Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

In non Elon news, ontario might be getting ourselves a general strike.

Crackmayor's dumber brother, the Coward Douglas Ford, decided that he would violate the charter of Rights and impose a horrible contract on education workers. Now other unions are PISSED, and are threatening a general strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dear God.

And isn't "Libertarian" at this point pretty much "I'm a Republican but don't want to own it"? You'd think anything with "Lib" in it would be spooky.

I'm not entirely sure. The ones I know IRL aren't gay-bashers and do follow through by voting for bizarro 3rd party candidates but they also have jobs funded 100% by the American taxpayer so ideological consistency isn't their strong suit.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Its just an excuse to be a selfish rear end in a top hat while working a job thst depends entirely on the government.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dear God.

And isn't "Libertarian" at this point pretty much "I'm a Republican but don't want to own it"? You'd think anything with "Lib" in it would be spooky.

Libertarian these days means that they want to be free of all moral and legal constraints that limit their ability to steal, rape, and oppress. This principle does not apply to others, however. Everyone else needs to be fully regulated.

Anyone calling themselves a libertarian these days is a con artist and likely pedophile. The actual libertarian movement, in the sense of the greatest personal freedom for the greatest number of people, died when the tea party thing happened. Libertarianism doesn't exist. It's just fascists and criminals that have rebranded themselves as something easier to market.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Props to Kathy Griffin for staying relevant.

Currently the 1st, 2nd, and 5th most popular discussions on Reddit. Oh no don’t give her nonstop attention for doing little she hates that.

If this nonsense ends with Andy Dick being declared a paragon of free speech gonna be annoyed.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 7, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dear God.

Libertarian was always just GOP with Pot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

on cue-ish:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1589641962814320640

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1589641134095024130

He's also implied a possible tortious interference lawsuit against the ADL, NAACP, etc due to some dumbass Tom Fitton idea (Fitton's advice got Donnie raided at Mar-a-lago).

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, non-religious republicans who smoke weed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

It's not that any more.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm sure the advertisers fleeing in droves will love this on top of everything else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

It's not that any more.

American Libertarianism remains pretty much that. They nearly always align with the GOP on issues and vote almost in unison with them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just LMAO

Elon: Twitter will become the most accurate and unbiased news source in the world

Also Elon: Vote Republican

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dear God.

It's "republican but at least honest about drug use". I would say republican who likes drugs but who am I kidding

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Libertarian chat brings up my favorite political alignment chart. Thoughts about AOC:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The only one I might like more is the "everything is x except x, which is cool"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

American Libertarianism remains pretty much that. They nearly always align with the GOP on issues and vote almost in unison with them.

It's not a political movement. It's a smokescreen for the absolute worst impulses one can indulge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

It's not a political movement. It's a smokescreen for the absolute worst impulses one can indulge.

You just described the GOP as well.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Libertarian chat brings up my favorite political alignment chart. Thoughts about AOC:

Always hate this chart because it implies Libertarian is the opposite of Authoritarian rather than just a different Authoritarian movement.

The opposite of Authoritarian is not Libertarian, nor are Leftists more Libertarian the further they go down the chart, its such an insane grift to push the idea that "Well, maybe we're all slightly libertarian!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There was a time when libertarians talked about defunding the police, long before blm or the more left leaning democrats were talking about it. That libertarian party doesn't exist any more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

There was a time when libertarians talked about defunding the police, long before blm or the more left leaning democrats were talking about it. That libertarian party doesn't exist any more.

They wanted to defund the police because it was a government service, they were perfectly okay with Corporations/For profits filling the void. In reality, not much has changed there.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CommieGIR posted:

They wanted to defund the police because it was a government service, they were perfectly okay with Corporations/For profits filling the void. In reality, not much has changed there.

Yeah I remember being a teenage libertarian two decades ago and talking about how police should be disbanded and replaced with a market of essentially PMCs each property owner could hire to enforce their rules. We hung out and said stuff like obviously if racism is really a problem then the racist police companies will get fired and the free market will fix things.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

At this point I'm honestly scratching my head over why anyone would want to remain on twitter out of their own free will.

God I loving hate Musk, he's like a roided up Lowtax. I hope twitter burns to the ground.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Elon is now making masturbation jokes about a half-assed twitter competitor:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1589656082133045248?t=tmiJQOzru81FAxtneoUvPg&s=19

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1589656788299059201?t=EvVELKMn6_NLDIitecd42w&s=19

ADVERTISE ON MY PLATFORM OR IT'S CANCEL CULTURE

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Keyboard goop? Is....is that you????

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dear God.

