Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Was playing against a Doomfist today and even though our team won the dude was an absolute problem terror in our backline. And of course his useless team was blaming him for the loss and I was like "he was diving in and getting picks and the rest of you were literally hiding!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the beauty of the mmr system is the vast majority will get an ~50% win rate doomfist at their rank, so it's a fair chance to win

unless it's a doomfist pick w/ 30m total on a lark then yah youre probably hosed

if someone is a doomfist main/OTP at that rank, then it would actually be ironically throwing for them to not pick doomfist b/c they'd likely suck more w/ other heroes

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Calibanibal posted:

Screaming is an exaggeration I guess, but I think I have been called out by somebody in every doomfish game I've played. Of course people also get mad if I play Lucio and dive the enemy backline instead of healing so I dunno. Its QP, just let people cheese

the blackhardt skin is canon. although I also like the chinese skin where the beads on his necklace are bigger than his head

In that case it's a monk's spade https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk%27s_spade

Those beads are also meant to be skulls.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I think I figured out why I was extra salty this week... Solo queueing QP and backfilling into losing games. Then losing full games. Even if my full games are 50/50 (and I assure you they are not), backfilling into a loss makes the losses add up, and that doesn't feel good. It's especially frustrating when several of the weeklies require a certain number of wins. When I looked this evening I had two wins out of ten games (and this wasn't even solo queue this time, but feels indicative of my overall experience as of late).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm reasonably sure that, while you don't win, backfills don't count as a loss. Or maybe it's the case that you have to play a certain amount of matches.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

imo don't tie fun to having to win the game and youll be a lot happier

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Reiterating again that Widow is awful to play against, enough so that I'll drop everything that I'm doing to switch to Winston or go Valkyrie Mercy to dive her enough for that player to switch off from playing her. With Genji or Pharah I might be tempted to switch too, but I don't try to obsessively hunt them down the way I do with an enemy Widow. :argh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't really play much comp so generally I let Doom players do their thing and if they're sucking rear end I'll put something like "maybe we need a different tank?" in chat, but if they don't swap then I'm not bringing it up again. If they want to play their favourite hero they should be able to.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BabyRyoga posted:

Numbers are such a dumbfuck tonedeaf way to try and balance something, though. If there was a hero so strong that it was literally picked 100% of games, the winrate would be below 50%, because every match ever would include exactly 1 win and 1 loss, + the draw variation.

This will literally never happen, though, so what you just do is go "matches with x where the mirror isn't being played" and work with data that comes from that. There are (or at least, was, lol blizzard) people who's jobs are to just manipulate data 100's of ways to get a mostly correct outcome based on numbers.

Granted, this won't catch the "this is loving miserable to fight against" factor.

headcase posted:

Yeah it would be fine if the rail gun was not a OHK, but a finisher, or if the machine gun did a lot less damage with more falloff and the slower charge time that comes with that. I definitely think that a fully charged headshot should not kill a 200hp player.

Yeah I kinda roll my eyes every time i walk around a corner and get oneshot by her, especially if its on the final push and my tanks given them a full charge. Really not much I can do about it aside from "don't peek and hope she doesn't save it for you", but she's gonna get someone, the buff on its hitbox is silly.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Reiterating again that Widow is awful to play against, enough so that I'll drop everything that I'm doing to switch to Winston or go Valkyrie Mercy to dive her enough for that player to switch off from playing her. With Genji or Pharah I might be tempted to switch too, but I don't try to obsessively hunt them down the way I do with an enemy Widow. :argh:

Hey, some of us are unhinged lunatics that grapple constantly, play on the point, and use our machine gun and poo poo.

Winston's no big deal, by the way. He has to go far away from healers and a quick shot and full clip of the machine gun will put him in a lot of danger if he's backlining. That can trade a tank for a DPS if Widow's team is on the ball. Plus he has a huge head and predictable movement. Moira is probably the real annoying one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Calibanibal posted:

Screaming is an exaggeration I guess, but I think I have been called out by somebody in every doomfish game I've played. Of course people also get mad if I play Lucio and dive the enemy backline instead of healing so I dunno. Its QP, just let people cheese

the blackhardt skin is canon. although I also like the chinese skin where the beads on his necklace are bigger than his head

To be fair, it is reinhardt, it doesn't matter if anything is bigger than his head, the dude doesn't really have much of a brain left after all of the ramming into walls.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
We have a matchmaking system that attempts to place people in similarly-skilled games, where "similar skill" is based on how likely each team is to win the game.

Also we looked at the data and most heroes have a pretty close to 50% winrate. This data definitely reflects how balanced the heroes are against each other and has nothing to do with our matchmaking figuring out exactly how good people are when they play their main.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jabor posted:

We have a matchmaking system that attempts to place people in similarly-skilled games, where "similar skill" is based on how likely each team is to win the game.

Also we looked at the data and most heroes have a pretty close to 50% winrate. This data definitely reflects how balanced the heroes are against each other and has nothing to do with our matchmaking figuring out exactly how good people are when they play their main.

Based on what we know about OW1's matchmaking where numbers were visable, "similarly-skilled" games means the combined total of each team's MMR is roughly equal, but not the MMR of each player is roughly equal. This became pretty apparent when stacks of any size joined games, cause you'd see games with the same total values but one team would have a player above that value by a large amount, and below that value by a large amount.

Perfectly balanced. The numbers have been balanced!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Anyone have tips on picking up Lucio? I watched this primer on wall riding, but a lot of what's being shown off there feels like fairly precise trickery that i don't think I can get close to. Any tips on moving from the theoretical to actually being able to do it, to learning how to apply it in game?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Maybe it sounds dumb but you just gotta force yourself to do it. This might lead to a temporary losing streak but when it comes to rote execution it's just a matter of conscious repetition. Like forcing yourself to go for the harder combo you've been practicing in a fighting game instead of the simpler one you already execute perfectly, or attempting difficult mid air headshots when a bodyshot would get the kill anyway. You'll probably spend annoyingly long periods of time trying to climb a wall while some Zarya rolls over you when you could have just escaped with an amp speed boost, but eventually you'll be able to just zip right up and save the amp(or escape when amp is on cooldown).

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

not watching that vid but

turn on character specific backwards wall riding
bind jump to mwheeldown and space
jumping off a wall has a cooldown to wall ride again
the cooldown is very short if you go on a different surface/wall (e.g. the two walls making up a corner)
jumping off a wall speeds you up
you can spam mwheeldown next to a wall to instantly wall jump for a speed boost
you can indefinitely spam mwheeldown on walls and corners to constantly be wall jumping and gain a lot of height

practice in a custom game

try to get good at scaling large heights with your wallride

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm reasonably sure that, while you don't win, backfills don't count as a loss. Or maybe it's the case that you have to play a certain amount of matches.

I'm not concerned about my stats. I'm frustrated that more of my games end up with a defeat screen than not. This was last night, I wasn't even solo queueing, or backfilling.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Also doing custom game mode 'Lucio Surf' is good fun way to practice fundamentals of wall skimming.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Bind jump to RMB for Lucio

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aexo posted:

I'm not concerned about my stats. I'm frustrated that more of my games end up with a defeat screen than not.

How are those different? Why does it matter? Also those are all >5 mins, not last minute backfills to a defeat screen.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

How are those different? Why does it matter? Also those are all >5 mins, not last minute backfills to a defeat screen.

It matters in that Blizzard gives me goals (20 wins in genreal, 10 wins each on two roles, etc.) but the hidden MMR seems to consistently match me with players that are better than me/my team and makes me unable to reach those goals in a reasonable amount of time. I get there will be bad days and there will be good days but it doesn't feel like I've had a good day in well over a week. Blizzard talks about designing the game to focus on the positive, but it sure feels like they're consistently throwing me into situations that don't make me feel like I'm having positive experience.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Countblanc posted:

Maybe it sounds dumb but you just gotta force yourself to do it.

This is good, thank you. I just have to get used to feeling awkward for a bit.

comedyblissoption posted:

not watching that vid but

turn on character specific backwards wall riding
bind jump to mwheeldown and space
jumping off a wall has a cooldown to wall ride again
the cooldown is very short if you go on a different surface/wall (e.g. the two walls making up a corner)
jumping off a wall speeds you up
you can spam mwheeldown next to a wall to instantly wall jump for a speed boost
you can indefinitely spam mwheeldown on walls and corners to constantly be wall jumping and gain a lot of height

practice in a custom game

try to get good at scaling large heights with your wallride

Well, this makes me feel better about taking Eskay's advice in the video, since a lot of it is the same between your post and there, haha.

Splinter posted:

Bind jump to RMB for Lucio

Can I ask why? Not being snarky, I just don't see how moving the bind from one button with a dedicated finger to another would be helpful (especially since that comedyblissoption says space bar).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Never heard of binding it to anything but mouse wheel which works great. Where do you move Boop?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Aexo posted:

It matters in that Blizzard gives me goals (20 wins in genreal, 10 wins each on two roles, etc.)

Just go for 8 out of 11 weeklies and ignore the last 10 coins. 7 arcade wins is not fun at all and I just wrote it off

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

sojourn can just stand in the back, hold m1 for a few seconds to build up 50-100 power, then the moment you see your crosshair headshot, railgun and continue m1 to finish them off or watch them burn their mobility cooldown to get to the backline.

be sure to throw your orb of fuckery in the general direction of the enemy team to continue farming god drat i love sojourn

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Boxman posted:

Can I ask why? Not being snarky, I just don't see how moving the bind from one button with a dedicated finger to another would be helpful (especially since that comedyblissoption says space bar).

I find it way more comfortable double tapping RMB constantly than banging on the spacebar all match. This was especially the case w/ old wall ride (which had much more strict rules about how a wall ride could be continued which made precise timing more important), but I still can't imagine going back to having jump on the keyboard. A lot of people do scrollwheel but RMB isn't that uncommon for Lucio mains and I feel like it's easier to adjust to compared to the wheel. Honestly though just go in the practice range and experiment with what feels best to you.

Bottom Liner posted:

Never heard of binding it to anything but mouse wheel which works great. Where do you move Boop?

I have boop on a thumb button and melee on space.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Inept posted:

Just go for 8 out of 11 weeklies and ignore the last 10 coins. 7 arcade wins is not fun at all and I just wrote it off

I'm already writing off the team kills one. Thankfully it's no longer 20, but 10 still is iffy if I'll ever get it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I also moved jump/wall ride to RMB and it helped a lot. There's something about controlling everything with one hand that makes it much easier. I also bound boop to space bar and kept melee on mouse5

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aexo posted:

I'm already writing off the team kills one. Thankfully it's no longer 20, but 10 still is iffy if I'll ever get it.

Given the way team fights tend to go in this game it's really not a big ask at all. They happen basically every game, and multiple times depending on map type.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

scrollwheel is superior to rmb b/c the intent of the scrollwheel is to make timing trivial since it absolutely spams the input far faster and you can more reliably get the walljump input ASAP

but if scrollwheel feels awkward for you then use rmb or w/e feels more comfortable

the space is just so that you have some button to hold down for wallriding since you can't hold mwheeldown

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

scrollwheel is superior to rmb b/c the intent of the scrollwheel is to make timing trivial since it absolutely spams the input far faster and you can more reliably get the walljump input ASAP

but if scrollwheel feels awkward for you then use rmb or w/e feels more comfortable

the space is just so that you have some button to hold down for wallriding since you can't hold mwheeldown

Yeah this is how I play. Scroll wheel to get moving fast, hold space to actually ride. Holding or spamming any mouse button besides LMB tends to affect my aiming.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Given the way team fights tend to go in this game it's really not a big ask at all. They happen basically every game, and multiple times depending on map type.

It's kind of hard to pull off when someone can disengage like sombra or ball, or when the enemy comp involves snipers and divers.

Also below plat, there is always a few people W-ing to point with their brain off and without their team. I can imagine it being hard to engineer team kills in bronze quickplay.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Your experience does not seem to match mine. Glad it's workin for other folks though! I think I participated in 6 all week last week, only getting one in the three hours I played yesterday.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Inept posted:

For what it's worth placing in the top half counts as a win in deathmatches, so if you're decent at the game it's one of the faster weeklies. Plus Mystery Deathmatch is a fun game mode, get to play all kinds of heroes without any kind of team pressure or complaints.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 7, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you can probably replicate it relatively easily with an autohotkey macro for RMB, although i dunno if that'll trip something on blizzard's end. i'd be surprised if it did, but caveat emptor, etc.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kanfy posted:

For what it's worth placing in the top half counts as a win in deathmatches, so if you're decent at the game it's one of the faster weeklies. Plus Mystery Deathmatch is a fun game mode, get to play all kinds of heroes without any kind of team pressure or complaints.

that sounds ok for a couple of wins but then would get boring

deathmatch in overwatch isn't very good

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My favorite arcades are 3v3 and lucioball

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

headcase posted:

It's kind of hard to pull off when someone can disengage like sombra or ball, or when the enemy comp involves snipers and divers.

Also below plat, there is always a few people W-ing to point with their brain off and without their team. I can imagine it being hard to engineer team kills in bronze quickplay.

One in every ten games or so. The W trickle is real down here.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vermain posted:

you can probably replicate it relatively easily with an autohotkey macro for RMB, although i dunno if that'll trip something on blizzard's end. i'd be surprised if it did, but caveat emptor, etc.
1. this is considered cheating by blizzard since it violates the 1 button = 1 action rule
2. blizzard does ban for unscrupulous autohotkey macros and this might get dinged automatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

this is stupid but how do you play Reaper?

like, i played in the launch wave and just came back for this one, i typically main Echo and Bap so i think i understand the game. his teleport just seems so slow and his damage has never clicked with me, but drat he has some cool skins