Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

maruhkati posted:

We'll know that they've finally come out and admitted how hosed we all are when we stop seeing billionaires doing dumb quasi-futuristic moonshot poo poo, whether it be the Metaverse or whatever fake companies Musk & co. have set up to supposedly settle on Mars. 2001: A Space Odyssey was a watershed moment in modern culture: the moment when the humanist alternative to "pie in the sky when you die" was most clearly and eloquently articulated. Yeah, sure, okay, that whole Second Coming, Kingdom of Heaven thing turned out to be a dud, but we don't need all that, see? Eventually we'll be good enough at making these wonderful gadgets that we'll transcend humanity and maybe even God, too, out there jettin' around space high-fiving all the aliens.

Forget the Fermi paradox, pay it no mind. I'm sure we're just not enlightened enough to see the technological civilizations that are for-sure out there. Now invest in crypto!

It's going to be a very, very nasty shock to a lot of level-headed atheists when they realize that just because we're not going to heaven doesn't mean we're going to Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite. And not the kind of surprise that'll make me go "lmao losers, you thought." This poo poo's legitimately tragic. We're gonna die right here, in a hotbox created by the one innovation that actually mattered: the ingenious invention of setting smelly things on fire.

No one's gonna be around to learn lessons from it, our corpses will attract zero interest.

I have confidence in the bird-men who come after us, that they will find some treasures in our wreckage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the pyramid makes this image

The Pharaoh of Nashville has displeased the gods

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

the pyramid makes this image

The Pharaoh of Nashville has displeased the gods

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYE-1HfReQo

I grew up in memphis and went to pyramid for concerts and stuff before it was a bass pro shop and the joke was always that the drat thing was sinking. I saw Manheim steamroller there with Tyler in middle school who tried to make out with me >.> Thats my pyramid story.

I seriously thought it was gonna get torn down once the fedex forum got built.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Red wave.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Leigh_Phillips/status/1589365633153892352

lol apparently the guy who wrote "The People's Republic of Walmart" is a gigantic moron???

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that is a pretty intolerable twitter guy

https://twitter.com/Leigh_Phillips/status/1589407247918305282

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

we'll just replace fossil fuels with an equally dense and mobile fuel, just like we replaced freon. very simple. maybe if you had studied science and technology like me instead of wasting your time on liberal arts and twerking, you'd understand.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

maruhkati posted:

our corpses, zero interest!

mystes
May 31, 2006

The ozone hole is kind of a good comparison because it was solved with... a massive planet-wide effort to eliminate use of CFCs.

It was not solved by waiting 50 years in the hope that we would develop cfc sequestration technology or something like that

So I guess we just need to do the same thing with fossil fuels.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

my aesthetic preference for cruises

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mystes posted:

The ozone hole is kind of a good comparison because it was solved with... a massive planet-wide effort to eliminate use of CFCs.

It was not solved by waiting 50 years in the hope that we would develop cfc sequestration technology or something like that

So I guess we just need to do the same thing with fossil fuels.

The success of the campaign against freon is also part of the reason fossil fuel companies kicked denialism into high gear in the early 90s, because they saw what would happen to them

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I refuse to believe this isn’t sarcastic, like never once from any brained anyone have I heard someone say the ozone layer was more dire than climate change will be.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I’m convinced some of the naysayers here are paid to spread misinformation on climate action. There are commenters on this sub that say we should literally give up and do nothing, despite the science telling us we can still limit warming to 1.5c if we cut global emissions 45% by 2030 and hit net zero mid century. The defeatism is absurd.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cop27 is going to be an amazing source of media to torture this thread with

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

I refuse to believe this isn’t sarcastic, like never once from any brained anyone have I heard someone say the ozone layer was more dire than climate change will be.

If the ozone layer had been mostly or completely eradicated, the increase in UV radiation at Earth's surface would have doomed most of the animal kingdom on a relatively short timescale. Plants and fungi might have made it, but the ecosystem would have been radically different if it ever even reached equilibrium again.

It was absolutely an existential threat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

If the ozone layer had been mostly or completely eradicated, the increase in UV radiation at Earth's surface would have doomed most of the animal kingdom on a relatively short timescale. Plants and fungi might have made it, but the ecosystem would have been radically different if it ever even reached equilibrium again.

It was absolutely an existential threat.

do you have a link about this? I have only really heard about the increased cancer risks

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

do you have a link about this? I have only really heard about the increased cancer risks

the large majority of plants would not be able to sustain photosynthesis and would die within days or weeks.

food chain collapses. some large flora might last for a few years or decades.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Trabisnikof posted:

I’m convinced some of the naysayers here are paid to spread misinformation on climate action. There are commenters on this sub that say we should literally give up and do nothing, despite the science telling us we can still limit warming to 1.5c if we cut global emissions 45% by 2030 and hit net zero mid century. The defeatism is absurd.

The defeatism isn't about feasibility. It's about politics and real power.

The purpose of a system is what it does and our system pumps out more CO2 and Methane YoY until constraints prevent us from doing so. The goals of every industrialized capitalist nation on earth are at odds with taking action on the climate.

It's a gun fight where everyone has their Petroleum Super Soaker out pointed at their economy. Everyone is in agreement that if we keep spraying our crops and transportation and shipping and construction industries with juice, we'll destroy everything. But also the country that manages to use the most, before we stop wins the game of musical chairs we are playing beforehand. So no one will ever stop.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

the large majority of plants would not be able to sustain photosynthesis and would die within days or weeks.

food chain collapses. some large flora might last for a few years or decades.

Do you have a link I could read more about this at? The wiki page only has vastly more minor impacts:

quote:

Depletion of the ozone layer and allowing excess UVB radiation would initially be assumed to increase damage done to plant DNA. Reports have found that when plants are exposed to UVB radiation similar to stratospheric ozone depletion, there was no significant change in plant height or leaf mass, but showed a response in shoot biomass and leaf area with a small decrease.[81] However, UVB radiation has been shown to decrease quantum yield of photosystem II.[82] UVB damage only occurs under extreme exposure, and most plants also have UVB absorbing flavonoids which allow them to acclimatize to the radiation present. Plants experience different levels of UV radiation throughout the day. It is known that they are able to shift the levels and types of UV sunscreens (i.e. flavonoids), that they contain, throughout the day. This allows them to increase their protection against UV radiation.[83] Plants that have been affected by radiation throughout development are more affected by the inability to intercept light with a larger leaf area than having photosynthetic systems compromised.[84] Damage from UVB radiation is more likely to be significant on species interactions than on plants themselves.[85]

Another significant impact of ozone depletion on plant life is the stress experienced by plants when exposed to UV radiation. This can cause a decrease in plant growth and an increase in oxidative stress, due to the production of nitric oxide and hydrogen peroxide.[86] Reduction in plant growth will have important consequences in the long-term. It is projected that the plant productivity would decrease by 6% and there will be a reduction in the amount of carbon, plants would capture/sequester from the environment.

To be clear I’m not disbelieving you, just want to educate myself better.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you have a link I could read more about this at? The wiki page only has vastly more minor impacts:

To be clear I’m not disbelieving you, just want to educate myself better.

Right, those are effects from few-percent level ozone depletion. Total destruction of the ozone layer would lead to orders of magnitude more UV-B radiation than can even be achieved in a controlled experiment.

I'll poke around for something but that sort of thought experiment doesn't usually get written up, lol

edit: this is a pretty good review article on UVB effects in plants

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...c-Processes.pdf

mdemone has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Nov 7, 2022

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also the hole in the ozone layer is absolutely still a massive problem, it's just that the depletion is now mostly under control and contained to the antarctic which i'm sure has no long term knock on effects

one fun side effect of moving from CFCs to HFCs is that the latter are themselves a direct contributor to atmospheric warming

so in conclusion,

lol

lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

Right, those are effects from few-percent level ozone depletion. Total destruction of the ozone layer would lead to orders of magnitude more UV-B radiation than can even be achieved in a controlled experiment.

