Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

drat, and I thought Forbidden West went pretty deep in accessibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Glad they brought over my personal two favorites from TLOU2: Auto-pickup and turning QTEs into button holds. I prefer just having my character Hoover up all the little items, health drops, etc. instead of standing there repeatedly pressing the “pick-up” button and the novelty of QTEs wore off for me after I my first play through of RE4 17 years ago. Also, while controllers should be built to take punishment, I’d still rather not subject them to unneeded rapid button mashing and control stick swirling.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Can i make kratos crawl on his belly at .1 mph for invincible mode or is that level of genius tedium a naughty dog exclusive

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Real hurthling! posted:

Can i make kratos crawl on his belly at .1 mph for invincible mode or is that level of genius tedium a naughty dog exclusive

It's an accessibility feature? Why use it and then complain about it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

It's an accessibility feature? Why use it and then complain about it?

Why not let me be invincible without belly crawling?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Search your feelings you know im right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I assume the line of reasoning was that they probably didn't want to remove the entire gameplay experience from people using it. The way it is now, you have to at least make a decision to go prone to turn it on.

Also TLOU2 has a lot of enemies that just one-hit kill you if they touch you, so that'd be a pain to work around for a full invincibility mode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

infraboy posted:

Reinstalled GoW to get myself a little prepped for Ragnarok, man it's been a while and i'm trying to relearn all the controls. I think I beat 2-3 of the Valkyries then gave up after the harder ones wrecked me hard. Also wasn't a huge fan of some of the late game content like Nilfheim.

Niflheim was ok for me but yeah kind of a chore. Give me turbo Muscleheim in Ragnarok that was fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know AAA releases are on the horizon but please get Ghost Song if you're in a metroid mood, it was 9 years in development and turned out excellently and needs as much recognition as it can get. and that soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNsLsf3X7_I

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Oxxidation posted:

i know AAA releases are on the horizon but please get Ghost Song if you're in a metroid mood, it was 9 years in development and turned out excellently and needs as much recognition as it can get. and that soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNsLsf3X7_I

Thank you so much, I needed something to distract me till Tuesday but this actually looks fantastic from the store trailer.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Pulcinella posted:

Glad they brought over my personal two favorites from TLOU2: Auto-pickup and turning QTEs into button holds. I prefer just having my character Hoover up all the little items, health drops, etc. instead of standing there repeatedly pressing the “pick-up” button and the novelty of QTEs wore off for me after I my first play through of RE4 17 years ago. Also, while controllers should be built to take punishment, I’d still rather not subject them to unneeded rapid button mashing and control stick swirling.

yeah holding down the button instead of mashing for quick time events was in gow2018, i turned it on immediately.

also there's an option to add checkpoints to mini boss and boss fights, so you can start from the middle of a boss fight if you die and you're close to beating it, which is cool.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I may be alone on this but I like QTEs.
Fell in love with them when I first played Shenmue on my Dreamcast years ago

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Probably helps that I can mash buttons at an incredible rate, it’s my gift and my curse

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

QTE’s are alright.

What we need less of is dumb sequences where all you can do is hold a direction while your character ambles in it to the next part of the game.

Even if it’s to hide loading, just make it a cutscene, it was cool when Half Life did it a hundred years ago but the novelty has worn off and nobody is impressed anymore.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Even if it’s the end of the game and your guy is all broken and bloodied and you have to make that last gasp crawl towards the macguffin to save the day, make it a loving cutscene it is not more impactful just because you’re making me hold up on the analogue stick for like 5 minutes to see it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Half-Life didn't hide loading, it still froze for a few seconds, but it loaded you into what appeared to be the same hallway which was more than most games bothered with. You could at least imagine it was a seamless environment

GOWR is primarily a PS4 game so it'll definitely still have loading zones

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I’m thinking more about how Half Life kicked off the whole “you can control your guy right now even when historically this would have just been a cutscene holy poo poo the future is here” trend in the mainstream rather than specifically hiding loading screens, which is the other big thing developers seem to love adding them for.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shenmue took its QTEs seriously, long action set pieces loaded with prompts that would often branch rather than end on failure. At the other end of the scale is stuff like RE4 with QTEs that are either busywork or an occasional pop quiz to make sure you're still holding the controller halfway through a cutscene. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Shenmue's approach in modern games.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Like if my character is blade to blade with the bad guy I feel like mashing a button to overpower him make me feel more immersed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

haveblue posted:

Half-Life didn't hide loading, it still froze for a few seconds, but it loaded you into what appeared to be the same hallway which was more than most games bothered with. You could at least imagine it was a seamless environment

GOWR is primarily a PS4 game so it'll definitely still have loading zones

Apparently the shimmy bits aren't hiding loading by and large. It's a crappy way to funnel the player into the next area. Some hide loading but they're mainly to funnel the player and also so the game doesn't have to keep rendering where you just were.

