Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

christmas boots posted:

Just convince de beers they can turn the captured carbon into diamonds or some poo poo idk
De Beers has no problems getting huge supplies of diamonds. They would probably buy up the rights though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
fake diamonds are so much cooler than ones dug from the Earth imo

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey so whatever happened to the greys or aitee or whatever dumb alien stuff was a meme a few months ago

Did the LGMs solve capitalism for us yet or are we still caught in the great filter

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there's no such thing as aliens as far as humanity is concerned

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/WangLutongMFA/status/1587465020266643456

This seems good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mameluke posted:

Hey so whatever happened to the greys or aitee or whatever dumb alien stuff was a meme a few months ago

Did the LGMs solve capitalism for us yet or are we still caught in the great filter

I'm always dubious about that kind of stuff because it always come out when it's revealed the US government did something bad. I think one of the big problems we have with finding aliens is that we go out looking for life exactly like ours.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

aliens don't exist

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Aliens definitely exist but they're boring.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah. Can't wait for these guys to land on the moon

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

we're going to see that and try to shoot someone up and kill another school teacher

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

we're going to see that and try to shoot someone up and kill another school teacher

Oh yeah the American reaction to no longer dominating space is going to be a tantrum for the ages, just absolute mountains of poo poo, guaranteed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

-Salvador Ramos

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Guess carbon capture is the wrong type of techno-solution after all, for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJslrTT-Yhc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

they just have to get more efficient!!!! you're impeding technological progress

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

thanks this was a nice succinct video

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've been saying for years that the solution is domes. Domes for all

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Incredible, your mom also thinks the same thing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmfao, just learned that a decent chunk of all the stuff we launch into space is powered by ex soviet technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-180

quote:

During the early 1990s, General Dynamics Space Systems Division (later purchased by Lockheed Martin) acquired the rights to use the RD-180 in the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV) and the Atlas program. As these programs were conceived to support United States Government launches, as well as commercial launches, it was also arranged for the RD-180 to be co-produced by Pratt & Whitney. However, all production to date has taken place in Russia. The engine is currently sold by a joint venture between the Russian developer and producer of the engine NPO Energomash and Pratt & Whitney, called RD Amross.

The RD-180 was first deployed on the Atlas IIA-R vehicle, which was the Atlas IIA vehicle with the Russian (hence the R) engine replacing the previous main engine. This vehicle was later renamed the Atlas III. An additional development program was undertaken to certify the engine for use on the modular Common Core Booster primary stage of the Atlas V rocket.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The main reason why humans have any spaceflight ability at all is because of communists, the main factor driving further spaceflight development in the west is once again primarily fear of ascendant communism and a lack of new markets for western capital to exploit.

I love that the us chose to prop up what was left of Russia's space program in the 90s in order to exploit Soviet technology and stop their rocket scientists from loving off to China and in the end it made no difference lmao

What a fuckin time to be alive

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Hatebag posted:

How about algae? I think that could work pretty well for carbon capture. I think you'd need to construct a vertical structure so that you could have layers of algae + water in a stack in transparent containers in order to make it really effective. Maybe at a big enough scale it could also serve as a water battery for a solar power plant too.

It's my guess for the best scalable tech but I'd think you would want to just pump air through the water and put it on some lovely land so you could make it really big. Just a lake sized carbon capture plant.

I read about an interesting technology using cupric oxide as a catalyst doing something similar to what you describe though in an artificial leaf.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tighclops posted:

The main reason why humans have any spaceflight ability at all is because of communists

it's Nazis actually, to be fair

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Weka posted:

It's my guess for the best scalable tech but I'd think you would want to just pump air through the water and put it on some lovely land so you could make it really big. Just a lake sized carbon capture plant.

I read about an interesting technology using cupric oxide as a catalyst doing something similar to what you describe though in an artificial leaf.

A lake sized algae ditch isn't a bad idea. i think my idea for having it be stacked containers is that you need to remove the algae periodically so that more algae can grow, so you could have staggered algae growth cycles in each bucket and remove the grown algae, and having the trains stacked vertically would allow it to also be a water battery. Also, some algaes produce useful compounds including oils, so those could be harvested as byproducts. But you could also do that with baffles and gates with a lake.
The artificial leaf thing (https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/858192) seems neat, but it requires a stream of co2 to produce methanol. That could be part of a co2 scrubber for a fossil plant, though, just slap a series of those bad boys on the side and turn some portion of co2 in the stack into methanol. I guess the low tech version of that is just running the exhaust gas into a greenhouse full of tomatoes because tomatoes produce crazy yields at higher co2 levels. I remember reading about a trash burning power plant concept where they wanted to use the trash fire exhaust to grow tomatoes and then i think smush the trash fire tomatoes up and feed them to tilapia and then grind up the tilapia to use as fertilizer or some poo poo.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think you're still over complicating it. Just drag a net back and forth with a couple of winches on rails. Start at one end and finish at the other, when you're done the algae has regrown at the start.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The problem is surface area. If you wanna make a passive co2 absorber on a terraforming scale there's no real way to do it without releasing a whole lotta co2 in the process unless you do one of those crazy civilian nuclear weapons scheme like people came up with in the 50s to make a huge artificial caldera the size of the Mediterranean sea or something. I think at the scale you'd need to do it for it to be useful you probably wouldn't need to remove the algae at all, though.
I guess one way to do it would be to turn a coastal desert into an artificial sea using nuclear weapons. Yes! It's the king solomon solution to western sahara! Nuke it into an algae canal! Then we'll find the true mother!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tighclops posted:

I love that the us chose to prop up what was left of Russia's space program in the 90s in order to exploit Soviet technology and stop their rocket scientists from loving off to China and in the end it made no difference lmao

What a fuckin time to be alive

I hope China goes to the moon and shows everyone that america faked the moon landing.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

I hope China goes to the moon and shows everyone that america faked the moon landing.

you could do this with a flyby with a decent telescope, the studio lot where they filmed it is still there in a crater on the far side

the problem is nobody alive knows exactly which crater

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dustcat posted:

you could do this with a flyby with a decent telescope, the studio lot where they filmed it is still there in a crater on the far side

the problem is nobody alive knows exactly which crater

it's always fascinating to me that poo poo like this is just... forgotten. like it's nasa. it's the Moon. it was a 10+ year crash rocketry program designed to foster national pride and advance military technology. you ferried tons of rocks from another planetary body 300k kilometers across multiple trips.

nobody writes down the coordinates for the crater?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

indigi posted:

it's always fascinating to me that poo poo like this is just... forgotten. like it's nasa. it's the Moon. it was a 10+ year crash rocketry program designed to foster national pride and advance military technology. you ferried tons of rocks from another planetary body 300k kilometers across multiple trips.

nobody writes down the coordinates for the crater?

the aliens moved it as a troll

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
space is good kuz somewhere out there tali and liara are waiting to become my gfs

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Smythe posted:

space is good kuz somewhere out there tali and liara are waiting to become my gfs

going to split you into two identical copies using a star trek style transporter accident until one self develops a series of personality defects culminating in a tragic death, and leaving your other self a broken shell unable to function and always contemplating the nature of his own mortality

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

speng31b posted:

going to split you into two identical copies using a star trek style transporter accident until one self develops a series of personality defects culminating in a tragic death, and leaving your other self a broken shell unable to function and always contemplating the nature of his own mortality

please don’t be mean to me I’m going to cry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
very devious and diabolical though well done

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Weka posted:

there have been attempts to use algae to produce biofuels but none of them proved economical. not sure if they could ever get positive EROI from it either. those technologies used either an open ditch sort of deal, or large clear tubes full of water. exxon invested in it i think up to the 2000s.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk why us didn't blow up the moon after their fake landing so nobody could beat their record

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

The real problem with bigass algae farms, besides all the ones the stop it from happening in the real world, is that it just adds ever so slightly more buffering capacity for atmospheric CO2. Same as planting a forest, any CO2 absorbed is still in the carbon cycle until you actually sequester it. That can't happen under capitalism because you can't make people pay you for making the world less bad, so you gotta find some way to sell, uh, a buttload of algae. Maybe there's some side products to be had but they'd have to be awfully valuable to support everything else.

I could see a future for them producing biodiesel or w/e for applications that just can't get away from petroleum, but imho the biggest gain from doing something like that would be feeding agricultural runoff through the algae ponds so downstream river deltas stop being anoxic death zones. Oops my spill dike collapsed and now the Mississippi has an anoxic flood of algae scouring everything living downstream and covering the shores in biodiesel

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

moving carbon through the cycle while harnessing solar energy on the way would be a net gain. but for now it remains a waste of time.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i collect soviet space-themed lapel pins. you're welcome for advancing the thread's discourse.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Post them.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

i collect soviet space-themed lapel pins. you're welcome for advancing the thread's discourse.

I do too! Please post them, I will take some pictures of mine later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Most of them aren't organized and theres a few that aren't actually space-themed but were in batches with space stuff that I bought so that's why you'll see one that's about hot air balloons, for example, but by far most are space-related

two of this batch due to the hologram

If any of them are too hard to see and you want me to get another picture of them, let me know and I'll get a better pic.