Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

no it was that they couldn't reach a consensus on how hard to spike the ball

We can't rely on their incompetence forever. Unlike the Democrats, the Republicans actually seem capable of learning.

As far as blowback, the far right has been making gains over the past decade. Probably enough that they're willing to take some risk to move the ball "forward" on some of their big ticket issues. Even if it backfires and the Dems take some/all of their losses back in the following election, it's not like they'll have the guts to actually UNDO any of the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1589379020688617472

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Will that ramp up the "Ukraine will just use them to attack Russian homes" rhetoric?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

It's gone. :shrug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ISW has been commenting on Prigozhin's concentration of political power over the past couple of months. Apparently this happened:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-november-6

quote:

Wagner Group financier Yevgeny Prigozhin confirmed on November 6 that the Wagner Group is creating training and management centers for local “people’s militias” in Kursk and Belgorod oblasts.

Dude's totally gonna attempt a coup.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

psydude posted:

ISW has been commenting on Prigozhin's concentration of political power over the past couple of months. Apparently this happened:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-november-6

"What if we had Blackwater do Sturmabteilung?"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

He's just gonna do the Himmler thing and build an army in addition to the army. Which could backfire if Putin decides to go for a negotiated peace some day, but since he doesn't seem inclined to do so so far...

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

"What if we had Blackwater do Sturmabteilung?"

They would just skip a lot of steps and immediately become the SS. Except with personal loyalty to the other guy. The one with the actual SS tattoos. Fun times!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

He's just gonna do the Himmler thing and build an army in addition to the army. Which could backfire if Putin decides to go for a negotiated peace some day, but since he doesn't seem inclined to do so so far...

Wagner is already an army in addition to the army. Also, nothing Nazi or SS at all about an armed force named Wagner headed by a guy with SS tattoos.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I dunno if this is really setting up a personally loyal cadre of troops so much as it is Wagner getting turned into another arm of Russian mobilization. My understanding is that Wagner had relatively high recruitment and training standards prior to the war, and since then the pressure of Russian military needs have driven them to start bottom-feeding (i.e. with the prison recruitment) and they weren't happy about it. It's possible that this deal with the people's militia is a way for them to get the cannon fodder Moscow is demanding without compromising the cohesion and standards of their surviving core troops, as well as offloading the work of mobilization from politically fraught and bureaucratically fragile government offices to more or less voluntary mercenary recruitment using corporate bureaucracy.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

psydude posted:

I think there's no person more immediately loyal to Putin in Russia than Prigozhin. He's not going to start a coup against Putin. I also think that immediately after Putin kicks it (which is likely to happen in the next half a decade in one way or another) he will do anything and everything to be the next head honcho. This is a part of preparing for that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The guy who literally blesses SS-18 Satan got got.

Flavahbeast posted:

that's an incredible job title

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1589497021534072832?s=20&t=4TtCmoB23LOg-XEIyYgoAw

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"DJ Slava, you have been conscripted for your ability to lay down sick beats. You will also be in charge of laying down hay to make stages."

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

That is the epitome of "mandatory fun."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"DJ Slava, you have been conscripted for your ability to lay down sick beats. You will also be in charge of laying down hay to make stages."

you will also lay down sick beatings until morale improves

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I notice that all implements of murder have been removed from all fun volunteers.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They have formed a tight defensive encirclement to contain the decadent western sirens

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

plz censor this unfiltered footage of dedovschina

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Murgos posted:

Wagner is already an army in addition to the army. Also, nothing Nazi or SS at all about an armed force named Wagner headed by a guy with SS tattoos.

Yeah but afaik them adding helicopters and SAMs is relatively recent, so they're expanding their army-ness.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Clint Black flew into Somalia and sat on a stool and played music for me and less than 10 others and chatted with us for an hour.

Was pretty cool.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Murgos posted:

Clint Black flew into Somalia and sat on a stool and played music for me and less than 10 others and chatted with us for an hour.

Was pretty cool.

When the rest of my unit was ordered to put on our dress uniforms and attend a performance of Tops In Blue, the USAF's tragic variety show/singing group, I instead hid under my bed, because no Air Force punishment would be worse than watching that show.

Whereas, for these Russians, every minute they're watching... whatever that was... is I suppose a minute that they're not stealing washing machines, committing war crimes, or getting turned into mulch, so I guess that's strong motivation to play along.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://theins.ru/en/news/256786

A good article about some recent Russian military disasters. Hundreds of marines were killed near Vuhledar and Ukraine received new shipments of SAM systems. Pavlivka is mauling the RUAF.

article posted:

On the evening of November 6, the Russian Pacific Fleets 155th Separate Guards Marine Brigade was revealed to be in critical condition. The soldiers stationed near Pavlivka (a village in the Marinka district of the Donetsk Region of Ukraine) in the Vuhledar area handed the governor of Russias Primorye a letter complaining about the command and asking him to send a commission to stop an ill-planned and unprepared attack on the Ukrainian armys positions.

The letter was published in full in the Wagner PMC-affiliated Telegram channel Grey Zone. The Russian servicemen wrote that the 155th Brigade had lost 300 men killed, wounded and missing in action in 4 days of the offensive, and lost 50% of its equipment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arc Light posted:

When the rest of my unit was ordered to put on our dress uniforms and attend a performance of Tops In Blue, the USAF's tragic variety show/singing group, I instead hid under my bed, because no Air Force punishment would be worse than watching that show.

