Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It feels like the Okumura fight would be easier on Merciless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It is!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Artelier posted:

P5R in comparison to vanilla P5 - Did they change the Okumura fight? That felt way harder than what I remembered the original being.

They changed all the boss fights to some degree.

Reik posted:

It feels like the Okumura fight would be easier on Merciless.

Technically, Merciless is easier than Normal if you know what you are doing

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Flair posted:

I don't think you're right here. Diving through a palace is easier because you kill the enemies before they get to hit back, but the boss fights are mostly (with the exceptions of Madarame, Okumura, and Maruki much harder because they don't have weaknesses and you can't technical them. But your party members have weaknesses and take 60% more incoming damage while only doing 65% of baseline.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

neonchameleon posted:

I don't think you're right here. Diving through a palace is easier because you kill the enemies before they get to hit back, but the boss fights are mostly (with the exceptions of Madarame, Okumura, and Maruki much harder because they don't have weaknesses and you can't technical them. But your party members have weaknesses and take 60% more incoming damage while only doing 65% of baseline.

Like I said, it's about "if you know what you are doing." Even without the technical and weaknesses, the other bosses aren't that much harder, and some of the optimal strategies still work. You generally have to be a higher level to fight the bosses than if you are on Normal or Hard, but Merciless makes most other fights easier and reward more money and exp. This balance makes so that Merciless is not a category for speedrunning this game, as it is considered easy. Though if the restraints are that you have to be the same level and/or are going into the battle without any foreknowledge, then that's when Merciless is actually merciless.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I just got pass my first boss fight(or subboss figh?). I'm REALLY liking it, but holy hell did this game have a lot of DLC.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Is it better to equip team glasses for the EX or ARM PC for the stat boost?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lammasu posted:

Is it better to equip team glasses for the EX or ARM PC for the stat boost?

I recommend neither because the dlc stuff is very good and it's basically end game equipment on day one.
Same reason you shouldn't take the free izangi piccolo

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So it's 6/20 and I unlocked Akechi's SL but I haven't seen him at the Darts place yet at night? I read in the guide that he could be there any day except Sunday.

Usually, I try to rush the palaces in 1-2 days unless the game stops me for plot reasons, and spend the remainder of time grinding stats which I need Kindness and Charm to 3 soon.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

HootTheOwl posted:

I recommend neither because the dlc stuff is very good and it's basically end game equipment on day one.

What's an izangi piccolo?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah one of the accessories is like a 40% HP boost which is basically endgame gear level

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

So it's 6/20 and I unlocked Akechi's SL but I haven't seen him at the Darts place yet at night? I read in the guide that he could be there any day except Sunday.

Usually, I try to rush the palaces in 1-2 days unless the game stops me for plot reasons, and spend the remainder of time grinding stats which I need Kindness and Charm to 3 soon.

You want to use a guide with Akechi's link as I remember it being weird. Mostly I remember it being that it advances when he texts you to ask to hang out.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Mid game equipment at best. I think the camera strap is the best of them and I don't think it's much actually better than the SP Adhesive 3s you can buy - and you can buy one SP adhesive for yourself for the second palace and three more for the third. The ARM PCs would be almost useless in the endgame but are really good in the first and possibly second palace.

Now I come to think of it the St Hermelin badges are legitimate endgame equipment, but they are utterly useless until about the fourth palace and you don't get the party members they're useful on until very late anyway.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Why would you need SP Adhesives 3 anyways, with the Mementos changes I was always drowning in SP restoring items even without going on a vending machine looting spree.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm using a guide because I want to get all the content, but it doesn't assume you have the DLC. Any particular thing I should do with this 100K yen?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lammasu posted:

I'm using a guide because I want to get all the content, but it doesn't assume you have the DLC. Any particular thing I should do with this 100K yen?

I think some content is locked behind Ng+

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Should I be alarmed Yusuke is a lobster boy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Better than him having crabs

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lobster's overrated anyway. for the same price, I could be feasting on 3x the weight in mussels/pen shells.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alder posted:

He'll eventually show up. Just be aware that you need Charm 3 for an early rank with him, then Knowledge 4 for another one. Also there's a long stint in his confidant where he can't be advanced and if you catch him out in the wild he'll brush you off saying he's too busy to hang out.

Also he's one of the only confidants where some events are daytime, and others nighttime. So always check to see if he's there in either slot. One rank in particular he will show up in Leblanc at night and you have to talk to him while he's sitting there to advance.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ugh I screwed myself by not doing enough Temperance before Summer Vacation and couldn't trigger her Request until I got back to school. Truly the worst.

Also I finally got 2 Auto-Ma skills on a Persona, just gotta find Auto-Masu now!

I wonder if Seth is a good Gun Persona, I used him as one in Strikers but I'm not sure if he fits the bill in the mainline game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Royal makes it pretty trivial to teach basically any persona any skill you want, so he can be!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dying because the item that says "prevent one attack" didn't prevent one attack
-Me, getting big banged

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ugh I screwed myself by not doing enough Temperance before Summer Vacation and couldn't trigger her Request until I got back to school. Truly the worst.

That happened to me on the PS4 run and I was so pissed off. I thought I had more time but nope, screwed myself over and had to play catch up.

This run on the switch has been so much smoother. About to go on the class trip and I have almost all my social stats maxed. Kindness and knowledge as always are such a drat grind to max out.

Also as mentioned above you can build any persona to pretty much whatever you want within reason. the only limit to your builds are your wallet, time constraints, and your willingness to play around with the compendium and fusion alarms. My last playthrough I turned Fortuna into a level 99 max in all stats with all the wind enhancers just because I love her design. She made it with me all the way to the end. If you want to turn Seth into the best gun persona you can build it can definitely be done

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Royal makes it pretty trivial to teach basically any persona any skill you want, so he can be!

Yeah honestly, I think Royal is the first game where I'm legit enjoying the fusion process because of the Alarm and the all the QOL stuff.

Like P5 had Skill Cards too but I feel more compelled to use them in Royal, and the Alarm Strengthening is some neat poo poo. I never really built Personas in previous games (other than maybe the standard 4-element Lillim and 4-element, uh, one of the angels, in P4 early game) but I've been trying to make more stuff to use, especially since Merciless means I have to be more careful about taking hits.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also I finally got 2 Auto-Ma skills on a Persona, just gotta find Auto-Masu now!

I wonder if Seth is a good Gun Persona, I used him as one in Strikers but I'm not sure if he fits the bill in the mainline game.

Meh, Temperance is a lot less important in Royal since you can do room stuff after Metaverse by default. Her time saves come before her request cutoff now so I had no issue taking her slow.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
It's taking me awhile to get though Palaces because I keep trying on costumes. Also, they go to school on Saturdays in Japan?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lammasu posted:

It's taking me awhile to get though Palaces because I keep trying on costumes. Also, they go to school on Saturdays in Japan?

Most schools in Japan don't actually have class on Saturday these days, from what I've read, but Persona still does it for some reason

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lammasu posted:

Asia. Well, Korea too, at least.

It's a half-day though not a full day.

Actually I'm not sure if Korea has school on weekends these days.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What is everyone's favorite costumes in p5 royal?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like that the costumes are used in the collab attacks, too bad they're not used for finishers / anything Futaba does.

Spiffster posted:

That happened to me on the PS4 run and I was so pissed off. I thought I had more time but nope, screwed myself over and had to play catch up.

This run on the switch has been so much smoother. About to go on the class trip and I have almost all my social stats maxed. Kindness and knowledge as always are such a drat grind to max out.

Also as mentioned above you can build any persona to pretty much whatever you want within reason. the only limit to your builds are your wallet, time constraints, and your willingness to play around with the compendium and fusion alarms. My last playthrough I turned Fortuna into a level 99 max in all stats with all the wind enhancers just because I love her design. She made it with me all the way to the end. If you want to turn Seth into the best gun persona you can build it can definitely be done

Neato!

But also remembered that I need Seth to have a specific skill for Strength confidant so I guess I'll hafta find something that doesn't need to use up a skill slot.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 7, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I like that the costumes are used in the collab attacks, too bad they're not used for finishers / anything Futaba does.

Neato!

But also remembered that I need Seth to have a specific skill for Strength confidant so I guess I'll hafta find something that doesn't need to use up a skill slot.
High counter.
I did it with ose during an alarm

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flair posted:

It depends. Some enemies have no weaknesses, and those can be really bad before you manage to eliminate all weaknesses on your Joker.

Up until that point, enemies can one-shot Joker (maybe a full debuff/buff suite could prevent this though; I'm not that far on my PC P5R replay, which I'm doing on Merciless just because I did the PS4 one on Hard and want the variety). I had difficulty with Madarame phase 1, because the eyes would kill everyone except Joker on the first turn, unless I got lucky and they missed (and I kinda abused Kaguya's AoE multihit Light attack to get rid of then quickly, just because they would chain kill everyone but Joker as soon as it reached their turn - I normally avoid the DLC personas, but was stuck on that fight).

It makes most enemies easier, though enemies with clear weaknesses were kinda always easy, even on Hard (P5 just isn't a very hard game, outside of challenge stuff). Ones without weaknesses (or with weaknesses I couldn't exploit, like Shiki Ouji when I first encountered him and didn't have Frei on anyone) were tougher, since they almost always one-shot you if they hit weaknesses.

Edit: Also, even though it was a zillion pages ago, I wanted to mention that I was totally wrong when I was saying the stuff about most of the party's experiences not being that bad compared with Yoshizawa's
Now that I'm replaying, I had completely forgotten stuff like Yusuke being abused since his childhood and finding out his foster father effectively killed his mom, or Ryuji growing up in a household with an abusive alcoholic father. While Yoshizawa's situation was kind of shockingly awful (beyond what you'd normally see in a game like this), you can't really compare things like that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Madarame killed me like 4, 5 times in a row until I decided to start the battle off by using Neo Cadenza and that skill saved me because it let my team dodge the all-target attacks long enough for me to kill his 1st phase.

Second hardest fight in the game.

(Hardest is the red mook Take-Minazaka or whatever its name is from the Bank.)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't got around to actually starting P5R on PC again but it feels like the lack of a console-style quick suspend is going to be a real pain in the rear end. Anybody dealing with obnoxiously long stretches between save points?

Rumor has it that a quick suspend feature is being added to P4G in the game itself so we'll see, hopefully they'll patch it into P5R as well. There's a decent amount of activity in the steamdb QA depots for both games at the moment.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lammasu posted:

What is everyone's favorite costumes in p5 royal?

Shadow Ops. I personally think the accompanying theme is the best out of the DLC options, and I kinda like having the PTs look like professionals.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Itemise Jatau under a fusion alarm.

quote:

For the level you get Seth very. He has One Shot Kill which is the best single target gun skill in the game, and Gun Amp which is the best gun boost skill in the game. That's almost an endgame level setup. You can also itemise White Rider for Gun Boost and Shiki-Ouji for Triple Down to give you an AoE.

Seth's only weakness as a gun persona at his level is significant however. No Null/Drain/Repel Phys which means if you target badly or get unlucky into a counter you'll be the one taking that damage. Oh, and Bless is one of the bigger problems as a weakness because you take the instakills to it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FWIW I did the exact same thing in my playthrough and still managed to max every confidant possible prior to January.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I spent too much time chilling with Yusuke and Ryuji during the summer vacation that my Charm was my first maxed stat (because I decided stats were preferable to curry/coffee and it felt mighty un-bro-like to kick your buds out after spending the afternoon with them).

Basically, Joker's a himbo now.

(Am I using that word right.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

For the level you get Seth very. He has One Shot Kill which is the best single target gun skill in the game, and Gun Amp which is the best gun boost skill in the game. That's almost an endgame level setup. You can also itemise White Rider for Gun Boost and Shiki-Ouji for Triple Down to give you an AoE.

Seth's only weakness as a gun persona at his level is significant however. No Null/Drain/Repel Phys which means if you target badly or get unlucky into a counter you'll be the one taking that damage. Oh, and Bless is one of the bigger problems as a weakness because you take the instakills to it.

Yeah Seth is a decent mid to late game Gun persona, but for weakness coverage, you might want something like this for the endgame: