Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Anyone that thinks that Trump and his band haven't spent the last couple years sharpening their knives and planning their payback for the first 100 days in office is insanely shortsighted. Every evil gently caress in the country has reached out to the FPOTUS with whatever horrendous scheme they could cook up. Relying on incompetence during a second term is real galaxy brain type thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
surely the liberal establishment won't underestimate the Trumpers or GOP again and self-assuredly pat themselves on the back that they're going high and therefore

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a whole wall of text about this but probably just better to post the short version...

2020 captured the GOP into the anti-vaxx orbit whereas before it had no solid political alignment or backing. With its adoption into the party platform and its amplification by fox news public health in general is at stake. More than most GOP potential candidates, DeSantis has flirted with removing all vaccine mandates, has done more to interfere with public health measures and appoint the most blatant science deniers to science-related positions.

I am confident a DeSantis presidency, with a GOP led congress, would result in the end of vaccine mandates for schools and an elimination of most of the public health funding to research in the United States. This would have a knock-on effect of gutting higher education sectors primarily in deep-blue cities / blue states and further speed the brain drain of scientists leaving the field / leaving the country.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They'll just not let them leave the country then bing bong so simple

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the only potentially effective way to defuse the antivaxxers at this point is to lean all the way into pretending COVID was a Chinese bioweapon and paint them as collaborators

this plan may have other problems

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't know man, these people are gold metal mental gymnasts. They were perfectly fine to believe it was a hoax while also literally bashing chinese people. I say chinese, half the time they'd probably just go after any east asians. Not exactly what you'd call a bright or moral bunch

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

the only potentially effective way to defuse the antivaxxers at this point is to lean all the way into pretending COVID was a Chinese bioweapon and paint them as collaborators

this plan may have other problems

If nothing else this’d be fun

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

The accessibility community is also caught between a rock and a hard place, with a lot of the most prominent and knowledgeable advocates being completely tied to Twitter. All their networks are through twitter, all their linked studies, their walls upon walls of discussions about best practices are on twitter and almost the entirety of their audience has been reached through Twitter.

They might be able to move that following on to a different platform, but their ability to further grow and build that audience has been massively crippled.

https://twitter.com/arhayward/status/1588587436661407745?s=20&t=sDJGWZIkWFZg3UIiHrAEHQ

@TwitterA11y was a direct channel for completely random people to get into contact with fairly high ranking, relevant people at places like Ubisoft, EA and Microsoft.
Now we're back where we started, having made some important connections but having lost the ability to reach more of the main stream industry through transparent networking.
Back to knowing someone who knows someone at nepotism inc.

I wanna say Microsoft and IBM have LinkedIn communities and groupings that are organized by Teams and other applications and don't rely on Twitter. It's more "research group" in form and function so fairly resilient to your concerns.

I've worked with the Msoft Accessibility team on and off and they're working with other firms to cultivate distributed networks of disability and accessibility advocates. Might be worth getting in contact on LinkedIn.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

If nothing else this’d be fun

Fascism blaming the other/foreigners for internal issues etc. etc.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't know man, these people are gold metal mental gymnasts. They were perfectly fine to believe it was a hoax while also literally bashing chinese people. I say chinese, half the time they'd probably just go after any east asians. Not exactly what you'd call a bright or moral bunch

Exactly. Not sure making Asians scapegoats (because as you mentioned, the right isn't gonna differentiate from east Asian ethnic groups let alone if they are even foreign nationals) for a group of people we've been unwilling to confront will end well for said minority group.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They will go after any Asians. My wife and her friends are Filipino, and several of them have been berated in public by chuds. And this is in LA, not Georgia or someplace in the south.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gold "metal". Bleh. Too late to change now

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Twitter updates for today:

https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/1589340368998264832

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1589255100417323008

move fast and break things WAIT gently caress IT'S BROKEN GODDAMNIT delay it gently caress WHY DIDN'T THIS GET TESTED you're fired gently caress

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

As an early Tesla owner, I can say that the idea that Tesla software engineers could be brought in as some kind of experts is comical.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Madurai posted:

As an early Tesla owner,

mods? please ban this sick filth

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Immanentized posted:

I wanna say Microsoft and IBM have LinkedIn communities and groupings that are organized by Teams and other applications and don't rely on Twitter. It's more "research group" in form and function so fairly resilient to your concerns.

