Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you didn't get pumped up beyond measure after "Now I fight as Hoarah Loux - WARRIOR" I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Volte posted:

What about Gwyn

You fight a shadow of his former self while listening to plin plin plon. The only reason you can beat him is because he's so diminished. Same with Artorias. Hoarah Loux POWERS UP and you beat him at the height of his badassery. Jesus Christ, the more I think about it, the more he sucks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not the height of his powers - he was the one who fought the conquest wars for Marika and wiped out the Fire Giants.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Solidus Snake had more layers to him than Hoarah Loux ffs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We experience the height of his powers when we go through the Mountaintop of the Giants. I'm pretty sure the Hoarah we fight is the equivalent of ourselves as we are opening the doors to gaze upon the Tree Sentinel

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not the height of his powers - he was the one who fought the conquest wars for Marika and wiped out the Fire Giants.

I see nothing indicating that he did not return to that full power when he POWERED UP in the middle of fighting you

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you didn't get pumped up beyond measure after "Now I fight as Hoarah Loux - WARRIOR" I don't know what to tell you.

Somehow, after tearing off his clothes and letting out a loud roar, the part I took the least seriously was when he shouted out his superhero name. I got pumped when his opening move was a suplex from the third floor balcony.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

feelix posted:

I see nothing indicating that he did not return to that full power when he POWERED UP in the middle of fighting you

That you beat him. Do you think you fought Malenia or Radahn at the height of their strength?

War Wizard posted:

Somehow, after tearing off his clothes and letting out a loud roar, the part I took the least seriously was when he shouted out his superhero name. I got pumped when his opening move was a suplex from the third floor balcony.

That's his actual name - it was a great reveal since he was the last one from the intro we hadn't seen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Conan definitely isn’t off vibe for Souls games which are all in the same lineage of weirdo fetishistic sex and violence fantasy. It’s basically a direct line from the early upsurge of that in the 80s with Conan, Excalibur, etc to Berserk to Demon’s Souls. And even the original Conan rubs shoulders with the kind of Lovecraftian stuff that these games have drawn from.

And, these games have always incorporated kind of self-consciously ridiculous elements as well. the consistently goofy giant hats sorcerers wear across every game, or false Allant, or how Patches never changes or dies, or Quelaag, etc.

Hoarah Loux is just kind of out of place feeling though. He breaks tone. The rest of the post-Malekith stuff is stately and feel-bad—the capital itself is a wasteland, Gideon is suiciding against you in a church because he gave up on life, Radagon/Elden Beast is going for this solemn religious atmosphere. To throw a guy into the middle of that who literally goes “RAAAGH!” and does anime wrestling moves on you is funny, but it definitely doesn’t quite fit in.

The char design is also just a bit too silly and not grotesque enough. I mean, he’s wearing shorts.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 6, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

feelix posted:

Are you saying that powering up in the middle of a fight is off-brand for a Soulsborne game or something

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Powering up into a bad rear end muscle guy is. Yeah you can argue that the lineage comes from Conan and related works, but it is so far removed and subverted. A typical Frank Frazetta piece with a muscle man and a sexy boob and butt lady is decidedly un-Soulslike, yet Hoarah Loux feels like he stepped directly off of one of those drawings.

E: I'm also only familiar with the pop culture adaptations of Conan, so I may be mischaracterizing the original work. Hoarah Loux fits precisely with the pop culture cliches that I am familiar with.

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 6, 2022

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

so you never beat O&S or.... ????

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Salean posted:

so you never beat O&S or.... ????

Not with the mods you played with apparently

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

feelix posted:

Powering up into a bad rear end muscle guy is. Yeah you can argue that the lineage comes from Conan and related works, but it is so far removed and subverted. A typical Frank Frazetta piece with a muscle man and a sexy boob and butt lady is decidedly un-Soulslike, yet Hoarah Loux feels like he stepped directly off of one of those drawings.

E: I'm also only familiar with the pop culture adaptations of Conan, so I may be mischaracterizing the original work. Hoarah Loux fits precisely with the pop culture cliches that I am familiar with.

He was already the bad rear end muscle guy.

Volte posted:

Elden Ring is basically the first Souls game where we're even fighting humans who aren't corrupted beyond recognition so it's only off-brand in the sense that it's never really come up before. Unless you count Sekiro in which case Genichiro sets a pretty close precedent. Plenty of Soulsborne bosses powerup mid-fight into the shirtless enraged version of whatever atrocity they represent.

Yeah this is a good point too - most of the story bosses have much more character than in their previous games.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 6, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Elden Ring is basically the first Souls game where we're even fighting humans who aren't corrupted beyond recognition so it's only off-brand in the sense that it's never really come up before. Unless you count Sekiro in which case Genichiro sets a pretty close precedent. Plenty of Soulsborne bosses powerup mid-fight into the shirtless enraged version of whatever atrocity they represent.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Volte posted:

Hoarah Loux doesn't come off as an ironic joke in any capacity to me. I wouldn't even see him being out of place in Sekiro. He's not exactly the picture of "badass" which is usually associated with being either effortlessly cool or righteously angry. Instead he's basically a raging animal whose long-suppressed barely controllable bloodlust has finally broken loose.

If anything strikes me as being an over-the-top bit of semi-serious badassery it's Godrick cutting the head off a dragon to use it as an arm.

Yeah, and when I think about how big an influence Berserk has been on Miyazaki, things that fall on the silly, slightly adolescent, side of badass are all over the place there.

