Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gay Retard posted:

I do this for every external dongle - Wifi, Zigbee, Bluetooth, Logitech - so many USB hubs and enclosures affect the signal, from my experience.
This is what the USB hubs in monitors are great for. My Bluetooth and Logitech dongles both live on the back of my monitor permanently, always within three feet of the things they're connecting to. It's not perfect line of sight of course but it's close enough that it's never mattered in a practical sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there something similar to the Logitech K400+ except the trackpad isn't poo poo?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 5, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I love Logitech keyboards. Are their mechanicals good? Are their key caps such that I can buy whatever custom stuff I want, like a green space bar, and stick it on? Or do they have some kind of proprietary keys?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

blue squares posted:

I love Logitech keyboards. Are their mechanicals good? Are their key caps such that I can buy whatever custom stuff I want, like a green space bar, and stick it on? Or do they have some kind of proprietary keys?

I don't know enough about keyboard/keycap layouts to answer that one, but I will say be careful about their mechanicals. Some use standard Cherry MX switches; others use their propriety "Romer-G" switches that (at least for me) were terrible because they keypress was incredibly light and the travel incredibly short so just the act of barely resting my fingertips on a key would trigger a keypress. Granted, those are made for hyper-specific gaming applications so you'll probably be fine - just make sure to read the info detail about the board and know what switches are coming with.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zarin posted:

I don't know enough about keyboard/keycap layouts to answer that one, but I will say be careful about their mechanicals. Some use standard Cherry MX switches; others use their propriety "Romer-G" switches that (at least for me) were terrible because they keypress was incredibly light and the travel incredibly short so just the act of barely resting my fingertips on a key would trigger a keypress. Granted, those are made for hyper-specific gaming applications so you'll probably be fine - just make sure to read the info detail about the board and know what switches are coming with.

I love this about my optical corsair switches.

1mm actuation distance is crazy responsive and typing feels effortless.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Busted my Logitech G910.

Recommendations for a new keyboard?

Needs:
-keys that are responsive and feel good and tactile and all that
-rgb with decent software
-full size
-wrist support

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there something similar to the Logitech K400+ except the trackpad isn't poo poo?

If you can find it, the K830 is great.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k830-illuminated-tv-wireless.920-007182.html

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

That looks pretty great. How can I make sure I get the US ANSI layout and not UK ISO? The product image appears to be ISO but there's a picture of an ANSI layout one down below :confused:

edit: also where's the add to cart button? :negative:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

blue squares posted:

I think now all Logitech keyboards of the mechanical variety that is, use regular Cherry style switches, so the caps that will work are pretty much all of them. The 910 line (Spectrum and Orion) used a proprietary switch and keycap style.

Only thing you'd have to look out for is the length of the bottom row. It caries per manufacturer, so not every spacebar will be the same length. It is something you'd have to measure.

uXs posted:

Busted my Logitech G910.

Recommendations for a new keyboard?

Needs:
-keys that are responsive and feel good and tactile and all that
-rgb with decent software
-full size
-wrist support
There are more than a few places out there that makes wrist rests of varying lengths, if you happen to get a keyboard without one.

The Logitech G513 hits all those requirements, and would just work if you were already using the Logitech software. They make a 512 model, but no wrist rest comes with it. Both have the option for Blue, Brown, or Red switches.

Corsair has the K70 line, pretty much same as the G513, but it has media keys and a volume roller. Corsair's software is pretty straight forward.

Razer makes a bunch, but I hate their software with a passion.

Otherwise, there are literal tons of cheap mechanicals you can get that will hit most all those marks. No wrist rest for the most part, and RGB control is through key combinations on the keyboard. Bonus might be that hot-swappable is becoming cheaper and cheaper now. I've seen them in the $40-50 range.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I picked up my first mechanic keyboards after years of wanting one. Going to decide which to keep. Corsair K65 Mini and Razer Black Widow V3 Tenkeyless.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 7, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I got my duck one 3 finally and I find it actually incredibly frustrating to use, it seems to be way to easy to actuate the keys and I get a ton of extraneous key presses and double letters.

I guess I should've gone with switches with a high force required, so I'll probably have to swap them out.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
There are so many new switches now it’s overwhelming. If I like retooled cherry browns, alps orange and topre, what should I check out?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

teraflame posted:

There are so many new switches now it’s overwhelming. If I like retooled cherry browns, alps orange and topre, what should I check out?

Gazzew Boba U4T switches might be up your alley. Check https://www.gazzew.com/ for a list of local vendors

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

blue squares posted:

I picked up my first mechanic keyboards after years of wanting one. Going to decide which to keep. Corsair K65 Mini and Razer Black Widow V3 Tenkeyless.

Update on this. I definitely enjoy using a mechanical keyboard. It just feels so good. However I think that neither of these boards is the right choice for me. The K65 is too small and the Black Widow is too noisy

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I finally discovered a third-party knob that's compatible with Keychron boards:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Oooh, this looks nice. Thank you!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Decided to return my two crappy gamer boards and get a proper one from mechanicalkeyboards.com. I'm trying to build my desk out with a vaguely outdoorsy theme so this is perfect!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tech support question if that's ok: So I have a Kinesis Freestyle Edge RGB. All of a sudden today the enter key stopped acting like an enter key and now when I hit enter it types an o, as if i had hit the "o" key. I tried the normal unplugging/replugging, restarting the computer, etc. stuff but it still happens. I even booted into the bios and the enter key acts like an o key even there too. Is there some reason this might happen that I try and fix myself before I try and send it in under warranty?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shear Modulus posted:

Tech support question if that's ok: So I have a Kinesis Freestyle Edge RGB. All of a sudden today the enter key stopped acting like an enter key and now when I hit enter it types an o, as if i had hit the "o" key. I tried the normal unplugging/replugging, restarting the computer, etc. stuff but it still happens. I even booted into the bios and the enter key acts like an o key even there too. Is there some reason this might happen that I try and fix myself before I try and send it in under warranty?

I'm not sure, it could be a problem with the board, but you could try programming the key with their SmartSet software in case it somehow got messed up and reconfigured:
https://gaming.kinesis-ergo.com/product/freestyle-edge/

You could also try hitting the profile key to get to profile 1 or whatever you were using by default, in case you switched it to a profile with a different layout by accident or if it switched itself. I'm not entirely clear on the method but here's the link to manual:
https://gaming.kinesis-ergo.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Freestyle-Edge-RGB-User-Manual-Version-1.0.0-May-30-2019.pdf

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm looking to rig up a more portable mechanical to lug to work. My current cheap but surprisingly decent 100% Velocifire is just big and I don't really use my numpad that much. If I wanted a silent switch that behaved similarly to the MX or Outemu Brown, would I be dumb just grabbing a Royal Kludge 65% or 75% and maybe some Gateron Silent Browns or Outemu Silent Grey to make a decent and quiet tactile board that'll fit in a messenger bag?

I tinkered with some Redragon switches last week at Microcenter and I liked the Bullet-QT. That's just basically the Silent Grey, yeah? Apparently they're Outemu Limes, which I can get 90 of for 20 bucks on AliExpress.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 8, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Echophonic posted:

I'm looking to rig up a more portable mechanical to lug to work. My current cheap but surprisingly decent 100% Velocifire is just big and I don't really use my numpad that much. If I wanted a silent switch that behaved similarly to the MX or Outemu Brown, would I be dumb just grabbing a Royal Kludge 65% or 75% and maybe some Gateron Silent Browns or Outemu Silent Grey to make a decent and quiet tactile board that'll fit in a messenger bag?

I tinkered with some Redragon switches last week at Microcenter and I liked the Bullet-QT. That's just basically the Silent Grey, yeah?

Before moving onto ortholinear I used a Pok3r to take with me to work. Put it in a Grifiti Chiton Fat sleeve and that worked great. As for the switch questions I don't know. I've only used Zilents and Boba's (which are both amazing)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure, it could be a problem with the board, but you could try programming the key with their SmartSet software in case it somehow got messed up and reconfigured:
https://gaming.kinesis-ergo.com/product/freestyle-edge/

You could also try hitting the profile key to get to profile 1 or whatever you were using by default, in case you switched it to a profile with a different layout by accident or if it switched itself. I'm not entirely clear on the method but here's the link to manual:
https://gaming.kinesis-ergo.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Freestyle-Edge-RGB-User-Manual-Version-1.0.0-May-30-2019.pdf

This was it. I opened the keymapping software and enter was indeed remapped to O. I have no idea how I managed to do that. I hadn't even downloaded any of the customization tools before. Thanks for reminding me to look.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shear Modulus posted:

This was it. I opened the keymapping software and enter was indeed remapped to O. I have no idea how I managed to do that. I hadn't even downloaded any of the customization tools before. Thanks for reminding me to look.

No problem, and yeah that is weird. There may just be a way to activate it on the keyboard itself somehow, but if you have a cat it was definitely your cat (I don't have a cat but a friend of mine spams a lot of catlike typing in IRC). If no cat, then cosmic rays.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rexxed posted:

No problem, and yeah that is weird. There may just be a way to activate it on the keyboard itself somehow, but if you have a cat it was definitely your cat (I don't have a cat but a friend of mine spams a lot of catlike typing in IRC). If no cat, then cosmic rays.

