Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

History Comes Inside! posted:

Stray would be much better if you could control the cat’s jumps instead of them all being pretty much on rails.

this is complete antithetical to the premise/general vibes of controlling a cat instead of controlling your average parkouring video game protagonist and would make the game worse for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I found Stray to be pretty fun and a relatively easy plat, but I own a cat too soo I felt compelled to play it.

I guess i'll have a go at a few of the Valkyries to get me brushed up on GoW combat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

this is complete antithetical to the premise/general vibes of controlling a cat instead of controlling your average parkouring video game protagonist and would make the game worse for it

The cat obeying your commands at all is antithetical to the premise of controlling a cat

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Outer Worlds is poop from a butt, don’t bother when you have so many other games to catch up on. Don’t even bother when you run out of other games to catch up on. It sucks.

But... New Vegas in space?

imhotep posted:

do you mean final fantasy 7 remake? cause i'd say it's as good as the rest of those games, or in my top 5 in that list at least. also psychonauts 2 is actually really good, and i didn't even play the first that much, i stopped playing after probably the second world, but i nearly 100%ed psychonauts 2 and really enjoyed it.

have you played control? cause that list is (or contains, at least) basically like my list of best games for the ps4/5, but i'd also add control, (and sekiro. and the last guardian, and i guess a few others, but yeah)

Yes the remake. I kind of wish it was more of a straightforward remake keeping the turn-based mechanic, but I'll give it a fair shot.

I'm actually just playing the first Psychonauts right now as part of my Xbox farewell tour along with Halo Infinite and Rogue Legacy 2. It's cool but some aspects are really dated. If the sequel keeps the spirit while tightening things up it should be great.

Yes I completed Control on xbox one. I thought the story fell kinda flat towards the end, but awesome game overall. Probably the most visually impressive I've played so far.

Sekiro sounds dope and I think I'll get to it eventually, but some time after Elden Ring and Sifu.

bows1 posted:

Great list, but I'd also remove Stray from a must play...

I'm sure this is fair but, hey, listen, I enjoyed goose game and I'm excited to play as a non-anthropomorphized cat.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've been playing Outer Worlds on PC and it's pretty fun, tries a little too hard to be funny in its satirical world and it's a bit easy in terms of shooting things.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I thought Tuesday was the street date for video games? Why are these assholes making me wait another day?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Decades posted:

Sekiro sounds dope and I think I'll get to it eventually, but some time after Elden Ring and Sifu.

Sifu is a wonderful little game if a bit on the short side.

Also if you ever end up playing darks souls 2 again on ps5 I'm always up to do a new run.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I would absolutely prioritize Stray, it's such a nice breezy short time compared to the 50+ hour investments most modern games are, also don't sleep on the pre-installed game Astrobot which is a cute little miniature platformer that is way better than it has any right to be

Decades posted:

I played it from start to finish earlier this year including DLC and it's not bad it's just...6/10 at best, maybe a little better during some of the companion quests

Think less New Vegas in space and more Fallout 3 in space, only without all the fun exploration

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Decades posted:

Yes the remake. I kind of wish it was more of a straightforward remake keeping the turn-based mechanic, but I'll give it a fair shot.

I'm actually just playing the first Psychonauts right now as part of my Xbox farewell tour along with Halo Infinite and Rogue Legacy 2. It's cool but some aspects are really dated. If the sequel keeps the spirit while tightening things up it should be great.

Yes I completed Control on xbox one. I thought the story fell kinda flat towards the end, but awesome game overall. Probably the most visually impressive I've played so far.

I'm sure this is fair but, hey, listen, I enjoyed goose game and I'm excited to play as a non-anthropomorphized cat.

yeah i just saw your other post right after i posted that, i forgot it was on xbox as well.

i think thats also exactly what i wrote about psychonauts 2 in the game of the year thread last year, that it was basically a more ideal version of what they were trying to do with the first game, but couldn't or, couldn't do well due to the technical limitations or just because certain weird things that they were trying to do just hadn't really been done before that, but are maybe now not that uncommon in games.

also outer worlds and disco elysium got compared somewhat often because they came out at around the same time and disco eylsium is by far the best written game that i've ever played at least, and overall a way more unique and interesting RPG in general compared to outer worlds, but obviously they're also not really that comparable.

i was also on the fence about the ff7 remake before it came out, because i was avoiding trailers and stuff, but then i played the demo and immediately pre ordered it, it's really incredible. i was super disappointed by kh3 and ff15 so i assumed they were going to gently caress the remake up somehow, or in some way that made it unfun to play, but the combat is really incredible and just looking at the list of games that you have played/want to play, i think you'll like the combat. also i know you said you wished it was more like a straightforward remake of the original in terms of combat (which is also probably the best take on a real time combat mixed with turn based stuff rpg mechanics in general), but it's surprisingly faithful to the original's plot as well, even though it does add a lot of stuff in the end.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Decades posted:

I pretty much gave up playing games a few years ago because I got busy with work and was a bit disappointed with my xbox one. In that time I also started thinking of games as a vice or a waste of time. I worked from home during the covid lockdown, felt trapped and got pretty depressed. I killed some time with a switch and animal crossing, as was the thing to do at the time. That lead to BOTW and then some good xbone games - mainly Control, Dark Souls 2, Doom Eternal, and Nier Automata, which all really impressed me in different ways.  

