Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

IIRC, one of the old EU books revealed that the brain jar spiders were actually monks who shed their bodies to help them reach enlightenment or something. Why they chose to reside in Jabba's palace of all places, I don't remember.

It was their monastery to begin with, Jabba took it over and left them alone, both sides basically ignored each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jabba just has a real passion for preserving people in and around his walls.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hulk Krogan posted:

IIRC, one of the old EU books revealed that the brain jar spiders were actually monks who shed their bodies to help them reach enlightenment or something. Why they chose to reside in Jabba's palace of all places, I don't remember.

Jabba brought good comedy nights and lots of bass to rattle the ol’ fluids

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Hulk Krogan posted:

if you can meditate around Salacious B. Crumb you can do it anywhere

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
gently caress, imagine all the DeviantArt people who lost their livelihood when Luke killed him.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Vernii posted:

It was their monastery to begin with, Jabba took it over and left them alone, both sides basically ignored each other.

And then after he died they went on a brain-shucking spree and threw Bib Fortuna's brain into one of the spider droids.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

New Larry out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

if you can meditate around Salacious B. Crumb you can do it anywhere

I can certainly see them appreciating the challenge.

That probably should have been in Book of Boba Fett, which I presume it wasn't. Just spending half the time finding all the weird poo poo in Jabba's palace everyone took for granted.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Joan posted:

New Larry out

It rules how even people as talented and creative as auralnauts, who've been doing amazing things for years now, couldn't turn obi wan into much more than filler that gets us to a point we were already in by the time of "Laser Moon Awakens"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I'm sorry, you mean this Padme?

You may not be able to discuss sexuality, but let's not forget that this was one of the few costumes designed by George himself, that absolute horndog. It's definitely there.

(I also find it funny that this is the outfit Padme wears for her, "We shouldn't do the sexy stuff" conversation. Like, I get that she's conflicted, but it's laying it on a bit thick.)

This is such a good shot. The scarf reminiscent of a gloved hand and the fireplace foreshadows Mustafar, just great little storytelling without anything having to be said.

Caught up on Andor and its so funny that the best piece of Star Wars to come out of disney was the spin-off about the loser from Rogue one no one cared about, while Obi-Wan was instantly forgettable.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

This is such a good shot. The scarf reminiscent of a gloved hand and the fireplace foreshadows Mustafar, just great little storytelling without anything having to be said.

Caught up on Andor and its so funny that the best piece of Star Wars to come out of disney was the spin-off about the loser from Rogue one no one cared about, while Obi-Wan was instantly forgettable.

How dare you, people will forever remember Obi-Wan for being such cheap-looking trash, also nobody can catch Leia.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't think I'll never not be salty about how bad the Obi-Wan show turned out. I'm now stuck forever wondering what if that miniseries had been given the same amount of care Andor did. Being robbed of flashback episodes with Hayden and Ewan in live-action Clone Wars-era armor interacting with live-action Ahsoka? That poo poo gets me tilted as gently caress, lol.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i for one am glad the political drama about a growing insurgency is more of a success than the nostalgia retread

wait, is it? does disney publish viewer numbers or whatever? absolutely not, right

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Am I alone in thinking that Andor is pretty slow? I'm on like episode 5 or 6 and there's been a lot of hanging around. Not many aliens, not a lot of action, almost no weird mysticism. I really like the empire stuff, and the main heist is compelling. I'm just sort of hoping the back half has a bit higher tempo.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They bragged about obi wan being the most watched disney plus original ever, and andor hasn't gotten any bragging that I'm aware of. That said I'm sure any stats they to choose to crow about are cherry picked if not extremely suspect

https://collider.com/obi-wan-kenobi-most-watched-original-series-disney-plus/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

well why not posted:

Am I alone in thinking that Andor is pretty slow? I'm on like episode 5 or 6 and there's been a lot of hanging around. Not many aliens, not a lot of action, almost no weird mysticism. I really like the empire stuff, and the main heist is compelling. I'm just sort of hoping the back half has a bit higher tempo.

Episode 6 has some mysticism and a lot of action.

Based on the first 9 episodes I don't think the overall pace and structure of the show (a set of ~3 episode arcs) is going to change though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They've explicitly said season 2 will be four 3-episode arcs, one per year. The rest of this one is the end of a 3-part arc next week, then 11-12 as a two-part arc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So, 3 episodes per year, for 4 years?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

well why not posted:

No, I've only seen the first six episodes and it's slow. There's a lot of good about it, but there are fundamental structural problems in those episodes that it's not interested in solving.

well why not posted:

Naur, one year in universe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

It's one season, but each arc will have a year of time between them in setting, with the series ending right where Rogue One starts.

