Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Billy begging to be a developmental is so sad. Billy please make Tyrus NWA champion instead.

quote:

Billy Corgan is open to working with WWE or AEW to help nurture future stars as part of the National Wrestling Alliance.

The Smashing Pumpkins musician and NWA boss has been vocal about his willingness to collaborate with other promotions, and in the past he had discussions with then-NXT boss Triple H – real name Paul Levesque – about getting his promotion on the WWE Network.

He exclusively told Metro.co.uk: ‘It didn’t go anywhere and that was fine – very, very good discussions, very open and cool. They certainly liked what I was trying to do, and they’ve always been cool about what I was doing in the NWA, so I remain optimistic going into the future that there might be some business there to do.’

From Billy’s point of view, that could take the form of NWA serving as almost a developmental brand for certain wrestlers who are struggling for TV time, to help build them into top stars.

He added: ‘There might be economic models where they say, “Take these 10 talent, let us have an oversight position, you help develop these talents. It’d be good for the NWA, it’d be good for the WWE”.

‘There are lots of opportunities there! I would say the same thing even as it pertains to AEW – AEW has a tremendous amount of talent under contract, not everybody is able to be on their main shows, there might be opportunities where they wanna send those people on a developmental level.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

No actually it would rule a lot to send Carmelo Hayes to learn how to hard cam from Bram.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Billy begging to be a developmental is so sad. Billy please make Tyrus NWA champion instead.

It's sad yes, but I suppose it's also a fair reflection on just how much the NWA has fallen in stature and relevance.

It would own if the NWA title ends up being part of a Triple Crown title like All Japan used to have, to be honest.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

"Hey AEW DARK talent, how'd you like to come perform in front of a crowd of tens on a YouTube channel watched by dozens while getting stiffed and buried by Tyrus?"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Nick Aldis is leaving the NWA, it looks like.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

for the love of god Tony restrain yourself

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hope this is just a continuation of the storyline no one gives a poo poo about.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I hope he goes to WWE and feuds with Karrion Kross.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/TheRajGiri/status/1589436236967858176

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

God no he can’t be allowed to escape containment

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
NWA had a nice niche in wrestling that Billy himself leaned into and then failed at capturing any kind of new audience or even at keeping the old people who liked the throwback aesthetic they had.

Hell, looking through the roster it still doesn't even look that bad but I don't care a lot about guys like Aldis, Tim Storm, or Tyrus at all so maybe a developmental wouldn't be all that bad for the NWA

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Ryan Satin creaming himself on twitter as Nick Aldis stares down Cody. Corey Graves on commentary bellows "Nick Aldis has gone All In on the American Nightmare Cody Rhodes." The WWE universe rejoices, praising the revolutionary genius of Papa H, the need for informative video packages and complaints of needing to watch every indie show long forgotten as they collectively pretend to recall their favorite Magnus Moments.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm going to laugh if this is because it's been a year since he's been NWA World Champion.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Of course it is.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Would rather an Aldis Lamp over Nick Aldis

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1589617062322016256

NWA Style: where Tyrus sits on the title for over a year while being a sex pest

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I'm going to laugh if this is because it's been a year since he's been NWA World Champion.

ten points to both of you!

https://twitter.com/RealNickAldis/status/1589664763931684865

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PWInsider posted:

The National Wrestling Alliance issued the following statement to PWInsider.com in the wake of former NWA Champion Nick Aldis announcing on his Instagram that he had given notice to the company and was not happy with the current product:

NWA response to recent statements made by Nick Aldis

Pursuant to the recent comments made by Nick Aldis, the National Wrestling Alliance, has suspended Aldis from the main roster and effective immediately Aldis will not appear for the Hard Times 3 PPV and Revolution Rumble television tapings in New Orleans, LA on Nov. 12, 2022 and Nov. 13, 2022.

As such, the National Wrestling Alliance reserves its right to comment on this matter at a future date.

quote:

After receiving the statement, I reached out to NWA Chief Operating Officer Joe Galli who confirmed that Aldis is under contract through 12/31. Galli stated, on the record, "This is not a wrestling angle."

Galli also noted that he does not yet know how this suspension would impact the promotion's planned TV Tapings in December.

Aldis was scheduled to face Odinson this Saturday at the NWA Hard Times 3 PPV, but that will obviously not be happening. We are told what Odinson will do instead has yet to be determined.

Aldis had been previously pulled from the main event of NWA 74 over the summer. As PWInsider.com reported last night, unless some agreement is made between the two sides, Aldis, a major part of rebranding and relaunching the NWA as an entity, will become a free agent this January.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My "this is not a wrestling angle" shirt, etc etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HHH, sign Nick Aldis

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tag him up with Karrion Kross.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Billy Corgan with some of the best sentences I've read.

quote:

Women, I've been saying it for ten years, I said in Forbes, 'the future of professional wrestling is women.' The business has too long, overlooked, one of the biggest marketing aspects of what makes professional wrestling great. I was Nostradamus about that. I called it early.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1590765391093329921

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I truly do not understand why they can't just say "The show wasn't profitable." instead of constantly saying this poo poo about the talent pool that is obviously going to infuriate everybody.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

I truly do not understand why they can't just say "The show wasn't profitable." instead of constantly saying this poo poo about the talent pool that is obviously going to infuriate everybody.

They tried that and while some of The Podcasters fell for it, opens up many questions because it did multiple times more buys than a typical NWA show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm dumb as hell about NWA stuff but why are they talking about a one off show that happened a year ago instead of the one they're selling Friday/Saturday?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because it’s the NWA

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Nobodies With Attitude

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

I'm dumb as hell about NWA stuff but why are they talking about a one off show that happened a year ago instead of the one they're selling Friday/Saturday?

The impression (and external hope) at the time was it'd be more than a one-off. Corgan made it clear when randomly asked about it early this week that he thinks they need to earn that being the case https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1089473/billy-corgan-questions-if-women-can-wrestle-nwa-style-and-carry-ppv/

As for "the show they're selling Friday/Saturday", that's set to be over 3 hours long easily and has two women's matches scheduled. One of which wasn't even there until days ago despite planning for the event having started almost half a year ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWA_Hard_Times_3

Taryn Terrell asked for her release and retired this week also, but idk if that's related to either of those things or just unique timing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

that's dumb. The show lost money because they flew in a bunch of people and didn't recoup by booking them on secondary shows. If billy wasn't too busy psychologically abusing his bassists, he would go to promoting school.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression is that the timeline of events is:

- Billy was advertising the upcoming show, someone asked him if they’d do another womens show, and he said he’d like to but women aren’t good enough to do it or something.
- Aldis then resigned from NWA blaming disrespect of his wife Mickie James who helped put together the last womens show.
- Billy then said Aldis was just using it as an excuse to justify jumping somewhere else for money. And then everyone in NWA started to defending the company by doubling down on “we love women wrestlers but maybe they all just suck?”

Do I have that mostly right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

My impression is that the timeline of events is:

- Billy was advertising the upcoming show, someone asked him if they’d do another womens show, and he said he’d like to but women aren’t good enough to do it or something.
- Aldis then resigned from NWA blaming disrespect of his wife Mickie James who helped put together the last womens show.
- Billy then said Aldis was just using it as an excuse to justify jumping somewhere else for money. And then everyone in NWA started to defending the company by doubling down on “we love women wrestlers but maybe they all just suck?”

Do I have that mostly right?

Aldis was already having openly public issues with the company and, pre-Corgan's comments this week, went public on the weekend saying his deal was up in January and he was gone when it was. The day Corgan made these comments a) he suspended Aldis (likely in an excuse to extend his contract further; obviously if he's free in January he can be in the Rumble that month, obviously if he's free past January he's available for whenever the AEW UK debut is) and b) Aldis reacted to the Corgan comments by saying this was one of the reasons he'd made up his mind on leaving. Everything else I think is correct

At first I agreed with the people thinking he was just petty over still not being champ for so long, but Mickie genuinely cared a lot about being able to make stuff like EmPowerrr happen, so I can definitely believe that made it easier for him to burn this bridge

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s not like they’re mutually exclusive things. People are always trying to reduce everything and everyone go some simple single issue or black or white thing. If Aldis is unhappy after years there there’s probably a bunch of things he’s unhappy about. Some of that might be petty selfish career ambitions. Some of it might be genuine anger at his wife’s efforts and passions being disrespected. And there’s probably other stuff too. That’s how humans and relationships tend to work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Any financial arguments about Empower must note that it did 3,500 buys while most NWA shows do well under 1,000, I believe closer to 500.

So if Empower is a financial loser literally every NWA show is a much bigger money sink.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Any financial arguments about Empower must note that it did 3,500 buys while most NWA shows do well under 1,000, I believe closer to 500.

So if Empower is a financial loser literally every NWA show is a much bigger money sink.

I tried to find buys or attendance for other recent NWA shows and literally couldn't but when I heard Empower did 3500 and drew 800 I figured there was no way their other shows do better. Seems kinda weird that is the only show that has numbers available.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 11, 2022

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I tried to find buys or attendance for other recent NWA shows and literally couldn't but when I heard Empower did 3500 and drew 800 I figured there was no way their other shows do better. Seems kinda weird that is the only show that has numbers available.

it was the only nwa show anyone has cared or known about for like 7 years

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

It's this, yeah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

This. I explicitly didn't even bother buying the second show even though Fite kept trying to get me to pay for the bundle, because I didn't give a poo poo about Aldis vs Tyrus or whatever the main event was.

(Also I hope Aldis goes to the Fed, because TK hiring him would be a bigger mistake than Jarrett. Yes, I mean it. Jeff at least has some minor value in the office. Aldis can't even do his own finisher correctly and is maybe the most boring wrestler on the planet besides)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

This. I explicitly didn't even bother buying the second show even though Fite kept trying to get me to pay for the bundle, because I didn't give a poo poo about Aldis vs Tyrus or whatever the main event was.

(Also I hope Aldis goes to the Fed, because TK hiring him would be a bigger mistake than Jarrett. Yes, I mean it. Jeff at least has some minor value in the office. Aldis can't even do his own finisher correctly and is maybe the most boring wrestler on the planet besides)

I hope he goes to TNA.

Well what I really hope is that this is all a work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hope he retires just so there’s not even the slightest chance that he ends up in a promotion I might even accidentally watch some day.