The games were good, but things still felt a bit out of balance. While I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with interacting with a screen all day for both work and recreation for some people, it was not working out for me. For summer 2021 I pretty much put the games back down in order to maximize my time spent outside interacting with nature while not glued to my work laptop. This worked pretty well, but it wasn't awesome, and I missed my vidya games. Was this the new life balance I would need to accept as an adult?

I decided nuts to that, and quit my good stable computer touching job. I enrolled in a year-long horticulture certificate program, got a crappy landscaping job, worked my way up and jumped around a bit, and now have a very cool and challenging job working full time with a nice local tree company. Now I do enjoyable but physically difficult work outdoors, and get home each day with my body tired and my mind relatively fresh, ready to smoke a bowl and jump into games with the kind of guilt-free, liberated enthusiasm I hadn't felt since I was a kid.

I had always been an xbox guy, but I realized if I switched to PS this gen I would have access to the whole PS4 back catalog, which is pretty much new to me and includes some of the best regarded games ever. I saw a PS5 available on Sony's website and grabbed it (bump-having model, HFW bundle). I decided to leave it in the box until I finished my coursework to help me stay focussed. Now I'm less than a week away and this is the most excited I've been to spark up a new console since the original Xbox.

Nice work dude. In this past year I also gave up on a computer job I couldn’t stand and now work as a chef/baker in a small rural town and also got a prescription for medical cannabis. The difference that not looking at a screen for 40+ hours a week and hearing slack and Teams notification sounds all day makes has been transformative. In my case anyway.

You’re also like the ideal user for the new ps+ subscription service. Can’t imagine what it’s like not having a ps console last gen and then suddenly having access to basically every good ps4 exclusive and a bunch of ps5 games.

I cannot stop myself from playing Elden ring so I have no other gaming suggestions at this stage. It’s like my comfort game at this point.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

mcmagic posted:

I thought Tuesday was the street date for video games? Why are these assholes making me wait another day?

been moving away from tuesday releases for a while now since blu-ray/dvd releases and cd releases arent nearly as big a competitor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tuesday is Election Day in the US and they don’t want to impact the gamer vote

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

FireWorksWell posted:

Also if you ever end up playing darks souls 2 again on ps5 I'm always up to do a new run.

That could be cool. I never totally finished it because I got stuck somewhere in the dlc. Souls 1 on the switch is my only other From experience. It was good but I didn't like it quite as much and I got broken by gravelord nito. I really want to make it through elden ring. Then I think I'll be tempted to try demon's souls next because it just sounds so pretty lookin.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Don’t play on challenge for your first try, the combat is very different from most brawlers and you have barely any upgrades right now

Done, thanks

acksplode posted:

Use your fists to stun enemies before using the axe to work down their HP. Knocking enemies into walls works well too

I'll give this a try too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I watched the IGN review of GoW2 and it’s just embarrassing. Not a single piece of negative feedback, just it’s so much better and grander and the greatest game of all time!!1

Go somewhere that shits out negative reviews for the sake of it then

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah enemies are just way too tanky on Hard, at least in the early game, it makes every fight exhausting. also there are no difficulty-based cheevos

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Nice work dude. In this past year I also gave up on a computer job I couldn’t stand and now work as a chef/baker in a small rural town and also got a prescription for medical cannabis. The difference that not looking at a screen for 40+ hours a week and hearing slack and Teams notification sounds all day makes has been transformative. In my case anyway.

You’re also like the ideal user for the new ps+ subscription service. Can’t imagine what it’s like not having a ps console last gen and then suddenly having access to basically every good ps4 exclusive and a bunch of ps5 games.

I cannot stop myself from playing Elden ring so I have no other gaming suggestions at this stage. It’s like my comfort game at this point.

Hell yeah :hfive:

Yeah I foresee getting sucked deep into elden ring.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Decades posted:

Hell yeah :hfive:

Yeah I foresee getting sucked deep into elden ring.

Elden Ring brought me to a sense of wonder and interest I hadn’t felt for a video game in a long time. The sheer process of discovering the game consumed my available free time for like a month and that poo poo rarely happens to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You are meant to use the axe for crowd control and fists to kill right at the start. Punching stun builds much faster than you can knock down hp with axe R1s. The axe gets stronger obvs but at the start the game should really be clearer that axe is for throwing at people to freeze them or trip them (until you get executioners cleave) and fists are for the ripping and the tearing.