I've worked with the Msoft Accessibility team on and off and they're working with other firms to cultivate distributed networks of disability and accessibility advocates. Might be worth getting in contact on LinkedIn.

Oh I managed to get into contact with them. That part isn't the issue. The issue is that I'm climbing up a ladder and seeing it disappear below me just as I reach the ledge.
I don't really care that much about having reached the ledge as I care about the general public no longer having that very same ladder to access the ledge.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Madurai posted:

As an early Tesla owner,

:goofy:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Teslas have been around a while now right? I could see someone early adopting them not being totally terrible before it became clear how much Musky and also his cars clearly sucked

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

Teslas have been around a while now right? I could see someone early adopting them not being totally terrible before it became clear how much Musky and also his cars clearly sucked

the big initial sales pitch was "we put a bunch of laptop batteries in the trunk to power it!" so it was never a really well thought out thing, even on the surface. I know I always assumed that there was more that the journos missed, but no, it was always exactly as dumb as it appeared

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sure but I doubt most people honestly give that much of a poo poo about the technical details of their cars. God knows I don't.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Twitter updates for today:

https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/1589340368998264832

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1589255100417323008

move fast and break things WAIT gently caress IT'S BROKEN GODDAMNIT delay it gently caress WHY DIDN'T THIS GET TESTED you're fired gently caress

I wonder if even for a second musk considered a good faith effort to clean up harmful content and bots, reassuring advertisers, and implementing new ideas slowly after thorough testing.

He seems similar to a billionaire character from the show Silicon Valley who lucked into a billion with a bet on “internet radio” but since then had no clue what to do with his money and got annoyed when someone did the math and realized if he’d done nothing but buy CDs he’d have far more money.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wonder if even for a second musk considered a good faith effort to clean up harmful content and bots, reassuring advertisers, and implementing new ideas slowly after thorough testing.

He seems similar to a billionaire character from the show Silicon Valley who lucked into a billion with a bet on “internet radio” but since then had no clue what to do with his money and got annoyed when someone did the math and realized if he’d done nothing but buy CDs he’d have far more money.

I have always wondered if he’s actually a good investor or just incredibly lucky. Like Zip2 and X.com sucked, but it allowed to get into PayPal, which was revolutionary at the time. He jumped on Tesla and turned a bullshit quality product into something people with more money than sense loved. SpaceX and OpenAI are fairly great because he’s pretty hands off, despite his title of founder and chief engineer. Then he goes and memes himself into Twitter and publicly burns it to the ground. I think he thought he was actually good at software engineering instead of being ahead of trends and able to throw ludicrous amounts at money to corner the market.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the twitter situation should answer all your questions about if elon is actually any good at investing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

the twitter situation should answer all your questions about if elon is actually any good at investing

hell it should have answered all those questions back in april when he offered to buy it at 40% above market

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I have always wondered if he’s actually a good investor or just incredibly lucky. Like Zip2 and X.com sucked, but it allowed to get into PayPal, which was revolutionary at the time. He jumped on Tesla and turned a bullshit quality product into something people with more money than sense loved. SpaceX and OpenAI are fairly great because he’s pretty hands off, despite his title of founder and chief engineer. Then he goes and memes himself into Twitter and publicly burns it to the ground. I think he thought he was actually good at software engineering instead of being ahead of trends and able to throw ludicrous amounts at money to corner the market.

maffew buildings posted:

He is not even a software guy. He's a loving mine owner, he knows how to extract wealth cost of human life and the environment, that is all he will ever be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WfHXt1ZQhg

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

hell it should have answered all those questions back in april when he offered to buy it at 40% above market

Sure, but this makes it seem like he’s Trump level dumb. He actually had some success pre Twitter so I wonder if he was just lucky, huffed too many of his own farts and outplayed himself, all of the above?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1589396844131782656

It's day 9 and Elon is now taking action against the El0n accounts mocking him. Things are going well!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RIP comedy on Twitter, it came back only to die again a week later

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RFC2324 posted:

the big initial sales pitch was "we put a bunch of laptop batteries in the trunk to power it!" so it was never a really well thought out thing, even on the surface. I know I always assumed that there was more that the journos missed, but no, it was always exactly as dumb as it appeared

A huge array of 18650 cells was the best idea that Tesla ever had. It predates Musk muscling in on the company and worked quite well.

