Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Goaz first met David Lynch while driving him to a memorial tribute to Roy Orbison where Lynch decided to cast him for the role of Deputy Andy Brennan in the TV series Twin Peaks.[4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

andy is the sexiest character they ever did

except for his son wally

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

except for his son wally

excited to see if that part makes me as angry when I rewatch it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mantis42 posted:

andy is the sexiest character they ever did

young me thought Sherilyn Fenn was incandescent

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

his ticket prices are bullshit

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

excited to see if that part makes me as angry when I rewatch it

angry? it was one of the funniest parts of the return! a highlight!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

angry? it was one of the funniest parts of the return! a highlight!

maybe I’ll get it this time, just didn’t like it idk

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how much of the monologue will be focused on trans people?

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1589104491206361088

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

maybe I’ll get it this time, just didn’t like it idk

no worries it's saul good man

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

idk the snl live audience is the perfect demographic for his new bit about low-income housing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

I just finished watching it and I got the same impression. The movie being very nice to Hindenburg and making him like possibly the only really sympathetic character in the movie? Giving no background to why the french officers acted the way they did. Also the random name drop of Bolshevism there too.

The creator is long dead, the rising tide of fascism doesn't have to ban his works anymore they just mangel it to completely destroy the point. Whose gonna correct you?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

black star's album last year was loving garbage and they don't have anything new coming out soon afaik lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Trans people are going to get blamed for the Democrat midterm defeat

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RandolphCarter posted:

watched fire walk with me last night, very depressing.

The pink room scene is so incredible, and going with subtitles was genius

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this is how you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's old and busted

e: lol those are almost the trans flag colors

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

yah I was just tellin someone about that scene the other day. so good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Laura letting Donna into her world and then realizing what a mistake it was, was a good capper for a harrowing scene.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this is the dream snl lineup of 1999

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe snl could get George W to host next. Definitely no Trump though, I assume he's blacklisted for the moment

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dave wants to bring back an all time classic character, too:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Maybe snl could get George W to host next. Definitely no Trump though, I assume he's blacklisted for the moment
Everyone involved is obviously scared to look even more unfunny when contrasted against a singular talent like Trump.

Serf
May 5, 2011

watching the netflix cabinet of curiosities and it's pretty funny how they managed to totally gently caress up the two lovecraft adaptations

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my 5 word review of It's Pat: more like It's Scat, amirite

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Serf posted:

watching the netflix cabinet of curiosities and it's pretty funny how they managed to totally gently caress up the two lovecraft adaptations

Neither of them have gently caress all to do with the stories they're based on. It's ridiculous.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Someone mentioned defence procurement in Star Wars. It's cannon that the X-Wing is the result of political manoeuvring by contractors:

"The new starfighter was intended to become the backbone of the Imperial Navy, but political forces led to the Galactic Empire deciding to rely on Sienar Fleet Systems' more affordable TIE line. The Alliance to Restore the Republic then adopted the X-wing design as its own."

It never made much sense how the rebels were able to procure and manufacture this sort of thing in secret, but if I remember the origins of a lot of the iconic Star Wars stuff is "the genius hero spaceship designer took his design to the rebels after his corporate rivals secured a deal with the Empire". Like if Northrop took their designs to the Soviets when the Pentagon went with Lockheed or something like that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah plus a lot of surplus and retrofits- Nebulon frigates and Y-Wings are modernized Clone Wars ships and at least in old canon Mon Cal cruisers are basically civilian ships with guns attached. Basically what I'm saying is I would absolutely watch Pentagon Star Wars

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Star Wars EU says Tie Fighters are cheaper and weaker than X-Wings, but I'm not sure that really matches up to the films. The main X-Wing pilot in the OT we see is a mutant with special abilities which throws off any comparison as well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Star Wars EU says Tie Fighters are cheaper and weaker than X-Wings, but I'm not sure that really matches up to the films. The main X-Wing pilot in the OT we see is a mutant with special abilities which throws off any comparison as well.