This is my bird brained understanding of what df and others say about it.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

acksplode posted:

Shenmue took its QTEs seriously, long action set pieces loaded with prompts that would often branch rather than end on failure. At the other end of the scale is stuff like RE4 with QTEs that are either busywork or an occasional pop quiz to make sure you're still holding the controller halfway through a cutscene. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Shenmue's approach in modern games.

Yea I agree if a game is gonna use QTEs there should be more branching
I think the Dark Pictures games did this?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It was like 50% of the gimmick in Until Dawn, I hosed up the very last QTE in the game and killed basically everyone lol.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SilkyP posted:

I may be alone on this but I like QTEs.
Fell in love with them when I first played Shenmue on my Dreamcast years ago

SAME also I love manual looting.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The biggest boon of VR technology is that it allows me to bend over in real life to grasp the coins one by one, with real finger tracking to make sure I don't drop it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Apparently the shimmy bits aren't hiding loading by and large. It's a crappy way to funnel the player into the next area. Some hide loading but they're mainly to funnel the player and also so the game doesn't have to keep rendering where you just were.

This is my bird brained understanding of what df and others say about it.

they are absolutely to hide loading

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

SAME also I love manual looting.

There is the Tim Rogers argument of like, if you want to avoid button presses, why are you even playing a video game. But maybe I just want to save my precious thumb energy for the important presses!!!!!! and also phone shitposting

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manual looting rules, I unironically love each individual button press to stuff an item into my backpack

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think there’s also a big difference between games like Shenmue where the tedious button pressing is kind of the point and games where the tedious button pressing is entirely superfluous to the meat of the game and just gets tiresome.

Fwiw I have always loved Shenmue 1+2 and platted the remasters and everything.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was okay with manual looting in Forizon:FW, then I played Elden Ring and realized, in a giant fast paced open world, that mechanic is best left behind.

Then the devs added ‘press button to autoloot’ as a toggle to H:FW and it made the last 1/3 of that game so much better. Just hovering up resources like it ain’t no thang.

I think it’s fine in slower paced games like RDR2, though. Slapping that hide on the back of my horse is part of the experience.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think there’s also a big difference between games like Shenmue where the tedious button pressing is kind of the point and games where the tedious button pressing is entirely superfluous to the meat of the game and just gets tiresome.

Fwiw I have always loved Shenmue 1+2 and platted the remasters and everything.

I always felt Shenmue handled QTE very well compared to most implementations of it. The buttons usually corresponded to what they would do in free combat or their relative actions, and missing a prompt didn’t always result in a fail but allowed you to recover as the sequence changed slightly. They were also usually pretty exciting sequences.

I too have plats for both Shenmues. I don’t have the plat for 3 but that’s because it involves something insane like catching 1000 fish or something. I loving loved Shenmue 3 though, warts and all. It felt like it managed to encapsulate the vibe and pace and gameplay I loved to begin with. It felt very uncompromising as a “I’m finally going to make a third one of these” game, budget issues notwithstanding. The combat really suffered in particular. Still loved the experience.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they are absolutely to hide loading

Some are, most arent. This is what hypernerds say about it and I trust their judgement.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I think it was a Santa Monica employee who came out and said that in some DF guy's mentions. The shorter shimmies are a more natural way to do the DMC red walls that lock you into a combat encounter, and there is a loading related bit where they allow the game to confidently unload the area you left. If Ragnarok is like the first one, loading will be hidden behind contrivances that slow you down for an extended period, like switchback paths and ailing hogs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

There is the Tim Rogers argument of like, if you want to avoid button presses, why are you even playing a video game. But maybe I just want to save my precious thumb energy for the important presses!!!!!! and also phone shitposting

I feel him on that 100% I wanna press all the buttons!!!

Rockstar sprinting is also a god tier mechanic

Arist posted:

Manual looting rules, I unironically love each individual button press to stuff an item into my backpack

:hfive:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want to revisit Shenmue but sometimes I worry about not liking it now or finding it difficult/tedious. It changed my loving life on the Dreamcast. What an amazing game :D

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I spent the first 10-15 minutes of Shenmue 1 remastered going ‘oh no these controls are loving terrible how did I ever put up with this poo poo as a child’ but then I got used to them again and it was fine.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want to revisit Shenmue but sometimes I worry about not liking it now or finding it difficult/tedious. It changed my loving life on the Dreamcast. What an amazing game :D

It blew my god drat mind on release. I had never played anything like it that felt so lived in and fully realized. I was hooked. My nostalgia for it and my desire to see the story continue will never die.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
gently caress, leonine misbegotten is so loving tough. He's been kicking my face in all night. It's stopped being fun so I've just hosed off somewhere else and will come back later. Everyone on reddit seems to be saying that basically once you have a long weapon he becomes really easy cos you can just stagger him, and / or there's an Ash you can apply to your shield which means you don't lose all your stamina when you block his attacks... So I'll just wait until I've got either of those options.