It’s obsolete now, but in 2008, it was the bomb.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Apparently throwing them in a Lotus was also a winning idea, because you can't murder for those original Teslas now.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hyrax Attack! posted:

i think he does think he's making a good faith effort to solve twitter's problems as they appear to a person with a ton of privilege and a 99.99th+ percentile follower count (along with bonus problems from being someone whose replies are known fertile ground for anyone looking to grow a crypto scam), albeit combined with someone who's also saddled the company with so much debt that cutting half the staff is a reasonable approach to take in a desperate attempt to break even. unfortunately, good faith doesnt magically teach you how to run a social network when you never have before, hence the whole "we don't need to reassure <the reason for almost all of our revenue>" aspect of the takeover. the other half comes from extreme "im the worlds best businessman and very big brained" hubris where he thinks that the problems and solutions are just so obvious lol

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

the whole predicting the market aspect of investing is largely luck. VC firms arent made on incredible insight, they're made by diversification (with some constraints), lining up business relationships among their investments, and dumping a shitton of capital to try and capture a market. they still have plenty of poo poo fail and pass on investing in plenty of things that do well. musk is arguably a far better marketer than he is investor, at least in the case of tesla, and maybe more willing to invest in hardware-intensive (capital-intensive) markets with large (auto) or no (commercial spacecraft) existing players

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1589396844131782656

It's day 9 and Elon is now taking action against the El0n accounts mocking him. Things are going well!

Lol that’s gotta be the preferred way to leave the site if it isn’t already, preferably while spamming up the replys of one of his remaining advertisers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I disagree with the premise that white nationalist terror is a line for Facebook and YouTube.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/maureenjohnson/status/1589450486276534272?s=46&t=NtSog5t1hLG_CrnHt970TQ

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1000560049389907969

Oh, so that's happening.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 7, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ahahhha didn’t even take him 10 days the advertiser stampede tomorrow is gonna be ridiculous.

Wait that’s from 2018? Well still, doesn’t help

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

As the thailand cave crisis and the shipping of starlink to Ukraine showed, Musk is very good at jumping on trends, and he inherited a shitton of cash for jumping on treads. And in both cases Musk's true nature only came through later when people realized Musk didn't actually care about people at all, between the crazed submarine idea + pedo accusations and lying about what SpaceX was actually charging the Ukrainians. But he is really skilled at jumping on bandwagons early despite being an idiot manager and a far-right rear end in a top hat who has donated to a lot more alt-right people than you'd think.

The only real exception to this is SpaceX. SpaceX exists because the Russian space companies tried to cheat and scam Musk so much that he invested a majority of his fortune into creating a competitor out of pure spite. SpaceX's original purpose was to drive the Russian space industry into bankruptcy as an act of revenge. But even that mirrors the present, where Musk has risked most of his fortune because some people mocked him on Twitter.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hear me out, what if we run a social media site like somethingawful, but all the rules for comedy are made by a pre-death right wingy lowtax

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1589403341771022336?t=TkZ9Qk8ZvL-TRO1cIoMPow&s=19

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1589487189670465536?t=rmwfUAPgvVvpOIbtd_R8xg&s=19

Edit:

https://twitter.com/DannyVegito/status/1588237959236653057?t=GwuSRYl_xOgb595dBd8cVA&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 7, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Props to Kathy Griffin for staying relevant.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kathy Griffin was a victim of posting before everyone learned to never apologize, only double down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dear God.

And isn't "Libertarian" at this point pretty much "I'm a Republican but don't want to own it"? You'd think anything with "Lib" in it would be spooky.