Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

*extremely lib-ishly* yeah it’s high compared to recent rates, but compared to historic rates, 7.25% is quite low!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The year is 2025, and the house I bought with American Express is the talk of the town

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

*extremely lib-ishly* yeah it’s high compared to recent rates, but compared to historic rates, 7.25% is quite low!!!

It's the most affordable housing in history when you consider that financial products that turn you into a feudal serf operating an AirBnB didn't exist two years ago

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“updated “ is a basically like checklist they run through for currently in trim and finishes to match what folks see on the tv.

my wife and I love honey oak and wood finishes which is currently extremely out.

For all the talk of wooden colored stuff being “out”, the first thing people comment on when they enter our house is how nice our heart pine floors look. I’m glad the last owner wasn’t stupid enough to paint over it or slap a cheap white carpet on it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i love stuff like this

https://www.startribune.com/aia-home-of-the-month-white-oaks-savanna-eye-land-modern-farmhouse-grant-stillwater/600221917/

"we wanted to keep it affordable"

zillow tells me that house sold for 1.65M

if they are in the early 30s, at least one of them must be in finance or some other parasitic poo poo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This mountain bike content creator I follow posted a video about how its soooooo hard to be a landlord because your airbnb tenants put loose trash into the trash can and it reminded me that all landlords are scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csRl6KHIGw

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Salt Fish posted:

This mountain bike content creator I follow posted a video about how its soooooo hard to be a landlord because your airbnb tenants put loose trash into the trash can and it reminded me that all landlords are scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csRl6KHIGw

There's like drat near 100% overlap between "content creators" and small-time landlord scum. They all fall for the same scams that convince them to dump their money into rental properties. The only upside is that a lot of these people are still poor enough that they'll be the ones going under the bus even without a full-scale crash.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paradoxish posted:

There's like drat near 100% overlap between "content creators" and small-time landlord scum. They all fall for the same scams that convince them to dump their money into rental properties. The only upside is that a lot of these people are still poor enough that they'll be the ones going under the bus even without a full-scale crash.

or being a landlord affords them the necessary free time to make and post videos of their hobbies all day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ammanas posted:

or being a landlord affords them the necessary free time to make and post videos of their hobbies all day

yeah it's this

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

arguably not just small-time landlord scum but also born into wealthy upper-class landed gentry. although the venn diagram between the two is massively overlapping

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

arguably not just small-time landlord scum but also born into wealthy upper-class landed gentry. although the venn diagram between the two is massively overlapping

Yeah, they nearly all come from some kind of upper-class background or really lucked into some money beforehand.

There are exceptions to every rule, but I can say with a very high degree of confidence that your average influencer isn't a landlord turned YouTube star and that the trajectory for most of them goes in the other direction. Investing in "passive" income sources has been all the rage for this particular set for a really long time now and it's basically the first thing a lot of them do when they achieve any amount of success at all.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Housing update: My $4,000 house has cost me much more than $4,000 and is still completely unlivable

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Friendly Tenant is a red flag.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

How is buying a rental property a scam? Seems like a pretty good deal if this guy is just sitting around making youtube videos all day lol. drat wish I could do that !!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

iCe-CuBe. posted:

How is buying a rental property a scam? Seems like a pretty good deal if this guy is just sitting around making youtube videos all day lol. drat wish I could do that !!

you end up burdened with some tenants who will bleed you dry.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Sour grapes :sad:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Scam, much like grift, always just means "job i don't like" online

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

owning property isn’t a job, op

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Scam, much like grift, always just means "job i don't like" online

funniest post on the forums

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

scams aren't real!

Apr 7, 2003

I thought house prices were supposed to start dropping due to interest rates, any minute now

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1531-Westfield-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M35753-59897

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They have dropped -- the house across the street from me went down $5k!

(they did an open house the other day and no one showed up)

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I thought house prices were supposed to start dropping due to interest rates, any minute now

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1531-Westfield-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M35753-59897

Housing is basically illiquid as far as I can tell. I keep seeing that no buyers are showing up. Maybe that means only institutional buyers are buying things, but you have to include time on market with price plots.

Apr 7, 2003

Stuff is still going contingent/pending at the usual rates in my zip code for this time of year. One just went contingent at $536k, hope that guy budgeted for the new interest rates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In my zip things are sitting for a little longer than they used to but there are only a half dozen properties on the market at any given time so the sellers can just wait for this to happen.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I think I overplayed my hand on that comment. Housing in SF is down 3.4% since last year and sitting on the market nearly 2x longer this year as compared to last, but these last two years have been so wild.

https://www.redfin.com/city/17151/CA/San-Francisco/housing-market

The Fed says the country wide market is slowing down, but the seasonal change is happening at the same time. I suppose we’ll have to wait to see if it comes down again in the spring.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEDDAYONMARUS

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They have dropped -- the house across the street from me went down $5k!

(they did an open house the other day and no one showed up)

yeah, at a glance a bunch of listings in my neighborhood are slowly dropping $1-$5k every few weeks, but that’s a rounding error compared to an extra $600k in interest over the life of a mortgage

Apr 7, 2003

This place here

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/322-Crane-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M41486-49313?ex=2946973756

Was sold at tax auction in 2013 and sat empty for nearly a decade before getting the beige flipper treatment.

The flippers didn’t bother trying to address this damage in any way.

Sure hope no one buys that without having that addressed lol

This house is pending at $209k now, damage and all.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Stuff is still going contingent/pending at the usual rates in my zip code for this time of year. One just went contingent at $536k, hope that guy budgeted for the new interest rates.

They definitely aren't budgeting for the huge tax increase they're going to get when the school district appeals. I know several people that got like $400-$500 tacked onto their escrow due to appeals.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
This is the slow season anyway for the market, at least traditionally. I wonder what things will look like in May/June next year.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

This house is pending at $209k now, damage and all.

Almost $15k off of the original ask, I wonder how much poo poo the flipper is eating.

We discussed the power cords running into the wall, and I'm pretty sure it's a really amateur installation job for the dumb ring/blink camera system.

Apr 7, 2003

This flip just showed up

Check the street view for a hoot

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Is... is that tiny twin bed intended to make that room look huge or something? It looks loving ridiculous.

Apr 7, 2003

Yep. That house is less than 100 yards from mine and is built off the same blueprints which had minor variances for bay windows, left or right door, etc.

The rooms are all 10x12 or 12x14.

e: The picture in question looks like they knocked a wall out and turned two of the bedrooms into one at some point

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 16:34 on Nov 17, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The brick can't hurt you if you paint over it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

the flip on my street is so much like this. all the wood and brick is black. everything else is white.

Apr 7, 2003

painting that stuff black makes it harder to see imperfections in the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Saw some article about a company 3d printing an entire neighborhood in Houston? I think it was. They're taking reservations for sales in 2023/2024, starting price: $400,000

wtf is the point of 3d printed homes when an 800 sq ft shitbox costs a fortune (real answer: the cost savings are passed onto the construction company, not the buyer)