Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Do nor play bloodborne. Play the best fromsoft game elden ring and forget the rest.

This is the most hosed up thing i've ever seen on these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Well I got laid off this morning. On the plus side, I won't have to use vacation to play God of War.

Pulse check, would anyone here watch a grown man with bad Kratos face paint play video games if I stream it on Wednesday?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

congrats to the guy who just got a PS5 and still has the ps4 games to play.

Play blood borne

This is also me and I just played blood borne!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ok I got my dude to the Sanctuary in Sifu at age 28... now to beat this fucker end boss!!

Gotta beat him before GOW comes out

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

bows1 posted:

Ok I got my dude to the Sanctuary in Sifu at age 28... now to beat this fucker end boss!!

Gotta beat him before GOW comes out

Hope you've practiced parries

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

Stray was very good.

I got the Stray deluxe edition.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Hootington posted:

Do nor play bloodborne. Play the best fromsoft game elden ring and forget the rest.

I spent the most time playing Elden Ring but I still think Sekiro is the best complete experience they have done from story to gameplay to visual design.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Finished GoW 2018 last night. Impressive game with flaws that are thrown into stark contrast with the level of polish on everything else. I got a bit of the same feel that I got from Cyberpunk -- a well-done game with a lot of heart and technical excellence, but still clinging to certain design decisions that weren't fleshed out well enough or just don't mesh well with the whole. Fun, chunky combat that makes you feel like a badass, but stuff like the cinematic camera stops it from being as tight as a FromSoft game. Very cool exploration and puzzle solving, but the "fast-travel" system is so slow that it's still an ordeal to backtrack to old locations to find what else you can unlock.

Were Niflheim and Muspelheim originally supposed to be DLC? They seemed kinda superfluous -- a series of arena battles with no real storyline, and then a half-assed "roguelike" with a single map to grind out chests. They don't seem like an organic part of the game -- my impression was that the devs got nervous near the end of the dev cycle, when they realized they'd done this whole thing with realm travel but most of the destinations on the realm transfer thingie were unavailable, so they churned out a couple quick detatched "realms" so we wouldn't feel like the whole game was just Midgard and Alfheim. It was kind of a letdown to find out the best armor and two of the valkyries were behind them, but I guess you can get through the game perfectly well using gear that maxes out at 5 or 6.

I do have to give them a lot of credit, though, for letting the game end on a poignant, emotional note with Kratos and Boy finally scattering his mother's ashes from the mountain. I thought for sure we'd end up having Odin come after us so they could jam in a huge boss battle spectacle at the very end, and I'm impressed they managed to restrain themselves. Baldur was kind of a weak antagonist, just this lanky white trash cocksucker who you'd never think could be a real threat to Kratos. But for the story they were telling, they didn't need a big superpowered shadow of darkness to fight, so it was somewhat appropriate for the "boss" to be this loser with mommy issues to contrast Kratos and Boy's relationship. Great game -- I'd love to call it an A+ just based on story and gamefeel, but it's more like a very solid 85 when all the issues are taken into account.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 7, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Stray gave me the emotions, possibly because I own two cats. I quite liked the game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sekiro is absolutely the best FromSoft game. Super polished, extremely addicting combat, well realized setting, and lacking the jank all the other FromSoft games (even Elden Ring) have.

The combat and platforming are so different from their other titles that I can’t just recommended it to every Souls fan without caveats, but is my favorite for sure.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bugblatter posted:

Sekiro is absolutely the best FromSoft game. Super polished, extremely addicting combat, well realized setting, and lacking the jank all the other FromSoft games (even Elden Ring) have.

The combat and platforming are so different from their other titles that I can’t just recommended it to every Souls fan without caveats, but is my favorite for sure.

Best game of all time. Got the platinum, and I've beaten it about ... 15 times? Its perfect in every way

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Phenotype posted:

Finished GoW 2018 last night. Impressive game with flaws that are thrown into stark contrast with the level of polish on everything else. I got a bit of the same feel that I got from Cyberpunk -- a well-done game with a lot of heart and technical excellence, but still clinging to certain design decisions that weren't fleshed out well enough or just don't mesh well with the whole. Fun, chunky combat that makes you feel like a badass, but stuff like the cinematic camera stops it from being as tight as a FromSoft game. Very cool exploration and puzzle solving, but the "fast-travel" system is so slow that it's still an ordeal to backtrack to old locations to find what else you can unlock.

Were Niflheim and Muspelheim originally supposed to be DLC? They seemed kinda superfluous -- a series of arena battles with no real storyline, and then a half-assed "roguelike" with a single map to grind out chests. They don't seem like an organic part of the game -- my impression was that the devs got nervous near the end of the dev cycle, when they realized they'd done this whole thing with realm travel but most of the destinations on the realm transfer thingie were unavailable, so they churned out a couple quick detatched "realms" so we wouldn't feel like the whole game was just Midgard and Alfheim. It was kind of a letdown to find out the best armor and two of the valkyries were behind them, but I guess you can get through the game perfectly well using gear that maxes out at 5 or 6.

I do have to give them a lot of credit, though, for letting the game end on a poignant, emotional note with Kratos and Boy finally scattering his mother's ashes from the mountain. I thought for sure we'd end up having Odin come after us so they could jam in a huge boss battle spectacle at the very end, and I'm impressed they managed to restrain themselves. Baldur was kind of a weak antagonist, just this lanky white trash cocksucker who you'd never think could be a real threat to Kratos. But for the story they were telling, they didn't need a big superpowered shadow of darkness to fight, so it was somewhat appropriate for the "boss" to be this loser with mommy issues to contrast Kratos and Boy's relationship. Great game -- I'd love to call it an A+ just based on story and gamefeel, but it's more like a very solid 85 when all the issues are taken into account.

This is totally fair. I'd say the game is between an 85-90 for sure. Which is an incredible score.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phenotype posted:

I think that's just an unavoidable syndrome of being the kind of four-quadrant AAAA project that gets the budget and platform owner support that produces a game like God of War. You have to have every type of activity imaginable, including challenge areas that let you take a break from the narrative to exercise your efficiency and adaptability

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was gonna go for GoW platinum before GoW2, I went back and beat Sigrun and various other things I didn't do before, but now I see that there's no easy way to find the ~30 ravens and handful of chests that remain, just a vague "somewhere in this massive region of Midgard are 2 ravens" and an online guide I'd have to follow. I guess I was expecting with all its other QoL features to get some kind of raven radar or something at the end.

Was fun going back for the lower-hanging fruit though. I had missed some of the puzzle islands and side-dungeons that were fun. Agree about the fog realm especially being a bit unnecessary. But it was nice artistically seeing the realm a bit I suppose.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Things Dark Souls 1 does better than Sekiro (caveat: I enjoy them both although I have never beaten Sekiro legitimately so my opinions don't count for anything)

1. The Dark Souls story compelled me to learn more about the game and to do things like read game specific wiki's, things felt hidden and asked you to seek out answers. Sekiro's was just there.
2. its much more accessible, you can outright break souls 1, you can you as a sorcerer (easy mode) or you can choose dozens of different builds. Sekiro says "this is me, get good" which is just not something I want from a game ever, its far too frustrating
3. The world map of Dark Souls is an accomplishment in itself, I could look at a 3d model of the Dark Souls 1 world for hours, I don't remember Sekiro much past "Ashina".

I admire a lot about the world and the design and the look of Sekiro but I just cannot tolerate a game that asks me to reach some required level of "skill" to experience it, not because I can't (i did eventually beat Dark Souls 1 after about 5 years) but because I'm easily frustrated and inclined to just shut off something that is frustrating me rather than rise to the challenge.

I fought that loving Ape loving 150+ times man, I really loving tried but at the end of the day I just realized the joy wasn't there for me and youtubed the rest of the game, maybe one day I'll go back and Finish it but I have 3 and a half souls games + Elden Ring to get through first

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the problem with Niflheim is that you’ve “solved” it within 2-3 runs, and then there’s nothing to do but loop through it over and over for rewards you don’t need. Muspelheim at least changes up the objectives

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat Sekiro once just to spite it and will probably never touch it again. I appreciated what it was going for and 'getting good' at the combat felt decent eventually but I play From souls games to explore hostile hosed up worlds that don't want you there and while there was some of that it's not the focus. It absolutely has the best combat From has ever done but that's just not why I play them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sekiro has my favorite of their maps too. It twists around and you can see bits of it from other places like their other games. The descent into the depths as things become more and more of a Japanese horror story was awesome, and the travel up to the mountain heights after was awe striking. I suppose it follows a similar path as going into the Depths and then Blighttown, followed by the ascent to Anor Alonso, and the vertical world is similar to Lordran in many ways, just with a Japanese twist… but it’s a refinement and it doesn’t suffer in the back half like DS1 does. Every section is distinct and fun.

I do get how the game is not enjoyable if you don’t click with the combat though. The hyper focus on one play style is why it’s so polished, but it pretty much excludes anyone who doesn’t want that one specific combat loop.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sekiro and Elden Ring our apples and oranges. No point in a direct comparison.

I think of them as the two polar opposite ends of From’s design ethos.

If you want the combat framework they often use to be polished up to a mirror sheen,play Sekiro.

If you’re into a flexible toybox that doesn’t care whether you break it or not, but gives you those tools all the same,Elden Ring is what you want.

Regardless of what you prefer, i think they are both games that accomplish what they set out to do perfectly. I think it’s just down to personal taste.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Sekiro combat was fantastic but it was not made for the Guardian Ape fight

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Sekiro combat was fantastic but it was not made for the Guardian Ape fight

Veeg....

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mcmagic posted:

I got the Stray deluxe edition.

😻😻😻😻

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

you can't use videogames against me, he's the only other person on the internet i've ever seen who liked Lost Izalith

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Always tempted to post that video where I did Guardian Ape’s first phase in like 40 seconds

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Electromax posted:

I was gonna go for GoW platinum before GoW2, I went back and beat Sigrun and various other things I didn't do before, but now I see that there's no easy way to find the ~30 ravens and handful of chests that remain, just a vague "somewhere in this massive region of Midgard are 2 ravens" and an online guide I'd have to follow. I guess I was expecting with all its other QoL features to get some kind of raven radar or something at the end.

Was fun going back for the lower-hanging fruit though. I had missed some of the puzzle islands and side-dungeons that were fun. Agree about the fog realm especially being a bit unnecessary. But it was nice artistically seeing the realm a bit I suppose.

Nah if you hover on the map you can see the raven counts on each of the small sub zones (like Iron Cove 0/2 etc), making it much easier to hunt them down. Some of them are really well hidden though, so practically you want to follow a guide and get it done in an hour of fast traveling around.

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 7, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Nah if you hover on the map you can see the raven counts on each of the small sub zones (like Iron Cove 0/2 etc), making it much easier to hunt them down. Some of them are really well hidden though, so practically you want to follow a guide and get it done in an hour of fast traveling around.

Yeah, that makes it easier but it's still a matter of combing the boundaries of the game world looking for a faint green flicker or listening for caws that are slightly different from the caws of non-collectible crows. I remember when I got the platinum the last crow I found was almost impossible to see because it was right next to a big light bloom. They should absolutely have added a crow detector to the postgame

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
They make a pretty distinctive screech too, but yeah there’s a few quiet and overly well hidden ones. If you use a guide it really isn’t too bad.

On track to get the GoW2018 plat by tonight or tomorrow night, just in time for Ragnarok. :dance:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/MissMikkaa/status/1589390551170023425

That's some dedication right there. Probably would have taken me 12 hours and 216 tries with the gamepad on regular difficulty, let alone on a dance pad.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
What's the likelihood of scoring a PS5 for this holiday season? I was going to wait until the next version, but if I can buy one without having to set an alarm for 2am, I might pick one up. I don't mind paying extra for bundles, will that give me an edge? I want the disc version so I can use it as a blu-ray player.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Trickortreat posted:

What's the likelihood of scoring a PS5 for this holiday season? I was going to wait until the next version, but if I can buy one without having to set an alarm for 2am, I might pick one up. I don't mind paying extra for bundles, will that give me an edge? I want the disc version so I can use it as a blu-ray player.

We're seeing more of them available in stores. They're still selling quickly, but I'd say there's a decent chance you can snag one.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I'm assuming we are still a far way out from the next version of the console coming out, right? I wanted to wait out the initial batch to let them work out all the issues associated with new consoles, and I just don't want to buy one and have them release a better version the next month or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't heard any rumblings about a Pro version of the PS5 coming down the line any time soon, and indeed people I've been following have suggested that mid-generation hardware revisions are less likely/feasible this generation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trickortreat posted:

I got mine because my PS4 kicked the bucket, and when I went to Gamestop to get a used 4, the clerk informed me that they were getting some PS5s in that Sunday for members. I gave him the 15 dollars for the membership right there.

I was like 3rd in line on Sunday morning by showing up an hour early. This was October though, so you might have to fight a bit harder since it's officially Christmas time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Trickortreat posted:

If you do get a bundle, I'd recommend Forbidden West, but really anything besides Gotham Knights is a decent bundle as far as I can tell.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Trickortreat posted:

I'm assuming we are still a far way out from the next version of the console coming out, right? I wanted to wait out the initial batch to let them work out all the issues associated with new consoles, and I just don't want to buy one and have them release a better version the next month or something.

The most concrete rumor I've seen about a hardware refresh is that Sony might phase out the disc PS5 and sell an external drive accessory for those that want physical games. So I don't think you have to be worried about a better PS5 getting announced anytime soon.

edit: Also there's already been one internal refresh, starting a couple months ago I think. The SOC got a die shrink so it's producing less heat, and the cooling system got shrunk accordingly. If you buy a PS5 now you'll have a slightly lighter and cooler model than us idiots who rushed to get a PS5 at launch so we could play PS4 games on newer hardware.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 7, 2022

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Also online bundles usually stay up for a while, but they are a bundle so more expensive. I did a gamestop bundle that had Ratchet and Clank (which I wanted anyway) and NBA2K21 (which I didn’t, but it was literally right when that game came out so I was able to trade it back into gamestop for 90% of it’s value in exchange for Demon’s Souls). Originally the bundle was for “members” only, but they had so many that it was then opened up to everyone.At that point you had about 2-3 hours where it was available.

I imagine you will probably want to try to get one before the holiday rush, though. I can’t imagine a Pro or even a slim coming out anytime soon (especially not the Pro). Sony does seem to be putting out versions with internal revisions related to cooling, but nothing that is directly user facing and not listed on the box rare of maybe a serial number.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 7, 2022

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

FireWorksWell posted:

Hope you've practiced parries

Got his rear end!

Sifu: Really fun game. solid 7/10, good arcade vibes once you get deep into it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

bows1 posted:

Got his rear end!

Sifu: Really fun game. solid 7/10, good arcade vibes once you get deep into it.

I really hope we get more content for it. One of those games where you really feel like a badass for getting good at it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How does Kingdom Come: Deliverance run on the ps5? I’ve been putting it off for a long time even though everyone describes it as my dream game lol. I just remembered I have it for free now thanks to Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Devs are alt-right fucklords according to a discussion in the discord earlier so I wouldn’t worry about it