Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk, they seem pretty content to just charge through it in my experience. All the big squishy enemies don't seem to instantly catch like the cultists et al.
The ground fire effect is a lot stronger than hitting them directly. If you spray down a bit of fire right in front of the big guys, they die to it quite fast. (Though I think chainsaw guys resist fire in general.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, also: GZDoom updated with some new toys for modmakers to play with (textured particles, skeletal 3D models) that can lead to better performance for certain things with appropriate use, as well as proper Users-folder storage for the settings file.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dreamsicle posted:

I've finally decided to get Duke 3D crossed off my backlog and I'm really liking it a lot. Are there any good mod/map recommendations or at least good places to find them? I may not be looking correctly, but it seems harder to find good Duke 3rd party content compared to Doom or Quake.

Alien Armageddon is fun, in a very maximalist way.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Been playing the MCC lately and I've been saving Reach for last since I assumed it would be a good palette cleanser if I finished 4 first.

As it turns out, I started playing Halo 4 the day before its anniversary, which I found out from 343 giving me an announcement once I returned to the main menu.

It's not necessarily a bad game, but I can see why this was the real "Halo-killer." (Master Chief talking too much, scripted melee take-downs happening seemingly at random that leave you vulnerable in a series where melee is viable on the vast majority on targets and is fun and satisfying, other weird scripted sequences that pad out playtime)

To be a bit more on-brand for the thread: Aleph One is bugged for me; why can't I interact with any terminals beyond the first one in a map? It was like this when I tried Marathon 1 and Durandal recently.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The soundtrack (and new update) for Viscerafest Chapter II dropped and it's just as killer as chapter 1's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20nzO4BmJO0

Those djent riffs. The biggest of chef kisses.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Similarly, is there some way to force the next round to start so I don't have to stand around for x-seconds after a previous round ends? Maybe it's something obvious and I've completely overlooked it.

Never mind I just figured it out: the option to force the next round to start is access from the shop menu. Didn't expect it there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah I don't like the whole timed shop thing they got going on. In fact other than the actual combat and the levels which work WAY better than I feel they should, I don't like several of the decisions of the survival. Starting with I can't see how much I fricking spent by the end!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

I've finally decided to get Duke 3D crossed off my backlog and I'm really liking it a lot. Are there any good mod/map recommendations or at least good places to find them? I may not be looking correctly, but it seems harder to find good Duke 3rd party content compared to Doom or Quake.
Here's a bit of an overview, but it mostly focuses on the three biggest mods (and those three are big, almost unfathomably so):
https://www.pcgamer.com/duke-nukem-3d-mods-setup-guide/

Among vanilla-gameplay map packs, a very well-regarded recent one is Shaky Grounds. Some further recommendations in this Doomworld thread.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Carpator Diei posted:

Here's a bit of an overview, but it mostly focuses on the three biggest mods (and those three are big, almost unfathomably so):
https://www.pcgamer.com/duke-nukem-3d-mods-setup-guide/

Among vanilla-gameplay map packs, a very well-regarded recent one is Shaky Grounds. Some further recommendations in this Doomworld thread.

Thanks, I did see that PC Gamer link but I wanted more vanilla maps. The Doomworld link is very helpful.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

My favorite thing about the Quake Remaster was the Dimensions of the Machine episode, which led me to playing Arcane Dimensions which I also really enjoyed. I'm the weirdo who prefers Quake 2 single player to Quake 1 but these mods really captured me in a way that OG Quake never really did. Is there any mod / level pack to the same quality level as these for Quake 2?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Woolie Wool posted:

Remember my map "Zugzwang" from a few days ago and the community map jam that was in jeopardy? Well it got released against all odds as Mungfunger: Shadow of the SS Guardmutant, featuring seven ECWolf levels by different contributors and a bizarre nonsense storyline with a ridiculous memey ending screen. Aside from the ridiculous title screen, credits screen, and ending screen, all the assets are vanilla WL6 stuff.

