Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cookie Cutter posted:

My grandad went from the UK to fight in Rhodesia :yikes: didn't tell anyone about it either, just disappeared. Then came back when he was done like nothing had happened. Just a casual bit of ethno nationalist war you see, had to be done.

Are you sure he didn't go to Spain and live with a fancy lady for a while, then invent the Rhodesia story on return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Gradenko I am sorry but I don't trust your giant reposts anymore.

To be clear I was just doing a follow-up on "wtf the Catholic Church has a special prayer just for the conversion of Russia?" and apparently this rabbit hole goes through Our Lady of Fatima.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

DancingShade posted:

Are you sure he didn't go to Spain and live with a fancy lady for a while, then invent the Rhodesia story on return?

If only - a bunch of guys turned up at his funeral that nobody recognised, I believe that's how some/all of my fam found out where he had been.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you think we'll get any Russian operators in Modern Warfare 2 or are games staying away from Russians because of real-world events?
But I thought they already added the Scavenger Perk 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

they won ww2, what makes you think they'll lose this lil thing

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you think we'll get any Russian operators in Modern Warfare 2 or are games staying away from Russians because of real-world events?

The MW crowd is now very concerned about the treatment of Muslims.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i liked how even back in 2009, the middle east part of mw2 was just a distraction until you got to the real story of soviet weapons dealer bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ZvikaKlein/status/1588510693468557314

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

If you check the replies you can see someone supposedly did the jpeg artefacts hunt and showed that there appeared to be anomalies in the patch (please please please ignore the anomalies around the man's face, phone, arm, hand, ...). And purportedly the image isn't new so the story must be apocryphal, so ignore the photo.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/jrs97/status/1589286103961702401

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

If you check the replies you can see someone supposedly did the jpeg artefacts hunt and showed that there appeared to be anomalies in the patch (please please please ignore the anomalies around the man's face, phone, arm, hand, ...). And purportedly the image isn't new so the story must be apocryphal, so ignore the photo.

isn’t that just Finland’s flag ?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

wow compression artifacts in a jpeg that's a smoking gun right there

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh look, it's the same map again
https://twitter.com/abolishlife/status/1589450289836609536

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1589597991928741890?s=20&t=YzaEjJw3DlL49kNwconaHQ

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

It's so stupid, the attempt to frame these resolutions as some kind of secret power gaming vote by Russia that actually means something else. I would simply tick the box that says Nazis = bad

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

It's so stupid, the attempt to frame these resolutions as some kind of secret power gaming vote by Russia that actually means something else. I would simply tick the box that says Nazis = bad

The US is well aware of how nations use ostensibly neutral and reasonable UN resolutions to justify their own aggression because it's been their MO for 75 years.

Will these actions or the (ignored) resolution on the Cuba embargo a week ago change any perspectives on the nature of the UN?

lol lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Not doing anything is quite the trick, only a mastermind could have come up with such a deceitful plan.

Also, the oddity on that map is Mali, since Wagner is working with the post-coup government.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Nov 7, 2022

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PhilippAchtel posted:

The US is well aware of how nations use ostensibly neutral and reasonable UN resolutions to justify their own aggression because it's been their MO for 75 years.

Will these actions or the (ignored) resolution on the Cuba embargo a week ago change any perspectives on the nature of the UN?

lol lmao

It's funnier to me that people think UN resolutions matter anymore, if they ever actually mattered.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The Russian Army:- Haha jokes on you I was only pretending to be incompetent!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's the only way to win a diplomatic victory tho.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
every time that UN resolution came up in previous years I would be informed that the reason why it was supposedly objectionable was that it defines the removal of Soviet-era statues and memorials to be part of pro-Nazi propaganda

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here’s this article about Griner and Whelan. nearly all of these things presented as distinctly Russian and Stalinist are true of the US prison system!

https://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_1240f8042bc1baa96bd1ecc757d04e76

quote:

Brittney Griner faces bleak life in Russian penal colony
Story by Reuters
Updated: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 08:22:02 GMT

Source: Reuters

Tedious manual work, poor hygiene and lack of access to medical care -- such are the conditions awaiting US basketball star Brittney Griner in a Russian penal colony after she lost her appeal last week against a nine-year drug sentence.