Anecdotal but I know a few people who loved Obi-Wan a lot and thought Andor was slow, but the Aldhani arc like a switch was flipped and the same people think it's like the best thing original thing you can see on Disney+ and one of the top Star Wars things ever. I think on some level the way the first three episodes are broken up did throw people off a bit, like talking about the show with folks now it's like everything about what the show wants to accomplish, the performances, the writing, all clicked for people with episodes 4/5/6.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 7, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the pacing is a valid thing to bounce off of, similar to people who just can't accept "adult star wars" as a premise.

The way the arcs were broken up into episodes does the show no favors for sure. But other than that problem I don't think it's a flaw in the construction of the show so much as it goes against your star wars expectations, be they good or ill. There are lots of shows regarded as classics where andor's pace would feel brisk in comparison, but those aren't stars war

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

the first star war gets incredibly slow once the droids land on tatooine

i was hooked on andor in the first five minutes. rewatched the first 3 episodes this weekend and they're even better than i remembered.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think it's good, don't get me wrong, it's just there's a lot of downtime. Not really bouncing off of it, more that I'm just anticipating it ramping up.

Ash1138 posted:

the first star war gets incredibly slow once the droids land on tatooine

it has 1970s pacing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I really love 1970s pacing and wish it would come back to mainstream cinema

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

The way the arcs were broken up into episodes does the show no favors for sure. But other than that problem I don't think it's a flaw in the construction of the show so much as it goes against your star wars expectations, be they good or ill.

Nah, it goes against basic principles of how to structure an episode full stop. In the first six (again, the only ones I've seen) episodes often just stop without coming to a distinct climax, or thesis statement. You couldn't show someone, say, episode two, or episode four, and expect them to feel like a single satisfying chunk of something, while with many serialised stories you very much could.

It has nothing to do with my expectations of Star Wars so much as my understanding of how to structure a serialised story in multiple instalments.

Compare / contrast with something like The Wire or Deadwood, which are highly serialised, classically respected serialised television, but with distinct episodic narrative conceits, structures, etc.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 7, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’d be fine if they just released these as one feature-length episode every three weeks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Barry Foster posted:

I really love 1970s pacing and wish it would come back to mainstream cinema
I wish 1970s editing would come back to mainstream cinema.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Weird scene transitions need to come back to mainstream cinema.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Andor: The Feature Cuts, a fan edit where each 3 episode arc is edited into one feature, where the transition between each episode is just a star wipe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

General Dog posted:

I’d be fine if they just released these as one feature-length episode every three weeks.

It's fine the way it is. There's so much to discuss after every episode that each arc being out all at once would ruin discussion. You'd skip over stuff and focus on the climax of each arc.

I think this same argument came up during like Better Call Saul or something - people wanted everything all at once and hated the slow unravelling.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

well why not posted:

it has 1970s pacing

Interestingly, his 1970's Hollywood friends also complained about it (specifically that it took nearly 20 minutes for the movie to introduce the protagonist), so he begrudgingly shot a couple of scenes with Luke and his friends to intercut with the droid stuff, only to end up cutting it all out.

Apparently what happened was that once the story was taken off the page (where the reader could work through it at their own pace) and put up on screen, all the new weird poo poo the movie threw at the audience was a little overwhelming and they needed a break to sort of acclimatize to the world that was being presented to them. Lucas mentioned in one of the movie's commentary tracks that the pacing seems so slow now only because everyone's already familiar with the movie and the universe it takes place in, and don't need the same amount of time to get used to things.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

It did make me wonder if they actually planned to do this earlier on like how some BBC shows are paced/released.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

just call this new cartoon AshoKaKaMelon!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

well why not posted:

it has 1970s pacing

Funny, because I know at the time one of the main praise and criticisms alike about the original Star Wars -was- that it was considered extremely fast paced, which was so new and different to an audience largely used to films being slow paced affairs. It literally launches you right into the action with no prior context and establishes it's story and world building through distinct and clear visual action. It's one of the films best triumphs - and it's hard to remember now that we've seen decades of films that emulate the 'blockbuster' format, and various supplementary Star Wars content featuring the same characters and world that we're all used to.

I remember seeing an interview with George Lucas many years later where he explained that many of his fast paced action shots came from a desire to cover up the rough edges, given films like 2001 revelled in their high level of craftsmanship, with incredibly detailed spaceship modelling and special effects that the then nascent ILM couldn't match.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

teagone posted:

I don't think I'll never not be salty about how bad the Obi-Wan show turned out. I'm now stuck forever wondering what if that miniseries had been given the same amount of care Andor did. Being robbed of flashback episodes with Hayden and Ewan in live-action Clone Wars-era armor interacting with live-action Ahsoka? That poo poo gets me tilted as gently caress, lol.

