Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/pondlifetwit/status/1589313081410457600?s=46&t=5SFIQhL3_hWgGfMHbavWiQ

I think this is being misreported, but only because something similar happened with a Starbucks near my house.

a new Starbucks was going to be built in town at the corner of an intersection. as part of the plan they submitted to the city, they had to show that the drive thru would clear cars at a certain rate and take steps to prevent the cars in the drive thru from spilling into traffic.

they failed completely at implementing every part of that plan. during morning rush hour there were more customers than expected, orders took longer to process which meant cars stacked up deeper and not only did the drive thru line spill out onto the road, the design of it meant that it could gridlock the intersection and cars could become “stuck”in the exit for some time. it was a spectacular failure.

Starbucks excuse was that they would move cars through faster. I’m guessing this city in Connecticut heard the same thing and took it at face value. the Starbucks I’m thinking of eventually just closed their drive thru.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/02/07/starbucks-demolish-snarshall-drive-thru-at-snelling-and-marshall-add-new-pedestrian-patio/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

what the hell is it about Starbucks that breaks peoples brains so badly

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/pondlifetwit/status/1589313081410457600?s=46&t=5SFIQhL3_hWgGfMHbavWiQ

I think this is being misreported, but only because something similar happened with a Starbucks near my house.

a new Starbucks was going to be built in town at the corner of an intersection. as part of the plan they submitted to the city, they had to show that the drive thru would clear cars at a certain rate and take steps to prevent the cars in the drive thru from spilling into traffic.

they failed completely at implementing every part of that plan. during morning rush hour there were more customers than expected, orders took longer to process which meant cars stacked up deeper and not only did the drive thru line spill out onto the road, the design of it meant that it could gridlock the intersection and cars could become “stuck”in the exit for some time. it was a spectacular failure.

Starbucks excuse was that they would move cars through faster. I’m guessing this city in Connecticut heard the same thing and took it at face value. the Starbucks I’m thinking of eventually just closed their drive thru.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/02/07/starbucks-demolish-snarshall-drive-thru-at-snelling-and-marshall-add-new-pedestrian-patio/

starbucks is absolutely notorious for this poo poo. they purchase the tiniest lots possible on main roads and then build cramped, low-capacity drive thrus that completely gently caress up the traffic. they also try to go small business tyrant on the road they've hijacked - my home town's starbucks put up signs basically implying that it was illegal to stand on the sidewalk next to their business despite obviously having no legal legs to stand on lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the richest country in the world can't just give people food. loving garbage rear end country.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

just loving make all school meals free. bing bong so simple. oh boo hoo we have to buy another loving jet that will only serve the purpose of letting dumb assholes jerk themselves off.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

enumerated power to let the children gently caress themselves

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

If you're looking to create maximum atomization you have to start early by showing clearly and materially that nobody cares and nobody will help you.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

pnw applebees

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ArmZ posted:

just loving make all school meals free. bing bong so simple. oh boo hoo we have to buy another loving jet that will only serve the purpose of letting dumb assholes jerk themselves off.

trump made school lunches free, then biden rescinded that

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

the richest country in the world can't just give people food. loving garbage rear end country.

Not people; children.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Spending more money to gently caress over poors is more gdp than spending less money to help poors

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

can’t fit my f350 king ranch tiny dick edition in the drive thru line and screaming at the city council about it!!

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Children don't have any money or property and aren't old enough to vote. Ya gotta pay to play. Capitalism ain't charity, junior :smug:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

Not people; children.

children aren't soylent green?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ArmZ posted:

children aren't soylent green?

Soylent saplings

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://twitter.com/ClayCooper81/status/1589296612807176193?t=xMmt90C-XS-Vw283l8hcWA&s=19

This is the problem with Libertarians in general, their brain just terminates at "well its the parents responsibility, not mine". Never a systemic issue, merely an individual one. But as people in the replies kept repeating, blame whoever you want but the kid is still hungry.

The other refrain I'll see is "the free lunches were gross and nobody was eating them" but the solution to that is never "make them better". And you know, even if you DID pull that off then they would just attack it for being an exorbitant excess-"can you believe these deadbeat kids are getting STEAK AND LOBSTER every day on taxpayer dime?" so there's no winning.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Professor Shark posted:

You should see the Chik Fil A near my office. They have cars coming into the drive through from 3 directions, and it backs up, even with two lanes. Unlike Starbucks, however, they have pimple faced teenagers out there directing traffic so, blocked or not, the road gets cleared relatively quickly.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Professor Shark posted:

400-800 calories of caffiene & sugar directly to your dome every morning

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Never mind. I'm not even going to get into this.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Mushika posted:

Ok

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Mushika posted:

fast edit, nice

its dutch bros causing chaos here in OR btw

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

starbucks is disgusting. coffee and the sugar drinks. I don't mind their espresso so I get americanos, the cold brew is OK too

it's truly garbage tier stuff I cannot understand the global obsession, usually there's some truth to the big brands doing something but it's just repuslive

I'm not a diabetic tho and sugar is addictive. they are pushing the sugar stuff hard and people want like "3 pumps of caramel flavor" in their mocciatoo

they also got rid of the chorizo, their only palatable food (the spice hids the fact that its sub gas station reheated breakfast burrito level)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You go to mcdonalds/starbux etc in other countries so that you can pretend you are american for the five minutes you spend eating/drinking that garbage

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mcdonald's is very low quality but when I eat it I kinda get it. there's an idea of a food in there, and they max out the salty/fatty/sweet/sour tongue receptors - its a nice dopamine hit

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

wish I could pay to have deadbeat kids get steak and lobster every day :smith:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Starbucks is just another example of the local, better shops getting out-competed by massive corporations

except the local places are almost always better and cheaper

Starbucks always has a drive through in a convenient* location on the way to work though

*lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Their tea sucks rear end

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Starbucks has a somewhat generous benefit package if you work there. Yeah the product is overhyped trash but the employees make out decently.

Source: my ex-wife who worked there while we were married and still works there now

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i 100% support any unionized starbucks location

none around where i live and the one in question isn't unionized tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Antonymous posted:

starbucks is disgusting. coffee and the sugar drinks. I don't mind their espresso so I get americanos, the cold brew is OK too

So it's disgusting, but you frequently consume at least 2 of their signature products? Ok.

FWIW McDonald's coffee is 100x better than Starbucks in my country at least. Still pretty bad tho

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's fast food.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was at burger king like a month ago and they held me at the first window for like 20 minutes because, according to the guy, "they time how long it takes between you paying at this window and getting your food at the second window, and we're in a contest with the other fast food places to see who can be fastest" so basically they were pre-cooking everyone in line's food so they could record everyone's time as like, zero seconds lmao.

I didn't really care, I had nothing else to do that day, but boy the guy behind me in line sure did honk a lot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I told him it was incredibly dumb and he got defensive and I was like "you don't gotta defend it, you're not the one that put the dumb timer there" and he chilled out after that and we just kinda hung out for a bit :unsmith: Apparently I was one of the few people who didn't just yell at him a bunch.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

You should see the Chik Fil A near my office. They have cars coming into the drive through from 3 directions, and it backs up, even with two lanes. Unlike Starbucks, however, they have pimple faced teenagers out there directing traffic so, blocked or not, the road gets cleared relatively quickly.

The one near me that’s always 50 cars deep has pimple faced teenagers taking orders on iPads In in the parking lot. Chick Fil A may be run by some zealous nutsos but they have their poo poo together from a business perspective

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Lol America

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Panfilo posted:

The other refrain I'll see is "the free lunches were gross and nobody was eating them" but the solution to that is never "make them better". And you know, even if you DID pull that off then they would just attack it for being an exorbitant excess-"can you believe these deadbeat kids are getting STEAK AND LOBSTER every day on taxpayer dime?" so there's no winning.

What's that food stamp program the US has that specifies in exacting detail what you can and cannot get, such that foods which are discounted or just always relatively cheap are not allowed if they're perceived to be fancy or luxurious?

As always, the suffering is the point

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

The one near me that’s always 50 cars deep has pimple faced teenagers taking orders on iPads In in the parking lot. Chick Fil A may be run by some zealous nutsos but they have their poo poo together from a business perspective

They're teenagers working over oil fryers all day, I don't think you need to specify "pimple-faced"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Shame Boy posted:

I was at burger king like a month ago and they held me at the first window for like 20 minutes because, according to the guy, "they time how long it takes between you paying at this window and getting your food at the second window, and we're in a contest with the other fast food places to see who can be fastest" so basically they were pre-cooking everyone in line's food so they could record everyone's time as like, zero seconds lmao.

I didn't really care, I had nothing else to do that day, but boy the guy behind me in line sure did honk a lot.

This is just hilarious, is there a single KPI in the history of Earth that hasn't been immediately gamed to hell

and i do mean Earth, not humanity, don't think I don't see y'all birds over there with your bigass rear end feathers pretending like they mean something vis-a-vis whether you should get some gently caress

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

What's that food stamp program the US has that specifies in exacting detail what you can and cannot get, such that foods which are discounted or just always relatively cheap are not allowed if they're perceived to be fancy or luxurious?

As always, the suffering is the point

wic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Really the worst victim of that program is me, the person who has to write the software that implements the arbitrary stupid rules