Aaargh so frustrating though. A small handful of times I managed to get him to the last 25% or so of HP, but he has so many different quick attacks that as soon as you misjudge your timing once you're pretty much dead.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I spent the first 10-15 minutes of Shenmue 1 remastered going ‘oh no these controls are loving terrible how did I ever put up with this poo poo as a child’ but then I got used to them again and it was fine.

lol yeah I’m sure it will be rough in that way. I adapt pretty quickly to controls at least!

man nurse posted:

It blew my god drat mind on release. I had never played anything like it that felt so lived in and fully realized. I was hooked. My nostalgia for it and my desire to see the story continue will never die.

Yeah gently caress it I’m going to get back into the series sometime. It’s too special to me to not. It seriously blew my mind on a level nothing had. It felt so real. So full of character. I spent many late nights in my room living in that game and I don’t regret a single second of it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ragnarok’s accessibility features have been revealed and they’re pretty drat comprehensive.

I managed GoW2018 without any additional options but it’s nice to know they exist in the new game.

I’m really not one for the AAA space these days, but since that’s where all the cool accessibility innovations are happening, I think I’m going to pick this game up.

Few specific things that I think are novel/cool/low bar features that other developers should adopt:

High contrast highlighting, with customizable colors for specific entities. You can have your loot be blue, your enemies be red, Atreus be purple, whatever. Any color mapped to any entity.

Boss fight checkpointing. I personally wouldn’t use it, but it’s an easy get for most games, I think.

Scalable UI. There’s literaly no excuse to not include this barring very small teams working under tight constraints. When even sighted people are bitching about microfont regularly, you know there’s a problem.

Holds vs taps, easy get, no downside. Don’t care personally other than being lazy sometimes.

Navigation assist is definitely useful for me, and I think it’s cool for everyone, because if you want to insure you’re putting off the story direction, you can.

Love that there are options specific to puzzles. Throwing the axe on tight timings with no aim help in the first one was pretty tough for me.

Equipment optimization and selection, filtering and equipping on a per stat basis. I think most people will like this because the RPG mechanics bloat in ‘18 was pretty ugh.

Ability to resize/remove altogether combat indicators.

My only reservation right now is the screen reading functionality. They mention that it is limited to specific menus. Hoping that doesn’t remove access to parts of the game for me.

TLoU II’s screen reading was amazingly comprehensive. All the notes, all the incidental signage the player could examine, every menu, every interface change, ammo count, crafting prereqs, including what you’re missing, you name it, the TTS would and could report it. I wish I could have sped it up, or modified its verbosity, but eh, for a first comprehensive screen reader in a game, whatever.

I’m glad to see the industry moving the right direction with this stuff.

E: Oh, and all of these aren’t pure binaries either. Instead of on/off, they’ve got multiple states you can pick from. Off is always there, obviously. But it’s really neat that they thought of all this.

E2: They used consultants with a range of disabilities to determine the scope of the options. I hope those folks got paid enough for their expertise.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I pretty much gave up playing games a few years ago because I got busy with work and was a bit disappointed with my xbox one. In that time I also started thinking of games as a vice or a waste of time. I worked from home during the covid lockdown, felt trapped and got pretty depressed. I killed some time with a switch and animal crossing, as was the thing to do at the time. That lead to BOTW and then some good xbone games - mainly Control, Dark Souls 2, Doom Eternal, and Nier Automata, which all really impressed me in different ways.  

The games were good, but things still felt a bit out of balance. While I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with interacting with a screen all day for both work and recreation for some people, it was not working out for me. For summer 2021 I pretty much put the games back down in order to maximize my time spent outside interacting with nature while not glued to my work laptop. This worked pretty well, but it wasn't awesome, and I missed my vidya games. Was this the new life balance I would need to accept as an adult?

I decided nuts to that, and quit my good stable computer touching job. I enrolled in a year-long horticulture certificate program, got a crappy landscaping job, worked my way up and jumped around a bit, and now have a very cool and challenging job working full time with a nice local tree company. Now I do enjoyable but physically difficult work outdoors, and get home each day with my body tired and my mind relatively fresh, ready to smoke a bowl and jump into games with the kind of guilt-free, liberated enthusiasm I hadn't felt since I was a kid.

I had always been an xbox guy, but I realized if I switched to PS this gen I would have access to the whole PS4 back catalog, which is pretty much new to me and includes some of the best regarded games ever. I saw a PS5 available on Sony's website and grabbed it (bump-having model, HFW bundle). I decided to leave it in the box until I finished my coursework to help me stay focussed. Now I'm less than a week away and this is the most excited I've been to spark up a new console since the original Xbox.