I haven't watched obishow yet (I'm slightly curious with how awful it sounds) but it's a mistake to assume that the quality of a given tv show or movie hinges on the Care Levels of the people involved. The filmmakers of Obiwan probably cared as much if not more than Andor's! But if they don't understand the characters of Obi or Vader, or how to light a scene, well

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I feel like stateside Star Wars and Marvel shows get sloppier with their Volume work as they go on. I wouldn't be surprised if there's pressure on the directors and production team to use the fancy new toy in the studio

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

High Warlord Zog posted:

I feel like stateside Star Wars and Marvel shows get sloppier with their Volume work as they go on. I wouldn't be surprised if there's pressure on the directors and production team to use the fancy new toy in the studio

its gotta be a mix of like the limited number of volume sets and the fact that they are being over booked causing productions to basically have to rush usage of them. if you have a very good idea of how to work it then you can make a great shot but if you're showing up without a plan and you have like a week of shooting to do we end up with obiwan where every volume scene was just an obvious circle floor with very little set dressing to disguise it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I really think a lot of how Obi-Wan turned out (aside from the script-level stuff that had already been festering for a few years) came down to Deborah Chow being the director for every episode. For a show that has the scale of a Star Wars production, I don't think any one person could adequately stay on top of the whole thing and deliver something exceptional. In the making-of series for The Mandalorian, there's an episode where they talk about the process of actually making the episodes, and they had the individual episode directors working with motion capture performers to start putting together previs while other episodes were shooting. Deborah Chow specifically talks about having 2 months of prep for one of her episodes, when usually she only gets 8-9 days.

Something like that only works when you have multiple directors working on the show - there's no schedule in the world that would allow her to spend 2 months prepping the shoot for each episode, and the time she did get would have been split between filming the current episode, prepping the next episode, and starting post-production on the one that just wrapped. It also didn't help that the show apparently only had 4 months of principal photography for something with a total runtime of 228 minutes. The Rise of Skywalker got 6 months and turned out the way it did, so Chow must have been racing just to get the thing done.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I started Rogue One with my son yesterday.
We're about 50 minutes in, so Andor and Jynn have been captured by Saw. But we haven't discovered the pilot yet.
Those first 50 minutes really rush by fast, maybe a little too fast, but it's good. But you're never getting bored here.
K is still awesome. "Monks" are kinda cool.
It's fun rewatching this while also watching Andor. Diego is apparently a pretty good actor and now knowing what happened in the past actually makes his performance here make more sense.
There's something that feels off about Jynn's performance though, but I'm not sure what. It seems a little flat? Or by the numbers? :confused: Like you're seeing that someone is actually acting as the character instead of being the character?
Krennic is also so good and you can honestly see quite a bit of Krennic in the security force guy in Andor.

My son meanwhile had a bunch of fun moments in this movie.
Rogue One has a bunch of really amazing shots in there.
Despite the lack of opening crawl, the opening immediately drew his attention where they pan over those planetary rings. "Are those planetary rings or is that a huge fleet?" :aaa:
But also the shot of the Star Destroyer before zooming out and seeing the Death Star loom in the background. The cool part is that they do a great job at implying the size of the destroyer, but as they zoom out they don't actually show that it's the Death Star yet. Which hilariously, lead to my son wondering out loud what that HUGE ship behind the Star Destroyer was. :suspense:
After that zoom shot we're reintroduced to Tarkin, who he recognized. And it's only after that we see the Death Star in it's entirety, at which point it clicked with my son that it was THE Death Star. :aaa:
It's weird how some shots are so unassuming, yet somehow managed to become recognizable and iconic. Like the Yavin guy in the lookout in A New Hope, which also elicited a response. "Hey! It's that guy on Yavin!"
And even those 2 guys they bump into at Jedha. "Hey, wasn't that the guy who was wanted in 5 galaxies?" :ohdear:
Bor Gullet got a nice "oh crap" out of him.

Contrast these responses to the all important dice in TLJ or the dumb rear end medal Chewie got in ROTS. Hell, even the lightsaber reveal didn't get as much response as the callbacks here. There's good fan service and cameo's and there's dumb poo poo.

K2SO unsurprisingly amuses him and he doubted whether his delivery of "congratulations you're being rescued" was actually genuine. :)

And no, he hasn't commented on CG Tarkin and I'm not probing him until it's over.

Basically, I'm having a good time watching a fun movie with my son. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Huh

https://twitter.com/JP_GHIBLI/status/1590720957676949504