Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

And dual-booting is superior to VMs. :smug:

And two computers is superior to dual-booting. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comatoast posted:

I promptly gave up on WSL when none of the systemd commands worked. A vm is superior in every way.

This is apparently something fixed in the latest updates. Might be W11-unique yet again though. :argh:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xzzy posted:

And two computers is superior to dual-booting. :smug:

And two dual-booting computers are superior to one. :smug: :smug: :smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't that a quad boot because in that event you have four computing combinations available.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

At one point I was running a triple-boot with Windows, Linux, and BSD. :2bong:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On of these days I will be brave enough to try maining Debian Hurd on a desktop.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At one point I was running a triple-boot with Windows, Linux, and BSD. :2bong:

I did once manage to stuff Windows (98? 2000?), FreeBSD, some linux, QNX and BeOS on one machine. Borked the partition table trying to install Solaris 8, IIRC.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I feel like at some point you just have a bunch of drives and a usb stick with grub on it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ventoy and just live your life with persistence layers from live systems.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Well, upon doing more research, it looks like it's either dual boot or Linux only. Very sad that I can't passthrough my GPU to the VM and still have the base OS not have a fit. I'll try the dual boot since I'll have two NVMes but if it's a hassle as some say then I'm ditching Windows entirely.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For what it's worth, I finally got around to building my secondary desktop last night and set it up as a dual-boot like usual. The only hiccup was that the built-in wireless on the new motherboard didn't work in OpenSUSE 15.4, which I determined was because it uses an older kernel. Reinstalled using Tumbleweed and everything worked fine.

If you're doing a fresh install of each just be aware you want to install Windows first, then install Linux completely on the second drive. You can then set that drive to be first in the boot order and set GRUB to default to one or the other. There were issues with Windows updates a couple years ago where it would freak out if it wasn't the primary boot drive, but I haven't seen that happen in a while. Apologies if this is redundant advice, but being careful in the initial setup can save a lot of headaches down the road. Hell, back in the day I used to physically unplug the drives to make sure things were only going where I wanted them to.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Windows sometimes gets annoyed and requires the bitlocker recovery key when a linux update changes anything on a shared UEFI boot partition - the easiest workaround is to give them their own UEFI partitions, one per drive. Or disable bitlocker, I guess.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Computer viking posted:

Windows sometimes gets annoyed and requires the bitlocker recovery key when a linux update changes anything on a shared UEFI boot partition - the easiest workaround is to give them their own UEFI partitions, one per drive. Or disable bitlocker, I guess.

Disabling Bitlocker solved all my pre-WSL boot issues in one swipe.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hell, back in the day I used to physically unplug the drives to make sure things were only going where I wanted them to.

I did this when I first installed Garuda as it was doing some funky things with my other two attached drives at the time. I'll assume that Manjaro does the same and only have the one drive I want it on connected.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Twerk from Home posted:

I am a masochist who is posting this from a brand new SFF build with a smaller than stock cooler, and I'm wanting to monitor temperatures as I dial in power / fan curves.

What's your favorite hardware temperature monitor overlay that works well on Ubuntu? I'm looking for a small overlay in the corner that shows just the basics: temperature and ideally package power. I don't need detail.

For GNOME I like Vitals. Not an overlay but you can pin whatever sensors to the top bar and have the rest in the pull down menu
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1460/vitals/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So I have a data storage partition (named data). For many years on windows I used basic ntfs mirroring for redundancy. When I moved to Linux I moved all that data over to a btrfs volume. I've successfully figured out snapshots and backups with btrfs send | btrfs receive, all has been good.

Since I'm now finishing up the "I'm not going back to windows" cleanup and storage removal, I have the space to mirror my data again. I did that following the docs, and I'm pretty sure that all worked fine:
code:
sudo btrfs filesystem show
Label: 'Data'  uuid: 3cf03e75-567a-490c-b9a4-f0bb3b0ed3d2
        Total devices 2 FS bytes used 213.18GiB
        devid    1 size 500.00GiB used 215.03GiB path /dev/nvme0n1p2
        devid    2 size 500.00GiB used 215.03GiB path /dev/sda1
The weird thing is, the OS is now auto-mounting "Data", "Data1", and "Data2" to /run/media/myuser/ as well as my fstab mount on /home/data.

Uhh, what? Is this a problem? "Data1" and "Data2" are from the 2 different devs, so if something happens to write to one of them I worry that will gently caress up the mirror. Or are these fake, and any writes will be properly interpreted by the btrfs system?

(also how can I make it not do that)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Klyith posted:

So I have a data storage partition (named data). For many years on windows I used basic ntfs mirroring for redundancy. When I moved to Linux I moved all that data over to a btrfs volume. I've successfully figured out snapshots and backups with btrfs send | btrfs receive, all has been good.

Since I'm now finishing up the "I'm not going back to windows" cleanup and storage removal, I have the space to mirror my data again. I did that following the docs, and I'm pretty sure that all worked fine:
code:
The weird thing is, the OS is now auto-mounting "Data", "Data1", and "Data2" to /run/media/myuser/ as well as my fstab mount on /home/data.

Uhh, what? Is this a problem? "Data1" and "Data2" are from the 2 different devs, so if something happens to write to one of them I worry that will gently caress up the mirror. Or are these fake, and any writes will be properly interpreted by the btrfs system?

take a look at subvolumes

btrfs does some crazy poo poo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RFC2324 posted:

take a look at subvolumes

code:
~ > sudo btrfs subvolume list /home/data
ID 257 gen 4514 top level 5 path .snapshots
ID 258 gen 4471 top level 257 path .snapshots/2022-11-02
Only the snapshots, which aren't getting mounted by themselves. I made the partition manually while setting everything up and didn't know what I was doing, so it had no subvolumes until I made the snapshot one.

RFC2324 posted:

btrfs does some crazy poo poo

Yeah, figuring out the hows & whys has been a trip. Good wiki though, so I've been r'ing the fm. This is the first thing I haven't found a quick answer to. I actually think it's really cool though!

I tried converting my / over to btrfs from ext4 and that didn't go as well -- though not because btrfs, and rolling back to ext was instant.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My weird-rear end un-diagnose-able panics that kept happening with Xen and other VM stuff finally went away when I upgraded to kernel 6.x! If anybody else is having problems with Ryzen 2000 series & VMs, give that a shot I guess.

And when I shut down, my machine actually shuts down instead of rebooting! Holy cow, it's a miracle.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
got a freshly built beast of a machine running Arch, and I just added a second 1TB nvme drive.

what's the best way to fully encrypt that drive so it chain loads/ unlocks with the same password I use to decrypt the primary drive at boot?

I'm guessing using a key file somewhere

also, when I shutdown I get a message "stop job for Simple Desktop Display Manager still running" and it takes 90secs to time out and finally shutdown

I found this bug report, which says the problem should have been fixed in plasma 5.24, and I have 5.26

Are there systemd tweaks I could use to fix this? maybe changing the timeout or something?

I guess I could try something other than sddm

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wow, sddm is still alive? I thought everyone used lightdm now.

Be pro and use kdm

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isaboo posted:

also, when I shutdown I get a message "stop job for Simple Desktop Display Manager still running" and it takes 90secs to time out and finally shutdown

Are there systemd tweaks I could use to fix this? maybe changing the timeout or something?

Yep. create new file /etc/systemd/system.conf.d/99-user.conf
code:
[Manager]
# Reduced timeouts to start & kill services
DefaultTimeoutStartSec=60s
DefaultTimeoutStopSec=30s
I'm patient enough for 30 but you could do less if you want.

I have the same SDDM issue occasionally, and from general googling it's a) harmless and b) using lightDM something else with KDE is even more of a pain. For me it only happens once in a while, I think related to my display disconnect/reconnect issues.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Be pro and use kdm

quote:

KDE display manager (KDM) was a display manager (a graphical login program) developed by KDE for the windowing systems X11.
(emphasis mine)

sddm is fine, i have no reason to move to lightdm on my machine. It is still updated, it works, why bother?

edit: and oh, I don't have any issues with sddm, except when updating fedora versions and it points to a non-existent theme, and the entire screen is white. But can log-in and fix it.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 8, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volguus posted:

(emphasis mine)

it was a shitpost. have you not noticed I have a pattern of hilariously outdated or horribly bad suggestions mixed in with actually knowing a occasional fact?