It's a world familiar to Maria Alyokhina, a member of feminist art ensemble Pussy Riot who spent nearly two years as an inmate for her part in a 2012 punk protest in a Moscow cathedral against President Vladimir Putin.

The first thing to understand, Alyokhina said in an interview, is that a penal colony is no ordinary prison.

"This is not a building with cells. This looks like a strange village, like a Gulag labor camp," she said, referring to the vast penal network established by Soviet dictator Josef Stalin to isolate and crush inmates.

"It actually is a labor camp because by law all the prisoners should work. The quite cynical thing about this work is that prisoners usually sew police uniforms and uniforms for the Russian army, almost without salary."

The colony was divided between a factory area where the prisoners made garments and gloves and a "living zone" where Alyokhina said 80 women lived in one room with just three toilets and no hot water.

Griner, a two-time Olympic gold medallist, could soon be transferred to a colony in the absence of a further appeal or an agreement between Washington and Moscow to swap her for a Russian arms dealer jailed in the United States -- a possibility that was floated months ago but has yet to materialize.

Harsh rules

In a Pussy Riot show that has toured the world and is now playing in Britain, Alyokhina relives the memories of her time as an inmate -- snowy prison yards, plank-like beds, long spells in solitary confinement and punishment for minor infringements such as an unbuttoned coat or poorly attached nametag.

She was constantly being videoed by prison guards "because I am a 'famous provocateur'," she added.

Russia's prison service did not reply to a request for comment for this article.

A more recent penal colony detainee, Yelena, described a similar regime to that experienced by Alyokhina a decade ago.

Yelena, 34, served eight years in a Siberian colony after being convicted for possession of drugs.

She said she was paid about 1,000 roubles ($16) a month for toiling 10-12 hours a day in a sewing workshop.

"Girls with a strong, athletic build are often given much heavier jobs. For example, they load sacks of flour for a prison bakery or unload mountains of coal," she said.

Prisoners could face punishment for inexplicable "offenses" such as placing a wristwatch on a bedside table.

The ultimate sanction was solitary confinement, known as "the Vatican."

"Just as the Vatican is a state within a state, solitary confinement is a prison within a prison," Yelena said.

A gynecologist paid a monthly visit to her colony, where more than 800 women were imprisoned.

"You do the math, what are the chances of being the one to get through to a doctor? Practically zero," she said.

Language barrier

For a foreigner with little or no Russian, it's harder to navigate the system and deal with the isolation.

The brother of Paul Whelan, a former U.S. Marine serving 16 years in a Russian penal colony on espionage charges that he denies, said he is granted a 15-minute phone call each day to his parents, cannot call other family members or friends, and has no access to email or the internet.

David Whelan said his brother must work at least eight hours a day, six days a week, on menial tasks like making buttonholes, which has caused him repetitive strain injury.

Inmates sleep in barrack-like buildings and access to many necessities, including medicine, depends on paying bribes to prison guards, he said.

Conditions can depend heavily on the whims of guards, the warden or elder inmates.

Paul seems to use his military training "to get through just day to day, to figure out what battles to fight and which battles not to fight," David Whelan said.

"His phone calls even to our parents are recorded. His letters were all translated before they went out. So you know that everything you do is being watched and you really have no sense of individuality."

Alyokhina said receiving cards and letters from the outside world offered a rare ray of hope, and she urged people to support Griner that way.

She said they should use a machine translation and send the text in both English and Russian to get it more easily past the prison censor.

"Do not leave someone alone with this system," she said. "It's totally inhuman, it's a Gulag, and when you feel yourself alone there, it's much easier to give up."