I'll poke around for something but that sort of thought experiment doesn't usually get written up, lol

edit: this is a pretty good review article on UVB effects in plants

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...c-Processes.pdf

Thanks for the link! Going back to the original tweet by the dufus, if total destruction of the ozone layer was far further away then climate change, I still don’t think I would consider it more of an existential threat than climate change.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Thanks for the link! Going back to the original tweet by the dufus, if total destruction of the ozone layer was far further away then climate change, I still don’t think I would consider it more of an existential threat than climate change.

That would be true in our case today. However in the CFC era it was not out of the realm of possibility. A significant fraction of the planet's ozone was lost, due to a technology that had only been around for 2-3 decades at most. Had the Montreal Protocol not been enacted when it was, the ozone layer plausibly could have been destroyed by now.

See isn't it nice to doomsay about something that *isn't* happening? Feels good man!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Trabisnikof posted:

cop27 is going to be an amazing source of media to torture this thread with

the cops are some of the best content we get (what other thread can say that amirite). sure the ship may have already split in half but lets form a pact to start lashing planks together to build it into a new, and better ship

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wakko posted:

the cops are some of the best content we get (what other thread can say that amirite). sure the ship may have already split in half but lets form a pact to start lashing planks together to build it into a new, and better ship

im waiting for the "wow these un freaks need to be less doompilled" Op-Eds coming this weekend

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I mean the super powerful deserve to throw a party and gloat about how pointless it all is too

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
when they taught me climate stuff a way back i distinctly remember them saying that the modelling that lead to the montreal protocol(which got rid of cfcs) showed : business as usual with cfcs>> human extinction by 2060ish due to all crops/plants dying

it was held up as a shining example of how international cooperation can work to solve global problems

i'll have to check if i have any of the model data/studies from the time

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/GreenRupertRead/status/1589671659216461824?t=H9C4M3Pd3dvOa-d4ueZlSQ&s=19

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

how inefficient are cruise ship infrastructure relative to land based population over the same amount of time?

this might be mainly a better way of quantifying/displaying total emission content of the equivalent population.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Seems strange the Mississippi, Yangtze, Tigris, Parana, Danube, Po and Loire Rivers are all drying out at the same time. Fortunately, it's not a big deal since most economic activity happens indoors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

King Charles III Hosts A Reception At Buckingham Palace Ahead Of The Cop27 Summit
LONDON, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 04: King Charles III plants a lime tree near the Tea House in the Buckingham Palace garden, for the Queen's Green Canopy (QGC), after hosting a reception for world leaders, business figures, environmentalists and NGOs, at Buckingham Palace ahead of the Cop27 Summit on November 4, 2022, in London, England. King Charles III will miss the gathering of world figures in Egypt next week but is likely to discuss issues around Cop27 and climate change with those invited to his royal residence. (Photo by Jonathan Brady - Pool/Getty Images)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1589694403790372864

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Armadillo Tank posted:

how inefficient are cruise ship infrastructure relative to land based population over the same amount of time?

this might be mainly a better way of quantifying/displaying total emission content of the equivalent population.

https://twitter.com/jesseb4me/status/1588997914231156736

Also, the above photo is photoshopped. Don't get me wrong, cruise ships are loving horrible for the environment, but they aren't a million cars bad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Also, the above photo is photoshopped. Don't get me wrong, cruise ships are loving horrible for the environment, but they aren't a million cars bad.

cruise ships are that bad on a particulate emissions level, but not a co2 emissions level.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Consider the methane as well from all the fat tourists farting

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Trabisnikof posted:

how are those cuts going by the way?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Wakko posted:

all COPs are bastards

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

This one probably is

Fuel oil is what many cruise ships operate on because its by far the cheapest option.
It IS ridiculous to compare a cruise ship to a million cars when there are a lot of factors in that comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Laterite posted:

also the hole in the ozone layer is absolutely still a massive problem, it's just that the depletion is now mostly under control and contained to the antarctic which i'm sure has no long term knock on effects

one fun side effect of moving from CFCs to HFCs is that the latter are themselves a direct contributor to atmospheric warming

so in conclusion,

lol

lmao

very little economic activity takes place in antarctica, so the effect should be negligible.