I do have a cat, I'll have to ask him why he did that

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Shear Modulus posted:

I do have a cat, I'll have to ask him why he did that

Be prepared for the silent treatment. They are masters of that form of interrogation resistance :(

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't know if anyone remembers from a while back, but I was asking about keycap sets where they round the front edge of the space bar because it's like that on the Durgod Fusion. I believe we figured out that one manufacturer was doing it at the time. Anyway, I just picked up this cheap Havit board with a similar feature on the keycaps. It's not exactly the same amount of roundedness, it's actually more round, but it's nice! I mean the space bar is, I don't love MX reds or this layout, although it's not terrible.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B085ZDXGZW

I might look for a matching set or a more full set to use it on my normal TKL daily driver or possibly do some switch swaps. I don't hate the numpad cluster but I don't really need it and it makes the caps weird for other boards. I did notice the numpad caps have the profile of normal numpad rows, not the rows they're translated to, so that's something at least.

Looking around it seems like the rounded space bar is available from this seller on their OEM profile keycap sets. They're not very thick PBT and I don't love the look of all of them but it's nice to see that they're out there:
https://smile.amazon.com/LTC-LavaCaps-112-Key-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B09J1JLFZN/

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 9, 2022

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Rexxed posted:

I don't know if anyone remembers from a while back, but I was asking about keycap sets where they round the front edge of the space bar because it's like that on the Durgod Fusion. I believe we figured out that one manufacturer was doing it at the time. Anyway, I just picked up this cheap Havit board with a similar feature on the keycaps.

I missed this before but if you look on AliExpress for any sets by Domikey (DMK) you will find spacebars with that sculpt.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i have a domikey set but i ended up just flipping the spacebar anyway

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The ABS space bar on my repro dolch caps from 2014 has smoothed and rounded itself over due to having my thumb on there, but I'm thinking about making some changes. Also it's not as round as these are by default. It's not usually a problem since I use a wrist rest so there's not a severe angle or anything, but it feels nice. I think the only time I reversed the space bar and really liked it was the TG3 cop car keyboard. It was a little tall on the front side since it was kind of a brick made to be in harsh environments. Anyway my list of keyboard projects grows (I haven't worked on anything in forever).

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

repiv posted:

i have a domikey set but i ended up just flipping the spacebar anyway

Extremely cursed and deviant behavior

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wow. I got my keyboard. Wow. It’s so good and pretty

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 10, 2022

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Anyone use a Dactyl or Manuform have opinions about it? Thinking about making one but have some trepidation of whether I’ll like it after going through the effort of making it.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Is the intro post mostly up todate? I'm new to mechanical keyboards as I've been too cheap or lazy to put in the time to research. As Xmas is coming up figured it'd be something I can get and not feel guilty spending money on when I have a working keyboard. That being said I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction to where to start to look.

Currently for work (developer) I use an apple magic a1644. However, for my home machine I have a Azio KB501 Keyboard which was cheap on Amazon with a wrist pad that I'm looking to replace.

Ideally I think I care about these things
Being relatively quite. It's in my bedroom and sometimes the wife naps while I work.
As for key presses I'm assuming something on the lighter side given my apple keyboard and my pc being membrane based.
100% form factor.
Some kind of multi media volume control, media buttons
I don't care if it's RGB tbh. If it has a dedicated on/off light button that'd be great.
I currently own a Razer mouse so I've already got that software installed and kind of use it.

I did some quick reading on this and previous page. Should I just pick up Widow V3, Yellow Switch, from Razer? I guess it would be cool if I could use the same board for both my work Mac and my PC if that's a thing. Currently don't have bluetooth for my home PC.

sterster fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 10, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sterster posted:

Currently don't have bluetooth for my home PC.

You can buy a USB dongle blueooth that is tiny and stick it right on there. I have one from Asus and it is great

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Okay so doing a bit more research I could do something like

Keychron-k10 wireless keyboard. It appears that this keyboard would support switching between the 2 with a switch on the side.
Buy an adapter for my PC
Figure out a mouse to do the same and I'm done.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Do mech keyboard people generally prefer wired or wireless? Wireless seems much easier but those coiled cables look pretty drat cool

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

blue squares posted:

Do mech keyboard people generally prefer wired or wireless? Wireless seems much easier but those coiled cables look pretty drat cool

Wireless is convenient, but braided aviator cables are for performance

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

blue squares posted:

I have a couple dual wired/wireless keyboards, but I almost exclusively use them wired because I'm lazy about charging things and can't be inconvenienced by any issues with BT pairing.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wireless is convenient, but braided aviator cables are for performance

To expand on that, performance over Bluetooth will always be bad. If you want performance indistinguishable from wired you need to get something like the Logitech/RAZR propriety wireless. Rtings.com has probably the most comprehensive keyboard latency testing I'm aware of. Note that you can disregard my post if you're not a PC gaming nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I want a keyboard with one of those old coiled phone cords people would wind around their fingers while on the phone