Finding a runic attack is a good indication that your axe is online for more than frosty hijinks.

Also I don't think the game ever tells you this but punching things in the back doubles stun build.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stray attempts to be some epic cat the last of us instead of developing any good gameplay or even having a cat that makes a single sound that my cat would make who the gently caress is this weird sounding cat?

Just make the town level and solve robot problems.

Cut the shooting, stealth, bullshit

Cut the loving sewer level

Like why are we going through the loving same old motions on a cat simulator? Prestige? Cmon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Stray attempts to be some epic cat the last of us instead of developing any good gameplay or even having a cat that makes a single sound that my cat would make who the gently caress is this weird sounding cat?

Even for you this is a bad post. Maybe put down gaming for a while and touch grass.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^lol

Stray is good

imhotep posted:

i wish god of war had more tracks as good as this, it's one of the few i can actually remember aside from the main theme that was in all the trailers, with the tenor/bass choir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wiUzJ_vXb8

this track just came on after it and it's also p good too and i remember it now, but the dragon theme is like one of the cooler songs for this type of soundtrack that i've heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyk0QOLQ3fA

also sindri's voice actor is pretty good, but it reminds me of david cross and it would be cool if david cross voiced a stupid comedic character in god of war

Hell yessss

Theres so much batshit insane surreal goofy stuff in Norse mythology that Cross would fit perfectly somehow

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, don’t think of the fists as the emergency fallback for when you don’t have the axe. It’s a distinct weapon with a distinct moveset and role

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The director of the new Final Fantasy was asked about the lack of ethnic diversity in the game and he said it's like that for the sake of historical accuracy.

I'm glad that the history of the magic land of crystals will be presented authentically?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hopefully he gets canceled for it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

just give me the demo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

just give me the demo

I really hope it’s out by the end of the year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you’re giving the same answer the fanboys give when asked why game of thrones is full of misogyny and sex crimes, take a long look in the mirror

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Stray’s just a fancy point and click adventure game, if you expect nothing more than that you’ll have a great time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dewgy posted:

Stray’s just a fancy point and click adventure game, if you expect nothing more than that you’ll have a great time.

Yeah the price tag alone really says what it is. It’s a nice little adventure with a solid budget and good art/music/sound design behind it.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I'd you're an old like me and miss the classic survival horror games, please give Signalis a try. I've binged it over 2 days and it's absolutely amazing. Sci fi survival horror wrapped up in a Kubrick style aesthetic, with all the key based puzzling you could hope for.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Even for you this is a bad post. Maybe put down gaming for a while and touch grass.

Sorry the grass doesnt have a context button over it but i can go over to it and make a sound none of my cats make

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bugblatter posted:

The director of the new Final Fantasy was asked about the lack of ethnic diversity in the game and he said it's like that for the sake of historical accuracy.

I'm glad that the history of the magic land of crystals will be presented authentically?

no he didn't, he said it was a violation of their narrative boundaries, which is maybe even dumber
“Valisthea was never going to realistically be as diverse as say a modern-day Earth…or even Final Fantasy XIV. Ultimately, we felt that while incorporating ethnic diversity into Valisthea was important, an over-incorporation into this single corner of a much larger world could end up causing a violation of those narrative boundaries we originally set for ourselves."

MarcusSA posted:

Hopefully he gets canceled for it

do you really want to cancel yoshi p

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

Sorry the grass doesnt have a context button over it but i can go over to it and make a sound none of my cats make

Man part of the joy of getting a new cat is finding out what kind of stupid noises they make and what voices they have. Are you also confused by voice acting because it doesn’t sound like people you know irl lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

are you sure you don't own a different pet that you've mixed up with a cat, like a ferret maybe

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

Stray made me understand an important thing about my own cat. Mind you he's 19 years old, but I often see other cats do the same. The sit there, and look up to where they want to go. And they...just do nothing for a certain amount of time and then without any other external stimuli, finally jump.

I now understand that their tiny little fur brain currently rotates the camera trying to find the jumpable point while the nervo system for the legs is mashing the jump button.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

tuo posted:

The sit there, and look up to where they want to go. And they...just do nothing for a certain amount of time and then without any other external stimuli, finally jump.

Oh so when I do this it's depression but when cats do it it's normal

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh so when I do this it's depression but when cats do it it's normal

lmao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stray would be much better if you could control the cat’s jumps instead of them all being pretty much on rails.

There isn’t even that much poo poo to knock over.

Yeah, what's the point of playing a cat if you can't have it running all over someone's room at 3AM knocking all their pictures off the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, what's the point of playing a cat if you can't have it running all over someone's room at 3AM knocking all their pictures off the wall?

but i already did that in stray :shrug: