Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Mengelez posted:

what the christ ireland :smith:

Okay what's the score on Eamon de Valera and accusations of being pro-Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
modernity has cheapened the word "genocide" to be when Bad guys do bad things to Good people

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol most of the German ones are for Porsche. I guess commemorating the worlds worst tank designer is okay

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kim philby was a hero

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

he sent a condolence letter on the announcement of hitler’s suicide

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

i say swears online posted:

kim philby was a hero

one of the only good cambridge grads

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fivemarks posted:

Generally, when everyone sees that Russia is using accusations of Nazism to justify its genocide in ukraine and to tarnish its opponents ( who would like to not be genocided) as nazis, they tend to be suspect of just thrrowing that word around.

generally, when everyone sees that shitlibs are using accusations of genocide to justify their nazi support in ukraine and to tarnish its opponents (who would like to not support nazis) as genocide deniers, they tend to be suspect of just throwing that word around

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol most of the German ones are for Porsche. I guess commemorating the worlds worst tank designer is okay

praxis.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

generally, when everyone sees that shitlibs are using accusations of genocide to justify their nazi support in ukraine and to tarnish its opponents (who would like to not support nazis) as genocide deniers, they tend to be suspect of just throwing that word around

furthermore, if you think it sucks that Russia is using Nazis as a pretext for what they're doing and their actual motivations are the same cynical geopolitical stuff as usual (which is a fair argument to make) -- voting at the UN to take neonazism less seriously doesn't actually own Russia, it actually makes their pretext seem more credible, because all their geopolitical foes are voting pro Nazi lol

speng31b has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Nov 7, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also I am going to call bullshit on negotiations, they're completely meaningless until someone actually signs an agreement. The events of april/may should have made that very clear.

Резидент posted:

⚡️⚡️⚡️#Инсайд
Our source in the OP told us that negotiations between the U.S. and Russia have been active for the last month, and the negotiating platform is Saudi Arabia. The main negotiating line is at the level of close persons, on the US side it is Sullivan, and on the Russian side it is Patrushev. Bankova has long been aware of these processes, and Zelensky considers any peace talks before the withdrawal of Russian troops to the borders of 1991 to be a defeat for Ukraine, as Yermak said at the meeting with Sullivan.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/14842
(from t.me/rezident_ua/14968, via tgsa)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Generally, when everyone sees that Russia is using accusations of Nazism to justify its genocide in ukraine and to tarnish its opponents ( who would like to not be genocided) as nazis, they tend to be suspect of just thrrowing that word around.

“genocide” does not just mean “killing some people in a war”, OP.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Cerebral Bore posted:

seems like both sides of this capitalist war are shitlibs throwing words around to affect, unconcerned with historical accuracy, but it doesn't help that Ukraine actually does have nazis all the way up into the higher echelons of government with an explicitly neo-nazi death squad as an official army battalion

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Резидент posted:

⚡️⚡️⚡️#Инсайд
Our source in the OP told us that Sullivan offered Zelensky a formula/draft for a negotiating track with the Kremlin, which should be the basis of a new Minsk/Stambul/Er Riyadh-3. Under tentative arrangements, Kherson is given to Ukraine, and the front is set along the Dnieper River and further frozen along the line of contact in Zaporizhia/Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts. Ukraine receives electricity from the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant and in return critical infrastructure stops being shelled by missiles. The West provides a $50 billion loan and part of Russia's frozen/confiscated assets to rebuild Ukraine. Separately, Kiev receives modern air defense systems and artillery systems/tanks.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/14968
(from t.me/rezident_ua/14971, via tgsa)

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

if, however, we'd like to evolve the modern definition of genocide into any sort of imperialist acts of war, I'd be fine following that up with discussion of the endless genocides of the US for my entire lifetime (and so, so much longer)

seems like a negotiable exchange if we really want to confront the evils of modern empires

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1589591267931230208

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

The337th posted:

if, however, we'd like to evolve the modern definition of genocide into any sort of imperialist acts of war, I'd be fine following that up with discussion of the endless genocides of the US for my entire lifetime (and so, so much longer)

seems like a negotiable exchange if we really want to confront the evils of modern empires

ive been told all of those people hated the US for its freedoms and therefore do not count

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this seems...remarkable

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lol Ukraine doing a communism - lets see how tankies react

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You're all much better at this than I, but I hope this illustrates the point

I know there are ways to combine the historical maps and google maps, keep the POIs or whatever, or failing that, better ways to overlay layers, but - the monuments to Perpetrators are in Galicia, almost exclusively. After 1991 there is a smattering in Kiev, but "for some reason", many more after 2014.

Which shows that "Ukrainian Nationalism" is the project of a very specific subset of the population that has been allowed to seize power again and again, disproportionate to their population or the true history of the Ukraine, which the Ruthenians didn't even share a country with until integrated into the USSR. You could make the same map with areas of the country that are Catholic as opposed to Orthodox, or one with the former borders of the Russian and Austro-Hungarian Empires (which I suppose would be another way to show essentially the same thing).

Whatever hope for a stable and united Ukraine there might have been has been removed by giving our preferred anti-Communist/Russian proxies control over the institutions, facilitating their myth making in English, allowing them to rewrite the national image.

Suppose, because they predated other Polish immigration to Canada by a decade and have a charming little village in Wilno, Ontario, we let the Kashubians dictate our policy there. If Kashubians were considered the "true" Poles, and Canadian diplomacy towards Poland was conducted by our Kashubian Deputy PM, who called the Prime Minister of Poland daily and arranged to have the Kashubian oligarch former President released from prison. If we had facilitated Kashubians returning to Poland after 1989 to write the new constitution and hold prominent positions in the Polish State.

Of course, the Kashubian diaspora was formed because of the opposition to Prussia and then the German Empire, which doesn't have the same domestic utility as anti-communism, so here we are. That's the difference between arriving in 1850 and 1950.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Nov 7, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he sent a condolence letter on the announcement of hitler’s suicide

Its called diplomacy????

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
russia being open to ending the war with only half of Donetsk/Zaparozhia and none of kharkov and losing Kherson would be a spectacular backdown from them and an admission that they just ate too much poo poo to be able to go on.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Micronesia i thought you were cool noooooooo :negative:

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

russia being open to ending the war with only half of Donetsk/Zaparozhia and none of kharkov and losing Kherson would be a spectacular backdown from them and an admission that they just ate too much poo poo to be able to go on.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gradenko_2000 posted:

Churchill was pretty upset that ireland, a natural part of the UK, wouldn't send yet more bodies to be mulched under british commanders. Ireland was neutral on paper, despite the british having the use of ports in both the north and south of the country, further to that wayward british and american pilots would make it home from Ireland, germans were interned. So Ireland did in fact assist the allies in the war effort, but because we wouldn't send bodies we never got that sick marshall plan money. Didn't really even get to be part of the machine until the celtic tiger in the 90s. We are now a capital W White Country.

I also think things were just cordial with the germans due to factions within the IRA getting guns from them during WW1 and the 20s - Im sure some of the same people or their kids would have been knocking around up until that point. I think the germans also apologised when they bombed Dublin. Otto Skorzeny lived in Kildare for a while after the war. Basically, being up to our tits in the wests bullshit but pretending none of it has anything to do with us.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

It is just the Ukrainian position.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

you can tell because it’s deeply stupid and unrealistic and exclusively benefits Nazi-stanning losers

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Thats the proposal from the US side (Sullivan), note that they dont report Russia's response (which was probably "lol, lmao, we're not paying Ukraine")

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
saw this at school dropping-off this morning, slava ukraini

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAKZ9eyuhiY

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It is just the Ukrainian position.

That's actually supposedly only the US position even. At least Rezident keeps posting about how Zelensky refuses to negotiate at all. While nobody knows what Kremlin is thinking and all the pro russians are constantly doing the alsaqr about another betrayal.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was thinking about a good way to explain what happened in terms readily comparable to the English-speaking world and I think I have one.

Canada has an Irish culture totally at odds, as in diametrically opposed, to how it's understood in Ireland and the rest of the English-speaking world. The reason is that Canada all-but banned immigration of Irish Catholics but went out of the way to encourage the immigration of Irish Protestants so that uniquely the vast majority of Irish in (English) Canada are Proddies. This is opposed to the demographics of the two Irelands, past and present, but also contrasts with Australia, who received mostly transported Irish Catholics and the US, which received mostly Irish Catholics fleeing the Great Famine. Even during the Great Famine, when there was a great deal of traffic to Montreal, what Irish Catholics that landed here went to the States as soon as they were able, or stayed in Montreal if they were too poor or sick to travel to the US.

So, what it means to be "Irish" in Canada (the Belfast of the North) is very different than what it means anywhere else, just like what it means to be "Ukrainian" in Canada is very different than what it meant in the majority of Ukraine. We have an Irish culture created by Ulstermen in the image of Ulster, similarly we have allowed Galicians to create a picture of Ukraine in the image of Galicia. Canadian Irish were militant supporters of the Orange Order, the Political activities of the Ukrainian diaspora here are well known. Iirc Canadian support for the UDR/RUC and Crown was much higher than it ever was for the IRA and I only ever heard the IRA referred to as terrorists, in the media and by everyone I knew, growing up in the 90's and 2000's. In the same way that being Irish means to fight for King and Country, the Ukrainian "national struggle" as understood here, means to have fought against the USSR, rather than having been part of it.

Most, and by that it's got to be 90% these days, of Canadians are oblivious to this, because how would they know? We have Irish bars, just like Australia and the US, and how would you know which names are Scots Gaelic instead of Irish or that the Red Hand of Ulster is not the kind of ticky tacky Irish pub decoration found in Ireland? It's totally normal for the Union Jack to be generic pub decoration in Irish pubs and nobody would really think about that or even notice. As far as anyone here is concerned, that's just what Irish culture is, it's uncontroversial. "Irish" dress here is as often as not Lowland Scot, most places have "Scottish and Irish" Stores (so, Scots-Irish), but who is going to know if people wear trews in Ireland? You just go there to get plum pudding to bring to Christmas or to look for a tartan scarf or cable knit sweater, or an outfit for a wedding, and there's not much to it.

Same thing with Ukraine. People see flower crowns and "national costume" and hear the "national story" and that's it. Ukrainian culture is pretty common in Canada, I grew up knowing pierogis as varenyky, and understanding all Ukrainians are Catholic, and that's all there was to it.

So, you know, these things happen. People aren't going to interrogate these assumptions and it lets a lot of stuff go by under the radar.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

speng31b posted:

There's been some reporting recently that seems to indicate Ukraine and NATO are looking at retaking Kherson as the last big event before opening to negotiations

https://english.nv.ua/nation/us-and-nato-see-peace-talks-between-ukraine-and-russia-only-if-ukraine-liberates-kherson-50282205.html

If this was true, there's no way they'd be speaking about it publicly. All I can think about is how Ukraine was talking about Kherson non stop right up until their big push into Kharkov.

I'm guessing this is either PR or a feint to keep Russian forces pinned in position around Kherson and/or to cover another offensive in the east. Wonder what the defensive lines around Mariupol look like.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is really interesting stuff, thanks for posting it! I had no idea about the Irish demographic history in Canada. It's a good analogy to how the West views Ukraine, too, IMO.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

If this was true, there's no way they'd be speaking about it publicly. All I can think about is how Ukraine was talking about Kherson non stop right up until their big push into Kharkov.

I'm guessing this is either PR or a feint to keep Russian forces pinned in position around Kherson and/or to cover another offensive in the east. Wonder what the defensive lines around Mariupol look like.

The conversation was about an attack in Zaporizhzhia and cutting off the Kherson group a month ago. That kind of completely went away though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fits my needs posted:

saw this at school dropping-off this morning, slava ukraini

PRAY
FOR
MOJO

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Organ Fiend posted:

well, you have to keep in mind it's the US saying this stuff, you'd need a crystal ball to guess what Zelenskyy and the Ukrainian government think is realistic.

The cynical (and quite probably correct) take is that the US sees public support for continued and escalated funding of the war fading, and wants to signal openness to negotiations to Ukraine as well as internal audiences so that public opinion doesn't fade faster than NATO can achieve its goals. But may or may not be actually open to said negotiation.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Majorian posted:

This is really interesting stuff, thanks for posting it! I had no idea about the Irish demographic history in Canada. It's a good analogy to how the West views Ukraine, too, IMO.

you should look up the attempt of catholic Irish Americans to invade Canada ‘the finnegan raid’ if you want a hearty laugh.

although the Finnegans pulled of a really daring island prison break in Australia that really is movie material, very interesting story!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

well, you have to keep in mind it's the US saying this stuff, you'd need a crystal ball to guess what Zelenskyy and the Ukrainian government think is realistic.

The cynical (and quite probably correct) take is that the US sees public support for continued and escalated funding of the war fading, and wants to signal openness to negotiations to Ukraine as well as internal audiences so that public opinion doesn't fade faster than NATO can achieve its goals. But may or may not be actually open to said negotiation.

As with all things, looking at the literature on Georgia leads to people being more candid than they are about Ukraine. Specifically there is a good deal of anger that Georgia negotiated an end to the war:

"In 2008 Russia invaded Georgia, occupied 20 percent of its territory, and got away with it. As a result, today we are all Georgians, in the sense that we are all victims of various forms of Russian aggression emanating from an emboldened Kremlin. The August 2008 invasion of Georgia was a Beta test for future aggression against Russia’s neighbors and a dry run for the tactics and strategies that would later be deployed in the 2014 invasion of Ukraine...Thirteen years ago, a new era of Kremlin aggression began and it went unchecked. Today we are paying the price."

"The conflict provided a number of lessons. First, Putin was prepared to start a war in order to force a country that he regarded as within Russia’s sphere of influence to heel. Putin repeated this with Ukraine in 2014. Second, the US was not able to prevent the conflict (though it tried), but was able to prevent Putin from destroying Georgian sovereignty in the immediate aftermath. The US was able to do much the same for Ukraine: it could not reverse Russia’s immediate gains in Ukraine, but did help Ukraine prevent Putin from destroying Ukrainian sovereignty."

"Thirdly, while Georgia successfully defended its sovereignty with US and European support, it did not use the time gained to strengthen the country from within. Saakashvili’s successor, the Georgian oligarch Bidzina Ivanishvili, won election by capitalizing on Saakashvili’s shortcomings, but has neither continued Saakashvili’s most successful reforms nor launched his own. Georgia’s politics have drifted, with Russian influence slowly growing. Ukraine has done somewhat better maintaining, albeit unevenly, its own reforms, even though it remains under even greater threat of Russian aggression than Georgia."

"The weak international response to Russia’s invasion of Georgia greenlighted Russia’s subsequent military assault on Ukraine. Many senior officials of transatlantic governments with whom I worked to mediate the conflicts over Georgia’s breakaway regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia condemned Russia’s invasion, but also blamed then-Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili for provoking Vladimir Putin. Hence, the ceasefire agreement brokered by French President Nicolas Sarkozy was one-sided in favor of Moscow, while the subsequent EU report about the five-day war (incorrectly) blamed Georgia for firing the first shots. Later in 2008, Paris announced plans to sell Russia a Mistral-class helicopter carrier, prompting a Deputy Chief of the Russian General Staff to declare how much easier it would have been to defeat Georgia with the ship already in Russia’s arsenal."

"The Georgian army held out for two days, but on the third day its lines broke and it retreated toward Tbilisi. The Russians advanced but, with the Georgian army prepared to fight for the capital, stopped short. French President Nicolas Sarkozy then negotiated a flawed ceasefire. US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice flew to France and Georgia with fighting still flaring, worked out corrections to the ceasefire, and obtained Saakashvili’s signature."

There's no use to it because liberals deliberately have no memory, but you can very easily link what the perceived shortcomings of the Georgia War were - Why agree to a truce rather than destroy the capital? Why allow mention that the war had causes? Why allow a ceasefire at all? - with the course corrections that have brought us here. They say so in their own words.

"The reaction of the West was slow and weak. French President Nicolas Sarkozy negotiated ceasefire terms that Moscow largely violated without consequence. The Kremlin learned that the West preferred to ignore or at least minimize Russian bad behavior in the so-called Near Abroad."

So, maximalist war, no negotiation, no ceasefire.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Nov 7, 2022

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking about a good way to explain what happened in terms readily comparable to the English-speaking world and I think I have one.

Canada has an Irish culture totally at odds, as in diametrically opposed, to how it's understood in Ireland and the rest of the English-speaking world. The reason is that Canada all-but banned immigration of Irish Catholics but went out of the way to encourage the immigration of Irish Protestants so that uniquely the vast majority of Irish in (English) Canada are Proddies. This is opposed to the demographics of the two Irelands, past and present, but also contrasts with Australia, who received mostly transported Irish Catholics and the US, which received mostly Irish Catholics fleeing the Great Famine. Even during the Great Famine, when there was a great deal of traffic to Montreal, what Irish Catholics that landed here went to the States as soon as they were able, or stayed in Montreal if they were too poor or sick to travel to the US.

So, what it means to be "Irish" in Canada (the Belfast of the North) is very different than what it means anywhere else, just like what it means to be "Ukrainian" in Canada is very different than what it meant in the majority of Ukraine. We have an Irish culture created by Ulstermen in the image of Ulster, similarly we have allowed Galicians to create a picture of Ukraine in the image of Galicia. Canadian Irish were militant supporters of the Orange Order, the Political activities of the Ukrainian diaspora here are well known. Iirc Canadian support for the UDR/RUC and Crown was much higher than it ever was for the IRA and I only ever heard the IRA referred to as terrorists, in the media and by everyone I knew, growing up in the 90's and 2000's. In the same way that being Irish means to fight for King and Country, the Ukrainian "national struggle" as understood here, means to have fought against the USSR, rather than having been part of it.

Most, and by that it's got to be 90% these days, of Canadians are oblivious to this, because how would they know? We have Irish bars, just like Australia and the US, and how would you know which names are Scots Gaelic instead of Irish or that the Red Hand of Ulster is not the kind of ticky tacky Irish pub decoration found in Ireland? It's totally normal for the Union Jack to be generic pub decoration in Irish pubs and nobody would really think about that or even notice. As far as anyone here is concerned, that's just what Irish culture is, it's uncontroversial. "Irish" dress here is as often as not Lowland Scot, most places have "Scottish and Irish" Stores (so, Scots-Irish), but who is going to know if people wear trews in Ireland? You just go there to get plum pudding to bring to Christmas or to look for a tartan scarf or cable knit sweater, or an outfit for a wedding, and there's not much to it.

Same thing with Ukraine. People see flower crowns and "national costume" and hear the "national story" and that's it. Ukrainian culture is pretty common in Canada, I grew up knowing pierogis as varenyky, and understanding all Ukrainians are Catholic, and that's all there was to it.

So, you know, these things happen. People aren't going to interrogate these assumptions and it lets a lot of stuff go by under the radar.

tower of babel rear end civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Al-Saqr posted:

you should look up the attempt of catholic Irish Americans to invade Canada ‘the finnegan raid’ if you want a hearty laugh.

although the Finnegans pulled of a really daring island prison break in Australia that really is movie material, very interesting story!

You're thinking of the Fenian raids. The raids are an important bit of history, theres a direct throughput from the Irish Republican Brotherhoods (IRBs) activities in North America to the 1916 rising and the war of independence.

You might find these interesting.

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/david-cronin/watch-how-britain-wanted-jewish-ulster-palestine

https://www.historyireland.com/loyalism-and-british-israelism/

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/winston-churchill-sent-the-black-and-tans-to-palestine-1.3089140

Southpaugh has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Nov 7, 2022