Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And people were doubting that they're just paganists :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its cruel that FF was banned for this. Also who comes up with those rituals? Why isn't there a cum tribute to Perun?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read through most of a biography of "Mad Mike" Hoare before I figured out that he was the bad guy

its a shame because Wild Geese was a pretty good movie when i was a kid

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

OctaMurk posted:

I am immune to Propaganda

As am I. Like my anti-communist forefathers, I never learned to read, and thus no propaganda can penetrate the fortress that is my mind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

the biggest problem with steam locos was never the machine's efficiency, it's that you need a bespoke locomotive for every sort of rail incline/train weight combination you have on your rail network
like, if you have a 2% grade you need to pull your 1000 ton train onto and you have diesel locos that can pull a 1000 ton train up a 1% grade, you can just couple 2 diesels together and problem solved

you can't easily multiple-unit the old steam locos like you can with diesel-electrics though. firstly because these are hand made, purely mechanical machines, so from the start no two locos are exactly the same, nor do they have any engine control units installed

secondly, you might say, "well, then just have more crewed steamers, surely that works fine!", but it doesn't. it is an absolute loving nightmare for the crews due to how finicky the entire pressure system is in these old machines. the basics of running a single steamer are very simple - if speed starts falling you increase steam pressure in your pistons, if pressure is falling you make the fire burn hotter. as soon as you have two steamers though, this poo poo all goes out the window

even if you had two exact copies of the same loco, unless you also had the exact same fire and boiler level going in both locos for the entire route, you're going to be losing a ton of efficiency from either one of them because one might be burning a bit slower, but your pressure/speed aren't dropping because the other loco is picking up your slack, so you have nothing to react to until the other loco also starts struggling with its own pressure, and by then increasing the fire mass is probably too late because it can take a couple minutes for the heat to kick in and now the entire train is stalled on the grade. and like driving two steamers at the same time is hard, starting two steamers on a grade is just about impossible.

so in the end you'll need like 4-5 instead of the theoretical 2 needed to reliably climb that 2% grade with the same train. you can train the crew to efficiently drive multiple steam locos, or you can just run more, smaller trains and lose a ton of efficiency, but if ukraine is struggling to keep diesels running, lol @ that idea

however, fortunately for them, ukraine is all flat so that's all a non-issue :v:

I appreciate this post so drat much because it belies a heretofore unexpressed expertise and blows open the falsehood that is OpenTTD simply letting you put two trains together.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I appreciate this post so drat much because it belies a heretofore unexpressed expertise and blows open the falsehood that is OpenTTD simply letting you put two trains together.

openttd has all that stuff?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Azathoth posted:

As am I. Like my anti-communist forefathers, I never learned to read, and thus no propaganda can penetrate the fortress that is my mind.

i think mao sort of hacked this by means of spoken-word poetry

truly there is no end to the deviousness of the communist menace

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goddamn these heathens.

Deus Vult (ironically, parody, parody)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

i think mao sort of hacked this by means of spoken-word poetry

truly there is no end to the deviousness of the communist menace

If anyone comes up to me and tries to tell me something via slam poetry (how I imagine anyone in the US would try to do spoken word) I will punch them square in the face just on general principles.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Azathoth posted:

If anyone comes up to me and tries to tell me something via slam poetry (how I imagine anyone in the US would try to do spoken word) I will punch them square in the face just on general principles.

Whenever I do this I shout "PRAXIS!" like Ryu shouting "SHORYUKEN!"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Its cruel that FF was banned for this. Also who comes up with those rituals? Why isn't there a cum tribute to Perun?

Wait was he banned? I thought he ate an unfair 4 day probe, that thinking about it I guess wpuld have been over by now

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
FF was also vored.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

thats pretty badass. if that happened to me id probably just mutter something like "sorry uhh i can't right now" and avoid eye contact while moving quickly in the other direction

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i suspect that if you're at the point where illiterate but very armed and motivated red guards are the guys trying to get you going with the poetry, the lines of what constitutes awkward and/or annoying behaviour have blurred somewhat

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

KomradeX posted:

Wait was he banned? I thought he ate an unfair 4 day probe, that thinking about it I guess wpuld have been over by now

Over in 3 hours

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

frosted flakes will be free to post, and defend the pope, in a few hours

speng31b
May 8, 2010

FF is going to vore the pope

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

frosted flakes will be free to post, and defend the pope, in a few hours

Habemus FF

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

when FF's probe expires, we must look to jeffrey's chimney. if white smoke emerges, FF shall post with us. if black smoke emerges, FF is banned.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is legitimately funny that the comedy left-wing pope who was only there because the Serious People couldn't agree on who was up yet and he was expected to die within a year or so has now hung on for almost a decade

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

speng31b posted:

:wow:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

*searches frantically through giant old tomes of church canon law*

...no...nope, not a sin, actually! I'm as flummoxed as you are!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/fulton-sheen-explains-what-fatima-s-prophecies-mean

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Нам пишут из Янины. posted:

Regarding the Authenticity of the Marine Corps Letter.

How to explain this, that nobody there, who, in general, is a good person, but does not believe in the authenticity of this document because "it's nuts"...

Some time ago, dear friends, in OPSB, somehow, were confused with FSB, handed over a letter from the officers of the anti-aircraft missile regiment, fighting "in the SVO zone". In which regiment, due to the presence of several incompatible types of encrypted military communications, all radio communication is in plain text. The officers asked that the letter be delivered to "someone in the secret service who will take care of it". That is, the "letter to lottery" came to the right address, in general.