Map list:
MAP01: NIght of the Snozzwangers by AstroCreep
MAP02: Muncho Blitz by saintdinnah
MAP03: Slaughterhouse by Aurora
MAP04: Exposure Therapy by big guy
MAP05: Dine and Dash by Kovacs
MAP06: Zugzwang by Woolie Wool (:toot:)
MAP07: Big Momma's House by Dunkelschwamm

I want you to know that I played through this and enjoyed it a lot. Your map wins the award for map in the jam that pissed me off the most, because I had to savescum the hell out of it to finish it. Anyway good job 10/10 :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm currently on holiday and on a decade-old laptop that deals with the modern internet about as well as it deals with quantum theory, but occasionally some retro FPS news still lands by my low-FPS ears.

Cat Machine's newbie wad continues to make waves: The Guardian did a lengthy piece on the up and coming genre of games that satire the state of England, and two thirds of it is dedicated to retro FPS mods because fate is very weird.

https://twitter.com/immorpher64/status/1589249095054823425

https://twitter.com/sunset_city_rpg/status/1589406220355788801

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought I’m Too Young To Die: The Ultimate Guide to First-Person Shooters 1992–2002 as a Christmas present for my brother and read through some of the included PDF, it's really excellent. The formatting is gorgeous. I think it's well worth the asking price for anyone here.

Is there an easy way to get this working on Steam Deck?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I bought I’m Too Young To Die: The Ultimate Guide to First-Person Shooters 1992–2002 as a Christmas present for my brother and read through some of the included PDF, it's really excellent. The formatting is gorgeous. I think it's well worth the asking price for anyone here.

Yeah, it's a great book and very well written. I think it sets out the development of the genre really clearly, including bits on the hardware developments at the time and covering quite a few games I'd completely forgotten about. A good substitute for going back and paring through old game mags for info!

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I'm keen to get the book but shipping to where I live costs more than the product itself. Shame they don't just sell the pdf version.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Dsmif posted:

My favorite thing about the Quake Remaster was the Dimensions of the Machine episode, which led me to playing Arcane Dimensions which I also really enjoyed. I'm the weirdo who prefers Quake 2 single player to Quake 1 but these mods really captured me in a way that OG Quake never really did. Is there any mod / level pack to the same quality level as these for Quake 2?

No but there are many more for quake.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Glagha posted:

I want you to know that I played through this and enjoyed it a lot. Your map wins the award for map in the jam that pissed me off the most, because I had to savescum the hell out of it to finish it. Anyway good job 10/10 :v:

Thanks! "Zugzwang" was heavily inspired by modern challenge Doom mapping and its emphasis on movement and AI funnelling, might have overdone it a bit. It probably wouldn't be so bad if I could keep guards from opening the doors of the monster closets early, but new door types would have broken the rule of "no new assets".

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mostly had the issue that I kept running out of ammo because of the elite guards but I toughed it out. The opening bit was fun, I enjoyed figuring out how to move to avoid getting lit up. I'm also just not very good at Wolfenstein I don't play it much

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my theory about Cultic's protag is the original guy died and came back controlled by The Will. I think it's gonna be like Blood where the entire cult has been left as a sacrifice to feed their weakened god enough for him to take on the world. Like as far as we can tell, 100 health IS already abnormally high just based on the protag being table to tank more hits by default than any cultist (who i think are all imbued to some extent) even on extreme. The super monstrous enemies outside of the harvesters are, based on the notes, all corpses that were imbued a shitload. I think the gasmask and FG42 guys are the like top level of 'still human' imbued, and the harvesters seem to have been so imbued it damaged their sanity (based on the note you find in the first harvesters lair). the bellymouth guys, floating sack guys, leaping corpses, and blue gorillas are all imbued corpses rather than imbued alive guys.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is that so? I thought only the zombies were imbued as corpses (sack might just be zombies in sacks?) and the others were imbued alive, just to various degrees.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The maximum health upgrades in Cultic are imbued remains. So either the cult did something to the protagonist, or he accidentally imbued himself by touching them. If it's the latter, I'm wondering whether there will be an achievement or secret ending for beating the game without grabbing any of them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's that journal in the penultimate level by the remains that says something like "don't move this, don't even touch it!"

I like the idea that he's eating a glowing skull he finds in a sewer pipe or whatever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like how there's some sort of debate in a game that's basically man literally too angry to die. It's not a lot of lore mind you but it's compelling enough that you'll at least ask some questions. I deleted all my saves but I think I remember the note you find in the archives with the armor to be pretty interesting but I'm not entirely ready to do another playthrough just yet. I'm still mad there's no way to see how much you spent in survival

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is that so? I thought only the zombies were imbued as corpses (sack might just be zombies in sacks?) and the others were imbued alive, just to various degrees.

theres a note in the mines (i think in the area with the yellow earthmover and pile of corpses) that talks about the telekinetic stuff like floaty sack boys and skeletons being the result of imbuement experiments with corpses, and a note i think in the mine town about how anything imbued while dead comes back animated only by instinct or fear. theres a note i think also in the mines about how multiple imbuements make crazier results whether you do it with corpses or alive people, so theres at least a couple of tiers of 'dead' imbued.

i could be wrong about the belly mouth guys, but based on the note by the tnt trap w/ gorillas the blue gorillas are hostile to the cult as well as outsiders, whereas the harvesters are still functional enough to work alongside the cult without murdering them. they seem to have to corral and dispose of the regular zombies, usually as cannon fodder, and you see them together with the blue gorillas in a way you don't see regular cultists + zombies hanging out, or regular cultists + blue gorillas hanging out.

im not sure about this theory bc the floaty sack boys seem to be able to hang out with the cultists and they seem like they're imbued dead in some notes? i could be wrong.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The note about corpses coming back wrong is right before you encounter the zombies, the note in mines is the one about further imbuing things leads them to be dominated by fear alone. The skeletons are the remains of the original cultists, there's a note about how the imbument remains in hem even without tissue and the bones seem to be held together by something like telekinesis.

The brutes and tummymouths could be heavy imbued corpses, I guess there's nothing saying either way, bit the impression I got was the ghosts and harvesters were definitely imbued alive, and they're regularly around live cultists. I think the other guys only show up near regular cultists once you get to the asylum and they start glowing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I liked the beware of dog sign. I expected another one in extreme tbh.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The note about corpses coming back wrong is right before you encounter the zombies, the note in mines is the one about further imbuing things leads them to be dominated by fear alone. The skeletons are the remains of the original cultists, there's a note about how the imbument remains in hem even without tissue and the bones seem to be held together by something like telekinesis.

The brutes and tummymouths could be heavy imbued corpses, I guess there's nothing saying either way, bit the impression I got was the ghosts and harvesters were definitely imbued alive, and they're regularly around live cultists. I think the other guys only show up near regular cultists once you get to the asylum and they start glowing.

the gorillas seem more dead purely bc they have skull heads, i think i assumed the ghosts were like an advanced form of the sack zombies in the first harvester area

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I don't know if our protag is special or not, but I'd rather him be a hardboiled detective taken off the case trope. Too tough and mad to die. I like the time and place it takes in too, and his furry jacket. Health pick ups should have been thermoses of black coffee.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dexedrine pickups so he can pulp fools with his fists like doomguy with berserk

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Now I'm just imagining Cultic's protagonist is Nicky Belane from Bukowski's Pulp--just a perpetually drunk rear end in a top hat punching people in the gut like "soft mounds of dead poo poo" and gazing too long into the void.

Plenty of appropriate quips too. "I'm not dead, just in a rapid state of decay" and "You only live once, right? Well, except for Lazarus. Poor sucker, he had to die twice."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao @ the ending to Prodeus

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tiny Timbs posted:

lmao @ the ending to Prodeus

Still a better final stage than either Doom game.

Yay for clearing low bars!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
From the guy that made Disdain (this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2113270/DISDAIN/ )

https://twitter.com/NashMuhandes/status/1589151520763039745

https://twitter.com/NashMuhandes/status/1589151869792038913

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Whoever first created Zdoom must have such a shiteating grin on his face from all these standalone project announcements.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Serephina posted:

Whoever first created Zdoom must have such a shiteating grin on his her face from all these standalone project announcements.

Marisa walked away in 2017 and was already halfway out the door for years before that, so I doubt it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This has nothing to do with that neat Bakersfield teaser clip that came out a month or two ago btw.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
two fallout 1 gzdoom games lol this should be interesting

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Deakul posted:

This has nothing to do with that neat Bakersfield teaser clip that came out a month or two ago btw.

Aye ya I should have clarified.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

site posted:

two fallout 1 gzdoom games lol this should be interesting

Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

Marisa walked away in 2017 and was already halfway out the door for years before that, so I doubt it.
She floats back in a couple of times a year with a bug fix or two, she’s not a complete stranger.