Libertarians care about protecting their girlfriends from the state's coercive power to make them ride in a booster seat

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I miss sovcits being a circus attraction and not a political party

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Same is true of elephants, now that I think about it

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1589411516738326528

Hard to beat this one though:

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1346903658819162118?s=20&t=7by3YA1yuYn_XoyZeeZyKA

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

golden bubble posted:

As the thailand cave crisis and the shipping of starlink to Ukraine showed, Musk is very good at jumping on trends, and he inherited a shitton of cash for jumping on treads.

remind me, did he launch the starlink "assistance" before or after he publicly announced his annoyance with bandwagon addition of ukrainian flags to social profiles

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Same is true of elephants, now that I think about it

Elephants don't deserve to be lumped in with republicans

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuclear Tourist posted:

At this point I'm honestly scratching my head over why anyone would want to remain on twitter out of their own free will.

The watch the site (hopefully) burn to the ground.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

Elephants don't deserve to be lumped in with republicans

Agreed. If it weren't for the symbolic association they would probably run the country drat well.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Posting the whole thing from behind the paywall because gently caress Dylan Byers

quote:

A Licht in the Attic

In the last 72 hours, at least twenty CNN employees (on-air talent, rank-and-file staff, and more) have called or texted me, many of them unsolicited, to convey that things have never been worse.

When Chris Licht was named chairman and chief executive of CNN, some mere eight months ago, he told employees that his boss, David Zaslav, had given him “one simple directive: to ensure that CNN remains the global leader in NEWS.” The mandate, with its all-caps emphasis on “news,” was actually more nuanced than Licht suggested, and contained within it the seeds of the Zaz-Lichtian thesis for what CNN should be, and what it shouldn’t.

First, the mandate was a repudiation of the anti-Trump grandstanding that had permeated the era of Licht’s predecessor, Jeff Zucker, and that had come to define the network in the eyes of its critics, and even some supporters who found it polarizing, or at least long in the tooth. Under Licht, the new boss suggested, CNN would air news, not outrage—which would hopefully draw back centrists, even if it alienated some power viewers, all in the name of expanding the network’s total addressable market and owning the middle in a market where Fox News had the right and MSNBC the left. Second, it was a declaration of CNN’s intention to focus exclusively on “news,” and not pursue expensive ancillary projects that could just as easily live on HBO Max or Discovery+, or not live at all.

There was a logic here. As I’ve noted before, CNN’s brand value—about $10 to $15 billion, by many estimates, given its $1 billion in profit—came from the integrity of its journalism and its unparalleled newsgathering prowess, not the fulminations of its most highly-paid anchors. As Zaz and Licht saw it, Zucker was potentially sacrificing the value of CNN’s brand in a bid for short-term ratings gains. To them, his notion of building out CNN further—through its own streaming platform, say, or Stanley Tucci and Eva Longoria-type lifestyle I.P.—was to miss the point. They wanted a smaller, shrunk-to-greatness, just-the-facts product, and the quickest way to articulate the thesis was, well, “NEWS.” The brand power would endure, they assumed, and people would continue to see CNN as a necessary fixture in their lives, at least for those big moments like elections and invasions, or the death of the Queen.

Eight months later, the criticisms of the Zucker era seem like nitpicking compared to the current predicament. It’s become clear that there’s more than one way to potentially jeopardize CNN’s long term business prospects beyond a temporary leftward lurch during a norm-shattering presidential administration—namely, by making it largely irrelevant to viewers in all but the most newsworthy moments, destroying its mechanisms for growth, and, perhaps most critically, losing the faith of the newsroom.

These days, amid record-low ratings and a new round of layoffs that Licht had once promised not to make, the morale at CNN is lower than it has been at any point in the decade that I’ve been covering the network. (As many of you know, I used to work there, too.) In the last 72 hours, at least twenty CNN employees, including on-air talent and rank-and-file staff, have called or texted me, many of them unsolicited, to tell me, in one way or another, that things have never been worse.

As everyone here already knows, Licht arrived at CNN with an ace reputation as a great news producer, someone known for eliciting the best from elite talent. And yet he swiftly made a series of decisions that confounded many industry insiders (beyond the inconsequential decision to tone down chyron display copy). First, he signaled that he was going to operate at an altitude above the newsroom. Unlike Zucker, the network president who was ensconced in the center of the action, with an office in the middle of the scrum, Licht was the C.E.O., despite a notable lack of business pedigree. He also opted to run his operations from the corporate floor, not the newsroom, either intentionally or inadvertently sending spooky signals to talent and executives, almost as if he were The Watcher.

The early months of the Licht era were filled, alas, with cuts—vanquishing CNN+, defenestrating Stelter, etcetera—and being a good corporate soldier as economic headwinds amplified and Zaz’s Herculean cost-cutting operations at the parentco level came into full view. It was only in recent months that he began the building part of the job.