I figured suggesting gdm as an alternate was just too obvious, but I guess I shoulda gone with it

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

have you not noticed I have a pattern of ...

no. for forums users i have the memory span of a goldfish.

edit: actually ... in general i have the memory span of a goldfish. if my wife doesn't write down the grocery list, by the time i get there i completely forgot what i have to buy. unless it's a thing that I need.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 8, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fair. we are shockingly bad at this poo poo as a group

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Klyith posted:

code:

Unrelated, but as I'm not that familiar with RAID, isn't a RAID1 (assuming thats how you're mirroring) gonna be as slow as your slowest drive? Arent you tanking your nvme drives performance?

Vvvv amazing

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ugh, every few (five?) years enough dust collects in floppy drive that Linux thinks there's actually a disk in there and tries to read from it whenever md/lv/whatever tries to scan all block devices. Of course, those read operations timeout, but the timeout is so long that the system effectively freezes and becomes useless in the interim.

Finally today I disconnected my floppy drive.

No, I can't remember the last time I used it. Not since 2010 at least.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volguus posted:

no. for forums users i have the memory span of a goldfish.

edit: actually ... in general i have the memory span of a goldfish. if my wife doesn't write down the grocery list, by the time i get there i completely forgot what i have to buy. unless it's a thing that I need.

RFC2324 posted:

fair. we are shockingly bad at this poo poo as a group

I'm generally pretty good at it, but can still get thrown off when people change their avatars. If they actually change their handle then I struggle way worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Unrelated, but as I'm not that familiar with RAID, isn't a RAID1 (assuming thats how you're mirroring) gonna be as slow as your slowest drive? Arent you tanking your nvme drives performance?

Yep. Unless one has some fancy controller that writes quickly to the fast drive then duplicates the missing data to the other drive as time permits. But I doubt such a thing exists.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ugh, every few (five?) years enough dust collects in floppy drive that Linux thinks there's actually a disk in there and tries to read from it whenever md/lv/whatever tries to scan all block devices. Of course, those read operations timeout, but the timeout is so long that the system effectively freezes and becomes useless in the interim.

Finally today I disconnected my floppy drive.

No, I can't remember the last time I used it. Not since 2010 at least.

I disconnected (didn't connect) the floppy back before 2010 sometime. By 2015 I finally removed it from the case since I found the cover. I have this case since 2009 or so, still going strong through upgrades.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We've seen a handful of servers at work where the fd0 module starts spewing errors.. on systems that have never had a floppy drive installed.

We started blacklisting the module because it's dead tech and the errors were annoying. But it feels like a software bug, something in the latest kernels is tickling it and generating noise.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

In many traditional filesystems or hardware raids, a raid1 mirror set is fast for reads because the system will read from both drives at once. Often it's nearly as fast as a raid0 stripe set. Then for writes it is, as you say, only as fast as the fastest drive. So for read-heavy use case it can actually be a good choice assuming the drive space isn't a problem.

For btrfs, I have no idea if that holds true. Btrfs is doing checksumming and stuff, so I dunno if it does split reads like NTFS and other raid systems. Would that mess with verifying the checksum? No clue! BSD could probably speak to the performance results of zfs in similar situations.

In this specific case, I give zero fucks either way. The nvme drive is very slow for nvme, and sda1 is a 2tb ssd that maxes sata. My data volume has no particular speed requirements. It's mirrored to be the 1st level of protection from hardware failure, because my backups are not continuous.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Be pro and use kdm

Text tty and startx for life

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

cum jabbar posted:

Text tty and startx for life

what is this, 1999?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Volguus posted:

what is this, 1999?

Still works fine, and not having X (or wayland) start automatically is nice if you're trying to get the drivers for your not entirely supported card to work.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Just logging in and typing "sway" (previously "startx") gets me going so fast I never saw a reason to install a DM, but if my distro came with one I'd be fine with that too, it's not really where I spend my computer time.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

what is this, 1999?

DMs have caused me a few problems over the years while solving none. I just don't see the point

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volguus posted:

what is this, 1999?
You'll be happy to know I finally upped the baud rate on my serial console from 9600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Keito posted:

Just logging in and typing "sway" (previously "startx") gets me going so fast I never saw a reason to install a DM, but if my distro came with one I'd be fine with that too, it's not really where I spend my computer time.

until someone presented with a password prompt just hits ctrl+alt+f1 and runs readmail -realfast /*