I don't think Horah Loux is supposed to be appreciated ironically (as noted, he'd be at home in Sekiro), but nor have most of the Soulsborne games shied away from their own breed of humour, from Patches to the appearance of the pots or farting apes or skeletons who pop their heads on like little hats.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Sorry but Hoarah Loux fits perfectly in Elden Ring, and him balancing perfectly on the line between "badass" and "ridiculous" is 100% on brand for a game in the franchise where you kill fuckoff huge dragons with fuckoff huge swords and then start a new character so you can kill fuckoff huge dragons with brass knuckles Just Because It's Funny And Cool

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Yeah, I did not mean that he is intended to be appreciated ironically. I meant precisely that he is on that silly, slightly adolescent side of badass that often is appreciated ironically, including by myself in other works. I have never felt that way about another character in Souls, and that's why I don't think he fits. There's nothing ironic about Patches and silly skeletons, those are just funny full stop.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What the gently caress are you even on about bro

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What the gently caress are you even on about bro

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Isn't the much more obvious 'insanely badass, but also ridiculous' boss Radahn, anyway?

Hoarah seems positively muted in comparison.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't the much more obvious 'insanely badass, but also ridiculous' boss Radahn, anyway?

Hoarah seems positively muted in comparison.

Radahn is eating a corpse at the start of the fight, lost his feet to diabetes, and rides a tiny horse. If there's a Frank Frazetta painting of that, I would dearly love to see it. Hoarah Loux isn't really ridiculous, he's just cliche.

feelix fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 7, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

stfu dude

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

feelix posted:

Radahn is eating a corpse at the start of the fight, lost his feet to diabetes, and rides a tiny horse. If there's a Frank Frazetta painting of that, I would dearly love to see it. Hoarah Loux isn't really ridiculous, he's just cliche.

You kidding? The concept art for him is Frazetta as gently caress.

Are you really not aware of how he likes to portray twisted, decayed grandeur?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the image of radahn sliding around on a horse while a giant pot, a wolfman, a guy with an armored potbelly, a samurai with a spooky mask, a guy dressed as a goat, a guy in a festive clown suit, and a woman in a robe all pursue him is incredible

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And for the record, there's a lot that's tragic and grotesque about Hoarah/Godfrey. Man literally has a giant lion grafted to his back so he can continue to pretend to be a wise and noble lord rather than a blood-soaked berserker who's more animal than human. Seeing the greatest hero of the realm devolve into a bellowing maniac who's trying to crack open your ribcage and feast on the tasties inside is pretty disturbing!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

You kidding? The concept art for him is Frazetta as gently caress.

Are you really not aware of how he likes to portray twisted, decayed grandeur?

I'm really not, apparently. Do you have any comparable examples? I like Frazetta's art, but that does not seem like his style at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

feelix posted:

I'm really not, apparently. Do you have any comparable examples? I like Frazetta's art, but that does not seem like his style at all.

Do a Google image search for 'Frank Frazetta monster'. You'll see more Soulsborne bosses than you can shake a battered greataxe at.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Do a Google image search for 'Frank Frazetta monster'. You'll see more Soulsborne bosses than you can shake a battered greataxe at.

I really don't see it. As I thought, it's all very archetypical by 2022 standards (because he was one of the people responsible for creating the archetypes). Maybe Google is just showing me what myself and others expect when they search for Frazetta -- lots of traditionally attractive people with very little clothing fighting fairly standard monsters. The most unusual ones are the modern or sci-fi ones because it's surprising to see a stereotypically fantasy aesthetic in those settings.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the whole Rahdan fight is pretty silly if you think about it, but it’s played completely straight.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm gonna nth all the comments that Radahn is magnitudes more silly and adolescently machismo than Hoarah Loux. Like yeah, power bombs are a little campy, but I thought it meshed well as a contrast to the rest of the final boss gauntlet.

I know you said you're only familiar with the pop culture version of Conan, but you have to understand that Elden Ring is like, insanely in lockstep with the tone of the original books. Elden Ring is definitely a swords-and-sandal, high-fantasy world through and through.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Radahn's horse isn't actually tiny, Radahn is just huge :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The beef seems to be that Horah Loux isn't ridiculous enough. Like it would probably go down better if he was wearing pink spandex and talking like Randy Savage and dropped an item that said "this belonged to the insane psycho Horah Loux who btw is now not even 1% as strong as he was in the olden days"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hoarah Loux has the same problem as every other boss, which is that he talks too much without giving me a chance to sass him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Godfrey should have ripped off his human skin and revealed himself to be Guardian Ape

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

idk what's wrong with hoarah loux powering up. a king from a bygone era who was insane and possessed by a weird spirit thing to keep him in line and stops being possessed and goes insane again mid fight seems pretty from softy

also at one point in development serosh was maliketh, so i guess that he's related to the farum azula beast dudes so i guess that he was a shadow for godfrey

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

feelix posted:

It's not exactly the same, but Death Dealer 6 strikes some similar notes (without the gigantism/dead horse). And you can't really call Death Dealer "conventionally attractive" when he doesn't exactly have a face.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

That you beat him. Do you think you fought Malenia or Radahn at the height of their strength?

Radahn no, malenia yes as the rot goddess.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
She's got another form in the tank we're just lucky she stopped there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm curious if anyone has ever rigged Radahn and Malenia up to 1v1 each other, since historically they were supposed to stalemate each other