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

surprised canada wasn't one of the og opposers, given their sizable population of people whose ukrainian grandpas were political during wwii and all the nazi monuments

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

well would you look at that, it's the same map again
what are the odds

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

what are the odds

What's the one in Russia east of Ukraine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stalin probably

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Truga posted:

what are the odds

nothing in Argentina?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's probably incomplete research i just thought it was funny :v:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

Any word about Belarus?

lukashenko has been spotted in an alleyway, cowering behind a dumpster yelling "i got you bro"

what the christ ireland :smith:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

There's a Volga Germans monument that's very victims of communism'y but the dot doesn't seem quite far east enough for that

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
absolutely sickening that the duplicitous orcs are now exploiting U.N resolutions in an attempt to weaponize 'common decency' against the noble nations of the free world. does their perfidy know no bounds?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

There's been some reporting recently that seems to indicate Ukraine and NATO are looking at retaking Kherson as the last big event before opening to negotiations

https://english.nv.ua/nation/us-and-nato-see-peace-talks-between-ukraine-and-russia-only-if-ukraine-liberates-kherson-50282205.html

quote:

The United States and NATO see the start of peace talks between Ukraine and Russia only if Ukraine’s army takes control of Kherson, the battle for which has both strategic and diplomatic significance, Italian newspaper La Repubblica wrote on Nov. 7.

The message the United States is sending Ukraine through Brussels is that if and when Kherson is regained, then negotiations can be started.

Once Kherson is liberated, Ukraine could join the negotiations from a position of strength, the newspaper wrote.

The liberation of Kherson is possible before the end of November, the head of the Main Intelligence Directorate Kyrylo Budanov said on Oct. 31.

Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov said that rainy weather had slowed down the offensive of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in Kherson Oblast a little. He also noted that Ukraine controls all the bridges, so the invaders will not have the opportunity to escape from Kherson.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Truga posted:

what are the odds

say what you want about poland but they at least haven’t yet put up any monuments celebrating nazis

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I inspected the pixels and not only do they prove this man is a nazi, they show conclusively he has a smaller nazi in his bag.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Jel Shaker posted:

say what you want about poland but they at least haven’t yet put up any monuments celebrating nazis

plenty celebrating the military junta that allied with nazis though

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

There's been some reporting recently that seems to indicate Ukraine and NATO are looking at retaking Kherson as the last big event before opening to negotiations

https://english.nv.ua/nation/us-and-nato-see-peace-talks-between-ukraine-and-russia-only-if-ukraine-liberates-kherson-50282205.html

From a pure power politics perspective, that does make sense. With the war being fought entirely within Ukraine's borders, and Ukraine not likely to want to give anything in peace negotiations that makes them more economically dependent on Russia than they already are, their best bargaining chip, such as it is, will be to convince Russia that if they wait longer to enter into peace negotiations that they will lose territory they currently control. Otherwise, what incentive would Russia have to come to the table?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Krasnov

The map is interactive.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1sW6RPe7rwDKlFNa7micTeQezCpomKof3&ll=46.654618391614356%2C44.621218119146015&z=5

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

From a pure power politics perspective, that does make sense. With the war being fought entirely within Ukraine's borders, and Ukraine not likely to want to give anything in peace negotiations that makes them more economically dependent on Russia than they already are, their best bargaining chip, such as it is, will be to convince Russia that if they wait longer to enter into peace negotiations that they will lose territory they currently control. Otherwise, what incentive would Russia have to come to the table?

To be honest I'm not really sure what would bring Russia to the table right now. Since negotiations haven't been seriously attempted (at least in public) it's hard to say.

If I had to guess, I'd say military neutrality and Ukraine not joining NATO is still the big sticking point, and they'll be somewhat more flexible in terms of trading territory they gained during the current conflict to achieve that.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Jose Mengelez posted:

lukashenko has been spotted in an alleyway, cowering behind a dumpster yelling "i got you bro"

Americas cock is pretty far down our throats at this point. Which is to say the ruling class in ireland are at this point in time, inextricably linked with the american ruling class. Seriously, Ireland is just going to spend it way through the current economic crisis and continue to go further down the path of being cold singapore. Biden thinks of himself as irish which makes us a favoured protectorate (even more so now than we normally are).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Jose Mengelez posted:

Generally, when everyone sees that Russia is using accusations of Nazism to justify its genocide in ukraine and to tarnish its opponents ( who would like to not be genocided) as nazis, they tend to be suspect of just thrrowing that word around.