Well now I want to know more about this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://youtu.be/DsV4CBOGidg

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Clap and respond when the singer challenges you with song or else.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Clap and respond when the singer challenges you with song or it's Siberia for you.

Do you not think that Russian conscripts would prefer going to Siberia instead of getting shot at by Ukrainians.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VictualSquid posted:

Do you not think that Russian conscripts would prefer going to Siberia instead of getting shot at by Ukrainians.

The Gulag is the lesser of the 2 evils.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arc Light posted:

:lol: In dress uniforms? What the absolute gently caress.

I saw about 15 minutes of a TiB show downrange. The performers were talented, but, I just didn't give a single gently caress about their nonsense.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arc Light posted:

CBJSprague24 posted:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Godholio posted:

:lol: In dress uniforms? What the absolute gently caress.

I saw about 15 minutes of a TiB show downrange. The performers were talented, but, I just didn't give a single gently caress about their nonsense.

One of my friends had an Air Force wedding where anyone who is or was In could wear their dress uniforms and I felt for them because, as a civilian, I was around while the mess dress was donned and all I could think of was "All the nope I have".

In other words:

CBJSprague24 posted:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In Bagram an all-hands went out for anyone from my state to show up to the HQ. Some Republican rear end in a top hat was doing a photo op and wanted R TRUPS to support him. It was heavily suggested by a large number of stars on multiple chests that I should not object so I did not.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't want to poo poo up the Ukraine thread, so here's the short version: I was in tech school (USAF version of AIT/MOS School/A-School for the non-USAF in the thread) back in October 2008, and we were used as a rent-a-crowd for Tops In Blue. No rational person would willingly attend their concerts, so we were ordered to form up at 1700 in our service uniforms (Class B short sleeve) to fill up the auditorium.

The guys who had been in the unit longer than me had already been through this before, and their description of Tops In Blue convinced me an NJP would be better than attending. So I hid under my bed while the MTLs went room to room looking for stragglers. Didn't get caught. All my buddies spent a few hours watching a terrible singing routine, while I played Ace Combat in my room.

For those who've never heard of Tops In Blue, it was a team of Airmen who dressed up to cover the top hits of the last ~70 years. Mostly from before you were born. Yes, you, the person reading this, no matter how old you are. Get ready for the best tunes of the 1950s. All performers were drawn from operational active duty units, and not backfilled. So, when one of my coworkers spent a year on the road with Tops In Blue, the rest of us got to work harder to cover for their absence. It eventually died off shortly after its founder did of old age, when someone finally asked "How much taxpayer money are we spending on this, and why do we need to order junior enlisted to attend the shows?"

Ready to be impressed? You be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAn8OaF0m0

Anyway, I'm inclined to think the Russians have the better uniformed musical options.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Arc Light posted:

I don't want to poo poo up the Ukraine thread, so here's the short version: I was in tech school (USAF version of AIT/MOS School/A-School for the non-USAF in the thread) back in October 2008, and we were used as a rent-a-crowd for Tops In Blue. No rational person would willingly attend their concerts, so we were ordered to form up at 1700 in our service uniforms (Class B short sleeve) to fill up the auditorium.

The guys who had been in the unit longer than me had already been through this before, and their description of Tops In Blue convinced me an NJP would be better than attending. So I hid under my bed while the MTLs went room to room looking for stragglers. Didn't get caught. All my buddies spent a few hours watching a terrible singing routine, while I played Ace Combat in my room.

For those who've never heard of Tops In Blue, it was a team of Airmen who dressed up to cover the top hits of the last ~70 years. Mostly from before you were born. Yes, you, the person reading this, no matter how old you are. Get ready for the best tunes of the 1950s. All performers were drawn from operational active duty units, and not backfilled. So, when one of my coworkers spent a year on the road with Tops In Blue, the rest of us got to work harder to cover for their absence. It eventually died off shortly after its founder did of old age, when someone finally asked "How much taxpayer money are we spending on this, and why do we need to order junior enlisted to attend the shows?"

Anyway, I'm inclined to think the Russians have the better uniformed musical options.

I scrolled far enough to a random spot in the video which had a Barbershop quartet and immediately noped out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arc Light posted:

I watched about ten seconds and decided they should be deployed to Ukraine as psychological warfare.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Arc Light posted:

when someone finally asked "How much taxpayer money are we spending on this

I believed you until you got to this part

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I believed you until you got to this part

That someone was a congresswoman. lol forever at the idea the Air Force would ever cut back on its own fraud, waste, and abuse.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/pentagons-bands-battle-223435

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird food bathtub posted:

In Bagram an all-hands went out for anyone from my state to show up to the HQ. Some Republican rear end in a top hat was doing a photo op and wanted R TRUPS to support him. It was heavily suggested by a large number of stars on multiple chests that I should not object so I did not.

This happened to me in Balad, but it was a mixed flight of politicians. I got nabbed up because I enlisted from Tennessee.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

gently caress off you fuckers you do not get to ruin kino like that

that aside they're basically dadrock to the elder zoomers getting mobilized, so i suppose i can at least laugh at that aspect. nirvana's dadrock at this point, right?

somehow, it's seemingly still less bad than Tops In Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird food bathtub posted:

Did the general get a recent pardon from said president?