Yes, yes, citizens. The anti-aircraft gunners, each salvo of which costs more than the full equipping the whole regiment with "Motorolas" with a 256-bit key, openly discuss all of the regiment's combat work, because their commander doesn't bother with any bullshit like providing "covert operations manuals". So Ukrainian aviation and UAVs are normally chugging along this section, listening in on our anti-aircraft channel.

We checked it out, that's exactly the situation. We hope we can help the guys with at least some closed communication.

So, dear civil society, you still have a lot of grim discoveries to make about our army, in which negative selection and corruption have reigned for more than a decade and lost their last restraints with the fall of the USSR.

If you want to cheer yourself up about it, read Hodakovsky. How he bat his eyes at the subject, "How did that happen?" It immediately reminds me of the music from "Four Tatarins" about perestroika movies -"Who taught them all of this?"

He didn't write to us, he didn't want to upset us.
(from t.me/wehearfromyanina/1001, via tgsa)

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

it is legitimately funny that the comedy left-wing pope who was only there because the Serious People couldn't agree on who was up yet and he was expected to die within a year or so has now hung on for almost a decade

Yep, Frankie the Tankie was 76 and only had one lung when he became Pope. Its clear to me he was supposed to die early so the trad faction could unify by the next conclave. IIRC they were split between Péter Erdő (Hungary, rabid anticommunist, wants to "evangelize" all the Roma) and Peter Turkson (Ghana, very homophobic, thinks clerical sexual abuse doesnt happen in Africa).

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Majorian posted:

Whenever I do this I shout "PRAXIS!" like Ryu shouting "SHORYUKEN!"

parrying every hit of chun-li's super? praaaaaaaaaaaxissssss

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

he also was there as a marked "gently caress you" to benedict and company, whose fuckups had made them no friends among their ostensible allies

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Did the nazis lose yet?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

Did the nazis lose yet?

you're going to have to be a lot more specific

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

thatfatkid posted:

Did the nazis lose yet?

they won ww2, what makes you think they'll lose this lil thing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Azathoth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp9pyMqnBzk

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The real issue with steam locomotives is they need like an order of magnitude more maintenance per mile traveled than diesel which requires a skilled labor force. Good thing they aren't operating under any manpower constraints

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

PERUN (Goldblumishly): "Uh, now,

you do plan to eventually have BLOOD, in your, uh, BLOOD OFFERING, right?

HALLO?" *taps on firmament*

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
What's with all the windmills?

These fellas DUTCH?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do you think we'll get any Russian operators in Modern Warfare 2 or are games staying away from Russians because of real-world events?

quote:

Wouldn't it be nice to skullfuck some russians in mp

quote:

gently caress russian operators. Can we get some Ukranian operators. All royalties to the ukraine 🇺🇦

quote:

Well we have a Chinese operator and they're genociding muslims and killing their own people so not sure why a Russian would be out of order.

quote:

They didn't add any Nazi operators to Vanguard, so they're not going to add any Russian operators to this game.

quote:

I want Andrew Tate as Operator

quote:

Add Ukranian, Kazakh, Finnish operators instead tbqh.

___

quote:

I wonder if the Russian forces in the next game will be realistic to what they have shown the past few months, kind of hard to believe Russia can compete with the 141/US when they are getting stomped by Ukraine right now.

quote:

My question is, are they avoiding Russia because their inclusion hits too close to home or because they don’t look like a credible threat to the West anymore?

quote:

Who would want to be a Russian operator? According to r/UkraineWarVideoReport and r/combatfootage they just get grenades dropped on them by drones, and all they want to do is drink vodka and steal washing machines.

quote:

After seeing what the real Russian army can do, I'm not sure they count as a military. They are just bad at everything.

quote:

Idk how many CoD players want to play as a starving terrorist with 3 bullets and a gunshot wound.

quote:

Igor shows up with a pot belly, tampons, and no socks. Also, punchable helmet. It’s unrealistic to expect some amazing military figures in Russian uniforms at this point.

quote:

I used to think the Russian military was legit legit. I’d rather not have conscript operators.

quote:

We need Russian operators so we can all have target practice.

quote:

I don't think there'll be any Russian operators because it's unrealistic to portray the Russian military as being able to afford the equipment to field an elite special ops team. Unless we get a 56-year-old turnip farmer named Igor and are forced to use only a special variant of the AK that's rusted and has an RNG chance to jam or explode and kill you, I think it'd be too immersion-breaking.

quote:

Make a badass Ukrainian operator, and then make a weak giggle poo poo, overweight drunkard Russian one for the realism.

quote:

Hopefully we get some realistic ones that aren't equipped with armor, helmets, or socks

___

quote:

I mean no disrespect, but has COD ever care about politics?

___

quote:

Ya'll geniuses realise that if it comes to IRL events we should block America from every single loving shooter out there? The American government has been commiting war crimes from WW2 and until now (in modern history, lets not touch the Native American genocide and such seas of blood). Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Afganistan, Iraq, Yemen, and many more. So we either exclude countries that actively take part in Imperialist agression like England, America, Russia etc etc etc, or we don't comment on political events on our loving video games.

Now if one country is present and one is not, then maybe some of you should think that, just PERHAPS, you are being fed propaganda and shown perspectives fitting some kinda narrative.

Please, for the love of God, be objective for once.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

the russian operator would be too powerful on release because of their blood fury, hardiness, and command passives making them excellent for melee and pet classes alike

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

russians don’t need ballistic helmets

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

speng31b posted:

When you think about it, transubstantiation is just voring Jesus

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Are they called vatniks because they come from the spawning vats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gradenko I am sorry but I don't trust your giant reposts anymore.