Well also in a game context they're either evenly matched or generic monks depending on what kind of game. I think they're supposed to be sort of like the Zero (if it was used by the side with industrial superiority)- cheap, lightly armored, and agile

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

quote:

Pat Riley is a chubby, whiny, and obnoxious job-hopper of indeterminate gender who is searching for a steady foundation in life. Pat falls in love with Chris (whose sex is also unrevealed to the audience) and the two get engaged. Meanwhile, Pat's neighbor Kyle develops an unhealthy obsession with identifying Pat's sex, and begins stalking them. He sends a tape of Pat performing karaoke to a TV show called America's Creepiest People, bringing them to the attention of the band Ween, who feature Pat in one of their performances, playing the tuba. When Pat learns that Ween intended to only use them for one gig, Pat and Chris break up.

Kyle steals Pat's laptop containing their diary and tries to coerce them into revealing the computer's password, so he can access the files. When Pat only answers that it's a word in the dictionary, Kyle begins manually trying every word in a dictionary. He eventually succeeds with the password "zythum" (an Egyptian malt beer), and reads the diary, but doesn't find the answer to his question, and finally snaps.

Meanwhile, a gang of thugs with the same goal begin harassing Pat, who becomes distraught over the thugs' androgynous nature. Pat complains to Kathy, a friend who is a therapist and host of a radio talk show. When Pat gives acerbic reactions to call-in listeners, the station fires Kathy and replaces her with Pat.

Kyle calls into Pat's radio show saying he has Pat's laptop, and sets up a meeting at the Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum to retrieve it. Pat arrives to find Kyle dressed exactly like Pat. Kyle demands that Pat strip naked, but Pat runs off into a Ween concert. After Kyle corners them on a catwalk, Pat falls. Their pants get torn off by a hook and they are lowered with their genitals exposed to the cheering concert audience, but not to Kyle nor those watching the movie. Kyle is subsequently taken away by security guards. Pat then runs to see Chris, just as Chris is leaving on an ocean liner. In an epilogue, Pat and Chris marry.

During the end credits, Kathy is now hosting her radio show again and the first caller is Kyle, whose obsession with Pat has driven him to cross-dressing.

Ween? Weird jokes about cross-dressing? Julia Sweeney? This sounds like the most 90s thing ever.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Kyle goes on to have a writing career examining gender and is published by the New York Times, the Atlantic, and Harper's. He's on a podcast with Katie Herzog and Jesse Singal, and is well known for his defense of J.K. Rowling.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Atrocious Joe posted:

IIRC one of the things that make them cheaper is that they don’t have hyperdrives like X-wings do so if they get stranded in deep space away from a star destroyer lmao

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

christmas boots posted:

IIRC one of the things that make them cheaper is that they don’t have hyperdrives like X-wings do so if they get stranded in deep space away from a star destroyer lmao
no sheilds either

TIEs are very much meant to outnumber and overwhelm

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

X-Wing VS Tie Fighter makes it pretty clear that the Tie Fighter sucks poo poo and only the Tie Interceptor is comparable to the X-Wing.

Edit: Also maybe Rogue Squadron.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:06 on Nov 7, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guy who read a bunch of EU books as a kid jumping in to confirm that in addition to the hyperdrive, X-Wings have proton torpedoes (the things Luke used to blow up the death star) and shields and twice as many lasers as TIE fighters do

The point of TIE fighters thematically is to emphasize that like stormtroopers Imperial pilots are expendable and the only way they win fights is by there being a lot of them

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03lVhBL_Nls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQSqCvpAVQQ
watch in that order :v:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

In a New Hope more rebels fighters are destroyed on screen than Tie Fighters.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

In a New Hope more rebels fighters are destroyed on screen than Tie Fighters.

they were always outnumbered though. the TIE system works!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

rogue one establishing that hyperdrive speed from anywhere to anywhere is a couple minutes max really raises the question of what is even the point of capital ships.

But that’s way down on the list of questions raised by nu Star Wars. up top is: why does any of this star warring matter at all if even under the ‘good guys’ pre and post empire the median galactic citizen is a slave miner on the arid planet of Fuckshit IV. prequels on are deep in the end of history mindset where material conditions are unchangable, all that matters is how nice and polite the ruling class is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also why is there a low-speed chase in last jedi, how does that remotely make sense in a world with FTL travel, couldn't the first order just put some more ships in front of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

X-Wing VS Tie Fighter makes it pretty clear that the Tie Fighter sucks poo poo and only the Tie Interceptor is comparable to the X-Wing.

Edit: Also maybe Rogue Squadron.

Even the interceptor doesn't have shields or missile launchers.

It's funny how the exact opposite is actually true in real life. The big evil empire is usually the one with baroque, expensive junk wagons.