Since formally taking over CNN in May, Licht has made two big programming decisions. The first was his call to move Jake Tapper to 9 p.m., historically the most lucrative and highly rated hour in primetime. The decision was said to be a temporary move for the midterms, but as I’ve previously reported, Licht’s goal all along was to make Tapper the permanent host of the 9 p.m. hour, and the face of his CNN. (Tapper had long been reticent about taking a primetime role, in part because it would take him away from his family—hence the need to court him with a trial run.)

The effort, however, quickly fizzled: Tapper’s viewership cratered week over week, and as of this Monday he was drawing less than 450,000 total viewers, with just over 100,000 in the advertiser-relevant 25-to-54-year-old demo. On Wednesday, I asked Tapper by text if he intended to keep the primetime slot. He did not respond, but an hour later a CNN spokesperson told me that Tapper would be returning to his 4 p.m. slot after the midterms. The spokesperson said CNN would announce “post-election plans for that time slot in the coming days.” (I also learned today that Tapper’s longtime P.R. representative Lauren Pratapas, a vice president of communications, has been let go by the network.)

Licht’s other big swing has been a new CNN morning show, helmed by Don Lemon, formerly one of CNN’s strongest assets in primetime, which debuted on Tuesday. The inaugural episode drew just 387,000 total viewers and 71,000 in the 25-to-54-year-old demo—numbers that are significantly lower than the last incarnation of CNN’s New Day, and that media executives described to me, by turn, as “brutal,” “humiliating,” and “an abject disaster.” The show is still in its first week, and may eventually find an audience. These things almost always take time, and Lemon and his co-hosts, Poppy Harlow and Kaitlan Collins, are among the most popular and well-liked stars at the network. But the delta it needs to bridge in order to claim success by any metric is significantly wider than perhaps initially thought.

On the growth side, Licht has effectively neutered the original series and films division by eliminating the budget for acquisitions and moving all production in-house. Some sources at the network are dubious that Licht will follow through on his promise to create an in-house studio to do original series, and several believe that Amy Entelis, the widely revered executive who oversees that division, will leave within a matter of months. (Entelis did not respond to a request for comment.)

As I reported last week, CNN’s digital operation is also likely to be curtailed. Representatives for the network have repeatedly tried to tell me that CNN’s digital and newsgathering units, which were recently combined into one unit, would not be a focus of the impending layoffs and budget cuts, and that digital remains a growth area for the company. But multiple sources with direct knowledge of the matter assured me that the layoffs at CNN digital and newsgathering would be extensive.

What is perhaps most notable about the outreach I’ve received this week is the overwhelming lack of faith in Licht himself. This goes well beyond the rank-and-file staffers who are fearful that they or someone they know might be laid off. It includes notable on-air talent who no longer trust in Licht’s leadership, his vision, or his ability to execute in the one area where he has historically excelled, which is producing quality news programming.

Yet there is one strange wrinkle that makes this story even more complex. Sure, the inexorable decline of linear is upon us. And, yes, Licht may have hastened CNN’s retreat through a few tugs on the wrong levers. But he’s got the enduring faith of a boss running the same corporate strategy on a larger level, and his colleagues no longer have the obvious professional alternatives that they would have a half-decade ago. Whether anyone likes it or not, Licht is stuck with CNN, and CNN is stuck with Licht—at least for now.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Current Event: Florida is going to have a rough week. Hurricane Nicole is currently forecast to hit Florida's Sargasso coast on Wednesday morning (Nov 9).

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

In non Elon news, ontario might be getting ourselves a general strike.

Crackmayor's dumber brother, the Coward Douglas Ford, decided that he would violate the charter of Rights and impose a horrible contract on education workers. Now other unions are PISSED, and are threatening a general strike.

Good news on that front,
https://twitter.com/hamiltonnolan/status/1589684915658182656

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I wonder if this is going to kick off a month or two of hurricane insanity or if it will be a light season.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The Onion is going for it:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1589691741711765504

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1588698683662831617?t=68X3kIP_oNfGvkt32bjm6Q&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

facialimpediment posted:

Elon is now making masturbation jokes about a half-assed twitter competitor:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1589656082133045248?t=tmiJQOzru81FAxtneoUvPg&s=19

Imagine trying to explain all of this to aliens picking through the wreckage.

Well you see, there was this guy who just wanted to be loved and accepted as a good poster, but just couldn't help getting owned endlessly. And then while he was distracted by trying to impregnate as many of his employees as possible, his ex dated a famous trans woman...

(3 hours later)

...and that's why I'm living in a toppled grain silo and grilling this rat on a spit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anyone actually on twitter with musk blocked? I've seen a bare handful of reports that he's getting spontaneously removed from people's block lists, which is just :lol: