Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

rope kid posted:

It's some dish involving oranges. Sorry that's vague but I can't remember the specifics. It's not just a bowl of oranges. They're prepared... somehow.

Looks like rose petals, which suggests baked or boiled in syrup maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That orange dish is interesting, I'd love to know if it was actual food or a show-off dish for the host to flaunt their wealth and access to imported fruits/spices.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

That orange dish is interesting, I'd love to know if it was actual food or a show-off dish for the host to flaunt their wealth and access to imported fruits/spices.

I assume it's a mixture, since my limited citrus knowledge is that oranges would've been a (fairly bitter) delicacy during the 16th century. Boiling them in syrup or something similar to offset the bitterness isn't a bad guess.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

berenzen posted:

Pentiment cookbook confirmed?
I hope you guys like organ meats

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
But my gout…

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Just gimme the recipe for ergot poisoning and we'll call it good :shroom:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's easy you just make rye bread but you use rye grain that has ergot alkaloids on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can't wait to accuse innocent people of murder.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Pentiment: Josh Sawyer's incidental ergot-induced dream game

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

rojay posted:

Looks like rose petals, which suggests baked or boiled in syrup maybe.

Update: candied oranges with rose petals.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
This is why rope kid is the best game dev: he really follows through on the important stuff.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

rope kid posted:

Update: candied oranges with rose petals.

Finally my knowledge of ancient cookery comes in handy. :chef:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/11/10/recommended-reading-of-medieval-history-from-josh-sawyer/

Let it be known I will never read a book with Cheese and the Worms in the title.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know, that book actually sounds utterly fascinating.

"Ginzburg was one of the first historians to start popularizing micro-historical examinations of what could today be classified as weird little dudes."

:hellyeah:

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

quote:

At the heart of it all was his belief that all the elements combined at creation into a cheese-like mass out of which worms appeared. The worms ate through the cheese, one of him became God, and the rest is history.

definitely sounds like a weird little dude thought up this theory.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So I'm a expecting an 8-10 hour runtime, broken into a series of separate chapters, a time-limit akin to Disco Elysium, and some overarching conspiracy to give the story a spine. Either way I've already bought it.

Maybe there will be New Game + bonus and penalty modifiers like in Deadfire?

I will recommend Case of the Golden Idol for anyone who wants another historical detective game but can't erase their memory of the Obra Dinn, so they can enjoy it again.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 11, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think rope kid said it’d be more in the 15-20 hour range.

Challenge skulls in a hidden UI element would be a pretty sick idea for an update though. Make one force you to play in Latin or something.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SpiritOfLenin posted:

definitely sounds like a weird little dude thought up this theory.

And not just any weird little dude either !
The guy was a miller. Which, in medieval terms, is sort of like being the regional manager of some big brand or other - upper middle class, lower bourgeoisie. He was rich-ish. He, quite literally, owned the means of production. Living a comfortable life. He had enough money that he splurged it on *books*, of all things. Not only did he know exactly what he risked by running his mouth, he had every material incentive to shut the gently caress up about his weird dumb poo poo.

And yet, he never really did. Well, he paused for some time after the first trial, before the urge to Say The Weird Dumb poo poo became too hard to resist.

The man had the heart and soul of A Poster long, long before posting ever was. And he was murdered over it. Hats off, memelords. Fs in chat. Pour 'em for a real one.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 11, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I wonder when the review embargo on pentiment, the year's most anticipated game, will go down

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Monday.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

:thanks:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also notable that extreme operatic (in the big and scary sense, not cheesy) metal singer/composer fka Lingua Ignota cut a track for the OST. I’m told it rips

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
I came to say that I am unreasonably excited for this game but now I'm unreasonably excited to get my hands on a copy of Dürer’s Journeys. That book sounds awesome.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's good.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1591178784564477952

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

FYI preload is up on steam if 5.2 GB seems daunting on launch day.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Just saw this video and I'm stoked to buy it once I get paid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjIfxeNhrj4&t=283s

I don't know how to post videos because I am a luddite and it starts in the middle I think. Sorry.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

rojay posted:

I don't know how to post videos because I am a luddite and it starts in the middle I think. Sorry.

This looks so good.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Excited to cut some cookies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm resisting watching any teasers or trailers because I want the game to be completely new to me. Definitely looking forward to playing this.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

rojay posted:

King Burgundy posted:

This looks so good.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Seems like they're showing off gameplay here- https://twitch.tv/obsidian

for extra life.

That + Inkulinati

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 13, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So what about Hussites? Any Defenestrations?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
has anyone here tried a cockatrice?a guyo n youtube made one and it actually seemed oddly basic, you basically just make the best sounding stuffing ever and put it inside two animals sewn together and cover them in egg yolks on repeat for hours

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The basic turducken is already obscene in its decadence. I cannot imagine going further beyond

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

has anyone here tried a cockatrice?a guyo n youtube made one and it actually seemed oddly basic, you basically just make the best sounding stuffing ever and put it inside two animals sewn together and cover them in egg yolks on repeat for hours

This sounds like a special effects technique from a 1982 horror movie

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just how dumb was the "historical accuracy" claim made by Kingdom Come Deliverance?

I got that game for free but never bothered with it because it's an open-world game built on Cryengine and has a terrible save-system.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just how dumb was the "historical accuracy" claim made by Kingdom Come Deliverance?

I got that game for free but never bothered with it because it's an open-world game built on Cryengine and has a terrible save-system.

more problematic than dumb. They did have actual historians they consulted in making the game, and a lot of the game zones are based directly on, like, scans of actual castles that are still standing. And the combat was based pretty directly on medieval fightbooks via HEMA re-enactors.

There's a weird undercurrent of Czech nationalism etc. in the game though and there's plenty of stuff that doesn't show up in the game but that could have historically with no problems (e.g., everyone is white, even though there would have been plenty of foreign trade, etc.)

The overall sin is that they present the game's history as definitive ("we got it right" type thing) rather than debated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ilitarist posted:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/11/10/recommended-reading-of-medieval-history-from-josh-sawyer/

Let it be known I will never read a book with Cheese and the Worms in the title.

Wheeeee I have a longer reading list thanks!

I'm going to kramer a link into this thread because in my head it's relevant --

A few years ago I did a Let's Read of The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle. You can read it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934938

Since the Robin Hood ballads were all set in the 1100's to 1300's, and written down in the 1400's to 1600's, Pyle used an art style to illustrate them that very consciously called back to Durer and other engravers:

Anyway, a free download book to read while the game downloads!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jesus, glad you're recovered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The overall sin is that they present the game's history as definitive ("we got it right" type thing) rather than debated.

Yeah, it was ugly back and forth between the director (or lead designer, doesn't matter) and other people with a lot of strawman stuff. He concentrated on people asking for more ethnic diversity by quoting historians about how unlikely such a thing would be in their setting, which would be fair if he made a documentary. But he made a game about a smith's son who never held a sword in his hand before the start of the game becoming buddies with the nobles, saving the kingdom, optionally using alchemy and all that jazz. The dev couldn't just stop after saying "sorry, we're making a game with a specific scope", he continued to hammer on the idea he makes the objectively right thing.