shop the last time I played DeLa. Super nice guy, gave us a couple free discs to try out.

Played a Baobab only tournament a month or two ago. Stupid but extremely fun. It’s amazing how far those things will roll with just a flick.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bad plastic….hmmm Vikings plastic all feels terrible to me?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I somehow lost that transparent brown and black fierce in a leaf pile. drat, maybe they make a camouflage one I can replace it with.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Thinking of getting into Streamline discs

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

The Stabilizer is a fantastic stable putter, I bag one even while bagging like 2 harps because it goes a bit straighter and with the neutron plastic it skips and slides like a champ.

On the topic of bad plastic, the Putter line from Discraft is really pissing me off. It feels fine, sure, but no 2 roaches I bought in it feel the same and they are stupidly hard to find. Like seriously I might have to switch putters because mine are chewed to bits from practice and I can't find more to cycle in.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

joethesurly posted:

The Stabilizer is a fantastic stable putter, I bag one even while bagging like 2 harps because it goes a bit straighter and with the neutron plastic it skips and slides like a champ.

On the topic of bad plastic, the Putter line from Discraft is really pissing me off. It feels fine, sure, but no 2 roaches I bought in it feel the same and they are stupidly hard to find. Like seriously I might have to switch putters because mine are chewed to bits from practice and I can't find more to cycle in.

Can confirm stabilizer rules. Good approach disc.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I found an unmarked nova today... worth a try?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

I really like the Drift and Lift a little less. Pilot is also really popular. They have good plastic (MVP) and were cheaper than most discs last time I bought one.

headcase posted:

I found an unmarked nova today... worth a try?

It's good for getting good - you got to throw it real smooth for it to go straight and smooth.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Never thought I would love throwing a lobster so much. I've been needing that smooth finesse midrange next to my trusty buzzz and it just feels great in the hand.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I played my first rated round today. Shot even to place in the top third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

headcase posted:

I played my first rated round today. Shot even to place in the top third.

Shooting even sounds pro to me, awesome job!